Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1 - Page 12 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #166
country flag johnnytennis

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice
Re: Coaching changes - NCAA Div. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
I heard the Maryland coach was fired
Head coach for less then a year and they're making a change? Talk about jumping the gun!
johnnytennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #167
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
Head coach for less then a year and they're making a change? Talk about jumping the gun!
Just looked, don't see that anywhere. Diane is still listed as head coach. She is one of Fantic's big timers from USC.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #168
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Just looked, don't see that anywhere. Diane is still listed as head coach. She is one of Fantic's big timers from USC.
Heard it from a girl on the team who just found out today
ats_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #169
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantic View Post
wow, can UCSB challenge LBS for the Big West championship?

But who are they recruiting? Lots of seniors last season..guess we'll see good Canucks at SB?

Good hire tennis wise. Gonna change a lot of things there.. intensity to start. More agressive recruiting next. And he's a fairly good X & O coach.

If they fund him up a little more (int'ls) they could be super strong. Having said that, his super strong teams included girls that should not have been eligible in MHO (Gloria and # 2 Russian.. both serious prize money as I recall)... most recent 3 classes have tailed off for either recruiting, admissions or geographic reasons... plus lousy academics at Fresno too. Maybe the Euro girls figured out it was a crappy place to live for four years?

Can't blame him for leaving.

Compete: YES... maybe not year one with the graduations and no recruiting this year... but that could leave him wide open to make a huge impact a year from now.

He will change the culture... this is a SERIOUS tennis coach; not someone who lets the team run the roost.

Lastly, he has his hands full with several of the current team who are 'interesting' on court and rumored to have been part of the coup that took out the old coach. Good luck changing the crew without starting a riot THIS YEAR.

But down road, if UCSB can give him funding and int'l admissions, they could supplant several traditional BW schools. Easy recruiting of CA kids if you can offer just a bit more money... # 1 choice behind the four Calif. Pac 12 schools.

Having said that, if the CA state budget gets any worse it ain't gonna matter for anyone but SD State (football money) and Hawaii (football money). The UC's could face as bad or worse tuition/fee increases than the CSU's are getting.

Next question: Who does Fresno hire? Yikes... terrible place to live.

Last edited by form : Jun 12th, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #170
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
huhh. weird, huhh
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #171
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
huhh. weird, huhh
Apparently some of the girls on the team are unhappy with her as a coach. That explains some of the transfers and there are even more players asking for releases from the team. And I talked to a girl that will be going to school there who was just told today that Diane had been fired.

Obviously I can't be 100% since there has been no official statement from Maryland but I am just relaying the message I have heard from multiple girls on the team.
ats_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #172
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

I just realized that this Dianne lady used to teach me tennis back in the day....when I hated tennis and didn't care for it.

So that's the university in Maryland she went to....

My world has gotten so much smaller, and if this rumor is true, that's sad.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #173
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember seeing Dianne was listed as an interim head coach. Was she ever upgraded to full head coach? That could be the reason why she was it for only a year.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #174

johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice johnnytennis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
I assumed the person that mentioned it knew! I also saw she was still listed as their coach on the website and saw she was promoted to head coach last July so it would seem strange to not give someone more then a year even though she was the assitant coach before that!
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM   #175

Tyler Thomson named new Head Women's Tennis Coach at William & Mary
http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewAr...B_OEM_ID=25100
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 03:17 PM   #176
country flag form

Lots of deck chairs moving this year

Maryland still has not indicated a coaching change nor pulled Dianne's info as head coach so this appears to be a false rumor?

Fresno did not make an announcment their coach left but did pull his bio and info

Thompson did a nice job at Minnesota; now they have an opening like Fresno, GT and Stephen Austin.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM   #177
country flag Tennis Sea

Tennis Sea is an unknown quantity at this point

Drake Bernstein, who as an assistant helped lead the University of Alabama to it's highest school ranking ever this past year has been named assistant womens tennis coach at his Alma Mater, the University of Georgia. I would think he would make a noticible
impact on the Georgia program.
Tennis Sea is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #178
country flag Tenniswish

Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice Tenniswish is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Sea View Post
Drake Bernstein, who as an assistant helped lead the University of Alabama to it's highest school ranking ever this past year has been named assistant womens tennis coach at his Alma Mater, the University of Georgia. I would think he would make a noticible
impact on the Georgia program.
Does anyone know why Frank Polito left? Frank is one of the best recruiters around. He and Jeff Wallace had worked together for a long time. His contributions will be very hard to replace.
Tenniswish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:11 PM   #179
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenniswish View Post
Does anyone know why Frank Polito left? Frank is one of the best recruiters around. He and Jeff Wallace had worked together for a long time. His contributions will be very hard to replace.
He was let go. You might think he was a great recruiter because of the players that came to UGA but the talent level there top to bottom has declined in his time there. Gullickson aside, the current team is not classic Georgia level talent.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM   #180
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Drake

Rodney Harmon named head coach at Georgia Tech.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote