Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 190 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM   #2836
country flag Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute Fantasy Hero has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

so here the highlights from her unfortunate match with Tamira...since i wasn't able to watch much of it i didn't really comment on her performance, but watching this and knowing how far Tamira went again (and her title from two weeks ago), this wasn't a bad performance at all!
i haven't seen her hitting such a clean CC FH in more than a year or so and the BH seemed to be back! let us not forget that this was grass and i think that even the best Caro would have suffered with that Tamira...ok world n°1-Caro may have edged out mentally maybe, but i'm sure her mental strenght will be back the same moment she starts winning matches again and my first thought after those highlights was: on hardcourt playing like that she would kick asses.
let's see

http://ski-and-tennis.blogspot.it
my own blog with reviews and articles, have a look if you're intrested
Fantasy Hero is online now View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2837
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy Hero View Post

so here the highlights from her unfortunate match with Tamira...since i wasn't able to watch much of it i didn't really comment on her performance, but watching this and knowing how far Tamira went again (and her title from two weeks ago), this wasn't a bad performance at all!
i haven't seen her hitting such a clean CC FH in more than a year or so and the BH seemed to be back! let us not forget that this was grass and i think that even the best Caro would have suffered with that Tamira...ok world n°1-Caro may have edged out mentally maybe, but i'm sure her mental strenght will be back the same moment she starts winning matches again and my first thought after those highlights was: on hardcourt playing like that she would kick asses.
let's see
Yes, there was a great deal of promise in the match. And if Caro had had just a little more luck (or dared go BHDTL on her last shot on the first MP) it would have been a really good win. But her weaknesses are clear, too.
Her FH is weak. Especially when Caro goes CC you can see how little power there is on her FH shot. And when the opponent is under pressure, she usually just needs to block the ball back with decent depth (like halfway between service line and baseline) to Caro's FH in order to neutralize the point.
She rarely gets the upper hand straight from her serve. The power is acceptable but she doesn't mix it up enough and she's too easy to read.
She rarely dares to go for a winner on ROS, even when the serve is weak. 90% of the time she hits CC or down the middle instead of chancing a DTL shot.
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:47 PM   #2838
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Yes, there was a great deal of promise in the match. And if Caro had had just a little more luck (or dared go BHDTL on her last shot on the first MP) it would have been a really good win. But her weaknesses are clear, too.
Her FH is weak. Especially when Caro goes CC you can see how little power there is on her FH shot. And when the opponent is under pressure, she usually just needs to block the ball back with decent depth (like halfway between service line and baseline) to Caro's FH in order to neutralize the point.
She rarely gets the upper hand straight from her serve. The power is acceptable but she doesn't mix it up enough and she's too easy to read.
She rarely dares to go for a winner on ROS, even when the serve is weak. 90% of the time she hits CC or down the middle instead of chancing a DTL shot.
There's plenty of problems including that was the norm, she plays some good tennis this whole slump.
There was nothing unusual about this loss. She played well in spurts, had chances to win. She was also broken 7 times. Way too much. Against good players, you have no chance when you cant hold serve
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM   #2839
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

So when does Caro get back to training after her "early vacation"?
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:33 PM   #2840
country flag Trey

Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute Trey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Welcome.
Thanks for the Welcome Chrissie-fan
Trey is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2841
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
Shouldn't the much lower string tension have put more oomph on the forehand?

Johansson seems focused on getting more pace on her serve and not placement or disguise.

I think that her returning is a sign that her mindset hasn't changed all the way over to more aggressive play.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2842
country flag Protoss

I think Caro plays too many players these days who play at a fairly good level for a steady (low winner, low unforced error count) approach to be that successful.

It's also an approach that's somewhat limited success-wise on grass and clay.

I think Caro's had her most success against top 20 or better level when she's tried to be more proactive. For example, Caro came the lowest to beating Kim when she nearly matched her in winners for the match.
Old Jul 3rd, 2012, 11:10 PM   #2843
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protoss View Post
I think Caro plays too many players these days who play at a fairly good level for a steady (low winner, low unforced error count) approach to be that successful.

It's also an approach that's somewhat limited success-wise on grass and clay.

I think Caro's had her most success against top 20 or better level when she's tried to be more proactive. For example, Caro came the lowest to beating Kim when she nearly matched her in winners for the match.
If you go back a full year to her loss to Cibulkova, it seems as soon as she plays a top 30 level player in early rounds, she's in trouble.
These plays beat Caro since Cibulkova: Vinci, Mchale, Kanepi, Pennetta, Zvonareva, Safarova, Georges, Kerber, Ivanovic. Thats besides losses to Serena, Maria, Kim, Kvitova, Radwanska.
Thats a long list of different players, and its usually early round losses.
Kanepi, Mchale & Kerber have 2 wins against her in the past year

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 08:02 AM   #2844
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Shouldn't the much lower string tension have put more oomph on the forehand?

Johansson seems focused on getting more pace on her serve and not placement or disguise.

I think that her returning is a sign that her mindset hasn't changed all the way over to more aggressive play.
Changes don't happen overnight and it should also take some time to get completely used to a markedly different string tension. By the time US Open comes around, hopefully the changes are starting to kick in and combined with her best surface we might see some good things happening.
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2845
country flag goldenlox

Yeah, this whole process is long term now. The important thing is she has to learn how to close, how to win.
She knew how to do that with her old style.
Now she's very fragile in crucial moments and has a lot of trouble going deep into tournaments
Only won 5 matches in her last 6 tournaments. 5 losses in her last 7 matches.
The mental part is whats fallen off. She still plays around the same level of tennis, until she's close to winning, or 1 set-all, then the unforced errors kill her

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #2846
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
Yeah, this whole process is long term now. The important thing is she has to learn how to close, how to win.
She knew how to do that with her old style.
Now she's very fragile in crucial moments and has a lot of trouble going deep into tournaments
Only won 5 matches in her last 6 tournaments. 5 losses in her last 7 matches.
The mental part is whats fallen off. She still plays around the same level of tennis, until she's close to winning, or 1 set-all, then the unforced errors kill her
Totally agree. The main thing right now that I do like is her coach Thomas Johannson. I really hope this lasts. He really seems to understand Caro. One thing I liked is when he reduced the tension in her racket was the way he got Caro to say which she thought was best. So he wasn't saying do this or that - he was getting input from her what she liked best.

But yeah - the mental part when she's close to winning. She said she was unlucky on those MPs with her opponent painting the lines. But it's not all about just choking. That's what players do when they are MPs down. They've nothing to lose. You have top expect it. You lose a MP like that with the player going for broke and the Caro late 2010 - early 2011 would usually just plug away and keep getting another MP and manage the storm and eventually win. And she certainly did not help her opponent and give away UEs. It's hard to close out - but if you keep failing to convert match after match - it can't be put down to bad luck any more than the way she used to close out can be put down to luck and her opponent's play.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #2847
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Totally agree. The main thing right now that I do like is her coach Thomas Johannson. I really hope this lasts. He really seems to understand Caro. One thing I liked is when he reduced the tension in her racket was the way he got Caro to say which she thought was best. So he wasn't saying do this or that - he was getting input from her what she liked best.

But yeah - the mental part when she's close to winning. She said she was unlucky on those MPs with her opponent painting the lines. But it's not all about just choking. That's what players do when they are MPs down. They've nothing to lose. You have top expect it. You lose a MP like that with the player going for broke and the Caro late 2010 - early 2011 would usually just plug away and keep getting another MP and manage the storm and eventually win. And she certainly did not help her opponent and give away UEs. It's hard to close out - but if you keep failing to convert match after match - it can't be put down to bad luck any more than the way she used to close out can be put down to luck and her opponent's play.
I agree 100%. Vika served for the match twice against Paszek, didnt play well those games. Still hung in there & closed. Caro has to regain that ability to keep fighting until she wins. But now she's not steady, and the unforced errors are too much, because she doesnt have the weapons to make up for giving so many points away.
So we see the same thing over & over, but against a wide variety of players. She plays well but loses. Tennis is mostly mental, so she's dug a hole this past year and has to find a way to climb out(mentally)

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #2848
country flag goldenlox

Quote:
So when does Caro get back to training after her "early vacation"?
Coach is still on vacation. He's not used to the everyday grind of a coach.

Thomas Johansson@TompaSthlmOpen
Really excited to go to Stockholm and sit in the Wimbledon studio together with one of the best coaches in Sweden, Fredrik Rosengren.

Old Jul 4th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2849
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

A bit sad to see that Caro has completely disappeared since the Wimbledon match, would be nice to get a little update on what she's up to.

I hope she doesn't turn into Sabine who sometimes vanishes from Twitter for weeks after a bitter defeat.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jul 5th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #2850
country flag Protoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
A bit sad to see that Caro has completely disappeared since the Wimbledon match, would be nice to get a little update on what she's up to.

I hope she doesn't turn into Sabine who sometimes vanishes from Twitter for weeks after a bitter defeat.
Heh. Caro finally tweeted again yesterday with a celebrity sighting in Monaco.
Closed Thread