Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5 - Page 142 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #2116
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Danish Delight - Caroline Wozniacki thread - vol 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post

As far as her draws I think this is a rare time when we agree. "Easy" or "hard" she has to win her matches either way.
Azarenka drew Serena in round 3 of the USO. She was the top 4 seed who drew Serena, and Serena won in 2 sets.
Did it hurt Vika's career? Now she's #1 and won the only major of 2012.
An elite player shouldnt worry about draws. You have to get some results, which means beat some good players.
If you consistently dont get those results, your ranking will show it
The reason Caroline went from #1 to #8 isnt drawing Serena early.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #2117
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Surely some of you can see a glimmer of humour in this particular post? Jimmie48, this is right up your alley.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....0&postcount=54

If anyone is unfamiliar with the original cover here it is:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/time-m...r-time-mag.jpg

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:48 PM   #2118
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
For me Caroline has reached a level where she should be competing against the best and I find it hard to get excited at the thought of her playing small events. Copenhagen I can understand as she is key to the success of that tournament but I don't think she should be playing events like Guangzhou. To me that is taking a backward step. If it helps her to have greater success in Tokyo and Beijing I will gleefully admit that I was wrong but I feel that she should be focusing on the bigger events.
Well, if she can pick up a title there, why not? It's not as though this tournament will interfere with her preperation to one of the majors or the Olympics in which case I would agree with you.

Chrissie-fan is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #2119
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Surely some of you can see a glimmer of humour in this particular post? Jimmie48, this is right up your alley.

I for one find that one pretty funny, yes.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #2120
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissie-fan View Post
Well, if she can pick up a title there, why not? It's not as though this tournament will interfere with her preperation to one of the majors or the Olympics in which case I would agree with you.
Why not? Hmmm, that is a fair question. You know what, I'll concede the point to you. If Caroline feels like it is worth her time to play there and (hopefully) win a title good for her. I feel like that time would be better spent tweaking her game and preparing for Tokyo and Beijing but let's see how things play out.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:18 PM   #2121
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

If anyone is unfamiliar with the original cover here it is:

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/time-m...r-time-mag.jpg
Ha! I hadn't even noticed that one had been superimposed too. But yes, that's well made ..

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2122
country flag Jimmie48
Live at the Rainbow!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:25 PM   #2123
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
As far as her draws I think this is a rare time when we agree. "Easy" or "hard" she has to win her matches either way.
Well I'm not saying she has to win all her matches or that I even expect her to when she plays the top players and Serena. It's just an opportunity to play them and raise her game. Likewise with "easy" draws it is an opportunity to improve on her winning more matches and at least going deeper than she has been doing.

Really - the playing better comes first and if she got more wins than she's been getting - that would be the evidence.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2124
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
Well I'm not saying she has to win all her matches or that I even expect her to when she plays the top players and Serena. It's just an opportunity to play them and raise her game. Likewise with "easy" draws it is an opportunity to improve on her winning more matches and at least going deeper than she has been doing.

Really - the playing better comes first and if she got more wins than she's been getting - that would be the evidence.
And of course - "easy draws" are things of the past. These days there only are difficult draws and even more difficult draws.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #2125
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I do see your point but assuming that the draw is fairly weak I don't think it means much for a top ten player to win by facing no other player inside the top thirty. I don't just feel that way about Caroline either, I would say the same thing about any top ten player in an international level event. I just find it a little odd that she has decided to play that particular event. One possible motivation is desperation to win a title in 2012 as the field there will certainly be weaker than at any other event she has left this year.
I can't understand your negative way of looking at it. Caro does NOT play tournaments like Copenhagen out of desperation to win something. Jeez if she wins - ffs look on the bright side and don't not constantly bemoan Oh it was a noddy tournament oh it was a poor player. Of course we would like her to win the bigger tournaments. But don't despise everything else. And if she just wins small tournaments (not that she has anyway this season) - she's not going to improve leaps and bounds in her ranking and to climb the rankings she needs to do well at big tournaments. But don't depise anything she achieves if she does it or call her desperate please.

I'm curious. Is there anything you are pretty good at? If so - what are you like when you win something but it isn't the biggest. I mean I'm elated if I win something. Do you go - I did this out of desperation to win something?

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters

Last edited by terjw : May 12th, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2126
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And of course - "easy draws" are things of the past. These days there only are difficult draws and even more difficult draws.
Yeah, I cant imagine any easy draw for Caroline at a Tier I when she's gone 9 majors since her last final, 5 mandatories since her last final, 4 Premier 5's with a combined total of one match win.
She has to try to improve her game. Something happened and her game went backwards.
Nothing else she can do but try hard to improve. And so is everyone else, so its not easy.

Old May 12th, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2127
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
If Rory sees that one I'm sure he thinks, "you can all laugh at me as much as you want, but there's not a single person amongst you who wouldn't love to be in my place."

Old May 12th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #2128
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
I can't understand your negative way of looking at it. Caro does NOT play tournaments like Copenhagen out of desperation to win something. Jeez if she wins - ffs look on the bright side and don't not constantly bemoan Oh it was a noddy tournament oh it was a poor player. Of course we would like her to win the bigger tournaments. But don't despise everything else. And if she just wins small tournaments (not that she has anyway this season) - she's not going to improve leaps and bounds in her ranking and to climb the rankings she needs to do well at big tournaments. But don't depise anything she achieves if she does it or call her desperate please.

I'm curious. Is there anything you are pretty good at? If so - what are you like when you win something but it isn't the biggest. I mean I'm elated if I win something. Do you go - I did this out of desperation to win something?
I guess I just look at her career differently than you do. For me the international level events were a stepping stone on her way to being one of the top players. Now that she is a top player I don't see the need in playing them any longer. She has climbed the ladder of success and passed them and going back seems like an unnecessary retreat. She has never played there before and it was not originally on her schedule so I think it is strange that she has decided to play there.

I believe it was Sven Groeneveld that mentioned how little time there is during the season to work on her game and try to improve. I see the week spent in Guangzhou as a wasted opportunity to do so much needed work on her game. I wouldn't say that I despise everything but the big tournaments but it is fair to say that I find it hard to muster much interest in smaller events.

To answer your last question let me say that I tend to start small and try to work my way up. The small steps seem very trivial once you start advancing but they are necessary to get you where you need to end up. I feel exactly the same way about international level events and Caroline. They served their purpose but I don't feel like they are something that benefit her any longer.

These are all just my opinions and I certainly don't present them as facts, I don't understand why you seem to get agitated about what I think. I'm just an opinionated guy with too much time on his hands.

Old May 12th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #2129
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
If Rory sees that one I'm sure he thinks, "you can all laugh at me as much as you want, but there's not a single person amongst you who wouldn't love to be in my place."
There is much truth in the words you have typed.

Old May 12th, 2012, 10:21 PM   #2130
country flag goldenlox

Quote:

I believe it was Sven Groeneveld that mentioned how little time there is during the season to work on her game and try to improve. I see the week spent in Guangzhou as a wasted opportunity to do so much needed work on her game... I'm just an opinionated guy with too much time on his hands.
I understand that. I would use that time to try different racket/string combinations.
The other side is that an Int'l would be her best chance to win any title this year ( along with New Haven). She played 13 tournaments since New Haven & her only final was the loss in Copenhagen.

I dont believe playing matches helps her. She played a lot in Copenhagen then was awful in Stuttgart. So I dont think winning against some players who are outside the top 40 at an Int'l will help. But it might be her best chance at a title, and she probably doesnt want to go 2 or 3 years without one. The way she's playing now, its possible she wont win any Premiers for a while

Closed Thread