French Open Ratings - Page 11 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:16 PM   #151
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French Open Ratings

I'm not surprised by the results. I don't see why there's such a debate here.

No female tennis player at the moment draws big ratings or attendance.

Maria, only draws money to/for herself. You can watch a multitude of WTA/ATP events in the early rounds across the world, and the men's matches are full, and the women's matches, including Maria's are bone empty. I point that out all the time, to many peoples chagrin here. Same for the ratings. Maria doesn't help them. That's a fact. So this NBC ratings report is really not a surprise. And it would be the same in many other countries across the world, as well; not just the US.

Just because Maria has the ability to make money for herself, it doesn't mean that she makes money for the sport. She doesn't.

She's certainly not Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Pele, Muhammad Ali, Usain Bolt, Lebron James, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird-like (the last 3 mainly in the US), etc., who helped increase ticket sales, publicity, and ratings, transcending their sport. Maria doesn't do that. And no amount of endorsement money she makes on her own is going to change that. I think people confuse those two aspects. Making money for yourself, is not the same as helping and transcending your sport. She's just not there (despite what many of her fans think). She's not close to those other players class. If she was, she would increase the attendance, ratings, and world wild fame, interest, growth and discussion of those sports. But she does not.

It's kinda like the JLo syndrome. People liked her enough to talk about her, and what clothes she wore, but weren't willing to spend the money to support her movies, records and TV shows. Cause if you look at her track record for her movies and records, most of them did not do well (you can easily search her name in Boxofficemojo.com if you don't believe it), especially when you consider their promotional and production budgets. She was a relative disaster sales wise.

Now back to these ratings. I think something else may need to be considered. There could be a large portion of the population, that is turned off by Maria's grunting, and just refuses to watch (though of course they could of turned the sound down). That shouldn't be forgotten as well. There's a large contingent of tennis fans, who absolutely hate Azarenka and Sharapova. Obviously Sharapova is not grunting on photo shoots and when she's promoting products. Think about that?

But until things change (whether it's new or renewed rivalries, a dominant new/young or consistent champion), women's tennis, allover the world, is just not that popular to begin with. And many fans, seem to hold too large of an opinion of what they feel their players worth (especially if they feel their glamorous) and value is on the tennis court.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #152
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
I'm not surprised by the results. I don't see why there's such a debate here.

No female tennis player at the moment draws big ratings or attendance.

Maria, only draws money to/for herself. You can watch a multitude of WTA/ATP events in the early rounds across the world, and the men's matches are full, and the women's matches, including Maria's are bone empty. I point that out all the time, to many peoples chagrin here. Same for the ratings. Maria doesn't help them. That's a fact. So this NBC ratings report is really not a surprise. And it would be the same in many other countries across the world, as well; not just the US.

Just because Maria has the ability to make money for herself, it doesn't mean that she makes money for the sport. She doesn't.

She's certainly not Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Lebron James, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird-like, etc., who helped increase ticket sales, publicity, and ratings, transcending their sport. Maria doesn't do that. And no amount of endorsement money she makes on her own is going to change that. I think people confuse those two aspects. Making money for yourself, is not the same as helping and transcending your sport. She's just not there (despite what many of her fans think).

It's kinda like the JLo syndrome. People liked her enough to talk about her, and what clothes she wore, but weren't willing to spend the money to support her movies, records and TV shows. Cause if you look at her track record for her movies and records, most of them did not do well (you can easily search her name in Boxofficemojo.com if you don't believe it), especially when you consider their promotional and production budgets. She was a relative disaster sales wise.

Now back to these ratings. I think something else may need to be considered. There could be a large portion of the population, that is turned off by Maria's grunting, and just refuses to watch (though of course they could of turned the sound down). That shouldn't be forgotten as well. There's a large contingent of tennis fans, who absolutely hate Azarenka and Sharapova. Obviously Sharapova is not grunting on photo shoots and when she's promoting products. Think about that?

But until things change (whether it's new or renewed rivalries, a dominant new/young or consistent champion), women's tennis, allover the world, is just not that popular to begin with. And many fans, seem to hold too large of an opinion of what they feel their players worth (especially if they feel their glamorous) and value is on the tennis court.
Didn't someone try and argue once that she was bigger than Michael Jordan becasue he asked his roomates who Michael Jordan was and they didn't know who he was?

I will never foret you SGT. TIMMYKINZ! You are one of a kind. When you come back pretend that you're a fan of "it" and the mods will look the other way.
HRHoliviasmith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #153
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see the big deal here Maria alone made this score, I mean, noone knows Errani.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #154
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
Didn't someone try and argue once that she was bigger than Michael Jordan becasue he asked his roomates who Michael Jordan was and they didn't know who he was?
Funny.

I do tend to think that some of us get carried away with the value we place on our favorite tennis players.

Women's tennis was probably most popular in the late stages of the Evert-Navritalova rivalry, coinciding with the Graf/Seles era.

Of course the Serena, Venus, Henin, Hingis, Davenport, Sharapova stretch, was a great ratings era as well for the WTA.

Many times, the women actually out drew the men, both in attendance, interest and ratings. But that was all formed by great rivalries and tennis, not glamor (no matter how hard some of us want to believe that), and of course the men having poor, random, unexciting champions and rivalries.

For example, Kournikova wasn't good for ratings or attendance at a big event, though she was good for herself (the money she could make on her own outside the sport).

Now obviously Sharapova is a bigger winner than Ana, so I'm not directly comparing the two. But it is true, that the money you make for yourself is not directly related to your popularity within and outside your own sport.

It's just that in certain individual sports, if you fit a certain personality (good looking, girl/guy next door, etc.), and/or have a certain status (#1), you're going to make lots of money, regardless of your overall popularity.

Formula one drivers make bundles of money, and most people have no idea who they are or would watch their sport. Phil Michelson, the Golfer, makes between $40-$50 million dollars a year, and no one outside of Golf has any clue or cares who the guy is, even in America where he's from. Get the point? It's their sport and how they fit into the marketing niche. Michelson makes more money than Lebron James and Kobe Bryant in endorsements, but he's certainly not more popular than either one of them in America. Not by a long shot.

Last edited by Excelscior : Jun 14th, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #155
country flag Charlatan
Diabolical

Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute Charlatan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Luv.Kvitty View Post
No answer? Oh well

Back on ignore you go
Charlatan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:42 PM   #156
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

OMG It's banned.
Happiest day of my life, FEEEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

I can't right now...
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #157
country flag NashaMasha

NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute NashaMasha has a reputation beyond repute

stupid comparison between Nadal -Djokovic and Sharapova - Errani, becuase in the first match 1) rivalry 2) both players are megapopular and attract audience

now just previous FO rating
2012 Nadal-Djokovic - 2,4
2011 Nadal-Federer - 2,6
2010 Nadal-Soderling - 1,6 (Sharapova-Errani- 1,7)
it confirms that there is no difference between Pova and Nadull, when the match is anticipated one-sided
NashaMasha is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #158
country flag Petronius

Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute Petronius has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Of course the Serena, Venus, Henin, Hingis, Davenport, Sharapova stretch, was a great ratings era as well for the WTA.
Martina was fantastic for the WTA. A true prodigy or 'wunderkind'. In 1997 she was the most televised person in the world. And she was a huge asset for the WTA until she retired.

Excerpt from a 2000 article:

"Hingis signs with Sanex, will wear WTA Tour patch"

Ending months of speculation, No. 1-ranked tennis player Martina Hingis signed an endorsement deal with the European body care company Sanex, the title sponsor of the WTA Tour.

The multiyear contract pays Hingis in the low seven figures annually, a source said.

Sanex measured the time Hingis is actually on TV globally, said Ingrid Bentzer, director of tennis sponsorships for Sanex, and found that she literally was televised more hours than anyone else in the world.

"Hingis is simply the most well-known, most-shown face in TV all over the world," Bentzer said.

I doubt Sharapova can match this. The grunting may be one of the main reasons. Martina was pure talent, elegance and no screaming/grunting at all. Add her sweet face and nice smile and you've got the most televised person on the globe.
Petronius is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 07:18 PM   #159
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Women's tennis was probably most popular in the late stages of the Evert-Navritalova rivalry, coinciding with the Graf/Seles era.
Such conclusion is not correct. Now, worldwide, women's tennis is many times more popular than Evert-Navratilova or Graf/Seles era.
The decline of USA TV ratings of tennis matches, both for men and women, is based on reasons most of which are not related to the sport tennis.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #160
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petronius View Post
I doubt Sharapova can match this.
You cannot compare Sharapova and Hingis, so much Sharapova is ahead.
I was and still am fan of Hingis, but do not compare her with Sharapova in this field. Compare her in other areas where Martina clearly has an advantage. It is clear to me that you and some other members of this forum are not aware of the popularity of Sharapova in this world. It is unprecedented in the history of any female sport.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM   #161
country flag L'Enfant Sauvage

L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute L'Enfant Sauvage has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie R U OK? View Post
Not surprising. Who was in it that anyone would want to see?

Now look at the graph and look at which year had the highest ratings for the women:

By far the highest ratings out of every final of the last ten years?

(Anyone playing Sharapova)
L'Enfant Sauvage is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #162
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
Such conclusion is not correct. Now, worldwide, women's tennis is many times more popular than Evert-Navratilova or Graf/Seles era.
The decline of USA TV ratings of tennis matches, both for men and women, is based on reasons most of which are not related to the sport tennis.
I said that relative to the fact that the women outdrew the men, and that the ratings were higher, regardless of what the existing TV market was at the time. The Women today, are not outdrawing the men. Ten years ago they did. Do you deny that?

Internet searches and stuff like that for a player (which is a result of modern times/players, and the type of fans they attract), don't directly help the sport. But TV ratings and attendance at the events does.

I'm sure Michael Jordan doesn't have 10% of the facebook followers Maria has (as an example), but he's far more famous, and certainly was in his hey day. More importantly, Jordan helped lift his sport (attendance, ratings, recognition and revenue wise), to fans and non fans, something Maria hasn't.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #163
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
You cannot compare Sharapova and Hingis, so much Sharapova is ahead.
I was and still am fan of Hingis, but do not compare her with Sharapova in this field. Compare her in other areas where Martina clearly has an advantage. It is clear to me that you and some other members of this forum are not aware of the popularity of Sharapova in this world. It is unprecedented in the history of any female sport.

It is clear that you have not understood or accepted all the logic, information, history and facts that have been presented to you.

You are in complete denial, and once again confusing Sharapova's ability as an endorser and money earner, to her fame and legacy in and out the sport.

Once again, the two are not the same. Hingis certainly was a phenomenon (SwissMiss), and took the tennis world by storm at the time. I agree wholeheartedly.

Ultimately, your tennis is what makes you famous. And neither Sharapova's legacy/championship pedigree-compared to others, her tennis playing style, and grunting/noise, were anything to be greatly admired, like Hingis, Serena & Venus (minus the grunting), Steffi Graf, Martina Navratilova, or Chris Evert for that matter.

Being a model/endorser, is something totally different and on the periphery. You're most famous, exalted and admired, for what you do on the court.

Hopefully, for Maria and others, she can improve her championship bonafides (as she's done recently) and interest in her as the years progress.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #164
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle100 View Post
I'm a Sharapova fan, but she certainly isn't a worldwide superstar that some of her fans claim her to be. Well, not in England anyway.
or in the US. Granted, it might have something to do with her not being American-born, really can't say for sure.

I will never foret you SGT. TIMMYKINZ! You are one of a kind. When you come back pretend that you're a fan of "it" and the mods will look the other way.
HRHoliviasmith is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 08:23 PM   #165
country flag denny5576

I made a study on this subject years ago. Here are two tables which show the decline in TV ratings in USA. Do not blame for that the current players, it is not their fault: