Any thoughts on why Sharapova isn't playing any Wimbledon tuneups? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Any thoughts on why Sharapova isn't playing any Wimbledon tuneups?

Most years before 2011 she played Birmingham. Why the change in approach?
Advertisement

Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
country flag GrandMartha

GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute GrandMartha has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Any thoughts on why Sharapova isn't playing any Wimbledon tuneups?

- She just had two weeks full of tennis, so some rest would help.
- She (almost) never played in the week before a slam.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

because
-there's no point wasting energy to beat up on some scrubs
-practicing with male hitting partner is probably much more benefitting in a long run anyway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #4
country flag canadia

canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light

She's probably "dog tired" and could use the break. She made it to the end of the 3 previous tournaments. What other player could boast that?
canadia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #5
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadia View Post
She's probably "dog tired" and could use the break. She made it to the end of the 3 previous tournaments. What other player could boast that?
Technically, Maria didn't make it to the end of Madrid.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #6
country flag canadia

canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light canadia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18majors View Post
Technically, Maria didn't make it to the end of Madrid.
okay 3 of the last 4!
canadia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #7
country flag Kon.

Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute Kon. has a reputation beyond repute

It would have been too much tennis for her if she played a tournament before Wimbledon this year. And she wouldn't really gain anything much.
Kon. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #8
country flag stegall

stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all stegall is a name known to all

She's played the Birmingham one some in years past..It's good she didn't this year..was a mess with all the rain delays etc..
stegall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #9
country flag ziros

ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold

She never played so many matches on clay before ahead of the grass season
ziros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 10:35 PM   #10
country flag dsanders06
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute dsanders06 has a reputation beyond repute

She doesn't need one. She did very well at last year's Wimbledon and this year's Australian without playing any warm-ups, so she's obviously found an effective pre-Slam routine. And even if she doesn't go in with any grasscourt matches under her belt, she's had PLENTY of matchplay this year (I think her matches so far this year is a personal record for this early in the year), so she certainly isn't going to be rusty from a mental standpoint.

Much as it pains me to say it, I think we'll only see her play Birmingham again if she loses early at RG one year (and let's be honest, Claypova won't be losing early ).

Last edited by dsanders06 : Jun 18th, 2012 at 10:43 PM.
dsanders06 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #11
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

She didn't play any last year and reached the finals - So maybe she (or her coach) thinks that it is a good approach for her?
MashaFan01 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM   #12
country flag Stonerpova
`

Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute Stonerpova has a reputation beyond repute

Because she needs a break to come down from Paris. It's probably got more to do with emotional exhausiton than anything else

http://imageshack.us/a/img534/5492/maria1y.pnghttp://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4647/xk7s.png
Sharapova Ivanovic Jankovic Pavs Wozniacki Wickmayer Goerges Cetkovska Vaidisova
Tweet. Tumble. Blog.

Stonerpova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #13
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Because she won Rome in 2011 and 2012 and then went far in RG. She'd probably love to play Birmingham, we all know she loves it, but management of her schedule is more important than sentiment for a MM.

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #14
country flag JoPova

JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future JoPova has a brilliant future

Her clay season was extremely long and tough! So most of all she needs some rest. Moreover, last year she did fine without any warm-up tournament. The most important thing for her in Wimbledon is to serve well, as thing which wasn't working last year, so I hope she is working on that too!

Novak Djokovic Roger Federer Tomas Berdych Juan Martin Del Potro Richard Gasquet
JoPova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM   #15
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gociku View Post
- She (almost) never played in the week before a slam.
I'd checked before posting this thread and - at least with Wimbledon -she almost always played a tuneup.