How do you deal with depression? - Page 7 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 01:33 PM   #91
country flag T_P

T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of T_P has much to be proud of
Re: How do you deal with depression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by debby View Post
Wow so you got diagnosied early
And I guess you are on medication with a therapy?

Do you think bipolarity might be in the genes? My psychiatrist is convinced I am not bipolar as she thinks I am actually very stable and my depression from last year was due to a general breakdown. But apparently, it's in the genes (of course not only genes determinate your bipolarity)...
Bipolarity is very much genetic: heritability of 80-85%.
Advertisement

Old Jul 17th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #92
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Хлоэ View Post
bad thoughts and etc?
I wish I could tell you there was one surefire way of recovering - I know when I was at my worst points I'd make threads like on this on forums (never on this forum though, I had appearances to keep up ) just hoping someone would be able to give me a step-by-step guide of how to get better. But the reality is everyone needs to find their own solution, and what helps one person recover from depression doesn't work for everyone - don't believe people who say getting exercise everyday or just trying to think positively or just trying to bury yourself in work/social life to not give yourself time to think about your problems, are guaranteed cures - they work for some people who have depression, and they MIGHT work for you, but they didn't work for me, there's nothing guaranteed about it.

The only advice I feel I can really give you is to give yourself time, lots and lots of time. A couple of years ago, I kept trying to set myself deadlines for when I wanted to be cured of depression and be a "normal" person and not have to take medication, and when I didn't meet the pressure I was putting on myself I just felt doubly worse... I kept trying to overdo it by doing too much before I was ready, like I tried to start university twice already because I felt it was unacceptable and embarrassing to still be living with parents when (seemingly) everyone my age wasn't, I kept trying to force myself to go out nearly everynight because that's what "normal" students do and that's what it seemed like all my old friends from school were doing (judging by their Facebook photo albums ), I kept trying to deny I was still feeling worse inside than I should've been, but each time I tried to do all that I just ended up going back to square one.

It's only been in the last 12 months when I accepted that it's going to take however long it takes and that it's going to have to be gradual that I finally started to make progress (to use the cheesy psychobabble, I only started to recover when I "stopped defining my life by other people's / society's expectations of me and allowed myself time to find what was right for me" ).
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #93
country flag Martian Jeza
Crazy Conspiracy Theorist, Politically Incorrect

Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute Martian Jeza has a reputation beyond repute

Still wondering if there are people like me suffering of very severe anxiety disorders here but hey Toma : as I said, you can count on me, sweetie

Loads will accept being deceived and being whores of the system : a few others with ethics and values decided to be Free Human beings

BNP Paribas, JP Morgan, Lagardere are criminals : WAKE UP !
Martian Jeza is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #94
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow so you got diagnosied early
And I guess you are on medication with a therapy?

Do you think bipolarity might be in the genes? My psychiatrist is convinced I am not bipolar as she thinks I am actually very stable and my depression from last year was due to a general breakdown. But apparently, it's in the genes (of course not only genes determinate your bipolarity)...
Yea I was 16 when I was diagnosed (pretty much when I discovered this forum actually, coincidence?)

I think all mood related disorders can be inherited, for example my mom suffered of major depression when she was my age & then again another episode when I was little, so did my dad, my grandma is bipolar too (she refuses treatment).
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #95
country flag Root

Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute Root has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven. View Post
not really on the topic of bipolarity but just a general thought about depression

I think the best way to cope with it is just to realise why you're depressed and address it, with the ultimate goal of becoming a better person by the end of it. Just to think of positive thoughts like things WILL DEFINITELY be much better than before. You just need to overcome the problems in your life and at the same time becoming a better person for your own sake, and for the sake of those around you.

there's no point in running away from your problems. Just gotta push through each day and think positive and make a better person out of yourself.
I spent months trying to figure out the causes of my distress and depression with my psychologist but we reached a dead end. It's more like I don't know what's wrong or why but I can feel its effect in my daily life. But if you know your depression is a reaction to events, addressing them will definitely help.

Quote:
Actually, there are a few degrees of bipolarity. It might be slight bipolarity or severe one.
You know, my mom has seen a few doctors, and she discovered about her disorder only at 40 when I already knew 4 years before... so maybe you should seek informations about different mental disorders related to depression or I don't know, because it is more and more the case nowadays. And if you are treated only for depression while you have a mental disorder, it won't fully help you.

But maybe you only suffer from a depression and you need much, much time.
When you are not in your episodes in which you feel like absolute shit etc etc (like what you described in the other post), how do you feel?
Yeah, I understand the degree varies across the spectrum. It took me a lot of fighting and denial before I finally accepted I suffered from depression so I don't know what I'd do if I was actually given a bipolar disorder diagnosis instead. So yeah, for now I'm depressed and I'm perfectly content.

I feel pretty "normal". As in not a very elevated mood or a very low one. Just about right. I'd get mood swings but they are usually reactive in nature and last minutes or hours, rarely a day or seven. I was reminded of what I had done during the last episode and to be honest, it all seemed alien to me. It's almost like we were completely different people. This is also why it's difficult for the psychotherapist and I to work on things now as I'm currently not "in the mood" and I feel very disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
I wish I could tell you there was one surefire way of recovering - I know when I was at my worst points I'd make threads like on this on forums (never on this forum though, I had appearances to keep up ) just hoping someone would be able to give me a step-by-step guide of how to get better. But the reality is everyone needs to find their own solution, and what helps one person recover from depression doesn't work for everyone - don't believe people who say getting exercise everyday or just trying to think positively or just trying to bury yourself in work/social life to not give yourself time to think about your problems, are guaranteed cures - they work for some people who have depression, and they MIGHT work for you, but they didn't work for me, there's nothing guaranteed about it.

The only advice I feel I can really give you is to give yourself time, lots and lots of time. A couple of years ago, I kept trying to set myself deadlines for when I wanted to be cured of depression and be a "normal" person and not have to take medication, and when I didn't meet the pressure I was putting on myself I just felt doubly worse... I kept trying to overdo it by doing too much before I was ready, like I tried to start university twice already because I felt it was unacceptable and embarrassing to still be living with parents when (seemingly) everyone my age wasn't, I kept trying to force myself to go out nearly everynight because that's what "normal" students do and that's what it seemed like all my old friends from school were doing (judging by their Facebook photo albums ), I kept trying to deny I was still feeling worse inside than I should've been, but each time I tried to do all that I just ended up going back to square one.

It's only been in the last 12 months when I accepted that it's going to take however long it takes and that it's going to have to be gradual that I finally started to make progress (to use the cheesy psychobabble, I only started to recover when I "stopped defining my life by other people's / society's expectations of me and allowed myself time to find what was right for me" ).
And the right thing for you was trolling in TF?

I very much agree with what you posted. Your answer to your particular mental crisis will be different to mine or theirs. I don't think there is a "right" way to get through it. As widely spread as depression and anxiety are, I feel they are both very personalised and that's why it's hard to give OP a guide so to speak.
Root is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #96
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matías. View Post
Cool story bro. What part of I was asking a question you didn't understand?

And anyhow considering I'm bipolar myself I think I'm more than qualified to at least recognize the symptoms, don't you think?
It was aye bro! mint story bro! Should be published for a pulitzer.

sweet bro!

you are? I'm sorry to hear that.

I'd be getting a second opinion If I was you , Sounds like your' shrink is a few maoris short of a seabed dispute
ranfurly is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:24 PM   #97
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranfurly View Post
Sheep make me happy though
That's what mince pies are for
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #98
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

sweet bro!

I'd be getting a second opinion If I was you , Sounds like your' shrink is a few maoris short of a seabed dispute
Wow! You just like being the jerk, don't you?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #99
debby

debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute debby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

sweet bro!

Yup, I now understand better people who begged me to include you in TWAT.
debby is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #100
country flag ranfurly

ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute ranfurly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
That's what mince pies are for
Funny that, you know the Pie Bin down Wairakei Road? I got myself a pie for lunch this monring from there!

It was either that or the Cranberry and Cheese one, nippy down this part of the Island today. Hows Welly?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #101
country flag ranfurly

Quote:
Sure, why not?

Quote:

Yup, I now understand better people who begged me to include you in TWAT.
Not too sure what TWAT was, but mine would be pretty tight none the less.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #102
country flag Nicolás89

Quote:
Sure, why not?
Nice edit btw.
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #103
country flag kittyking

kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute kittyking has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Funny that, you know the Pie Bin down Wairakei Road? I got myself a pie for lunch this monring from there!

It was either that or the Cranberry and Cheese one, nippy down this part of the Island today. Hows Welly?
Omg yummy thats the one near burnside right?

Welly sucks, I wanna go back to Chch...
... I didn't mean it sucks in a bad pleasurable way
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #104
country flag ranfurly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyking View Post
Omg yummy thats the one near burnside right?

Welly sucks, I wanna go back to Chch...
... I didn't mean it sucks in a bad pleasurable way
Yep, Just up the road from the subway and the dairy run by the asian crew, on the left going into town!

Welly blows literally, Your' partner wanting to come down as well?
Old Jul 17th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #105
country flag kittyking

Quote:
That's not very kind man, if you want to conquer depression this is not to go the way to go about it
Kittykings reasons why;
1. It's not particularly nice
2. What's that dash above the i in your username, its groovy baby
3. I've been trying to find a name that rhymes with your name, with no success
4. Ranfurly is a sexy fella, if your nice he may even post a shirtless pic