French Open Ratings - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #61
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of
Re: French Open Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
All I'm getting from those graphs is that she was very popular in 2004, and that many people became interested enough in her after she won the FO to do a web search on her. Sorry, but people searching for her after she won is no indication of her popularity prior to that match. I think you could look up any player and you would see that they get a lot of web searches after they win a major. It looks to me like her popularity went down a lot after 2004. If she was as popular as many claim she is, I would think web searches for her would not have taken such a dive.

denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:50 PM   #62
faboozadoo15

faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute faboozadoo15 has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever, I'll blame Errani and call it a day.
faboozadoo15 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #63
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NadalSharapova View Post
Problem is your statistics mean nothing for worldwide iconic status
I never said she's not extremely popular across most of the planet. Have you forgotten the multiple threads on which you and others have been proclaiming her the biggest tennis icon ever, well-known and loved in EVERY COUNTRY on earth? I don't give a flying fuck if she is well known in most countries. That doesn't make her the biggest tennis icon ever in every country on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post

Big fucking deal, web searches spiked when she made the SF and the F. What a shock! Every other month she is no more popular than Nadal or Djokovich. Spikes on a graph do not in any way indicate a global icon status. Someone who is truly popular would have a high number of searches on a constant basis, not just a couple of spikes when their name is in the news because they just won something. If you go look at the last couple of years, searches for Wozniacki were as high as they were for Maria. Does that mean that Wozniacki is worshipped and beloved across the U.S.?
Towanda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #64
country flag NadalSharapova

NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all

Football is watched less than NBA in america but without doubt is the biggest sport in the world.

Maria is watched less than williams in america but is the biggest name female athlete in the world.

Simple logic
NadalSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #65
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I never said that Stosur was popular in the U.S. What I said was,

"some of them know who Stosur is. Apparently you have to either have a baby or beat Serena to be known amongst the masses here."
you only quoted part of that statement. You said that Stosur is more popular than Maria, and Maria is popular in the U.S., so therefor you're implying that Stosur is popular in the U.S.

Quote:
How in the world is that saying she is popular? You know after she beat Serena, the media beat that to death. Most people I know who don't follow tennis told me that they were shocked that some girl that no one ever heard of beat Serena. They had no clue that she was ranked 7 or 8 or whatever she was before that match. After that match, they knew who she was, even if they only knew her as the girl that beat Serena. I know I said later in that post or another post that the people who knew who Stosur was after that match will probably forget who she is in short time, which is, once again, not implying in any way that I think she is popular here.

As far as people hiding behind bushes to see Sharapova, I guess you missed the thousand times that I said that I'm not talking about tennis fans. If you've read the threads proclaiming Sharapova the biggest tennis icon ever, you would have seen that the argument is that she is extremely popular among non-tennis fans all over the world. I am guessing that the vast majority of people who actually buy tickets to the U.S. Open are tennis fans, and not just celebrity groupies who decided to spend a thousand dollars or more to see Maria from behind a bush. Also, I think there are lots of players who fans awarm around. When I went in 2010, they were stalking Clijsters, but I would never argue that that means that she is the greatest tennis icon in the world and that even non-tennis fans all over the world know who she is.

I think you are right that we have had different experiences, because the people that I know that do not follow tennis have no clue who Sharapova is. My tennis friends of course know who she is, and a few of them are big fans of hers. This might also be affected by the areas of the country we live in, but I'm just guessing on that. I'm in Chicago. Maybe if you're somewhere that has warmer weather year round, more people might play tennis and follow tennis, but again, I'm just guessing. Seriously the only non-tennis person I know who knows who she is only knows her because of a commercial, and when he saw that commercial, he didn't even know she was a tennis player.

Can we just finally end this conversation? I am not ever going to proclaim Sharapova the biggest tennis icon ever, known the world over by non-tennis fans. And I can't help that I think the fact that the FO final ratings were low is some indication that she is not as beloved in the U.S. as many think she is. You are free to disagree with that, and I couldn't care less. But you don't have to twist everything I say - like acting like I said Stosur is so popular in the U.S. - to try to prove a point. We just need to agree to disagree on this.
I think the problem is that we're talking about two different groups of people. I'm talking about casual tennis fans, and you're talking about non-tennis fans. It doesn't matter who non-tennis fans find more popular, because well, they're not watching tennis. From what I've seen, people who watch tennis occasionally almost always know who Maria is.

and BTW, those people going crazy weren't crazy Maria fans. They were just regular tennis fans who came to see Maria because their husbands got them tickets from their tennis clubs.

and I live in Philadelphia so it's very cold here, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who play tennis though.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #66
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty24 View Post
you only quoted part of that statement. You said that Stosur is more popular than Maria, and Maria is popular in the U.S., so therefor you're implying that Stosur is popular in the U.S.
Please feel free to quote where I said that Stosur is more popular in the U.S. The fact that you haven't done that yet is telling. If I wrote that, you would have already quoted it. As it is, all you do is keep insisting that I said that, when I definitely did not.

For the record, this is what I wrote:

Quote:
I realize that this is just my experience, but among the people I know who do not follow tennis, not one of them knows who Sharapova is. But, they do know who Serena, Venus, and Clijsters are, and some of them know who Stosur is. Apparently you have to either have a baby or beat Serena to be known amongst the masses here. I do know one guy who knows who Sharapova is, but that is only because he saw her in a camera commercial, and he only paid attention to the commercial because there was a talking dog in it.
If you think that anything I wrote in there is saying that Stosur is popular in the U.S., and is more popular than Sharapova, then either your reading comprehension is very poor, or you are just making up bullshit for the sake of argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty24 View Post
I think the problem is that we're talking about two different groups of people. I'm talking about casual tennis fans, and you're talking about non-tennis fans. It doesn't matter who non-tennis fans find more popular, because well, they're not watching tennis. From what I've seen, people who watch tennis occasionally almost always know who Maria is.

and BTW, those people going crazy weren't crazy Maria fans. They were just regular tennis fans who came to see Maria because their husbands got them tickets from their tennis clubs.

and I live in Philadelphia so it's very cold here, that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of people who play tennis though.

You must have missed the multiple recent threads which have been saying that Sharapova is the biggest women's tennis icon ever, and is well-known and loved across every country on the planet by people who are not tennis fans. My initial post on this thread was referencing those assertions, and arguing that if Sharapova is more beloved in the U.S. than any other tennis player ever, I would expect her ratings for the FO to be better than tied for the second lowest ever. I thought it was pretty clear throughout my posts that I am talking about non-tennis fans. As far as it not mattering how popular she is among non-tennis fans, it apparently does matter to some Sharapova fans; otherwise they would not be dominating GM with posts about what a global icon she is even among non-tennis fans.

I wrote:

Quote:
I have asked all of my tennis friends if their non-tennis friends know who any tennis players are, and they have had the same experience I have - their friends know Serena and Venus, and Clijsters because such a deal was made over her having a baby. I think some people over-estimate the ability of Americans to pay attention to anything for more than 5 minutes. If Sharapova was on some singing-for-humiliation show, or if she was on some crappy reality show alongside the Kardashians, people might know who she is.
I do agree with you that she is well-known among tennis fans all over the world. In fact I would be surprised if there is any casual fan who does not know who she is. But again, tennis fans are not whom I'm talking about.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM   #67

NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all NadalSharapova is a name known to all

Quote:

Sharapova is the biggest women's tennis icon ever, and is well-known and loved across every country on the planet by people who are not tennis fans. My initial post on this thread was referencing those assertions, and arguing that if Sharapova is more beloved in the U.S. than any other tennis player ever,

I do agree with you that she is well-known among tennis fans all over the world. In fact I would be surprised if there is any casual fan who does not know who she is. But again, tennis fans are not whom I'm talking about.
She is the biggest female sporting icon in the world overall, no doubt about it. I'm not saying every single country but OVERALL.

Its like saying Manchester United are the most well known sporting team in the world, which is true however in america the new york yankees are more well known. However overall worldwide its united.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:02 PM   #68
country flag HRHoliviasmith

HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute HRHoliviasmith has a reputation beyond repute

mashabators..OH MY GOD
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #69
country flag Towanda

Quote:
She is the biggest female sporting icon in the world overall, no doubt about it. I'm not saying every single country but OVERALL.

Its like saying Manchester United are the most well known sporting team in the world, which is true however in america the new york yankees are more well known. However overall worldwide its united.
Come on now, you know that you and a couple of others were saying that she is the biggest tennis icon ever, and well-known among non-tennis fans across the globe. After a few of us said that she is not well-known among non-tennis fans in the U.S., you had a hissy fit, insisted we were lying, and started negative repping anyone who would dare to say that she is not beloved by everyone in the U.S. You can't pretend now that you weren't saying that she is well-known in every single country.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #70

Quote:
Come on now, you know that you and a couple of others were saying that she is the biggest tennis icon ever, and well-known among non-tennis fans across the globe. After a few of us said that she is not well-known among non-tennis fans in the U.S., you had a hissy fit, insisted we were lying, and started negative repping anyone who would dare to say that she is not beloved by everyone in the U.S. You can't pretend now that you weren't saying that she is well-known in every single country.
Maria to women's sport is Manchester United to worldwide sporting teams. They are the biggest in the world overall. They are liked in the USA but there will be more people watching the USA related players/teams.

I never said USA icon, I said overall worldwide icon.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #71
country flag Towanda

Quote:
Maria to women's sport is Manchester United to worldwide sporting teams. They are the biggest in the world overall. They are liked in the USA but there will be more people watching the USA related players/teams.

I never said USA icon, I said overall worldwide icon.

Right, that's why you had a fit everytime someone said she is not well known in the U.S. among non-tennis fans.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:19 PM   #72

why are you having a fit when we said she was the biggest female tennis icon?
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #73
country flag Annie.

Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute Annie. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliviasmith View Post
mashabators..OH MY GOD
Which all started from my comment

Annie. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #74

USA is irrelavant nowadays when it comes to tennis. No tennis players male or female under the age of 30 LOL

They only have the old williams
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 10:31 PM   #75
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Big fucking deal, web searches spiked when she made the SF and the F. What a shock! Every other month she is no more popular than Nadal or Djokovich. Spikes on a graph do not in any way indicate a global icon status. Someone who is truly popular would have a high number of searches on a constant basis, not just a couple of spikes when their name is in the news because they just won something. If you go look at the last couple of years, searches for Wozniacki were as high as they were for Maria. Does that mean that Wozniacki is worshipped and beloved across the U.S.?
Your logic is very strange. You did not accept the total period, now you complain about the short periods...
The fact is that in all these periods Maria is more popular than Rafa and Novak in US. And it is nothing new. it is a known fact for many years. All sponsors know it. That's why Sharapova has big contracts in US, but Rafa and Novak have not.
Popularity is not a constant number. It is a dynamic function of many parameters. Sportsmen have ups and downs, sometimes have injuries, and so on. And it reflects in their popularity. That's why the popularity is usually measured for the whole period of activity. And if we talk about the world then the advantage of Sharapova is even bigger. She is very popular in the big Asian countries where Rafa, Federer and Novak are not popular.
On the contrary in the Spanish speaking countries Rafa is by far the most popular.
Everything is very clear and very simple.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote