Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 188 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #2806
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Consider this.
I don't think this discussion belongs in here and suggest it be taken elsewhere. You don't have to apologise to me for tag lines, I'm far more bothered by intent. In pure tennis discussion terms I called your post out as hysterical. I'll stand by that because it meats the definition and lacks balance or accuracy to the situation. I'm not interested in a discussion about non Caroline tennis related issues in here. We have plenty of threads for that purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #2807
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
I dont know. I think most of us expected Caroline to keep it close. If she loses 26 26 in round 1, thats pretty bad for a player who was YE #1 for 2010, 2011. She was #1 earlier this year

She did play well, in spots, but she almost always plays well.
This means she played Eastbourne & Wimbledon & didnt win a match.
Thats after a clay season where she played Stuttgart, Madrid, Rome, Paris and only won 5 matches.

5 match wins used to be a good week, not a full clay/grass season combined.
Every player is tinkering with equipment & having best technique possible. Its not a reason to go from #1 to losing 5 of her last 7 matches in the heart of the slam season. Remember, when she was losing to Safarova & Goerges & Ivanovic people said she was tweaking her game for this part of the year.

So I think there is plenty to be concerned about.
I see your points and I don't think anyone is jumping for joy about the last year, however, I don't see the rank as relevant to form or circumstance, nor can I agree with the time period of decline in that form.

To borrow an overly dramatic style so popular here of late to make my point, if the worlds fastest sprinter in January looses both legs in February, it isn't worse because they are the slowest in the field in March? The reason is what counts not the express nature of it however tragic or rapid?

As for her chances of bouncing back, I think you're perhaps not giving due credit for the rapidity of improvement in display that she demonstrated having finally addressed her glaring equipment issues. I think there are still more to be addressed including a possible switch.

If we factor in the decline of stroke effectiveness, then we are left with the service game (as you have rightly focused on in the past) and the AO MP factor which was there before she lost and then won IW and at many crunch points in her carrier before that. In short for much longer than this slump?

By admission and statement it's clear to me that TJ has identified the crunch point failings as an area he can and will address. He was in part sort out for his very own experience of dealing with those points?

The serve and ground strokes are also clearly being addressed with both technical changes and major equipment tweaks?

If we look at all the above, and going by the virtually unanimous applauds for her performance yesterday, I think its at least fair to ride out the honeymoon period with the new coach having an open mind and the patience that they as a new team deserve toward them?

I'm far from saying everything is bright and shinny happy, but I am suggesting that most of the issues are not new, have to be dealt with, clearly have been amplified by the stick and other factors, but that from the few signs we have seen, they as a team at least deserve the respect of a chance to correct the direction before they are written off here in the player section?

I see great signs for the future, and am extremely happy to see the stick being addressed and the BH making a fleeting return.

I trust that Caroline will deal with the crunch issue as she grows in experience, mostly because she has risen to it before. It is an issue that needs addressing, and she has shown she has the tools, now we need the intent and confidence to do it.
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2808
marineblue

marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute marineblue has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A lot of us were in GM arguments when Caroline was #1, so I'm not surprised the arguments shifted to here as Caro's ranking fell.

It comes to expectations. If you're satisfied with staying in the top 20 and no titles. Then Caro is having a good year.

If you thought she was on her way to a Hall of Fame career and wanted her to build on where she was 18 months ago, instead of tearing it down & trying to rebuild, then this is a frustrating situation.

Its very hard to be #1, to win majors. What Caro did was very difficult, and she cant do it now, maybe not anymore.

Thats life. Now we'll see what happens after this spring and early summer
I am not too happy about this year's neither but I was not expecting too much from this year. To have a season like 2010 and 2011 is extraordinary and it must be extremely demanding to handle.
Haters may say what they want but Caroline did dominate on the tour for a long time and was a great representative of tennis. But she is not a machine and, to be honest, I always had a feeling that there will come time of a burnout. I think that Caroline is enjoying flying under the radar now although I doubt that she plans to spend the rest of her career with only memories on titles she once won and stuck in top 20 till her career is over.
And, that is not certainly what I'd enjoy seeing neither.
marineblue is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:06 PM   #2809
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
TF66 was already in full flow of pissing others off with predictions of loss after only few points were played,
If you look back in the results thread, what I said was, she wasn't up for it. Caroline's body language has - imho - become quite easy to read.

The sulking and the looking like a spoilt child = not good. She was visible like this, for some reason, when the match started and was epitomized by her challenge on the 2nd ball played. A serve which was a good foot away from the line.

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #2810
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
If you look back in the results thread, what I said was, she wasn't up for it. Caroline's body language has - imho - become quite easy to read.

The sulking and the looking like a spoilt child = not good. She was visible like this, for some reason, when the match started and was epitomized by her challenge on the 2nd ball played. A serve which was a good foot away from the line.
For what it is worth you weren't pissing me off.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #2811
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither. I really think that postings in the score topic are fair game because it happens in the heat of the moment.

My Tennis Photo Website

Twitter
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #2812
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Me neither. I really think that postings in the score topic are fair game because it happens in the heat of the moment.
Which is weird because that is where I am typically the calmest and most levelheaded. It's usually after the match that I start raving like a lunatic.

Old Jun 28th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #2813
country flag tbx59

tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice tbx59 is just really nice

Quote:
I dont blame Rory. He fits the timeline of when Caroline stopped winning, but she has to handle a relationship and still win a match here & there.
A lot of players are in relationships.
Players go thru slumps too. Although this is a year now, and if she's still losing early most tournaments on hardcourt, it cant be called a slump, its her form.
She doesnt win matches anymore
I'm not blaming him, I don't think his game is where it needs to be either - they seem to spend more time around each other than actually working on their game, and when one of them is working on their game the other is there. Go through the motion hitting some balls on the court or the range with the other one there and then go out and get down. You look at Sharapova, I never see the Sasha the Machine or the Ice Queen hanging all over each other when he's shooting jump shots or she's talking to herself and screeching. They seem to just want to be rich and have fun not be number 1 and run through the slams in their prime. I mean a year ago Rory was storming through the US open after collapsing in the majors, seemed he had finally gotten it together, then he plays pathetically and misses the cut easily, she flames out of clay and grass and then just bounces out of wimbey - likely not to go work on her game. She won't be the first women's tennis player with all the tools that didn't get it done, hell, Kimmie was like that her first go around
tbx59 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 11:12 PM   #2814
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

The Day Three Highlights video on the Wimbledon site says that Caro's loss was a "shock exit" and she was "expected to cruise". The commentator must be an idiot who knows nothing about tennis. Anyone with a fair knowledge of tennis expected it to be a close and hard to predict match, just as it turned out to be.

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Jun 28th, 2012 at 11:32 PM.
C. W. Fields is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 28th, 2012, 11:30 PM   #2815
country flag Burisleif

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
The Day Three Highlights video on the Wimbledon site says that Caro's loss was a "shock defeat" and she was "expected to cruise". The commentator must be an idiot who knows nothing about tennis. Anyone with a fair knowledge of tennis expected it to be a close and hard to predict match, just as it turned out to be.
You forgot the word 'blithering'...
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #2816
country flag jasminefu623

jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of jasminefu623 has much to be proud of

just read somewhere, caro won't be denmark's flag bearer, am i right?
jasminefu623 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #2817
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yet she loses early almost every tournament. She still has her game, but she doesnt win matches anymore
It seems like the whole adidas team, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Pavlyuchenkova.. they all seem mentally fragile
Don't know enough about Pavly as a person to evaluate her mental state,but you'll agree,of course,that Caroline's accomplishments dwarf the Russian's for now.The comparison to the Serb only offers superficial similarities.Caroline never said that she thought she'd have some magic carpet ride as the Queen of Tennis when she reached #1...and she didn't check out on her career once she discovered that it was a job--hard work--and not merely a game(can provide quote,if needed).Caroline also hasn't slutted her way around the celebrity male circuit,even firing faithful assistants on multiple occasions when a lowlife scum bf didn't like them.As for the weaknesses themselves,the Serb is feeble to the core b/c she utterly lacks any character or integrity...plus,as with other spoiled,pampered children,she's unable to face serious adversity on the court where her enablers can't make excuses for her during matches.On the other hand,Caroline--as you and others have pointed out--has valid reasons for struggling with her confidence at the moment.She can't cling too tightly to the style of play that first brought her success,but she hasn't quite found her footing with a newer style,either.Still,there's not much evidence of a strong person fundamentally "becoming" weak,barring a huge personal catastrophe(e.g.,Seles' stabbing),so we have at least some justification for hoping for something better,especially with a new coaching situation

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Our Slam: Islas Marias Prison Island Open--Benito Juarez Open(red clay)--Mazatlan Open(LOTS of Mexican 'grass' AND 'sugar')--the Mexico City Open(VERY poorly attended b/c almost NO ONE can get thru the traffic)
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #2818
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
The Day Three Highlights video on the Wimbledon site says that Caro's loss was a "shock exit" and she was "expected to cruise". The commentator must be an idiot who knows nothing about tennis. Anyone with a fair knowledge of tennis expected it to be a close and hard to predict match, just as it turned out to be.
In general I find that tennis commentators/reporters are among the least educated about the sport they are covering. Of course there are exceptions but I can't think of another major sport where the people that cover it know so little.

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #2819
country flag angliru

angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute angliru has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminefu623 View Post
just read somewhere, caro won't be denmark's flag bearer, am i right?
They probably prefer someone with a bit more upper body strength and a stronger forehand to hold the flag

Kim Wraae, a silver medalist in Beijing (kayak), will be Denmark's flag bearer.
angliru is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 08:38 AM   #2820
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
In general I find that tennis commentators/reporters are among the least educated about the sport they are covering. Of course there are exceptions but I can't think of another major sport where the people that cover it know so little.
+ a thousand ..... I mainly watch(ed) with British commentators and it has now come to a point, where I either mute them or desperately search the net for a non-English stream. Russian, Polish, Romanian, Spanish .. It all works, as I don't understand the commentators (heavenly break from the standard, fact sheet commentating), but I can still hear the court ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread