Fed Cup 2012 - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Apr 10th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #181
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fed Cup 2012

The "good" news is that, as a team, they go in as clear underdogs, so can play with nothing to lose. That should help Jarka in particular, and if she can relax a bit you never know what she might pull off. The bad news is that, as world # 5, Sam can't claim to be the underdog in her matches, even though she lost her most recent matches against Sabine and Julia. She'll be under a lot of pressure, especially since she knows that if she loses just 1 of her singles matches the team's chances will be as good as shot to pieces. Hope she's up to it
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 11th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #182

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Sabine is unavailable for the Stuttgart tie due to her injury. Sad for her, I hope she recovers quickly. I don't think it necessarily makes things any easier for our girls, except that they now know that it's more or less a sure thing that Julia and Angie will play singles, and so can start preparing for that.
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #183
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

So Lisicki is out but do we know if Petkovic is too yet?? I dont think its confirmed.
They still got Goerges, Kerber, Barthel & Barrois. I'm starting to feel more confident, not sure how some of these local girls will cope with the pressure of the home crowd!
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #184

I'm not too worried about Petkovic. Even if she's in the team I can't imagine she will play without any match practice when they have two other top 20 players and the #37 at their disposal, all of them in great form. Still, if the German threads are anything to go by the German fans are a bit nervous about this tie, so hopefully the German players will be as well.

Update: I just realized that Julia and Angie have a collective singles W-L of 3-7

Last edited by stromatolite : Apr 11th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #185
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUSBOY View Post
So Lisicki is out but do we know if Petkovic is too yet?? I dont think its confirmed.
They still got Goerges, Kerber, Barthel & Barrois. I'm starting to feel more confident, not sure how some of these local girls will cope with the pressure of the home crowd!
Totally agree. This is a big tie for them with their new status as a power in women's tennis and the German crowd will have pretty high expectations. Remember their team used to be Huber and Graf

The German gals have not had sustained period of success unlike Sam. Kerber, Barthel and even Goerges have only played higher level tennis within the last year. Now its the time for them to be the hunted and have the pressure and without that experience of constantly backing up each week in a pressure environment may count against them!
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 01:15 PM   #186
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently A-Rod tweeted that she was disappointed not to be picked. So she must have been available to play.

I think it's a shithouse decision that she's been overlooked.
Old Apr 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM   #187
country flag Daniel.

Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of Daniel. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Apparently A-Rod tweeted that she was disappointed not to be picked. So she must have been available to play.

I think it's a shithouse decision that she's been overlooked.
Yes. I hope we all don't have to suffer the consequences again for Taylor's bad judgement. Lets stay positive though. Sam is in good form and lets look at Jarka as 'due for a big win'. We can do it guys!
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #188
AUSBOY

AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future AUSBOY has a brilliant future

Yeah ridiculous A-Rod is left out. Olivia has done nothing to warrant selection in such a crucial tie over A-Rod, when A-Rod has already won a WTA doubles title and had some good wins this year. All Olivia has done is beat an out of form Arvidsson.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spor...-1226325281873

So German team is Petkovic, Goerges, Kerber and Barrois. Petkovic will be rusty, Goerges isn't performing so well and is clearly feeling the pressure this year. Kerber on the other hand has been playing fantastically. Kerber vs Stosur will be the key. If Stosur can win this, then Australia has a chance as Stosur should beat Petkovic or Goerges. Hopefully Jarka can play a great match and sneak a win, she has the big game to be able to do so if she can just keep her error count down.
AUSBOY is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 03:33 AM   #189
country flag petey_pan
Aussie Cockatoo

petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute petey_pan has a reputation beyond repute

I have a terrible feeling it's going to come down to the doubles.... which I'd favour us to win with Rodionova

Maria SHARAPOVA Eugenie BOUCHARD Laura ROBSON Anastasia PAVLYUCHENKOVA Heather WATSON
Casey DELLACQUA Jarmila GAJDOSOVA Taylor TOWNSEND Naomi BROADY Madison KEYS Sam STOSUR
petey_pan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 06:12 AM   #190

I think people (including Anastasia) need to give Dave and Nicole a bit more credit than they currently are for being professionals who take these selection decisions very seriously. It's important to look at the context to make sense of the Aussie line-up for this tie. Sam and Casey have been playing together this year, presumably with an eye on an Olympic medal. After a terrible start they did pretty well together at IW. Although Anastasia's current doubles ranking is higher, and she's been playing more lately than Sam and Casey, she's not that good a doubles player to make it obviously worth breaking up that team for this tie. In fact, over their whole careers, Sam and Casey are both more impressive doubles players than she is.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #191
country flag Territory

Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute Territory has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I think people (including Anastasia) need to give Dave and Nicole a bit more credit than they currently are for being professionals who take these selection decisions very seriously. It's important to look at the context to make sense of the Aussie line-up for this tie. Sam and Casey have been playing together this year, presumably with an eye on an Olympic medal. After a terrible start they did pretty well together at IW. Although Anastasia's current doubles ranking is higher, and she's been playing more lately than Sam and Casey, she's not that good a doubles player to make it obviously worth breaking up that team for this tie. In fact, over their whole careers, Sam and Casey are both more impressive doubles players than she is.
No-one's questioning whether Sam or Casey should be in the team. What I and others are saying is that out of Liv and Nastya, Nastya has a lot more to offer and should have been included. Nastya is our #3 in singles and #1 in doubles. Liv is our #5 in singles (just) and #12 in doubles. I know rankings are just one measure, but it's one of many that can be applied that demonstrate that Nastya is a much better choice...
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
No-one's questioning whether Sam or Casey should be in the team. What I and others are saying is that out of Liv and Nastya, Nastya has a lot more to offer and should have been included. Nastya is our #3 in singles and #1 in doubles. Liv is our #5 in singles (just) and #12 in doubles. I know rankings are just one measure, but it's one of many that can be applied that demonstrate that Nastya is a much better choice...
I know the arguments for including Nastya, all I'm saying is that there are other arguments, and that when all's said and done nobody except Sam and (maybe) Jarka have any definite claim to be included. The main arguments for including Nastya (that she's a better player in both singles and doubles than Liv) lose a lot of their impact if you don't expect her to play a live rubber. In that case I can imagine that the selectors decided to give Liv the nod. With three of our top players nearing their 30s she's likely to be a key player in the not-too-distant future, so it's not a bad idea to start to ease her into the team already.
Old Apr 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #193
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_pan View Post
I have a terrible feeling it's going to come down to the doubles.... which I'd favour us to win with Rodionova
This.

I'm just glad we're not outright favourites. We usually lose badly when that's the case..
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #194
country flag Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future Invisible Fan has a brilliant future

Fox Sports is showing Highlights of day 1 and day 2 live according to my tv guide.

All time favourite: Anna Chakvetadze

Will my weakness for an hour, make me suffer for a life time?
Invisible Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #195
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I know the arguments for including Nastya, all I'm saying is that there are other arguments, and that when all's said and done nobody except Sam and (maybe) Jarka have any definite claim to be included. The main arguments for including Nastya (that she's a better player in both singles and doubles than Liv) lose a lot of their impact if you don't expect her to play a live rubber. In that case I can imagine that the selectors decided to give Liv the nod. With three of our top players nearing their 30s she's likely to be a key player in the not-too-distant future, so it's not a bad idea to start to ease her into the team already.
I agree. The reality is that Australia has quite a 'flaky' list of players too choose from and the sooner they get some time and matches into some young (but worthy) players the better off we'll be in team competitions in the next couple of years. Nastya, wouldve been handy, but she's not the difference between us winning and losing. Jarmila Gadjosova step forward!