Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - World Group II...again... - Page 182 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2716
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Back into World Group! Going for that 2013 title!

Christina takes down Svitolina 7-5 6-3. Another 5-0 victory seems likely.

World Group Play-Off

USA def. Ukraine 4-0
R1: Christina McHale (USA) def. Lesia Tsurenko (UKR) 6-1 4-6 6-3
R2: Serena Williams (USA) def. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 6-2 6-1
R3: Serena Williams (USA) def. Lesia Tsurenko (UKR) 6-3 6-2
R4: Christina McHale (USA) def. Elina Svitolina (UKR) 7-5 6-3

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 22nd, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
Uranium is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM   #2717
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute Uranium has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - Back into World Group! Going for that 2013 title!

Liezel/Sloane won. Were down 2-0 in the first, but from then on they got it together and won 6-4 6-1.

World Group Play-Off

USA def. Ukraine 5-0
R5: Liezel Huber/Sloane Stephens (USA) def. Lyudimyla Kichenok/Nadiya Kichenok (UKR) 6-4 6-1
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2718
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Our girls were 10-0 in Fed Cup this year
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:13 PM   #2719
country flag Srodgers

Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute Srodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Great job ladies!!
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2720
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Serbia won, so USA will be unseeded. Meaning the team will have to play either Russia, Czech Republic, Italy or Serbia.

Serbia - Would be decided by lot.
Czech Republic - Home tie.
Italy - Away tie.
Russia - Away tie.

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:24 PM   #2721
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Draw will come out in around July, so we will find out then our opponents.

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 04:54 PM   #2722
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uranium View Post
Liezel/Sloane won. Were down 2-0 in the first, but from then on they got it together and won 6-4 6-1.

World Group Play-Off

USA def. Ukraine 5-0
R5: Liezel Huber/Sloane Stephens (USA) def. Lyudimyla Kichenok/Nadiya Kichenok (UKR) 6-4 6-1
I'll be anxious to see how they meld together on court when I watch the replay.

Well done Team USA
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM   #2723
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Christina mini-blog
April 22

Our whole team is really excited about making it back to the World Group! Both our ties this year were great and I'm really happy with how they both went. It has been a lot of fun this week, as Fed Cup always is, and I'm so happy that we met our goal.

I have to catch my bus to my flight home now but thanks to everyone for your support!

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2724
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM   #2725
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Serena clinches Fed Cup Playoff for U.S. over Ukraine

KHARKIV, Ukraine – After being relegated to World Group II for 2012, the U.S. Fed Cup Team proved that it belongs in the top level of competition this year, and in convincing fashion.

After a 5-0 sweep over Belarus in a World Group II tie in February, the U.S. replicated the feat again against Ukraine, winning 5-0 on the road on outdoor red clay in a World Group Playoff to achieve its goal of moving back into the prestigious Fed Cup World Group for 2013 and have a chance to compete for the Fed Cup title.

On the second day of the playoff against Ukraine, Serena Williams defeated Lesia Tsurenko, 6-3, 6-2, to clinch the tie and remain unbeaten in her Fed Cup career. Christina McHale then defeated Elina Svitolina, 7-5, 6-3, in a dead fourth singles rubber to give both Williams and McHale two points each for the weekend in the best-of-five-match series.

World No. 1 doubles player Liezel Huber and Sloane Stephens, playing in her first career Fed Cup match, then defeated Nadiya and Lyudmyla Kichenok in the doubles rubber, 6-4, 6-1, to complete the sweep.

Williams defeated Svitolina, and McHale beat Tsurenko on Day 1 to give the U.S. a commanding 2-0 lead heading into the last day of play.

The U.S. moved down to the World Group II for the first time in its history after falling in the quarterfinals and then a World Group Playoff in 2011, but especially thanks to Williams and McHale, who also had two wins each in the victory over Belarus, it turned out to be a short visit.

With 17 titles, the U.S. is the most successful nation in Fed Cup history and regains its spot in the World Group next year in what will be the 50th anniversary of Fed Cup competition.

"We are so excited," said U.S. Fed Cup Captain Mary Joe Fernandez. "(Returning to the World Group) was our goal this year. It was our first time out of the World Group, and we couldn’t wait to get back. We did a great job of really focusing and getting the job done, so we are thrilled to be back."

Williams was glad she was able to come through for her country and close out the tie.

"I feel really good about it," Williams, now 11-0 in her Fed Cup career, said of clinching. "Now we are back in the World Group where we wanted to be, and it feels really good to get two points."

McHale, the world No. 36, echoed her sentiments and added she could not be happier with how the year went for Team USA.

"I am really happy with how this week went practice-wise and how the matches went. We have a lot of fun, the whole team does. It has been a great week here," she said. "That was our goal – to get back into the World Group. We are all really excited about that. We have had really good ties this year. I am really pleased with how they went."

In her match Sunday, Williams overcame a slow start, after being forced to save a break point in her opening service game and serving an uncharacteristic five double faults, but she never trailed in the match.

She took her first lead in the opening set with a break to go up 3-2 with a powerful return that Tsurenko, the world No. 110, was unable to handle. Tsurenko fought back in the next game, however, earning two break-point chances as the game went to deuce eight times, but Williams fought them all off in a back-and-forth game that featured eight double faults and three aces from Williams, including one to finally win the game to a big yell of "Come on!"

Williams ended the first set with another break and began the second set serving much more consistently. She served for the match at 5-1 but allowed herself to be broken for the first time when Tsurenko hit a return winner. But Williams regrouped to end the match and put the U.S. back in the World Group with a break at love in the following game, smacking a backhand-return winner down the line on the final point.

She was not sure what to expect coming to Ukraine but was glad she made the trip with her teammates to compete for her country. Williams also discovered she has fans everywhere, as the autograph and picture requests kept piling up after each match.

"I absolutely love this team," she said. "I love Liezel. She is just so amazing and so perfect. Christina is awesome, as well, and Sloane and I get along like two peas in a pod. Mary Joe is a young coach. She hasn’t been off tour for too long, so she has so much experience. It is a fabulous opportunity for me. I absolutely love it."

The win closes the 2012 Fed Cup season for the U.S., and for Fernandez, defeating both Belarus and Ukraine in sweeps was just gravy.

"We really take every match individually and attack one match at a time. Everyone starting in Worcester (against Belarus) did a fantastic job, and as captain, I am just really proud of the way they competed," Fernandez said. "They were very focused, and that is not always easy when you are away. They did a great job from start to finish. It was a bonus that we didn’t lose a match this year."
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 02:16 PM   #2726
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

Re: Team USA's Fed Cup Thread - 2013 WG QF vs. Russia, Czech, Italy or Serbia!

We are now the #5 nation, while Czechs are #1. That's what happens when USA couldn't win a damn final, could have also gotten to #1. Slow sink since that 2010 Final.

2013 World Group QF will be against Czech Republic, Serbia, Italy or Russia, as I said earlier.

Draw will be done Wednesday, June 6 at 12:00 local time in Paris.

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 23rd, 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 04:40 PM   #2727
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Go USA!
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2728
country flag Njay16
She's back. Why you mad?

Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't believe I'm saying this these days, but let's pray we draw Russia.
Njay16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM   #2729
country flag Uranium
Dubai Love

So glad you are posting today...I won't say again because you'll be gone for a week after today.

Czech Republic I feel is the best draw. It will be a home tie where we can shove it in a nice and humid outdoor place for Petra. Make Ms. Asthma feel right at home. Venus and Serena admit they prefer home ties, so we could have them play.

Russia would be away on Indoor Red Clay...which without a Williams Sister would be very tough.

Italy would also be away on clay, but slightly doable. Depends who is playing. Fran may retire by then, Flavia said her goal was to make it to 2012 Olympics so she may retire too. Sara and Roberta are beatable. So this one depends on what happens in the next year. Form for Fran and Flavia could turn around. But if things now stay the same, Italy would be a good draw.

Serbia is a toss up on location. But if a home tie? Grass. Put that shit on grass...but we all know USTA won't They'll put it on the neutral surface of hardcourts. This also depends on form.

All of them except Czech depend on the form of the top players. Russia, Italy, and Serbia could all have their players turn their form around. But I'd say Czech is the best, followed by Italy, Serbia, and Russia. If Venus and Serena don't play, then Beth, Vania, Christina, and Liezel would step up. That team of girls I feel could beat the Czechs at home, Italy, and Serbia at home. Russia they would have no chance and Serbia away they would have no chance.

Last edited by Uranium : Apr 23rd, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 12:51 AM   #2730
country flag Njay16
She's back. Why you mad?

Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute Njay16 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. I'll do better, I promise.

You make a really good point aboput making the tie outdoors. It baffles me why the USTA NEVER does grass courts. If I had one WS on the team, grass would be the surface. End of story. No questions asked. I just really think Russia would be the best choice IMO. Italy is very wishy washy these days, but Fran/Flavia are always subject to GOAT mode in FC, regardless of how their season is going.

I would rather have Russia, Czech Republic, Serbia, Italy in that order.
Njay16 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote