Bethanie Mattek - Page 13 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jul 5th, 2008, 06:26 PM   #181
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Bethanie Mattek

When is beth playing next?

GG ♥ Sunny ♥ Taeyeon ♥ Hyoyeon ♥ Jessica ♥ Tiffany ♥ Yuri ♥ Yoona ♥ Seohyun ♥ Sooyoung ♥ SNSD
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jul 6th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #182
country flag CrossCourt~Rally

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
When is beth playing next?
I'm pretty sure her next tourney is Stanford in a couple weeks.
CrossCourt~Rally is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #183
country flag Willam

Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute Willam has a reputation beyond repute

Not in the entry list.

Her next tournament seems to be Montréal.

GG ♥ Sunny ♥ Taeyeon ♥ Hyoyeon ♥ Jessica ♥ Tiffany ♥ Yuri ♥ Yoona ♥ Seohyun ♥ Sooyoung ♥ SNSD
Willam is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2008, 10:34 PM   #184

CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute CrossCourt~Rally has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzar View Post
Not in the entry list.

Her next tournament seems to be Montréal.

Thanks...
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 01:42 AM   #185
country flag thebowler

thebowler is an unknown quantity at this point

Bethanie is currently playing for the New York Sportimes in the World Team Tennis League. The league ends on July 23rd unless they make the playoffs. Hopes this helps.
thebowler is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #186
country flag saniapower

saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold

is there anyhing wrong between Bethanie & Sania! why she should not play Stanford & LA! She is in great form.
Old Jul 16th, 2008, 04:41 AM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by saniapower View Post
is there anyhing wrong between Bethanie & Sania! why she should not play Stanford & LA! She is in great form.

I think Beth may recieve a WC for LA .
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 09:25 AM   #188
country flag Cat123

Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of Cat123 has much to be proud of

She deserves it, I hope so!!! Good on her too for sticking to 'less important' commitments she made before her fantastic Wimbledon run. I hope she can carry on making an impact in the top tournaments soon though!
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:37 PM   #189
country flag saniapower

saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold saniapower is a splendid one to behold

nice to see her in LA. she will do well and Sania/Mattek back
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:00 AM   #190
country flag Jess_mk.tg

Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all Jess_mk.tg is a name known to all

what is the next bethanie's tournament??
Jess_mk.tg is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM   #191

Lightbulb Re: Bethanie Mattek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess_mk.tg View Post
what is the next bethanie's tournament??
Beth might play in Germany next week. She is 3 out of the MD and is listed as MDO ( Main Draw Only ). MDO means that she will not play qualis if she can't get into the Main Draw directly.
Old Jan 25th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #192
country flag spiceboy

spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute spiceboy has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fulls...newsid=6625706

The Tennis Week Interview: Bethanie Mattek
By Richard Pagliaro

Bethanie Mattek was a former fugitive from the fashion police at the All England Club when she stepped on court last summer and overwhelmed 2007 finalist Marion Bartoli, 6-4, 6-1, to reach the fourth round for the first time.

Mattek, who generated international headlines for the funky eccentric ensemble she wore on Centre Court vs. Venus Williams in 2006, didn't play for the Rosewater Dish but did receive a life-changing ring at Wimbledon: boyfriend Justin Sands, who had proposed to her prior to the French Open, present her with a 5.5 carat engagement ring at Wimbledon.

"When Wimbledon came, that's when he gave me the rock. He's such a sweet guy," Mattek says of Sands, a former football player, who is president of JPS Insurance. "I was driving from Eastbourne to London and I met him there. Basically we hadn't seen each other in a while and we rented a house in Wimbledon Village. We're carrying our stuff in and when we got upstairs he kind of taps me on my shoulder and hands me a box and says 'I got something for you.' That was the official rock. So that was really cool and very special it happened right there at Wimbledon."

The couple married on Saturday, November 29 in a sunset wedding at Edgewater Beach Resort in Naples, Florida.

The 38th-ranked Mattek — who is the third highest-ranked American woman behind second-ranked Serena Williams and sixth-ranked Venus Williams — skipped the Australian Open this month as she's taken time out from tennis to train, rehab a left hip injury and enjoy married life.

Now living in Phoenix, Mattek is hoping to represent the United States in next month's Fed Cup quarterfinal between the host United States and visiting Argentina, which will be contested on a hard court in Surprise, Arizona — about a 25-minute drive from Mattek's home. If she is selected, it would mark Mattek's Fed Cup debut along with the debut of new U.S. Fed Cup captain Mary Joe Fernandez.

An all-court player, who has fast hands at net, the free-spirited Mattek is a crowd-pleasing presence known to chat with fans after (and sometimes during) matches. She's played doubles with current World No. 1 Jelena Jankovic in the past and produced her finest season in 2008 as she reached her first career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour singles final in Quebec City (falling to Nadia Petrova), was a semifinalist at Birmingham and Los Angeles and scored her first career top-10 win in upending Bartoli.

Tennis Week caught up with Mattek today moments after she completed practice for this interview in which she recounts how Sans proposed to her, discusses the impact marriage has had on her life and career and looks ahead to her return to the Tour.

Tennis Week: Bethanie, congratulations on your marriage, it's exciting news. How did you meet your husband and how did he propose to you?
Bethanie Mattek: We actually have a mutual doctor out in Pennsylvania, which is how we met. Justin was training for football and he had been going to the doctor for five years and I had been going to the same doctor and we just never met. I was going to do some training and my doctor gave me Justin's number and told me to call him when I got to Phoenix. I was hoping he'd be kind of cute before I met him. I was thinking 'If he's hot, then it's a win-win' (laughs). So I went out to Phoenix, we met and he was really cute. At that time we just talked and we were training. Things got serious around the French Open. He actually came over to Paris for the weekend right before the main draw and he proposed to me there, but then he had to leave. It was really cool because I didn't think he was gonna come to Paris, but he surprised me and came. And then he came back when I went to London for Wimbledon. He kind of gave me the official ring there so that's pretty much how the whole thing progressed. I met him last year in October (of 2007) and then come April we started dating and then he gave me the ring at the French Open so it was pretty quick, but I knew he was the one.
Tennis Week: I'm always told Paris is the city of romance is that why he chose to propose in Paris before the French Open?
Bethanie Mattek: Yeah, it was really cool that he did there. You know the funny thing is he's not the biggest romantic in the world. I love him to death. It was actually very emotional that he did it there and it surprised me: that he would come all the way over to Paris on short notice like that and propose.
Tennis Week: Can you take me through the actual proposal? Did he get down on one knee and do it the old fashioned way?
Bethanie Mattek: He's not a big romantic kind of guy so I was impressed he came all the way over. What actually happened was there were two proposals. He got to Paris and went to Tiffany and Co. at the airport and bought two rings — the one he gave me and the matching one he wore — and when he got there he opened the box and said 'Do you like it?' And I was like 'Am I assuming this is it (the proposal)?' And it was understood that it was. So that was the first proposal and I was wearing that ring on my left finger and he was wearing the matching one. Then when Wimbledon came, that's when he gave me the rock. He's such a sweet guy. I was driving from Eastbourne to London and I met him there. Basically we hadn't seen each other in a while and we rented a house in Wimbledon Village. We're carrying our stuff in and when we got upstairs he kind of taps me on my shoulder and hands me a box and says 'I got something for you.' That was the official rock. So that was really cool and very special it happened right there at Wimbledon.
Tennis Week: Bethanie, I don't know your husband, but it sounds like he's the kind of guy who gets up for the majors: proposes at the French Open then again at Wimbledon. He sounds like a major player.
Bethanie Mattek: (laughs). Exactly. Exactly.
Tennis Week: How has your relationship with Justin changed or influenced you? People tend to perceive you as this free spirit; have you noticed any change?
Bethanie Mattek: Honestly, it's been awesome. I feel so much more grounded with him and as an athlete himself he understands me. He trained for college football and he trained for the NFL and was kind of on the cusp of it so he understands the dedication it requires. I think he gets just as excited watching me as if he's playing himself. We work out together and he really helps push me and encourages me through those last sets. It's really been awesome and just an amazing time in my life.
Tennis Week: Tennis players are like gypsies — always on the road traveling — has marriage brought any sense of stability to your life?
Bethanie Mattek: Oh yeah, this is the first time in a while that I've had a home and closet. I have a dog. I know it's unbelievable or it sounds unbelievable. None of my friends believe me when I tell them about how grounded I feel. And in other ways it hasn't changed much because before we got engaged we were really open and honest with each other. So it's not like I change the kind of clothes I wear or anything like that because I'm married. He's just honest about himself and about me and I am too. Honestly, I knew it from the first day I met him that we'd be together. As corny as it sounds, I knew it from the first day we met.
Tennis Week: Where are you living and where will your training base be?

Bethanie Mattek: I'm officially living in Phoenix and that's where I'm gonna train out of too. Right now, I don't have a coach and so whenever I find someone hopefully I can continue to train here. That was the initial reason I came here. There aren't a ton of players out here so I will work that (training) out, but I've got a pretty good set up here, which is great.
Tennis Week: You didn't make the trip to Australia. You had a strong finish to 2008 and I know you had some injury issues, how is your health? When do you plan to return to the Tour?
Bethanie Mattek: I actually feel great. It's really been nice taking the time off from tennis, taking a mental break, getting married and just relaxing. It's been so good for me in terms of giving me perspective. So I'm excited to go back on the Tour and to get in even better shape. I had a bit of a hip injury at the end of last year and I did some rehab and got in better shape and took three months off so I'm feeling great. If I get selected for Fed Cup, I would really like to play Fed Cup for the United States in February.
Tennis Week: Fed Cup is being played in Surprise, Arizona so that's right near you in Phoenix, right?
Bethanie Mattek: Yeah, it's literally 25 minutes away from my house. So I'm really excited if I get picked to play. They officially announce the team on January 26th and I really want to play. If I get picked, I'll have a ton of people watching who have not gotten the chance to see me play live so that's really something I hope happens and something I'm very much looking forward to. I've been watching a lot of tennis on television. I'm watching the Australian Open on TV every day and I feel I've picked up some things and tendencies just watching.
Tennis Week: You've always been an interesting player for me because you're a good volleyer with soft hands, you like to get up to net and at this time in women's tennis, when the game is primarily played from the baseline, that makes you kind of unique. You play a lot of doubles, you work on your transition and net game and watching you last year, especially in the summer, you looked more relaxed to me on court. What have you learned about yourself and your game tactically that you can apply when you come back?
Bethanie Mattek: Definitely another reason I did well last year was my strategy. It's sad to say, but in years past I really didn't have any strategy. I just literally went out there and hit the ball, I don't know, without really any strategy sometimes. Looking back, it was unbelievable I got to the top 100 in the world just doing that: just going out hitting the ball. Last year I had strategy. I could start to tell the signs on where the other players are going with their shots, I started to read the game better. And now, watching a lot more tennis on TV and watching the Australian Open I am starting to see patterns and pick up patterns in how players play. That's what really slowed the game down a bit for me and made me read the game better last year and like you said I like to get up to net and want to continue that. So if I looked more relaxed to you last year maybe it was because I felt I knew what was going on better and I had a plan.
Tennis Week: You've attained your highest singles ranking and you've been a successful doubles player. Will you continue to play doubles full time when you come back? If so, who will you play with?
Bethanie Mattek: My doubles ranking (No. 28) is still higher than my singles ranking (No. 38). I'm losing some points at the Australian Open and yes, I'm going to play doubles. I'm looking for a doubles partner to try to play with regularly, which is tough based on the different schedules. I love playing doubles. For me, doubles is fun and there's a totally different strategy in doubles. So yes, I'm excited to play doubles and while I don't have anyone yet (as a partner) there are a couple of people in the works.
Tennis Week: You've played doubles with Jelena Jankovic and you know her well. Is she ready to break through and win her first major singles title at the Australian Open?
Bethanie Mattek: I think so. I've been watching, she's playing great. She's looking a lot stronger, she gained a lot of muscle mass and I think it's been a goal for her. She got the No. 1 ranking without a Slam title and I know how badly she wants to win one. I think she's ready.
Tennis Week: What is your schedule for your return?
Bethanie Mattek: I actually have signed up for Paris Indoors and that's the one and then if I play Fed Cup I would see how that goes. Depending on that, hopefully I'd go to Dubai and then Indian Wells and Miami — that whole U.S. swing — then off to Europe and I'll do a pretty full European swing before going to the grass.
Tennis Week: In what ways has married life changed your life?
Bethanie Mattek: It's funny between me and Justin it's been the same. We still have fun and still laugh and still do the things we've done. I think what it's done is shown me that there is life outside of tennis. Not that I lost any focus or anything like that, but it's like now that I have that full life outside tennis I feel I can put more into tennis and that makes it almost more fun and gives me a more well-round life. I feel I can get away from tennis and go do other things and then when I come back to tennis I can give 100 percent to it. So it's a great feeling for me. It can be tough as a player because you're always on the road and you have to put so much focus into tennis and I believe I play better when I can turn that off, live the life outside, and come back feeling refreshed and relaxed.
Tennis Week: Okay, I have to ask you about the black wedding dress. I thought that was a cool move and in keeping with the Bethanie Mattek philosophy of wearing non-traditional clothes on court you did it for your wedding. How did that happen?
Bethanie Mattek: It's a funny story. All I knew was I didn't want to wear white. I walked into a bridal store and was looking around and though they had a lot of really nice stuff, it looked all white to me so I walked out and the owner came out after me and said 'Why didn't you try anything on?' I said 'I don't want to wear anything white or ivory or pink.' I was initially going to wear something vibrant or colorful and have a very relaxed wedding with the guys wearing linen pants and have a beach theme. The owner told me 'I've got this evening gown you might like it.' So I tried it on — it was the first dress I tried on — and it was black and fit perfectly and I liked it. So the wedding got a little more formal and the guys had to wear nice pants, but it was really relaxed and fantastic. It's funny because now Justin will often pick out the clothes I wear on court and sometimes he'll say 'You should wear this....'
Tennis Week: I was thinking about you today after Venus lost because with Lindsay retired after the Williams sisters you're the next highest-ranked American. And you would have been close to being seeded in Australia if you had played. As the third-highest ranked American woman do you feel that responsibility to try to represent American tennis and give it a bit of a boost it needs?
Bethanie Mattek: Absolutely. And that's another reason why I want to play Fed Cup and really help the team and the country. We hope we can get the USA back up there on the map and I'm excited about that.
Tennis Week: Bethanie, you sound genuinely very happy and that's great to hear. Really appreciate your time and wish you all the best with your marriage and your return.
Bethanie Mattek: Thanks very much. I really am very happy. I feel great and I'm just really excited about my life.
spiceboy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #193
country flag alwayshingis

alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute alwayshingis has a reputation beyond repute

Such a great interview
alwayshingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #194

Great interview . I really hope she plays Fed Cup next week .
Old Feb 11th, 2012, 12:26 AM   #195
country flag Romina.

Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice Romina. is just really nice

BETHANIE'S 2012 BDAY GIFT:

If someone wants to participate on her bday gift just enter to "Bethanie Mattek-Sands Fan Club" on FB. There you will find all the ways you can help

THANK YOU.
Romina. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote