Aus Championships since 1990 - Page 15 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Mar 19th, 2012, 07:00 AM   #211
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aus Championships since 1990

Yep, NID

Oh well, louloubelle I'm happy to help with the organisation of the Legends game. My only issue is that my knowledge of players pre early 80s is quite shit.

Players who have been top 20 (or GS winners) in Open era that come to mind are:
*Margaret Court
*Evonne Goolagong-Cawley
*Kerry Melville-Reid
*Christine O'Neill (she has an AO victory in 78 despite quite a low rank)
*Helen Gourlay/Cawley (no idea what her rank was but she made 2 GS finals in the 70s - RG in 71 and AO in 77)
*Lesley Hunt (won multiple GS juniors and according to wikipedia she was seeded 8 in the '74 US Open - pre-computer rank era)
*Diane Fromholtz/Balestrat
*Wendy Turnbull
*Hana Mandlikova (OK very dubious Aussie, but she had a couple top 20 finishes as an Aussie!)
*Jelena Dokic
*Alicia Molik
*Samantha Stosur

*I haven't included someone like Lesley Bowrey as all her Slams/finals came pre Open era, but if people want her in (she is the same age as Court), she can come in as a special exempt player.

Other noteable players that didn't go top 20 but came close (top 30/40):

*Nicole Provis/Bradtke
*Anne Minter (would LOVE a grudge match with her and Hana )
*Jarmila Gajdosova
*Rachel McQuillan
*Elizabeth Smylie
*Nicole Pratt
*Casey Dellacqua

Obviously my list is not definitive, and I've probably missed a few, but it's a start? Any to add? Keep the criteria at top 20? top 30? Notable GS results?

It would be nice to have this tournament as more of an elite one. So maybe cap it at 16 players Up to majority vote though.

Last edited by TS : Mar 19th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Mar 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM   #212
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

Looks to be a good list to me! If there's the interest then let's go for it!

My suggestion - How about a draw of 20... therefore the top 20 in the open era and automatic entry must be a top 20 ranking (or in O'Neils case a slam win ). It gives us 4 quallie matches to include those on the cusp like Provis, Minter etc....

Judy Dalton was one of those, like Turner that had a career that carried from amatuer to professional - but still had good results into the early 70's so she would be included. Karen Krantzcke was a good player in the 70's, top 10 in 1970. Unfoertunately her career was cut short by a heart attack when she was 31.

Liz Smylie, was top 20 in 1987 too so would get automatic entry.

If you were to seed or rank the gals... my list would look like:

1. Margaret Court
2. Evonne Goolagong-Cawley
3. Kerry Melville-Reid
4. Samantha Stosur
5. Wendy Turnbull
6. Dianne Fromholtz/Balestrat
After this top 6 the rankings are alot more difficult.
7. Judy Tegart-Dalton - probably played her best tennis in the amatuer era, however was a Wimbledon semi finalist at the age of 33 and played into her 40's.
8. Helen Gourlay/Cawley - took advantage of some weaker draws to get to her slam finals but didn't figure prominently in the slams with stronger competition.
9. Lesley Turner - her best was beyond her after amatuer tennis but was still reacbed a SF in France and a QF at Wimbledon.
10. Karen Krantzcke - top 10 in 1969/70, unfortunately diabetes curtailed her career for 18 months.
11. Lesley Hunt - was a consistent performer in the Slims tournaments, just never had a great slam performance outside of the Australian.
12. Alicia Molik - like Krantzcke, wouldve been ranked higher if she wasn't stopped by injury.
13. Christine O'Neil - never troubled any of the top players and never ranked in the top 20 but she won a slam!
14. Hana Mandlikova - became an Aussie in 1988 and played until 1990. She had one top 20 finish with a QF and a 4R at the Aussie Open & Wimbledon during that time.
15. Elizabeth Smylie - ranked 20 in 1987.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
Top 30

*Nicole Provis/Bradtke
*Anne Minter
*Dokic - highest ranked finish as an Aussie was 24. Was a slam semi finalist as an Aussie.
*Jarmila Gajdosova
*Rachel McQuillan

Rounds out the top 20.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:59 AM   #213
country flag TS

TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute TS has a reputation beyond repute

Did Liz make top 20? I thought her career high was mid 30s.

OK that looks like a great list. How would a 20 draw work though? Top 12 automatic and 13-20 fight off for the last 4 spots to make it a 16? I think we should do this. I'm pretty sure there'd be enough interest on here

A Dokic v Turner-Bowrey match would be great
TS is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2012, 11:11 AM   #214
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

^^ Yes I was thinking the same thing, 13-20 fight it out for the top 16.

Liz had a great start to the year in 1987, reaching the AO quarters beating Sukova and really played well enough to beat Kodhe-Kilsch in the quarters and then won a Virginia Slims tournie soon after. That got her to no. 20.

How does the draw get done usually... at random?? Or can we manipulate it a bit.... i.e. Turner vs Dokic, McQuillan and Bradtke would be good too!!!