Wimbledon - Page 22 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #316
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchdogfish View Post
I'm mad and sad for her too. She played a superb match, really high quality, and she started the strongest when play resumed on Centre Court. Then Aga got that lucky net cord and she fell to pieces. 30-30, she only needed 2 more points! I could understand her losing confidence if she had hit a bad error but the fact it was down to a net cord she had no control over I just don't get. All that excellent play and attitude undone. Sad thing was, I was watching waiting for the meltdown to happen and it did I guess it's just something to expect when you support Maria.
Maybe the difference between Radwanska and Kirilenko 2 days ago was that Aga has had a real tennis coach the past year and her game has taken off to heights most people thought she would never reach. But she's a gamer, is very smart on court and is clutch. Masha was the better player that day yet Aga still won. But there is no way Aga should now have 5 straight wins over Maria. That is appalling to me.

I was not waiting for a Makiri meltdown but it happened when Aga got that lucky shot. Kiri lost 10 of the last 11 points in the match. But at age 25 with 10 years on the WTA Tour that should not have bothered Maria so much. I am willing to cut Kiri some slack for all the stops and re starts in the match. Maria is sinewy and tightly muscled and it might not be easy for her to re start a match a few times in colder weather. Aga isn't built as tightly muscled as Maria so staying loose may be easier for her to do.

Watching Radwanska routine Kerber who looks slow and serves so slowly today thus far in their match makes me sad knowing Makiri could be doing the same thing to Kerber that Aga is. But Lisicki should be sicker with the match she blew to Kerber.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 5th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #317
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light

I was hoping the ESPN pregame today would at least give Kiri some respect for the match against Radwanska. Nope. Chris Evert basically said the only reason why the match was close was because Radwanska "had such an easy route and no test at all and just wasn't match-tough enough." She did say Kiri "fought hard" but it was a patronizing remark in this context. Maybe Kiri will actually get some respect if Radwanska pulls off the final upset, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least Radwanska postgame immediately acknowledged she won today in spite of her tough QF.

I'm sad Kiri's not back for Stanford this year, as I happened to be in the Bay Area this summer & last summer. But I can't blame her. Frankly I'm surprised Stanford's getting the quality they are given the schedule this year.

Last edited by NYKiriFan : Jul 5th, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
NYKiriFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #318
country flag peterlein

peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all

ok, so radwanska got the final, and kiri is still the only one to won a set against her...
I am really proud of maria's wimbledon performance, despite her unnecessary losses in both singles and doubles!

..on the other side, I am still a bit sad, I guess Kiri could be now in the final instead of aga

but maria will come strong to the olympics, I am sure of that!
..just remember the last years us open, there are some things in common with wimbledon: she fought very hard against sam, won the longest tiebreak in women's grand slam history and still lost at the end...ans in the doubles she lost very unlucky in the semis..
after that us open, she played her best tennis from the whole last season!
I hope it will be the same this year

maria should take out all the positive things from wimby, her ankle finally seems to be ok, and I am sure she is so hungry now to win a medal at the olympics!

...olympic bronze medalist...
peterlein is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #319
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Tough loss in doubles as well for Maria. She and Petrova led 4-1 3rd set, 4-2 30-0 (on their serve) 3rd set, and were up 5-4 30-15 (Williams sisters serving)

What I really want to see in the rest of the season is Maria winning a singles title again. It's been since Seoul in 2008 since she won one.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #320
country flag NYKiriFan

NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light NYKiriFan is a glorious beacon of light

If Radwanska can upset Serena like Stosur did, then everyone should start rooting to have Kiri in their draw to push them

I agree a singles title for Maria would be good for her confidence. Radwanska winning San Diego last year really put her on the right track, and then bigger and bigger titles have kept coming.
Old Jul 7th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #321
country flag NYKiriFan

Well, Radwanska goes on to have a somewhat respectable final & the Williams sisters go on to win Wimbledon. Kiri & Petrova probably gave the sisters their toughest match, though it seems the sisters picked up steam as the tournament went on. Can't help but wonder what might have been. Now we can await as the media will not give much credence to Kiri & Petrova's medal chances because of the early Wimbledon exit. I assume the sisters will be the favorite again at the Olympics, but Kiri & Petrova in reality have as good a chance as any of the top 4 or 5 teams after them.
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #322
country flag peterlein

peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all peterlein is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYKiriFan View Post
Well, Radwanska goes on to have a somewhat respectable final & the Williams sisters go on to win Wimbledon. Kiri & Petrova probably gave the sisters their toughest match, though it seems the sisters picked up steam as the tournament went on. Can't help but wonder what might have been. Now we can await as the media will not give much credence to Kiri & Petrova's medal chances because of the early Wimbledon exit. I assume the sisters will be the favorite again at the Olympics, but Kiri & Petrova in reality have as good a chance as any of the top 4 or 5 teams after them.
I am thinking exactly the same! yeah what might have been....
maria in both singles and doubles in the final I guess, with winning the doubles (outlasting the williams sisters in R2) plus runner up in the singles..
but nevertheless, I was so happy to see maria in such a great shape at wimby
she really has some chances to medal at the olympics, especially in doubles! kiri/nadia can beat everyone, and with a nice draw, maria could also get her chances in singles

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #323
MK Ultra

MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute MK Ultra has a reputation beyond repute

I just want her to make an upset soo bad. Her last upset was against Stosur in Beijing... She needs to prove she belongs in the top.
MK Ultra is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #324
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was hoping the ESPN pregame today would at least give Kiri some respect for the match against Radwanska. Nope. Chris Evert basically said the only reason why the match was close was because Radwanska "had such an easy route and no test at all and just wasn't match-tough enough." She did say Kiri "fought hard" but it was a patronizing remark in this context. Maybe Kiri will actually get some respect if Radwanska pulls off the final upset, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least Radwanska postgame immediately acknowledged she won today in spite of her tough QF.

I'm sad Kiri's not back for Stanford this year, as I happened to be in the Bay Area this summer & last summer. But I can't blame her. Frankly I'm surprised Stanford's getting the quality they are given the schedule this year.
Thanks for letting me know what Chris Evert said post match. Evert was condescending to Kirilenko before the match like she had no chance against Radwanska unless Maria played unbelievably well. The truth is Maria and Aga are very similar players skill wise and mobility wise. No doubt Radwanska has a better mind and is more clutch. Aga wins titles and Maria hasn't won a singles title since 2008. And Aga's self belief is what pulled her through in the end. That and that screwy schedule and all the stops and re starts in that match. The odd thing to me is that many years ago Makiri used to train at the Evert Tennis Academy in Boca Raton, Florida. While Kiri is not a graduate so to speak of the Evert academy the way Maria Sharapova was at Bollettieri's she did train there and so few players who have trained at Evert's have done anything good as pro's. So you would think that Chris Evert would have nice things to say about Maria's game. But she doesn't. What, Kirilenko's 52 winners against a great defensive player like Radwanska on a terrible weather day to play tennis didn't impress Chrissie? Kiri's 52 winners and 30 unforced errors are amazing statistics in women's tennis for a player like Kiri who does not have alot of power. Maria got those amazing 52 winners through her skill not her brawn like Serena Williams does.

Who knows maybe Evert has something against Maria for not spending more time training at the Evert Academy than she did. But it was sad to her Chrissie glow on about Aga and treat Maria like she was an afterthought. Aga is better than Maria at this point in their careers but Maria was the more impressive player in thier match even though she lost. Yet the media treated her like she was an afterthought. Maybe that's because Kiri is ranked #19 and not #3 like Aga or maybe it's because some people in tennis think Kirilenko is only a pretty good player and nothing more. Kirilenko may very well have that "pretty good only" stigma about her. Well it's time for Makiri to prove them all wrong by making the top 10 and a grand slam semfinal in the next year or so. I also hope she wins a singles title this year. Even if it's a small one. That would do so much for her confidence.

Damn I wish Maria played 20 or 30 years ago when the women were so much smaller than they are now. Kiri would have cleaned up on alot of top players then.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

Old Jul 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #325
country flag Remix13

Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of Remix13 has much to be proud of

I'm so happy

Federer

17 Slams, n°1

Federer is so godlike

He saves ATP tennis
Old Jul 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #326
country flag peterlein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix13 View Post
I'm so happy

Federer

17 Slams, n°1

Federer is so godlike

He saves ATP tennis
Oh YESSS, sensational!!

King Roger is back! I am so happy too!

thank you so much roger, I really enjoyed this final!

so all in all, a fantastic wimbledon for me! Maria in the Quarterfinal
she finally took advantage from a nice draw, she won every match she "should" win, and that without choking at all!
She even was about to get that big upset against worlds no 3, when almost everyone expected a clear loss...unbelievable tennis from maria, I will have bittersweet memories from that match forever ..

Thank you Maria, Thank you Roger

Old Jul 10th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #327
country flag NYKiriFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cat View Post
Who knows maybe Evert has something against Maria for not spending more time training at the Evert Academy than she did. But it was sad to her Chrissie glow on about Aga and treat Maria like she was an afterthought. Aga is better than Maria at this point in their careers but Maria was the more impressive player in thier match even though she lost. Yet the media treated her like she was an afterthought. Maybe that's because Kiri is ranked #19 and not #3 like Aga or maybe it's because some people in tennis think Kirilenko is only a pretty good player and nothing more. Kirilenko may very well have that "pretty good only" stigma about her. Well it's time for Makiri to prove them all wrong by making the top 10 and a grand slam semfinal in the next year or so.
Evert was also really dismissive of Radwanska back in the Austrialian Open for not having weapons, when she was only 8 seed, and Evert didn't really start pumping Radwanska's tires here until there was a clear patch to the final. Evert clearly was at best a casual fan of the tour before she became a commentator. She doesn't know much else about individual players other than what she sees while watching the top players at Slams and some familiarity with the Williams sisters & Sharapova & Clijsters. She barely acknowledges tennis exists apart from the Slams. I doubt she carries any kind of grudge against Kirilenko.

Pam & Mary Jo at least came around to recognize they were watching a fantastic match with Radwanska. They at least had some respect for her, having remembered her upset of Sharapova in Australia 2010.

Matt Cronin is the one writer who gives Kirilenko due respect for her game, though he still will pick against her more than I like (he was wrong on Peng this event, wrong on McHale in US Open).

Quote:
I also hope she wins a singles title this year. Even if it's a small one. That would do so much for her confidence. Damn I wish Maria played 20 or 30 years ago when the women were so much smaller than they are now. Kiri would have cleaned up on alot of top players then.
Old Jul 11th, 2012, 01:35 AM   #328
the cat

Quote:
Evert was also really dismissive of Radwanska back in the Austrialian Open for not having weapons, when she was only 8 seed, and Evert didn't really start pumping Radwanska's tires here until there was a clear patch to the final. Evert clearly was at best a casual fan of the tour before she became a commentator. She doesn't know much else about individual players other than what she sees while watching the top players at Slams and some familiarity with the Williams sisters & Sharapova & Clijsters. She barely acknowledges tennis exists apart from the Slams. I doubt she carries any kind of grudge against Kirilenko.

Pam & Mary Jo at least came around to recognize they were watching a fantastic match with Radwanska. They at least had some respect for her, having remembered her upset of Sharapova in Australia 2010.

Matt Cronin is the one writer who gives Kirilenko due respect for her game, though he still will pick against her more than I like (he was wrong on Peng this event, wrong on McHale in US Open).

I think Chris Evert still has a huge ego and I would not be at all surprised if she held grudges against people for any reason. And yes she does not know tennis like she should since she's a color commentator on TV. She is Chris Evert afterall so she likely thinks she can just show up and say things and people will believe her. As a color commentator she is not at the level of Mary Jo Fernandez and Pam Shriver.

As for Makiri she is getting respect from tennis writers such as Matt Cronin and Jon Wertheim. That is good news.

Old Jul 11th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #329
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

On twitter there's #shitchrissiesays. It's quite the compilation of Chris Evert's greatest hits.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote