The P Diddy scholarship as applied to women's tennis - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
The P Diddy scholarship as applied to women's tennis

There has been some discussion on blogs and a forum for men's college tennis about the son of a wealthy entertainer getting a football scholarship from UCLA.

Lots of different sides were presented.

To me, the central issue is was the athlete treated significantly different because he had a famous and wealthy father.

Any thoughts, on idea of athletes of wealthy families getting tennis scholarships?
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold
Re: The P Diddy scholarship as applied to women's tennis

The kid's performance is left open on the field for everyone to have an opinion on. I am sure that is on the coach's mind but there's always going to be politics that gets factored in.

As far as wealthy families getting scholarships, from the kid's standpoint, it's something he/she earned and didn't need rich dad writing a check for. How can you take that away if the kid earned it?

It's up to the rich parents to support the alumni, which should be a separate issue and not linked in with taking the scholarship away from the kid who I am assuming earned it.

If the kid didn't earned it and is getting a free ride because the parents are rich and famous, well that falls into the category of politics and that is a different topic.
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5th, 2012, 06:32 PM   #3
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice

I don't think a parents status should have any effect on whether a kid should get a scholarship or not, given that it was earned (or at least perceived earned... there are plenty of players who we think don't deserve scholarships... lol).

It should be about what the kid has accomplished, not who the parents are.
SakiBomb25 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 01:46 AM   #4
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

It's more of the distribution of financial aid issue, not much of the merit.

When you have a multi-millionaire father, $54K is really a drop in the bucket, so why not have him pay for it so it can free up the money to equally deserving athletes?

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #5
country flag SakiBomb25

SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice SakiBomb25 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowsonice View Post
It's more of the distribution of financial aid issue, not much of the merit.

When you have a multi-millionaire father, $54K is really a drop in the bucket, so why not have him pay for it so it can free up the money to equally deserving athletes?
Because then what type of message is that sending to the kid? Don't work hard, mommy and daddy will pay for everything? If he really deserved it, then he should reap the benefits of the scholarship. Again, this is about the kid, not about who his parents are. His accomplishments should not be diminished or punished because his father is rich.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:33 AM   #6
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

It would be a nice gesture for P Diddy to pay but it's not a financial issue, it is the principle.

P Diddy handed his son the silver spoon, all his life, and the kid has heard all those stories of when P Diddy had no money. Therefore, this is the one time that his son stands on his own two feet to make it on his own.

It is not an issue for P Diddy to buy the fish but for his son know how to catch the fish on his own.
I am sure the kid is proud of that and it is a life lesson passed on from father to son.

Of course, this doesn't help the underprivileged, but we're only speaking of one person, who would have benefited by the scholarship and we don't know for sure if that person's parents are doctors or lawyers.
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 02:46 AM   #7
country flag tie_breaker

On a side note, my brother has already paid for his kids college fund, through some savings plan that he started awhile back.

One of his sons has a reasonable chance of getting a baseball scholarship in a few years. I asked him what happens to the college fund if his son does NOT need it?

He says that becomes his new Porsche 911...no wonder why he's obsessed with his son getting that scholarship
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #8
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakiBomb25 View Post
Because then what type of message is that sending to the kid? Don't work hard, mommy and daddy will pay for everything? If he really deserved it, then he should reap the benefits of the scholarship. Again, this is about the kid, not about who his parents are. His accomplishments should not be diminished or punished because his father is rich.
It sends a message to the kid that the scholarship can go to other equally deserving athletes and that he should allow that to happen. And in this case, it is about the kid, but there are so many cases out there where it is about the parents. One example is Justin Spitz, son of the famed Olympic swimmer Mark Spitz, whose high school swimming career is rather lackluster for a Stanford-level swimmer, but I think the namesake of Spitz (who was the best American swimmer before Michael Phelps) had a lot to do with it.

Of course P Diddy's son deserved it. It's not like him not receiving the scholarship will take away his spot on the team or diminish the kind of athlete he is. Everybody knows anyway that he was a scholarship-worthy recruit; the fact that he would donate it back just adds more volumes to his character

GO BEARS!
Old Jun 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM   #9
country flag SakiBomb25

I don't know why you are bringing up Justin Spitz - he may be on the Stanford swim team, but that doesn't mean he got a scholarship to be on the team. Heck, he didn't even swim his freshman year! So bringing that in as an example doesn't really work.
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #10
country flag cowsonice

Okay. Scratch that Justin Spitz example (although I was more going towards allowing these kinds of athletes to be on the team and the lack of meritocracy involved)

A lot of times, the principle behind a scholarship is that a scholarship is meant to be the commensurate of the person's athletic ability. So here, a UCLA scholarship shows just how good P Diddy's son is as an athlete. Sometimes, the scholarship offered is another attractive lure for an athlete to go to that school, and that is not the case here.

Like I said before, it would be nice if P Diddy donated it back so that UCLA can have some money to scout for other athletes and expand its programs. This does nothing to take away the kind of athlete he is considering that he got on through his athletic ability, with the scholarship being an added bonus/award.

GO BEARS!