Nicole Gibbs - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #1
country flag simonsaystennis
Team USA

simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute simonsaystennis has a reputation beyond repute
Nicole Gibbs

Time for Nicole Gibbs to get her own thread!!! She completed her sophomore year at Stanford by winning the NCAA singles title and doubles title with teammate Mallory Burdette.

She kicked off the summer by qualifying for and winning a 50k in Denver, Colorao and finishing runner-up in doubles with Florida's Lauren Embree. She got a WC into the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford, where she will play Noppawan Lertcheewakarn for a 2nd round meeting with Serena Williams.

Vandeweghe ~ Mattek-Sands ~ King ~ Hampton ~ Riske ~ Glatch ~ Capra ~ Albanese ~ Brengle ~ Craybas ~ Rogers ~ Stephens ~ Boserup ~ Davis ~ Keys ~ Hardebeck ~ Brodsky ~ Gibbs ~ Pegula ~ Min ~ Townsend ~ Duval ~ Vickery ~Kiick
simonsaystennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #2
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Nicole Gibbs

Thanks for getting this thread going!

Some links for Nicole: Twitter (Gibbsyyyy),Stanford, ITF, WTA activity, College results, and Zimbio photo stream.

This Stanford Daily interview gives some insight into Nicole. Many GM posters seem to be asking why she's in college at all if she's so good. In her words,
Quote:
I always tell people that I was a giant nerd, and when I was 10 I really wanted to go to Harvard. But then I got good at tennis, and I figured the Ivy League might not allow me to maximize my potential. So I asked my dad which school is best at athletics and academics in the country, and he told me that Stanford was probably my best bet. From age 12 until I committed to come here, I was just head-over-heels with the school, and when I visited I just knew this was the place I wanted to be.
The first time I ever saw Gibbs play was at the Florida@Stanford 2011 NCAA team final. My friends & I sat front row at Court 3 because the 1&2 were packed, and little did we know what we were in for. We just loved her spirit & enthusiasm. That picture in the first post pretty much sums her up. I came back to watch her again for her 2011 NCAA singles semifinal run & BOTW qualifying last year. I wasn't surprised to see her make the 2011 US Open girls semis and then emerge as NCAA's best player this past season.

I'm looking forward to her main draw match in a half hour. I don't much about the Thai player, other than that she was a very successful junior, with a weak serve and good return game. Should be fun.

Last edited by NYKiriFan : Jul 14th, 2012 at 02:55 AM. Reason: Added Zimbio link, interview
NYKiriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #3
country flag Srodgers

Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Nicole beat Lertcheewakarn 64 64

Now against Serena
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light

First WTA main draw win, so psyched for her! Now she hosts Serena on her No. 1 court. What a year she's had.
Old Jul 10th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
country flag NYKiriFan

By my count, Gibbs has a 26-match win streak in singles: 17 from college, 8 from ITF Colorado, and today. Serena has only a 7-match win streak from some place called Wimbledon. Serena lost the first match of her previous tournament, some place called Roland Garros. So advantage Gibbs!

We also know the player Serena struggled the most ag ainst at Wimbledon was 5'5 Jie Zheng, the same height as Gibbs within an inch!

At the very least, Gibbs can't do worse than Serena's first opponent here last year, Rodionova, who got double bageled. Sharapova, Lisicki, and Bartoli weren't much better either. (Only Kirilenko, another clever but not overpowering player, could take Serena to 3 sets.)
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #6
country flag NYKiriFan

Some local press for Gibbs today (no boilerplate wire reports):
Serena Williams next opponent for Nicole Gibbs (Palo Alto Online)
Stanford tennis star has Serena Williams right where she wants her (San Jose Mercury News)
Tale Of The Tape: Nicole Gibbs vs. Serena Williams (Stanford Athletics)

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #7
country flag NYKiriFan

A couple more:

Serena's a Reasonable Jump (Half Moon Bay)

Fox gave the following AP photo the caption "Congrats, Nicole Gibbs. Your reward? Serena Williams."

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8
country flag Ivanovic2008

Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Go Nicole!
She is really pretty too
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9
country flag NYKiriFan

Bank of the West posted her postgame press conference from the first round.

Last edited by NYKiriFan : Jul 15th, 2012 at 04:37 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #10
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKiriFan View Post
Some local press for Gibbs today (no boilerplate wire reports):
Serena Williams next opponent for Nicole Gibbs (Palo Alto Online)
Stanford tennis star has Serena Williams right where she wants her (San Jose Mercury News)
Tale Of The Tape: Nicole Gibbs vs. Serena Williams (Stanford Athletics)

Thanks for all the lincs
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #11
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKiriFan View Post
By my count, Gibbs has a 26-match win streak in singles: 17 from college, 8 from ITF Colorado, and today. Serena has only a 7-match win streak from some place called Wimbledon. Serena lost the first match of her previous tournament, some place called Roland Garros. So advantage Gibbs!

We also know the player Serena struggled the most ag ainst at Wimbledon was 5'5 Jie Zheng, the same height as Gibbs within an inch!

At the very least, Gibbs can't do worse than Serena's first opponent here last year, Rodionova, who got double bageled. Sharapova, Lisicki, and Bartoli weren't much better either. (Only Kirilenko, another clever but not overpowering player, could take Serena to 3 sets.)
Wow, that's a stellar win streak I look forward to seeing her play Rena
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 01:44 AM   #12
country flag NYKiriFan

6-2, 6-1 Serena.

Serena on Gibbs, via @StanfordWTennis: "She hits the ball well, she's a good player and doesn't quit. Actually has a good first serve....It's good to see promising young American players coming up. She's a fighter, and that's important."

Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #13
country flag NYKiriFan

Up next for Gibbs: San Diego wild card.

Gibbs Earns Experience Points in Defeat (Palo Alto)

Here also a great local news feature:

Last edited by NYKiriFan : Jul 14th, 2012 at 02:50 AM. Reason: added youtube
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #14
country flag Ivanovic2008

Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute Ivanovic2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Great try Nici
Serena is just too good.
Old Jul 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #15
country flag NYKiriFan

I don't think we saw close to the best of Gibbs this tournament. She played a lot of tennis last week, 8 matches to win Colorado from qualifying & then made it to finals of the doubles draw too. Then she flew in Sunday night, and then she was probably the only one in the tourney who had to play singles back-to-back days the first two rounds (Tue & Wed). She still competed well of course, but her serve & net play weren't really there in singles or doubles yesterday. Looking forward to see how she builds on these "experience points" in San Diego while benefiting from just a little more time off.

(photo: philosoph on fickr)

Last edited by NYKiriFan : Jul 15th, 2012 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Added photo