Maria's best match on grass - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future
Maria's best match on grass

During the clay season, I saw a thread about Maria's best matches on clay. So now, since Wimbledon 2012 has started, I though it would be fitting to have a thread discussing Maria's best matches on grass! What do you think is her finest performance on grass? I'm not adding a poll, so that maybe in the future more matches will be added!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maria's best match on grass

Tbh, there've been surprisingly few great grass matches from her ever since she won in 2004 The only match I can think of apart from her matches in '04 is her win over Dementieva in the Wimby QFs in '06, her level of domination in that match was scary - even the streaker that ran across the court in the middle of the match had more of an impact on the match than Dementieva.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

1. SF against Davenport and F against Serena in 2004 obviously
2. QF against Petrova in 05
3. 4R against Serena in 10 (although she lost it, best she served since the comeback)
4. 4R against Pennetta in 06 (despite her lengthy height and developed limbs, she played solid in that match and flavia ain't no slouch back then)
But yeah, since then, there aren't many great quality tennis she produced on grass lately
Still I'd say
5. 4R against Peng 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
Can't grab a Slam, grab cash then
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #4
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanders06 View Post
even the streaker that ran across the court in the middle of the match had more of an impact on the match than Dementieva.

I agree that her best matches on grass are probably in her 2004 run to the title! Grass rewards instinct and fearlessness and Maria has never embodied these characteristics at Wimbledon better than in 2004!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #5
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickfalsetto View Post
1. SF against Davenport and F against Serena in 2004 obviously
2. QF against Petrova in 05
3. 4R against Serena in 10 (although she lost it, best she served since the comeback)
4. 4R against Pennetta in 06 (despite her lengthy height and developed limbs, she played solid in that match and flavia ain't no slouch back then)
But yeah, since then, there aren't many great quality tennis she produced on grass lately
Still I'd say
5. 4R against Peng 2011
I actually think her best match in terms of her play off the ground at last year's tournament was the semifinal against Lisicki - her diabolical serving in that match overshadowed everything else, but she was returning, striking the ball and moving in rallies about as well as at any time last year - I remember she barely made any groundstroke errors in that match after the first few games, she was getting some of Lisicki's biggest rocket-serves back into play, she hit atleast 3 GOATly forehands on the run. In fact, it's a testament to how well she did most things in that match that she managed to win so comfortably in spite of giving away an average of 2 free points every service game.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #6
country flag JoPova

Quote:
I actually think her best match in terms of her play off the ground at last year's tournament was the semifinal against Lisicki - her diabolical serving in that match overshadowed everything else, but she was returning, striking the ball and moving in rallies about as well as at any time last year - I remember she barely made any groundstroke errors in that match after the first few games, she was getting some of Lisicki's biggest rocket-serves back into play, she hit atleast 3 GOATly forehands on the run. In fact, it's a testament to how well she did most things in that match that she managed to win so comfortably in spite of giving away an average of 2 free points every service game.
I totally erased that match from my memory because of her awful serving performance! I think that she displayed solid tennis in her match against Cibulkova too, but the match with Peng was probably her best!

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #7
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
nice points...so what do you think about her overall level of play in the final last year?

i was rewatching her final against kvitova two days ago...she didn't play as bad as people made it out to be, bar the serving and ugly double faults, of course...kvitova was in the zone that day and her classic lefty serve out wide and the inside out forehands saved her ass...i was just thinking she could have even won the 2nd set if not for some of the bold winners from kvitova at bps and gps (you know those winners that touched the line and could have easily gone out if kvitova wasn't at the absolute peak like she is now)

anyway, all of these things in retrospect is raising my expectations from her this year too i never learn
Quote:
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8
country flag JoPova

Quote:
nice points...so what do you think about her overall level of play in the final last year?

i was rewatching her final against kvitova two days ago...she didn't play as bad as people made it out to be, bar the serving and ugly double faults, of course...kvitova was in the zone that day and her classic lefty serve out wide and the inside out forehands saved her ass...i was just thinking she could have even won the 2nd set if not for some of the bold winners from kvitova at bps and gps (you know those winners that touched the line and could have easily gone out if kvitova wasn't at the absolute peak like she is now)

anyway, all of these things in retrospect is raising my expectations for her this year too i never learn
I've watched it again rather recently too! Her serving was horrible! She was having one of those days where she has serious issues in finding the court with her serve. That's why she decided to kick her first serve in so much. As a result, Kvitova most of the time was smacking ROS winners! Her ground game wasn't exceptional, but not bad. If she could serve, the match would've been a lot tougher. It has to be said though that Kvitova's serve was monstrous! Maria was having a hard time returning her slice, which stayed extremely low and opened the court for Petra so well.

Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #9
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jechijo View Post
I've watched it again rather recently too! Her serving was horrible! She was having one of those days where she has serious issues in finding the court with her serve. That's why she decided to kick her first serve in so much. As a result, Kvitova most of the time was smacking ROS winners! Her ground game wasn't exceptional, but not bad. If she could serve, the match would've been a lot tougher. It has to be said though that Kvitova's serve was monstrous! Maria was having a hard time returning her slice, which stayed extremely low and opened the court for Petra so well.
Agree! But I believe she will read kvitova's serves better if they are to meet on grass again

Even if she was struggling returning those lefty slice serves that day, she returned some of the balls with great depth and angle
Quote:
Old Jun 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #10
country flag JoPova

Quote:
Agree! But I believe she will read kvitova's serves better if they are to meet on grass again

Even if she was struggling returning those lefty slice serves that day, she returned some of the balls with great depth and angle
The fact that Maria's BH CC is her best asset helps a lot, but on that day Petra was just incredible and was able to hit a few winners with her FH DTL painting the lines! Hoepfully they'll get to meet again this year and Maria will be able to turn the result arounf this time!

Old Jun 26th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #11
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

The 04 semi. She was scary good the second half of the match. The 04 QF against Sugiyama also deserves a mention.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #12
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

after 04 none its like after that Wimbly she has not been a good grass player
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #13
country flag Andy.
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute Andy. has a reputation beyond repute

Her 2004 match v Hantuchova
Andy. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 01:06 PM   #14
country flag Cosmic Voices
Forever Sharapova.

Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute Cosmic Voices has a reputation beyond repute

Im surprised noone said her match with Venus, the bitchfest that was
Cosmic Voices is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #15
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by serbian_siren View Post
Im surprised noone said her match with Venus, the bitchfest that was
Was literally just about to mention. Also her 03 victory over Dokic was hella impressive too.

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote