Mirjana's spring 2012 European swing - Page 27 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 29th, 2012, 10:28 PM   #391
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's spring 2012 European swing

Quote:
Originally Posted by volume3d View Post
Glasses can't help if you get bad draw

First part is about her last 4 GS where she played with all seeds.

Second paragraph her words about match against Kuznecova...'I started to play in the middle of 2nd set...fist match, huge court, you hope to get someone easy to play but I really dont have any luck in GS draws' 'Kuznecova is not so good this year but she won RG and was no2 in the world'

'We planned to stay in Paris a little bit longer but it is the best to forget Paris and start to prepare for grass season. I need to play qualies in Wimbledon... At least there I can't play against top players LOL'

Now they mentioned her win against top30 Vinci last year in Birmingham. SHe's playing Nottingham first....

'I dont want to talk about future plans , im 120th player in the world at the moment and that's it. I think that I can play more good matches in the future but sometimes I need a little more luck. Its ok to play against the seeded players but not in the first round...I feel good, I train hard and I hope to have more luck in the future.

She just said that she's happy with her new trainer.

Last paragraph is about her glasses lol... 'I know I look ridiculous but this is the only way'...She has problems with astigmatism .
Lines look blurry to me, base lines look like they are very very far away /but they are not lol / . I cant wear contacts so glasses are only solution.'
---------

And that's it, sorry for my flop English
Thank you very kindly for the summary. It is appreciated!

Mirjana sounds very disgruntled, in some ways, and it sounds as if this will indeed be her last season if something significant does not happen between now and October.

That is sensible and rational -- the cost to even go to these events and participate is insane.

Yeah, she's had bad luck with draws at Slam events, but there's a difference between meeting a Schiavone and a Kuznetsova and producing some respectable tennis, maybe losing 7-5 7-5, and just handing easy matches to such opponents in head-freaking cackles of screaming nonsense (crazy errors).

She had great opportunities to win in her two biggest Slam showdowns, against Jankovic in 2010 and Cibulkova (that witch) last year in the Wimbeldon heartbreaker.

She should have won both those matches, but she didn't, and it is not easy to come back from such lost opportunitites,
I give Mirjana a lot of credit for persevering, but she needs to implement those little mental bits soon, or it's absolutely over.

She still does not have the sort of career-thrilling, earth-shattering "win" that her talent deserves. Jankovic would have been the Big Change, but she flubed it and was so exhausted.

I'd rather look at her results as a triumph. Not everyone could return from her past and crack the Top 100. No way.

She does not want to plan for a long-term career, obviously, at this stage, but she and her coach ought to be focusing upon making one really big run ... anywhere. Just one WTA-level title, one good Slam foray.

Mirjana could do this ... if she gets that last bit of her head together.
mikireturns is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #392
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Oh man, Martinez Sanchez is into the third round and Miki just beat her last week :-(

I hope she realizes that she could be making inroads like this, if only the stars align for her in terms of a draw at a Slam event.

Hope she really gets some points in June ...
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:28 AM   #393
country flag mikireturns

Don't look now but it appears Mirjana has withdrawn from Nottingham. I wonder if she is injured or thinking of hanging it up. She needs to groove her game on grass ... Very unfortunate.
Old May 31st, 2012, 03:22 AM   #394
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

Bad sign...she said in an interview a few days ago that she was going to play
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:51 PM   #395
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by croat123 View Post
Bad sign...she said in an interview a few days ago that she was going to play
Yeah. I mean, there was a small chance she would not make the main draw, but she was 2nd seed in qualifying. It would have afforded her grass court matches either way. I can see not wanting to play the qualifying for a 75K event at this stage of her career, but Nottingham's field is solid enough to have given her a look at some tough players in prep for Wimbledon.

She may have decided to take off a week and work with her coach, since she will be in 3 other events. Still, matches are her best hope. Don't want her to get rusty. She could draw the top seed in Birmingham and that wouldn't be pretty. Oh well ... I get the sense she is going to hang it up at year's end, anyhow. She's making progress, but not the kind she wanted to make by this juncture.
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:24 PM   #396
country flag networthy

networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future networthy has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikireturns View Post
Oh well ... I get the sense she is going to hang it up at year's end, anyhow. She's making progress, but not the kind she wanted to make by this juncture.

That would really be too bad. She's actually doing much better this year than last. Here are the stats through the time of the French Open:

W-L: 8-13

W-L: 16-15 (twice as many wins as last year )
networthy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 08:40 AM   #397
country flag Krijes Sedam

Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice Krijes Sedam is just really nice

if that's the case, why is she still 10-20 spots lower WTA list than she was last year?
Krijes Sedam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 10:02 AM   #398
country flag sportske

sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice sportske is just really nice

she is out of nottingham because she will play qualy for birmingham in same week so :P
sportske is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 01:53 PM   #399
country flag jaylucic

jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice jaylucic is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportske View Post
she is out of nottingham because she will play qualy for birmingham in same week so :P
she is in the MD of Birmingham!
jaylucic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2012, 02:45 PM   #400
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krijes Sedam View Post
if that's the case, why is she still 10-20 spots lower WTA list than she was last year?
The reason is due to the fact that she hasn't produced enough success when she had lots of room to advance and (thus far) she has not defended her big points well enough to stay afloat. The WTA Ranking system at its best, even though, in the Year-Thus-Far rankings she is the 112th player in the world, which is much better than this time last year, when she was WTA-ranked around 90 and was about 150 in the points race for the season.

At this point, it doesn't matter where she does it: she needs a good 100 point run and then she then she needs to collect a good additional 100-200 points between now and the US Open. If she plays everything she can and stays in form (unlikeast summer) it is very doable. She needs to stay in Europe and play some clay, then come back and play Challengers and one or two WTA events before the US Open.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #401
country flag mikireturns

Well, good news is that Mirjana faces wc Melanie South in r1 at Birmingham.
The so-so news is that she faces Jankovic in the next round (if Mirjana wins) and then a possible quarterfinal with Schiavone if either of them get that far.

She knows she can play Jankovic, and Jankovic is slumping dreadfully, but watch this be the "miracle event" for her.

More depressing is Schiavone. Mirjana simply has no clue as to how to play her. One hopes she finds her grass legs right out of the gate.