NCAA rules - explanations - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 28th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #46
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: $2,000 athletic scholarship increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
The NCAA board adopted a much-anticipated proposal that will allow universities to boost their athletic scholarships by as much as $2,000 to cover the full cost of attendance.

Proponents of the scholarship increase see it as a way to help student-athletes, many of whom are asked to train year-round and cannot work to pay for miscellaneous expenses or even food once their season ends and they no longer get training table meals.

Each conference will be free to vote on whether to adopt the proposal. Critics argue that any increase in spending favors larger, wealthier conferences and exacerbates the so-called arms race.

"The NCAA, apparently, is not concerned about that," said Robert Kustra, president of Boise State.

Boise president just summed it up. Non-football schools just got left at the gate and we all know where tennis fits in most atletic depts when budgets are tight.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 21st, 2011, 08:17 PM   #47
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Colleges paying for Fall pro tournaments

Hal Incandenza talks about colleges able to pay for pro tournaments in the Fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Incandenza View Post
It is actually allowed and other top schools do this as well. It's a way to sign/keep that player that is on the bubble of going pro or playing in college. The pro events count as any other fall event and the school can pay, just like any other fall event, as long as a coach from the school takes them. If they go alone, the school can't pay.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #48
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Head count vs Equivalency sports

Form talks about the difference between head count and equivalency sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytennis View Post
Here are the D-1 college sports that give either full scholarships or none!

Men
Football
Basketball

Women
Basketball
Gymnastics
Tennis
Volleyball
Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
This list is correct. it's known as HEAD COUNT sports meaning they count the number of athletes receiving support. In these sports it is very difficult to compete unless you offer FULL scholarships because other schools will offer full scholarships. It's sort of an all or nothing in most cases for good players.

All other sports (20+ sports) are EQUIVALENCY sports where you get a pot of money equivalent to a number (baseball is 11.7, men's tennis is 4.5 I believe)... and that money is spread amongst unlimited number. Basically you are like a General Manager trying to attract players within a salary cap. Some fulls, some partials of varying sizes, some walk ons.

There is a big CULTURE difference between the two in each sport. In HEAD COUNT SPORTS, the student and their parents basically expect a full scholarship (except for a few elite academic schools). Otherwise they move on to the next best offer.

In EQUIVALENCY SPORTS, the goal is as much supports as possible COMBINED with a calculation as to how much mom/dad/loans will have to come up with to cover the difference.

The student athletes literally grow up with different mental expectations depending on the situation.
Old Jan 1st, 2012, 06:46 AM   #49
country flag gouci

Re: Conference realignment

Transferring Conferences

Belmont - from Atlantic Sun to Ohio Valley for 2012-13

North Dakota - from Great West to Big Sky for 2012-13

Northern Kentucky - from Div. 2 to Div. 1 Atlantic Sun for 2012-13

Texas Arlington - from Southland to WAC for 2012-13

To SEC for 2012-13

Missouri - from Big 12
Texas A&M - from Big 12

To Big 12 for 2012-13

TCU - from Mountain West
West Virginia - from Big East

To Big East for 2013-14

Central Florida - from Conference USA
Houston - from Conference USA
SMU - from Conference USA
Boise State - from Mountain West (football only)
San Diego State - from Mountain West (football only)

Boise State - from Mountain West to WAC (Olympic sports) for 2013-14

San Diego State - from Mountain West to Big West (Olympic sports) for 2013-14

To Southland

Oral Roberts - from Summit League to Southland for 2012-13
Houston Baptist - from Great West to Southland for 2013-14

To ACC for 2014-15?

Syracuse - from Big East (date TBD)
Pittsburgh - from Big East (date TBD)

Last edited by gouci : Feb 15th, 2012 at 04:38 AM.
Old Mar 27th, 2012, 02:55 AM   #50
country flag gouci

Re: Conference realignment

To Atlantic 10 for 2013-14

Butler - from Horizon League
George Mason - from Colonial Athletic Association
VCU - from Colonial Athletic Association

To Big East for 2013-14

Temple - from Atlantic 10

To Sun Belt for 2013-14

Charlotte - from Atlantic 10

according to CBSSports.com

To WCC for 2013-14

Pacific - from Big West

Last edited by gouci : Mar 28th, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Apr 6th, 2012, 08:09 PM   #51
country flag gouci

NCAA ranking formula

10sE does a great job of explaining below the formula for ranking teams and individuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post

The ranking value is the result of a fraction:

Wins (and their value, which depends on your opponents' rank) is the numerator, and countable matches plus losses as the denominator. If a team were undefeated, however many wins are being counted at the current ranking date is the denominator. This number increases as the season goes on and caps off at a certain number. Every time a team loses, there is a figure added to the denominator (the worse the ranking, the higher the number added), thereby decreasing the total value. This explains why a team's ranking drops suddenly after a "bad" loss, especially early after the computer takes over and not as many wins are being "counted".

So it's X (points for countable wins) over Y (number of countable wins) plus Z (losses)

The exact formula is "secret" but you one tell by movement in rankings that a loss against a top-10 team hardly adds any value to the denominator while an unranked loss affects a team a great deal. Also it is clear that less wins/losses are counted early in the season because big wins/bad losses affect a team's ranking # more dramatically (not actual rank, but the integer next to the team, which is the result of the calculation).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post

To make it more clear, and I know this is not exactly correct but just for the sake of clarifying, say there are 320 D1 teams, a win over the #1 team would get you 320 points and a win over the #320 team would get you 1 pt.

A loss against the #1 team would add 1 to your denominator while a loss against the worst team would add 320.

Judging by the final ranking value the figures above are clearly not correct, but the principle (benefit/detriment of a win/loss directly proportional to opponent's rank) is.

Someone with a math background could probably figure it out.
Old Apr 14th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #52
country flag gouci

NCAA Team Tournament Seeding

Form talks about seeding for the NCAA team tournament.

Quote:

Actually found it in the 2011 handbook as I cannot yet find the 2012 book.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbo..._mw_tennis.pdf

Page 22

Seeding
Team championship. The Division I Tennis Committee will seed teams using the
selection criteria, excluding the “wins versus teams already selected” criterion. The
selection criteria includes a review of team results obtained beginning January 1
through May 1, 2011.

The committee will seed teams 1-16 in order. Nos. 17-32 will be banded in order.
Nos. 33-48 will be banded alphabetically as a group of 16. Nos. 49-64 will be banded
alphabetically as a group of 16. Teams will not be re-seeded after the first and second rounds.
Old May 8th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #53
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice
Re: NCAA rules - explanations

Gouci, I think I read in this thread that transfers in-conference would result in a player having to lose a year of eligibility? So say if someone was transferring from Duke to UNC or vice versa (ACC to ACC) they would lose a year of eligibility, correct?
ats_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #54
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
Gouci, I think I read in this thread that transfers in-conference would result in a player having to lose a year of eligibility? So say if someone was transferring from Duke to UNC or vice versa (ACC to ACC) they would lose a year of eligibility, correct?
Yes, also if a coach doesn't allow a transfer to be made, the player has to sit out a year

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #55
country flag form

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbuddy12 View Post
Yes, also if a coach doesn't allow a transfer to be made, the player has to sit out a year
You have to sit a year.

You don't technically lose one of your four competition years ... but you do lose 1 of the 5 years you have to complete 4 years if you transfer within conference or without departing uni granting approval.

Personally, I wish they'd mirror the Basketball/Football rule... if you transfer you must sit a year.. period. Then kids might think a bit harder about their choice or jumping ship. Likewise, it would make it more difficult for coaches (UVA, Baylor in the past) to continuously cut kids as they SHOP each year for better and better.

Would make both sides of the argument a bit more responsible.
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #56
country flag ats_tennis

ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice ats_tennis is just really nice

Quote:
You have to sit a year.

You don't technically lose one of your four competition years ... but you do lose 1 of the 5 years you have to complete 4 years if you transfer within conference or without departing uni granting approval.

Personally, I wish they'd mirror the Basketball/Football rule... if you transfer you must sit a year.. period. Then kids might think a bit harder about their choice or jumping ship. Likewise, it would make it more difficult for coaches (UVA, Baylor in the past) to continuously cut kids as they SHOP each year for better and better.

Would make both sides of the argument a bit more responsible.
Thanks form! Last question: what about de-committnig from a verbal commitment? Are there any rules that punish players for de-committing from a verbal?
ats_tennis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #57
country flag gullytwin

gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice gullytwin is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats_tennis View Post
Thanks form! Last question: what about de-committnig from a verbal commitment? Are there any rules that punish players for de-committing from a verbal?
I'm pretty sure the answer is "no"--a verbal means, essentially, nothing, and either the coach/team or the player can renege without any penalty. Until the discussion of Virginia on this board, though, I hadn't heard of teams reneging on offers, only players changing their minds.
gullytwin is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #58
country flag form

gullytwin is correct... a verbal is like a promise ring.... you can walk away from it. The person who got the promise ring was all excited but ultimately only got scre****. hehehehehe

Actually the verbal is also a two way street... until that paperwork is signed and returned, the coach can pull back even if they have received a verbal also.

It's just a promise that can be broken.

I know of a Pac school who once pulled back on a verbal... but to be honest they were smart. The girl had verballed and then pretty much stopped playing so you could see that mess coming fast. And it did, she washed out of another school back east in two years of poor play also.