time to hire up a coach? - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #181
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute
Re: time to hire up a coach?

Someone needs both a sports psychologist and a good serve coach to help her save her career as an elite tennis player and that someone is Maria Sharapova. Her losses in the 2011 French Open semifinal to Li Na, 2011 Wimbledon final to Petra Kvitova and the 2011 U.S. Open third round were crushing losses where she just didn't fire partly because Maria is scared of her own serve. She knows her serve problems will do her in and they do. Will that ever change? I doubt it unless Masha gets help. Her effort during matches is commendable as always but Sharapova needs help from outside her circle of friends and team to help her become a grand slam champion again. I would like to see Maria hoist a grand slam singles title again. But that seems to be a long way off even though she made the semi's of the French Open and the Final of Wimbledon this year. Her serve is such a huge hindrance to her game. What a shame. I really don't think Maria can recover from her major double fault issue unless she hires a serve coach. Thomas Hogstedt can stay on as Maria's main coach but Hogstedt like Michael Joyce before him and Maurecio Hadad before him had weak serves as players so how could they really help Maria's serve? Sharapova needs help from a serving expert and it's high time she realized that and actually did something about it. And she most likely needs help from a sports psychologist because of her monumental double fault problem that's hampering if not ruining her once great career. Masha carries fear of her own serve into every big grand slam match she plays and it shows when she serves to try to stay in a set or match. We know what's coming (double faults) and there is really no stopping it. Only Maria can stop it if she gets the help she needs. But bbecause she is so stubborn I doubt she will get the help she needs.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 02:59 AM   #182
Crux Squall

Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future Crux Squall has a brilliant future

Maria is a girl who has strong personality, so If She doesn't want to change something from her game, nobody can
Suicide Tennis
Tipping Rank:#42
PAW Rank:#107
FITD Rank:#188.
Crux Squall is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 06:16 AM   #183
country flag goldlion

goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold goldlion is a splendid one to behold

Her serve problem can't be solved by if there's such a thing called 'serve coach'. Partly is because she's not having a shoulder that she used to serve freely anymore and she has no control over that. Majority is due to the pressure to hold service games in a tight match. Let's face it, she can't serve when it matters most. That's why she's going for her second serve more than she used to now to force something to happen on her service game.

But leave that serve issue aside as I don't think it's gonna change. What I think Hogstedt should work on now is her return game if she really wants to rely on it. Nowadays she's going for too much and her opponents realized that and sometimes they just put the ball in and Maria would commit errors misfiring. She should know when she should/can go for more and when to back off. Many times she said she could have stepped in more but how come she couldn't do that at that time? She needs to construct points more smarter than before. And her forehand, well always her forehand, where is the consistency and reliability?
goldlion is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #184
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by the cat View Post
Someone needs both a sports psychologist and a good serve coach to help her save her career as an elite tennis player and that someone is Maria Sharapova.
Amen. Its nothing embarrassing to seek for help when its needed. A shrink would do wonders for Maria.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #185
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Someone needs both a sports psychologist and a good serve coach to help her save her career as an elite tennis player and that someone is Maria Sharapova. Her losses in the 2011 French Open semifinal to Li Na, 2011 Wimbledon final to Petra Kvitova and the 2011 U.S. Open third round were crushing losses where she just didn't fire partly because Maria is scared of her own serve. She knows her serve problems will do her in and they do. Will that ever change? I doubt it unless Masha gets help. Her effort during matches is commendable as always but Sharapova needs help from outside her circle of friends and team to help her become a grand slam champion again. I would like to see Maria hoist a grand slam singles title again. But that seems to be a long way off even though she made the semi's of the French Open and the Final of Wimbledon this year. Her serve is such a huge hindrance to her game. What a shame. I really don't think Maria can recover from her major double fault issue unless she hires a serve coach. Thomas Hogstedt can stay on as Maria's main coach but Hogstedt like Michael Joyce before him and Maurecio Hadad before him had weak serves as players so how could they really help Maria's serve? Sharapova needs help from a serving expert and it's high time she realized that and actually did something about it. And she most likely needs help from a sports psychologist because of her monumental double fault problem that's hampering if not ruining her once great career. Masha carries fear of her own serve into every big grand slam match she plays and it shows when she serves to try to stay in a set or match. We know what's coming (double faults) and there is really no stopping it. Only Maria can stop it if she gets the help she needs. But bbecause she is so stubborn I doubt she will get the help she needs.

THIS
Rerun is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 10:49 AM   #186
country flag AniaSharapova

AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold AniaSharapova is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Someone needs both a sports psychologist and a good serve coach to help her save her career as an elite tennis player and that someone is Maria Sharapova.
Exactly.
I think her biggest problem is mentality. She can't rely on her serve, in her own serve she's scary and shaky.
She always does double faults in the most important moments of the matches. Like against Li at RG, Petra at Wimbledon or at USO against Flavia.
She needs some sport psychologist who help her get through all this difficult moment during the match.
AniaSharapova is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #187
country flag doomsday

doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute doomsday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Really great post but like you said it's been 2 years now and nothing has changed, she is giving those service games when things are getting tough and she is so stubborn that she continues do so.
If there is no improvement at the beginning of 2012 then I think there never will be.
doomsday is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 03:19 AM   #188
country flag effedcamel

effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future effedcamel has a brilliant future

Part of it is her motion too though...her take back is not as free-flowing anymore and is prone to completely being mis-timed because of the wrist rotation she does. And this might just be me, but it seems like, despite her high ball toss, she actually hits the ball fairly low as it's coming down.
effedcamel is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 04:27 AM   #189
country flag MaitaBaby
fallshortpova

MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of MaitaBaby has much to be proud of

Everyone's an expert.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 07:49 PM   #190
the cat

the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute the cat has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svetlio View Post
Amen. Its nothing embarrassing to seek for help when its needed. A shrink would do wonders for Maria.
Of course it's not embarrassing to seek help from a sports psychologist. But I'm not expecting Maria to get that type of help. I would think her major double fault problem would be more embarrassing than using a sports psyhcologist would be for her. Elena Dementieva played her entire 12 year WTA career with a terrible serve and a huge double fault problem and that took a toll on Elena. She should still be playing but retired last year. She had had enough and who can blame her? Maria can still correct some things with her servve but it's likely the 2011 version of Sharapova is the one we will see for the most part the next couple of years. Masha is still a good player but I can't see her getting to the next level again unless someone helps her with her serve and mental frailty where serving to stay in sets and matches at the grand slams is concerned.. Her opponents believe double faults are coming from Maria in tight spots. Sadly Maria probably believes the same thing. That needs to change if she is to win a nother grand slam singles title and I still want that for her. We all do.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap. - William Bennett

http://cornedbeefhash.files.wordpres...arcelona08.jpg
the cat is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #191
country flag atominside

atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future atominside has a brilliant future

its not only the serve that was off. the groundies were 10 times worst. And maria is not even going after the serve again though she just hitting a 3/4 serve most of the time. Poor placement also.
atominside is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 07:43 AM   #192
country flag Rerun
procrastination

Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute Rerun has a reputation beyond repute

This coach surprised me, at the beginning seemed like he turned Maria in a undefined player but now all the work they are doing seems to be showing up.
The only thing I'm afraid is that these was an indoor tourney and with wind the problems with the serve will (at least partially) restart

we will see, wind seems her biggest challenge anyway
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 07:50 AM   #193
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Maria would have won RG last year if not the gusts of huge wind on center court - simple as that.
If elements are kind to her, she should complete the task this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #194
country flag Rerun
procrastination

the only thing that really surprises me is why such kind of problem? this is not completely shoulder related or not?
but Id tend to be very careful about expectations for Roland Garros, there are still 3-4 players out there that she really struggles with and the score is unpredictable
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:35 AM   #195
country flag womensrights

womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light womensrights is a glorious beacon of light

Its same as last year. She was in LA training for a month with her dad and Cecil Mammit. The longer she stays on the road with Hogstedt or should I say the more time spent with hogstedt the worse she gets. Its easy to see.
womensrights is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote