Mirjana's American 2012 winter/spring swing - Page 42 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 08:44 AM   #616
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future
Re: Mirjana's American 2012 winter/spring swing

Ewww. I do indeed hate to say it but Gallovits comes-across like a total slut. GROSS. But, yeah. I would have loved to have seen Mirjana muscle this creature, if she had managed the pathway. Ugh. I want to wash my hands even after typing the name Gallovits. Article below:

Edina Gallovits-Hall’s run through the Dothan Pro Classic this year is setting up much like her last trip to Dothan did, when she won the tournament in 2010.

Gallovits-Hall, the highest remaining seed in the tournament at No. 2, beat No. 6 Misaki Doi 6-1, 6-3 in the quarterfinals on Friday at Westgate Tennis Center to advance to today’s semifinals.

She will face Julia Cohen, a 6-0, 6-0 winner Friday over qualifier Valeria Solovieva. The other singles semifinal match is Camila Giorgi against Lauren Davis. Giorgi survived a three-set match against Jill Craybas, while Davis defeated fourth-seeded Mirjana Lucic.

Gallovits-Hall, who is from Romania, hasn’t been back to Dothan since 2010, as she rested during last April and later battled injuries to her shoulder and elbow. The injuries sidelined her for four months. She brought a ranking of 96 in the world to Dothan.

“I’m trying to work every day to get a little bit better every day,” Gallovits-Hall said. “The opponents are better and better each round and you never know what tomorrow brings, so I’m just going to go day by day.”

She evened up the score a bit with Doi, who is from Japan. Last year, Doi got the better of Gallovits-Hall at a grass tournament in Birmingham. Dothan’s tournament is played on clay courts.

“She killed me,” Gallovits-Hall said. “She’s a really tough opponent. I played her once before and I lost. I knew I had to go out there and be aggressive. I tried to attack her backhand because that’s her weaker shot.”

This year, Gallovits-Hall had no problems in the first half. Doi, who is ranked No. 122, was down 4-3 in the second set before Gallovits-Hall finally broke serve to win the fifth game and won the match on a beautiful forehand shot at the edge of the court and way out of Doi’s reach.

“I feel like she’s playing well,” said Bryce Hall, Edina’s husband and manager. “She’s hitting the ball probably about 80 percent to where it should be. She’s close.”

Bryce and Edina have been together for eight years, and Bryce said he’s served as her coach for around five of those years, off and on. They got married in November of 2010.

Bryce Hall is Edina’s coach for the week, though. Rob Steckley is her current coach but couldn’t make it to Dothan. The two said it can be challenging to balance a professional and a personal relationship, so Bryce just now serves as her manager.

“As soon as they lose a match, most of the girls are pretty (mad),” Bryce Hall said. “With me being her then-boyfriend, she didn’t want to talk about it after a match (if she lost).”

So it works out better for both, as Bryce Hall handles her sponsorships, clothing deals, travel, among other responsibilities, and Edina Gallovits-Hall trains and plays.

“We try to separate things,” Gallovits-Hall said. “It’s better that way. You don’t want to mix business with pleasure.”

Gallovits-Hall is looking to become the first two-time winner of the Dothan Pro Classic since Milagros Sequera won in 2002 and 2005. She is now two wins away from a championship.

“I had good memories the last time I was here, so I’m going to try to hold on to them and hopefully be here on Sunday,” she said.
mikireturns is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM   #617
country flag jela_dokic

jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light jela_dokic is a glorious beacon of light

What is next for Miki???

Jelena Dokic
Angelique Kerber
Mirjana Lucic

Steffi Graf Lindsay Davenport, Patty Schnyder, kim Clijsters
jela_dokic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 01:54 AM   #618
country flag croat123

croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute croat123 has a reputation beyond repute

estoril q (or md if enough people pull out)
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 12:01 AM   #619
country flag mikireturns

mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future mikireturns has a brilliant future

Mirjana has withdrawn from the Estoril Open (where she was in Qs/ALTS with little chance of getting a bump to the MD) and will instead launch her Euro-clay effort the following week at the 100K+H event in Cagnes-sur-Mer, France, where she is in the MD, and lodged among a field that could be on the receiving-end of some dangerous "Miki-Bombs" if she is well-rested, focused, and on form. Baltacha is top seed in Cagnes-sur-Mer.

I think this is a wise move on Mirjana's part for a number of reasons. GL, Loo-Chitch.
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #620
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

I just read about a young croation player named Donna Kacic? I may have the last name wrong. She is ranked in the low 300's and is 15. She just lost in the final of a 25 k to Olga Puchova. She sounds like a promising player. Hopefully, her father is not a pshyco and she will progress rapidly.
SERVivor is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 06:51 AM   #621
country flag mikireturns

I agree about the next little Croatian prospect. Hopefully she benefits from BAD lessons taught by Mirjana's clan. Still, I do think Mirjana will be remembered for a brave return from NOTHING back into the world's Top 100, and resumed winning efforts at Grand Slam venues, not to mention a slew of brave wins and battles when she could have been written-off.

I get the sense that it is now or never ... No one is talking about her here, except me, and it does seem that her complete disregard for the 2012 Olympics on grass is a sign that she is winding-down this final season with no goals or expectations. Or, if she has any, they are arbitrary.

I think that a couple of wins at the French and Wimbledon would spin her Wheel of Fortune skyward, and spur her onward to attack summer-autumn events ... But this is really it: she is not going to play another year unless she gets some wins in Paris or at Wimbledon.

Does anyone know if she is de facto excluded from the Croatian team, even though she will be the 2nd ranked Croatian player? It seems she has burned her bridges badly, there, and I wonder why, because she could easily have been named to the team, on her fave surface, and it is not as if she has been fighting-off lucrative appearance-$$$ at WTA events for the past few years.

I still believe that Mirjana has a small but serious window of opportunity to break-out and murder a draw at some random event, ... But she hasn't truly broken-through in 2 years of prime opportunity, with the wins at her very fingertips.

I am holding-out for belief that she can get some MD wins at both Paris and Wimby and make a run. Her Grand Slam draws have been horrible up to now.

She has refused q-draws in Estoril and Madrid so she can maybe make a dent at Cagnes-Sur-Mer. Then she will play Strasbourg.

She is being strategic while being realistic. Her ONLY hope, now, is to perform in Paris and at Wimbledon.

If she cannot manage either one, I would expect to see her retire before the US Open. That would be appropriate.

Just assure your direct entry to Wimbledon, Mirjana.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM   #622
ajmo!

ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute ajmo! has a reputation beyond repute

I think she'll give it 2 more years. Comeback was so hard, no sense to retire until she has ranking to enter GS Q-draws.
ajmo! is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #623
country flag mikireturns

I'd love to see her stay around a couple more years, so long as she is enjoying herself and it is satisfying to her. But I don't see her going back to a regular routine of Challengers if her ranking drops.

Plus, I imagine she does want to settle-down and start a family at some point, now she is happily married. Mirjana is a smart and well-spoken lady ... she could have a very lovely professional future beyond tennis, for sure.

It would be great to see her get some MD wins in Paris and Wimby ... wow, just a couple would bump that ranking right up where she wants it and change everything for her. Hope she makes a good effort in Cagnes-sur-Mer and gets back into the Top 100 at the end of next week! A quarterfinal showing could possibly do it, but a semifinal showing (or even more!) would be just the ticket.
Old May 4th, 2012, 01:22 AM   #624
country flag SERVivor

SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold SERVivor is a splendid one to behold

She needs to do well at that challenger next week in case she has trouble defending the QF at Strasbourg. Is she ranked high enough to get directily into Strasbourg? I hope so.
Old May 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM   #625
country flag mikireturns

She is not in the MD at Strasbourg, and it would be nice to see her score a WC for that event, given her quarterfinal showing last year, but don't bet on it; Mirjana does not seem to get wild cards or SEs (If her last name were Oudin, or even Queen-of-All-Tennis-History-Stevenson, she would be up to her ponytail in WCs).

She does need to rack-up some "cushion points" in the coming month. She can get some in Cagnes-sur-Mer, and may just barely squeak into the qualifying at Madrid (4th or 5th ALT for QD, last I looked), and then she will have Rome QD and Strasbourg QD and, lastly Paris MD ... where a win (or two) would be pure salvation. Why shouldn't she get some MD wins at Roland Garros, if the draw gods at last throw the poor girl a bone?

I am more concerned that she secures direct entry at Wimbledon; every ball she hits from now until mid-July is going to be of immense importance. Hope she is super well-practiced, fit, hungry, and ready to fight harder than ever.

A stretch of really focused play in the next two months could be of enormous benefit for her ranking and comeback. Based on the development of her game compared to her 2011 timeline of performances, she ought to perform at least a little bit better than last year. If that holds true in 2012, we'll see Mirjana back in the top 100 (and higher) very soon.

If not ... trouble. Bring a big, focused game to the clay, Lucic. One point at a time. Grit! Grit! Grit!
Old May 4th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #626
country flag SERVivor

I forgot about Rome qualifying. I think Madrid qualifying is going on right now, she bypassed it to play the challenger. So, even if she bombs out in rnd 1 of the 100000k next week, she still has a chance to get some points at Rome before Strasbourg. Just a note, a Cabeza-Candella, who she destroyed a few weeks ago at Charleston qualifying just beat Vera Dushivina today at Madrid so Mirjana's recent form is not too bad.
Old May 4th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #627
country flag mikireturns

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERVivor View Post
I forgot about Rome qualifying. I think Madrid qualifying is going on right now, she bypassed it to play the challenger. So, even if she bombs out in rnd 1 of the 100000k next week, she still has a chance to get some points at Rome before Strasbourg. Just a note, a Cabeza-Candella, who she destroyed a few weeks ago at Charleston qualifying just beat Vera Dushivina today at Madrid so Mirjana's recent form is not too bad.
Yep ... Brain-freeze on my part; I was confusing Madrid with Rome. Hopefully she'll squeeze into Rome's quallies, if needed. Yes, the players she has been beating lately are in-form, and that includes the resurgent Oudin, who won the Virgina 50k and has a good shot at the FO wild card. Also, Minella, Cabeza-Candela are playing very solidly, as you noted. Even Erakovic, a player Mirjana beat at last year's Open, and Vesnina, who was trounced by Mirjana last season, are really doing well. Surely Lucic is seeing these players' efforts and thinking, "Hey, I beat these girls! I can be getting to semifinals and finals, too!"

GL to her ... All she has to do is go out there and make the wins "happen"...