Romania Choker/Fighter Thread, updated for 2013 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #1
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Romania Choker/Fighter Thread, updated for 2013

Enough is enough, people. It's not about blaming, emberrassing or exposing our players. Let's consider it more as an antijinx for the future (Dulgheru winning watch) - of course fighting performances can be named as well.

Have fun!
Chokes
Australian Open, QR2: Michelle Larcher de Brito def. Cristina Mitu 1-6 7-5 6-2, Cristina led by 6-1 3-0 40-0 and 4-1* in the second set.

Rais-Bercy, R1: Carla Suarez-Navarro def. Monica Niculescu 6-3 7-6(3), Monica led in the 2nd set by 4*-0, 5*-3, had 2 SPs at 5-4*, got broken at 5-5 on a DF. She broke serve in every game she had BPs apart from the one she had SPs in.

Doha, R2: Caroline Wozniacki def. Sorana Cîrstea 7-6(7) 6-0, Sorana wasted a 4*-1 lead and 4 SPs in the TB before falling apart completely.

Fights

Florianopolis, R1: Monica Niculescu def. Anabel medina Garrigues 5-7 7-6(7) 6-1, Monica won the 2nd set TB from 3-6 down saving 3 consecutive MPs.

Acapulco, R1: Irina-Camelia Begu def. Ajla Tomljanovic 6-2 3-6 7-5, Irina-Camelia came back from 0-3* and 4-5* 0-30 down in the 3rd set. Also saved another 2 BPs at 5-5.

IMPORTANT: Losing after being a break up or the opposite, as well as getting broken by serving for the set or the other way round isn't enough to enter the list - only bigger leads or a poor/strong BP conversion is worth mentioning.

Last edited by Curcubeu : Feb 26th, 2013 at 04:53 AM.
Curcubeu is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #2
country flag Curcubeu

Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute Curcubeu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Romania Choker/Fighter Thread

I guess a list from the beginning of the year isn't necessaty, is it?
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #3
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute

See ya for Volume 2 next week.
Djezonfly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4
country flag Curcubeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djezonfly View Post
See ya for Volume 2 next week.
I love your humour.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #5
country flag Curcubeu

Took long for the first entry worth performance.
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #6
country flag postalblowfish

postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future postalblowfish has a brilliant future

Been trying to think of a Simona one for the latter category but none spring to mind.
postalblowfish is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2012, 09:49 PM   #7
country flag Curcubeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
Been trying to think of a Simona one for the latter category but none spring to mind.
Lol

If you are generous, you could add that she broke Hantuchova at Doha when serving for the match, however, she just got into the situation because she got broken after a 40-0 herself the game before.
Old May 8th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #8
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great work
Djezonfly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM   #9
country flag Curcubeu

I knew why I opened it. Antijinx successful.

1st fighter entry for Simona after saving 3 MPs and winning against Jelena.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:32 PM   #10
country flag grs

grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of

It's hard to say if a come back is a "choke" or a "fight" of both of them without watching the match. For example Verdasco came back from 2-5* against Nadal in Madrid by raising his game to a level too high for Nadal ( who played at a medium level being unused with the blue clay). On the other hand Sorana against Kerber lost her concentration after a bad call and started to play like a junior, losing a match dominated by her.
grs is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
country flag Curcubeu

Of course, but in case of Sorana and Monica it's to 99,99% the first answer.

Anyway, saving MPs is always a fight worthy mention.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:45 PM   #12
country flag grs

grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of grs has much to be proud of

The greatest Romanian fighter was Alex D. against LDL at Cali 100k - from 1-5 in decider to 7-5. And our Arielle was injured.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:54 PM   #13
country flag Curcubeu

Alexandra.

The week before RG used to be HER week and now she is out of Top 100, but she has birthday soon.

Yeah, Alexandra barely choked, only from the beginning of this year when she was simply injured and her serve got even shakier because of that, actually she always fought back from being down.
Warsaw 2009 with more than 6 hours already on court during qualifying, always coming back from behind. Then, in 2010 the title defense with all the pressure, her strong fight backs against Errani and Dementieva that clay season, and later in Budapest where she escaped against Chakvetadze and Sevastova, not to mention her clutch performance against Coin in Den Bosch to seal her 1st grass semifinal. She has won so many tough 3 setters.

Even last year those epic matches against Sharapova, Pivovarova and AMG back to back and later against Rus in Seoul saving MPs again and this year in Cali. Oh dear...

I nearly followed all her matches. I hope she'll come back again.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:58 PM   #14
country flag grs

You made me cry
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:04 PM   #15
country flag Curcubeu

She is doing it like her new fave player Simon coming back from some tough knee problems and becoming as good as never before.

It sounds a bit harsh, but from all Romanian players I would trust in Alexandra most to come back from a serious injury, while for Irina-Camelia it would have been over regarding her work ethics.