Wimbledon Qualies - report from the best free day in tennis - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future
Wimbledon Qualies - report from the best free day in tennis

The Wimbledon qualies have to be the best value event for tennis fans. Absolutely free, and you get up close to the players and the matches. The players are wandering around the grounds among the spectators while waiting for their matches, or just sitting around at the outside tables having some food and chatting with coaches. Go along if you’re in the vicinity and have the time.

A quick report of the matches I saw today, and my quest to see some real grass court tennis.

Muguruza Blanco vs. Svitolina 6-3, 6-0
I had to take a look at this because of the discussion about Blanco here on TF. I was quite impressed – she hits some lovely deep balls to the corners. Poor Svitolina folded like a cheap tent after being broken in the second. Her coach (sitting next to me) was trying to keep her going while dictating notes into his iPhone. Her head hung lower and lower as the match progessed, with balls frequently going into the bottom of the net. She needs to focus her fight on the opponent rather than on throwing her raquet. (Oh, and at no point was any traditional grass court tennis played…)

Lefty Koehler vs. Ivanova (makes me think of Babylon 5…) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
Koehler is a big girl who tries to hit big – sometimes it works, and sometimes it just doesn’t . As so frequently happens, the wheels came off a bit after she lost a long deuce game. Still, she pulled it back with a great deal of loud muttering to herself. (Still no sign of any real grass court tennis).

Lefty Pliskova sister (Kristyna) vs. Puchkova 6-3, 6-4
A tale of serving really – Puchkova could do nothing much to counter Pliskova’s serve. Righty sister provided support from the sidelines (some major tattooage going on with those two…). She served well (again) to close out the match. (Meanwhile I was still waiting for a glimpse of some real grass court tennis.)

Karatantcheva vs. Brengle 6-3, 6-4
Sesil. Hmmmm. Another player I wanted to see because of the discussion about her in TF. Not very hard hitting or serving, to say the very least. Not my kind of tennis, but hey, an entertainment for some. Brengle has a rinky dink serve, particularly on the second, and she loves to retreat to the baseline just when you think a net rush might be looming. She had to contend with some spectcularly shitty line calls – I was right on the baseline and a few were laughable. Brengle got in some great commentary on her own game though. “Oh my god find a new job!” and, “Oh my god somebody please kill me now!” after a particularly poor forehand.

Needless to say I was still waiting to see a volley that was struck voluntarily, rather than forced by the opponent.

Saisai Zheng vs. Santos Pereira 6-2, 7-6, 6-4
Hallelujah! At 13:44 in the afternoon I finally witnessed the first voluntary net rush of the day! Golden Flower Saisai! And on the first point of the match. OK she lost the point, but got the next two and broke to open. Now this is my kind of game. Big serving from both, big hitting, but also some nice slicing and volleying. And some interesting variety on the serve from Zheng. Really she should have closed out in two. (I might add that 3 GAMES were played in this match in the space of time it took to play 3 POINTS in Sesil’s war of attrition on the adjacent court.) This was the best match IMHO, but the biggest cheering sections were in attendance for Sesil and the tattooed sisters.

The Larcher de Brito experience (won by retirement)
She started off quietly – I was two courts away. I could see her, but didn’t hear her at first. Actually I was a bit disappointed. Has she toned down the screaming? Admittedly I did hear her at one point when there was a helicopter AND a BA 747 overhead, but really I’ve heard worse from Masha and Vika.

All in all a great day. Highly recommended.

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #2
country flag frenchie

frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute frenchie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wimbledon Qualies - report from the best free day in tennis

anything on Lucic?

Radwanska - S. Williams - V. Williams - Kerber
frenchie is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #3
country flag Kon.

Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute

Nice report.
Kon. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

How did Katya Ivanova play?
What do you mean by waiting for "real grasscourt tennis" with regards to Kris Plis?

Re: MLDB--she no longer screams. Maybe the change affected her game negatively, and she's just back to finding her groove.
Putintseva #1 player

MakarovaLisickiBarthelBeckTwinPliskovasSmitkovaPervakGavrilovaTownsendAllertovaAbandaPuchkova
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie View Post
anything on Lucic?
I know she won easily (6-1, 6-1), but I didn't see that match.

However, there are constant announcements being made over the PA system at Roehampton and in the afternoon she was being summoned to "see the referee as soon as possible". Don't know what that was about though...

Old Jun 19th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #6
country flag Siderophyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis Fool View Post
Thanks.

How did Katya Ivanova play?
What do you mean by waiting for "real grasscourt tennis" with regards to Kris Plis?

Re: MLDB--she no longer screams. Maybe the change affected her game negatively, and she's just back to finding her groove.
Ivanova played pretty well - I think it was just difficult to get a groove against a lefty and one who was hot and cold throughout the match. Koehler sometimes nailed it, then would hit one well over the baseline. Pretty frustrating for Ivanova I think. After Ivanova won that second set Koehler just upped her game a bit. Katya did fight hard in the third but Koehler's big shots started working a bit better.

I mean serve and volley, chip and charge etc. To be fair "Kris Plis" had a nice big serve for a grass court - but her opponent really couldn't handle it most of the time. As I recall there were a lot of love games on her serve. I did not focus much on that match because it seemed like a foregone conclusion. I also saw her sister play - luckily on the adjacent court shortly after. Although she also won, I think had a slightly tougher time of it from Chan (despite a similar score).

Old Jun 19th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #7
country flag Drake1980

Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute Drake1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Wimbledon Qualies are very awesome indeed! Wish I could be there again this year.
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #8
country flag SAISAI-GOAT

SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute SAISAI-GOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Saisai Zheng vs. Santos Pereira 6-2, 7-6, 6-4
Hallelujah! At 13:44 in the afternoon I finally witnessed the first voluntary net rush of the day! Golden Flower Saisai! And on the first point of the match. OK she lost the point, but got the next two and broke to open. Now this is my kind of game. Big serving from both, big hitting, but also some nice slicing and volleying. And some interesting variety on the serve from Zheng. Really she should have closed out in two. (I might add that 3 GAMES were played in this match in the space of time it took to play 3 POINTS in Sesil’s war of attrition on the adjacent court.) This was the best match IMHO, but the biggest cheering sections were in attendance for Sesil and the tattooed sisters.
I told everybody on this board Sai Sai has the all-court game
Tennis Tipping GOATS - HAOCHEN-GOAT NA-GOAT, Doubles Champion of XWTA Wuhan P5 900
Tennis Tipping Golden Flower GOATS - M.P silverwhite
Tennis Tipping Non-Chinese Faves - Adrian. Frederik Igorche Inger67 joe87 Kəv kfh_9118 Michael! MikBs New_balls_please Sabinator valac222
SAISAI-GOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 08:49 PM   #9
country flag GoofyDuck

GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute GoofyDuck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by NA-MUG View Post
I told everybody on this board Sai Sai has the all-court game
Stop saying she plays like Aga and Sam then

Jelena Jankovic - Vera Zvonareva - Zhang Shuai - Duan Ying-Ying - Venus Williams - Petra Kvitova - Zheng Jie - Li Na - Serena Williams - Peng Shuai - Hsieh Su-Wei
GoofyDuck is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 09:33 PM   #10
country flag Siderophyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyDuck View Post
Stop saying she plays like Aga and Sam then
She's not really like either, but I know what he means when he says that. Her game is reminiscent of Sam with the big shots, and she can hit a bit of a kicker too. Less like Aga, but with some of that feel at the net.

Old Jun 19th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #11
country flag smmash100

smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all smmash100 is a name known to all

I went today too. Funnily enough I found Karatancheva v Brengle to be the most entertaining tennis of the day. I didn't see Zheng v Perreira. Spent most of the day watching Brits lose (I will do a seperate report). The nearest thing I saw to traditional grass court tennis was Barrois v Woerle. Lots of slicing and volleying in that one... Also saw a bit of Lucic for the poster that was enquiring about her. She basically just blasted her opponent off court. Far too much power and didn't miss much from what I saw. Think she will def beat Dulko tomorrow...

I agree it is a great day of tennis and all for free.. Better than Eastbourne quailes, who this year charged £27 on Sunday for a far less entertaining day!
smmash100 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #12
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

You have to be shitting me.

She's quiet as a mouse when she's ahead, but the second she loses a set or is dead even in a match the decibels go up to supersonic jet levels. The poor girls on the adjacent courts at IHB in May were barely able to hear the umpire call out the score, and the crowd was absolutely embarassed at how obnoxious it was to hear that orgasmic yelping every shot once she lost the second set. Those Bolletieri dingalings learn that garbage as a tactic, and they always resort to it when they are helpless to do anything else.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
'
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #13
country flag Sombrerero loco

Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute Sombrerero loco has a reputation beyond repute

true, wimbledon qualies are the best for tennis fans truly recommend it to everyone

Slava Shvedova- Bel Bencic- Alize Lim
Sombrerero loco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #14
country flag wally1

wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future wally1 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmash100 View Post
I agree it is a great day of tennis and all for free.. Better than Eastbourne quailes, who this year charged £27 on Sunday for a far less entertaining day!
In fairness to Eastbourne, Saturday qualies are free (unlike some other WTA tournaments).
wally1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #15
country flag TigerTim

TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold TigerTim is a splendid one to behold

was the surface fast/slow??
TigerTim is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote