Is Serena Past Her Peak and Will Never Win a Slam Again? - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: Is Serena Done Winning Majors?

She Is Not The One 30 46.15%
She Will Win More 35 53.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 31st, 2012, 12:42 PM   #31
country flag Singleniacki
~*Princess Karolina*~

Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute Singleniacki has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Serena Past Her Peak and Will Never Win a Slam Again?

I think this is the perfect time to make this thread.

We all know Serena can win another slam, but it is definately up in the air if she will.

Old Jan 31st, 2012, 01:20 PM   #32
country flag tonybotz

tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future tonybotz has a brilliant future

the fire was clearly not in her belly in Australia
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 01:30 PM   #33
country flag donellcarey

donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute donellcarey has a reputation beyond repute

Oh God, again? Seriously?
donellcarey is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM   #34
country flag Chrissie-fan
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute Chrissie-fan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandabou View Post
Her peak is obviously long gone, she's 30 now for christ's sake...but she isn't done yet.
Your life ain't over at thirty. It all depends on how much she still wants it and if she can find something to motivate her. For the last one and a half years or so most people still thought of her as the best player in the world, even though she didn't play much (or at all). But now people are starting to refer to Kvitova and Azarenka as the best players in the world. That may motivate her - the desire to make one last big statement.
Chrissie-fan is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 01:45 PM   #35
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Someone (can't recall who) said recently on one of the many threads on this topic (can't remember which) that the days when Serena can just turn up at a slam and play herself into form are over. I think this pretty much sums it up. If she can have a good run in lead-up events (like she did in the USO series last year) she can still be very nearly unbeatable. If she continues to go AWOL for long periods, she is no longer quite good enough to be a strong contender when the slams come around (although even then she can't be completely ruled out). In short, she needs to start planning her schedule better than she has been doing up till now.

Covering your ass. Can I call 'em or what? Don't worry, if Serena was still playing at 50 people would still be covering their asses by saying, "you can never completely count Serena out" because the minute everybody says that, she'll make them once again look foolish. Look at all the ass covering in this thread and nobody knows who anybody is in real life. But then everybody here knows about thread bumping.

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.

Last edited by HippityHop : Jan 31st, 2012 at 02:00 PM.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:02 PM   #36
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
Covering your ass. Can I call 'em or what? Don't worry, if Serena was still playing at 50 people would still be covering their asses by saying, "you can never completely count Serena out" because the minute everybody says that, she'll make them once again look foolish.
Just giving an honest assessment, if you want to call it covering my ass then be my guest. Even a rusty and struggling Sharapova made the final of the AO, so I'm not going to rule out that a rusty Serena could do the same, and even nab a title, if the draw opened up enough for her. Unlikely, but definitely possible. And a non-rusty Serena would probably be still entitled to be regarded as the favorite for this year's Wimbledon and USO. But the idea that she'll still contend for slams at 50 (or 35 for that matter) is just plain silly. So my ass is exposed: feel free to quote me on this when 50-year-old Serena wins Wimbledon.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM   #37
country flag romismak

romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light romismak is a glorious beacon of light

Hard to tell i think her best chance will be at Wimbledon, but Petra in form is really dangerous and i am not sure if even Serena in form can beat there Petra in form. USO will be open with many top players to have chances, i don´t know most likely Serena will win slam or 2, but i am not convinced, because she can be beaten by some players even if she is playing good so we will see.
romismak is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM   #38
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, Renochka has 2-3 more majors in her, at least.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #39
country flag Kairi

Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute Kairi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie R U OK? View Post
I know this isn't a Venus fan asking if Serena is past her peak??
this
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:27 PM   #40
country flag mistymore

mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of mistymore has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoner View Post
Steffi's last WImbledon match was close. She wasn't badly overpowered. And her retirement came in America after she was badly injured during a pre-US Open warm up. Plus that year she won RG, beating all the top seeds including Lindsay, Monica and others as well as reaching the Wimbledon final beating Venus and a red hot Mirjana.

Serena is probably physically stronger than Steffi so a similar year is no where near out of the question. Petra and Vika can't imagine they will beat her at Wimbledon or even RG, just yet.
Cant imagine Petra beating her at Wimbledon, LOL! For me the reverse is true, I cant imagine Serena winning if they play at Wimbledon. Her only chance would be to serve unbelievably, otherwise she would be hit off the court. I highly doubt she would even reach Petra at Wimbledon though, her now sluggish movement and fitness would be exposed many rounds before that like it was last year.
mistymore is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:45 PM   #41
country flag HippityHop

HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute HippityHop has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Just giving an honest assessment, if you want to call it covering my ass then be my guest. Even a rusty and struggling Sharapova made the final of the AO, so I'm not going to rule out that a rusty Serena could do the same, and even nab a title, if the draw opened up enough for her. Unlikely, but definitely possible. And a non-rusty Serena would probably be still entitled to be regarded as the favorite for this year's Wimbledon and USO. But the idea that she'll still contend for slams at 50 (or 35 for that matter) is just plain silly. So my ass is exposed: feel free to quote me on this when 50-year-old Serena wins Wimbledon.
The point is not that she would win Wimby at 50, but rather that people would still be saying "and of course you can never count Serena out".

The world will ask you who you are, and if you don't know, they will tell you.
HippityHop is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 02:49 PM   #42
country flag Mynarco
INAZUMA

Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute Mynarco has a reputation beyond repute

Past her peak? Yes. Will never win a slam? Hell NO.

Suicide: 08 Montreal 08 Stuttgart 09 USO 11 Eastbourne Stanford 13 Sydney Highest ranked #03
Tennis Tipping: 09 Cincy D 10 Brisbane D Copenhagen SD 11 Palermo D Beijing S 12 Pattaya S Stuttgart Baku D 13 Palermo D 14 Monterrey D(SCHR: 17 DCHR: 10)
Mynarco is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:11 PM   #43
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippityHop View Post
The point is not that she would win Wimby at 50, but rather that people would still be saying "and of course you can never count Serena out".
I won't
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:16 PM   #44
country flag Spring Pools

Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauresmofan View Post
Both Stosur and especially Bartoli probably played their absolute best against Serena. Stosur used her kick serve to great effect and even her backhand wasn't breaking down. I couldn't believe the level of Bartoli in that Wimbledon match, she played ballsy tennis - all risk and all reward. Had she been even a fraction off her game Serena would have turned it around and Serena played pretty damn good considering she hadn't been able to play for almost a year.
Agreed
Cake was playing out of her mind. She was hitting 108 MPH second serves... Although she did have a mini choke that Serena didn't really capitalize on.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:42 PM   #45
country flag The Dawntreader
La Divina Assoluta

The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute The Dawntreader has a reputation beyond repute

She's been passed her peak for years. That doesn't mean she's done winning Slams though.
The Dawntreader is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote