French Open Ratings - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:37 AM   #31
country flag ptkten

ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute ptkten has a reputation beyond repute
Re: French Open Ratings

As I said earlier, people are getting lost in the Williams/Sharapova fans pissing match but the real story isn't that Serena or Venus get better ratings than Sharapova in the U.S (that's to be expected). The frightening story for women's tennis in the U.S. is that Justine/Kim, two basically unknown players at the time in the U.S., got better ratings than the men's final that year and much better ratings than this year's final. This year, the men got significantly better ratings than the women.

The decline in the popularity of women's tennis in the U.S. (and I think probably around the world) is a serious problem that needs to be addressed and I'm not really sure what can be done.

McHale-Stephens-Watson-Robson-Townsend

Brodsky-Muhammed-Hampton-Keys-Crawford-Andrews-Hardebeck
ptkten is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:54 AM   #32
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
As I said earlier, people are getting lost in the Williams/Sharapova fans pissing match but the real story isn't that Serena or Venus get better ratings than Sharapova in the U.S (that's to be expected). The frightening story for women's tennis in the U.S. is that Justine/Kim, two basically unknown players at the time in the U.S., got better ratings than the men's final that year and much better ratings than this year's final. This year, the men got significantly better ratings than the women.

The decline in the popularity of women's tennis in the U.S. (and I think probably around the world) is a serious problem that needs to be addressed and I'm not really sure what can be done.
Yeah I really have no idea what can be done. I personally find men's tennis so boring but I guess the world doesn't agree with me.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #33
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziros View Post
Those figures are US figures,the 2 finalists in 2002 were American. Are you thick or something?
Are YOU thick? Yes,I did reference the U.S. figures. In case you didn't get it, my point was entirely about Sharapova's ratings in the U.S. being low, and that indicating that she is not as popular in the U.S. as some people think she is. Therefore, I referenced the U.S. figures. Also, I never mentioned the 2002 final, so I don't know why you are bringing that up.

Since you apparently did not understand what I wrote, I'll try again. A few Sharapova fans have been posting non-stop that Sharapova is beloved across the entire globe. The U.S. is part of the globe. Some of us pointed out that she is not well known in the U.S. We were told that we are wrong, that she is the biggest icon ever, and that everyone, including everyone in the U.S. knows who she is, and loves her.

The U.S. ratings show that she is not as beloved as some proclaim her to be.

Now do you get what I was saying? I never mentioned the 2002 final and I certainly never compared the ratings between the 2002 final and the 2012 final. The next time you ask someone, "are you thick," you might want to read their post again to make sure you understand it, and maybe that way you won't end up looking so stupid.
Towanda is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #34
country flag Towanda

Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future Towanda has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty24 View Post
Yeah I really have no idea what can be done. I personally find men's tennis so boring but I guess the world doesn't agree with me.
I don't get it either. Men's tennis is very boring right now. Every tournament you know who will be in the semi-finals, and in most of them, the finals. Women's tennis might not be at the best point that it's ever been, but at least there is some suspense regarding who will make it to the later rounds.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #35
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptkten View Post
Women's tennis' popularity has fallen so much in the last five years or so.
You are totally wrong, if we talk about worldwide popularity.
USA is not anymore an indicator of tennis popularity like it was in the past.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:14 AM   #36
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post

The U.S. ratings show only how popular NBC is.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #37
country flag ziros

ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold ziros is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Are YOU thick? Yes,I did reference the U.S. figures. In case you didn't get it, my point was entirely about Sharapova's ratings in the U.S. being low, and that indicating that she is not as popular in the U.S. as some people think she is. Therefore, I referenced the U.S. figures. Also, I never mentioned the 2002 final, so I don't know why you are bringing that up.

Since you apparently did not understand what I wrote, I'll try again. A few Sharapova fans have been posting non-stop that Sharapova is beloved across the entire globe. The U.S. is part of the globe. Some of us pointed out that she is not well known in the U.S. We were told that we are wrong, that she is the biggest icon ever, and that everyone, including everyone in the U.S. knows who she is, and loves her.

Now do you get what I was saying? I never mentioned the 2002 final and I certainly never compared the ratings between the 2002 final and the 2012 final. The next time you ask someone, "are you thick," you might want to read their post again to make sure you understand it, and maybe that way you won't end up looking so stupid.
The US isn't the biggest market when it comes to tournaments like the French Open and you KNOW IT. This is like saying "Oh the LA Galaxy-Houston Dynamo MLS final got more viewers than the Man City-Man U game in US,this proves that Man U aren't that big worldwide". And just because people didn't watch Sharapova play doesn't mean they don't know who she is. A lot of people don't want to watch because of the grunting. You're just twisting one BS fact around to try and prove some BS point
ziros is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:49 AM   #38
country flag Jimmy Dragoon

Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light Jimmy Dragoon is a glorious beacon of light

I think that this is just an indication that the WTA, like any sport, needs stars to drive ratings in the U.S. For clarification, I mean a final between TWO stars (in most cases). Look at the rating for the all Belgian final in 2003 for instance. Stars are made by the media and via their own high level, consistant play. Sharapova is a star, as well as Serena,Kim C., and Azarenka is an emerging one.

Quote:
Equally as impressive are the milestone numbers associated with the first-round upset of star Serena Williams on Tuesday, May 29. The match’s 1.02 rating was good for first place among all cable networks in Tennis Channel’s household coverage area and averaged 533,170 homes during the time period. Peaking at a 1.60 rating, the match generated more than one million viewers at its height, and is the highest-rated early round tournament play in network history. The Williams match is not the only pole propping up the network’s ratings canopy, however, as ratings in matches played by Maria Sharapova (0.95), Victoria Azarenka (0.84) and John Isner (0.68 – No. 2 in coverage area), pointed to sustained, weeklong viewer demand.
http://www.onthebaseline.com/2012/06...open-coverage/
Jimmy Dragoon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #39
country flag denny5576

Quote:
You should never use the TV ratings as a measure of any player's popularity.
Nadal - Soderling got only 1.6
It does not mean Nadal is not popular in US.
And also the fact that Nadal - Djokovic got 2.4 does not mean Rafa and Novak are popular in US.
The TV ratings measure only the public interest to the specific telecasting event of a specific TV. In our case to the RG final as shown by NBC. It does not measure the popularity of the players.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #40
country flag Towanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny5576 View Post
You are totally wrong, if we talk about worldwide popularity.
USA is not anymore an indicator of tennis popularity like it was in the past.
I can't speak for the rest of the world, but tennis has never been very popular in the U.S., and you're right, it has fallen quite a bit in recent years. I can't imagine how much more unpopular it would be if not for Serena and Venus. I think the only current player that people here really know much about other than those two is Clijsters, and that's only because such a huge deal was made about her coming back after having a baby, and she is in commercials for Citizen watches.

Quote:
The U.S. ratings show only how popular NBC is.
I really am not getting that comment. NBC is not a pay channel. You don't even have to subscribe to cable or satellite to have it. Everyone with a tv in the U.S. can pick up NBC. If someone was really a big Sharapova fan, they could have watched the FO final.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:29 AM   #41
country flag Towanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziros View Post
The US isn't the biggest market when it comes to tournaments like the French Open and you KNOW IT. This is like saying "Oh the LA Galaxy-Houston Dynamo MLS final got more viewers than the Man City-Man U game in US,this proves that Man U aren't that big worldwide". And just because people didn't watch Sharapova play doesn't mean they don't know who she is. A lot of people don't want to watch because of the grunting. You're just twisting one BS fact around to try and prove some BS point
I never said that the U.S. is the biggest market when it comes to tennis, and I have no idea where you got that from. In fact, I often comment on how unpopular tennis is here. And again, I never said that the fact that Sharapova is not popular in the U.S. means she is not popular elsewhere.

For the last time, it has been proclaimed that Sharapova is the biggest tennis icon ever, and that she is popular across the entire world. I pointed out that she is not popular in the U.S., so therefore, she is not popular across the entire world. Not once have I said that she is not extremely popular in other countries, in fact, I know that she is quite popular in most every country except the U.S.

You seriously need to work on your reading comprehension. If someone says, "Sharapova is well known and beloved in every country across the entire globe," yet there is one country on the globe where Sharapova is not well-known and beloved, then the statement, Sharapova is worshipped and beloved in every country across the entire globe" is obviously not true. I think that the ratings from the FO final do indicate that she is not worshipped and beloved here. You are right that the ratings do not indicate whether or not she is known, but I do think that if Americans loved and worshipped her, the ratings would have been higher, and they certainly wouldn't have been the second lowest ever for a FO final. I also base my judgment that people here do not know her on the fact that no one that I know who does not follow tennis has a clue as to who she is. But, they do know who Serena, Venus, and Kim Clijsters are. Many also know who Stosur is because she beat Serena in the U.S. final, but I assume they will quickly forget about that. Granted this is only my experience based on my friends, but every person I know who is a tennis fan has said similar things regarding people here not knowing who most players, including Sharapova is.

I don't know why we have to keep going around and around about this. Why is it so important for some Sharapova fans to believe that she is so popular everywhere? And again, if you still don't get it, that is all I have been saying, that she is not popular in the U.S. I have certainly never said any of the nonsense that you think I have said, like that the U.S. somehow represents how the rest of the world feels. But, if you think I've ever really said that, you can feel free to quote it. Until then, let's just end this conversation as it is pointless to continue it.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:35 AM   #42
country flag JRena

JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of JRena has much to be proud of

Can you really blame them? I stopped watching after the first round. Plus French has never been really my favorite slam, there hasn't been any epic matches there unlike AO and Wimbledon.
JRena is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:36 AM   #43
country flag The Witch-king

The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute The Witch-king has a reputation beyond repute

did they just call kuznetsova and safina men?
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #44
country flag Towanda

Quote:
You should never use the TV ratings as a measure of any player's popularity.
Nadal - Soderling got only 1.6
It does not mean Nadal is not popular in US.
And also the fact that Nadal - Djokovic got 2.4 does not mean Rafa and Novak are popular in US.
The TV ratings measure only the public interest to the specific telecasting event of a specific TV. In our case to the RG final as shown by NBC. It does not measure the popularity of the players.
I don't only use the TV ratings as a measure of popularity.

I realize that this is just my experience, but among the people I know who do not follow tennis, not one of them knows who Sharapova is. But, they do know who Serena, Venus, and Clijsters are, and some of them know who Stosur is. Apparently you have to either have a baby or beat Serena to be known amongst the masses here. I do know one guy who knows who Sharapova is, but that is only because he saw her in a camera commercial, and he only paid attention to the commercial because there was a talking dog in it.

I have asked all of my tennis friends if their non-tennis friends know who any tennis players are, and they have had the same experience I have - their friends know Serena and Venus, and Clijsters because such a deal was made over her having a baby. I think some people over-estimate the ability of Americans to pay attention to anything for more than 5 minutes. If Sharapova was on some singing-for-humiliation show, or if she was on some crappy reality show alongside the Kardashians, people might know who she is.

You mentioned Nadal and Djokovic - yes, they are popular among tennis fans, but again, people who do not follow tennis so not know who they are. Regardless, the discussion regarding Sharapova is different, as a few people here have been arging that she has reached a level of celebrity that has made her well-known across the entire world, while Djokovic and Nadal have not become celebrities at the level of Sharapova. That is what I am talking about when I talk about popularity - not the popularity of a tennis player among fans, but the popularity of a tennis player as a celebrity, and among people who are not tennis fans. Seriously, if Sharapova were well-known in the U.S., one of the crappy reality show channels would have offered her a tv show by now.
Old Jun 13th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #45
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't only use the TV ratings as a measure of popularity.

I realize that this is just my experience, but among the people I know who do not follow tennis, not one of them knows who Sharapova is. But, they do know who Serena, Venus, and Clijsters are, and some of them know who Stosur is. Apparently you have to either have a baby or beat Serena to be known amongst the masses here. I do know one guy who knows who Sharapova is, but that is only because he saw her in a camera commercial, and he only paid attention to the commercial because there was a talking dog in it.

I have asked all of my tennis friends if their non-tennis friends know who any tennis players are, and they have had the same experience I have - their friends know Serena and Venus, and Clijsters because such a deal was made over her having a baby. I think some people over-estimate the ability of Americans to pay attention to anything for more than 5 minutes. If Sharapova was on some singing-for-humiliation show, or if she was on some crappy reality show alongside the Kardashians, people might know who she is.

You mentioned Nadal and Djokovic - yes, they are popular among tennis fans, but again, people who do not follow tennis so not know who they are. Regardless, the discussion regarding Sharapova is different, as a few people here have been arging that she has reached a level of celebrity that has made her well-known across the entire world, while Djokovic and Nadal have not become celebrities at the level of Sharapova. That is what I am talking about when I talk about popularity - not the popularity of a tennis player among fans, but the popularity of a tennis player as a celebrity, and among people who are not tennis fans. Seriously, if Sharapova were well-known in the U.S., one of the crappy reality show channels would have offered her a tv show by now.
First of all, to say Stosur is more popular than Maria in the US is just crazy talk. Second of all, I guess we've had different experiences because most people I talk to know who Maria is. They usually also know who Serena and Venus are(though not always by name) but I've rarely seen someone knowing who Serena and Venus are but not Masha.
When I went to the US Open two years ago people went CRAZY when Maria was practicing. They would hide in bushes just to see her. Lots of people also went to an outer court and stood on the highest row that looks over the practice courts to see her practice. We actually got kicked out of the court because so many people came just to see Maria practice.