** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 243 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM   #3631
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Haha some smart ass answers it seems. But nice knowing she's broken rackets in practice and that Lindsay is nice LINDS

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 19th, 2012, 07:38 AM   #3632
Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Martha putting illiterate peasants in their place.
Mistress of Evil is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #3633
country flag Reptilia
`

Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute Reptilia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc-spurs View Post
Haha some smart ass answers it seems.
lol i'm guessing those horrible questions were from A Crowd Goes Wild again
Reptilia is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #3634
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

It's fascinating to see Sharapova, whose shots sometimes look as straight as the grim, green flat line on a heart monitor, able to shape that straight shot to create a sharp angle. Another Nick Bollettieri protegee, Monica Seles, was one of the best I've ever seen at driving opponents deep behind the baseline, then bending a sharp-angled crosscourt shot slathered with spin to make the ball dip. Sharapova did exactly that in one backhand exchange today, battering her double-hander deep to put Hampton on the defensive, then firing a flat backhand that nearly skimmed the net as it found the short court. That's one of the dangers Sharapova poses on rhythm: She drives the ball so deep that she forces you on your heels trying to defend, so when she works the width of the court it almost seems unfair to the unfortunate opponent on other end.

http://blogs.tennis.com/racquet_reac...d-hampton.html
18majors is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 19th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3635
country flag lefty24

lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute lefty24 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have a link to that long new york times sugarpova article?
I need it for school.
Thanks!

Edit: Never mind! I found it.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 03:44 AM   #3636
country flag ~MashyOwnThemAll

~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold

M. Sharapova/A. Kerber

6-1 6-2

Q. Pretty good. First three matches, lost five games.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, this one became pretty tough in the second set. She certainly stepped it up, got that break back, got more confidence, started going for her shots.

I never faced her before, but knew she's been on the big stage. Last Grand Slam she did pretty well. She's been on that stage, has beaten good players.

Yeah, I felt like I was aggressive enough. In the first set I didn't give her a chance to do what she likes. In the second set, it became a bit more of a battle. But I felt like I stepped it up when I had to here and there. It ended up being 62, so...

Q. Yesterday Bernard Tomic said during a match there's 15,000 people making noise, he doesn't hear anything during the point. Is that something that comes naturally to you since you were young?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. It's just about playing a lot of matches. There's so many people. Obviously I'm sure not everyone is in the match. Some are talking, some are doing their thing. I think if your concentration is there, you're only there for a certainly amount of time, you're not there for 24 hours. I think your time and commitment has to be on the court, the ball and racquet, what you're doing with it, instead of paying attention to what's around you.

Q. Kim said last night, she hasn't played as much as you, over the last year when she came back on tour after her retirement she pretty much felt like she knew how to play. Once she got back on court she could read things better because she wasn't such a young player anymore, so there was no panic. Do you feel the same way?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: You mean, after not playing for a year?

Q. Even playing sporadically, not having any warmup matches coming in here, hitting the ground running.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I mean, I think you just have to take it as, okay, you go into an event, whether it's a Grand Slam or anywhere else in the world, if you're committed to playing that tournament, you have to be ready from the first match. Sometimes you have to be realistic in terms of knowing that your level might not be exactly where you'd want it to be in the first round and you're going to be a bit rusty.

But ultimately you have enough experience, you certainly played enough matches, it's just about hopefully getting through this one, getting better.

Of course, playing is important. There's nothing that can substitute that, whether it's practice, gym, running, anything. But if you don't have the chance or if you're injured, any time off, when you come back, it's about also being realistic. Sometimes you can't come out and perform your best tennis from the beginning. It's just the way things are.

Q. She also said it's an accumulation, meaning she understands her own game much better. I assume from 2004 Wimbledon till now you have a much better understanding of what you can and can't do.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, absolutely. You know your strengths. You know what's won you matches before, what's won you Grand Slams. You know what's gotten you to the top.

I don't think necessarily all those things, if you repeat them the same way, will maybe get you the same result because everything always changes. You have to adapt to whatever comes your way. I mean, not one day is ever the same, not one match is ever the same. You have some good ones, some disappointing ones.

But, yeah, you stick to what you do best.

Q. Given you haven't played much since October, would you have preferred to have been tested a little bit more than you have done in the first week?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I take it as it comes. You don't know what the score is going to be before the match. If you prepare yourself well enough, you go out there, you play well enough to win with a comfortable scoreline, then I'll take it.

Q. Would you say you're happy with all aspects of your game so far then?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah. You know, like I said, it became a bit more challenging in the second set. She broke back. She certainly stepped it up and played with much more confidence. You could tell she got her groove going in the second. Sometimes when the player kind of picks up and starts going for her shots, sometimes you're going to have to let that ride. Although, if she can do that for three sets or so, then credit to her.

Q. When you get through the end of the first week of a Grand Slam, do you start looking forward to a quarterfinal or semifinal opponent, or pretty much the next game?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, it's pretty much the next match.

Q. Thoughts about your next match?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I've played each before. Svetlana I played in Cincinnati last year. Lisicki I played at Wimbledon.

Both are tough opponents. Both have very different games. Lisicki has a lot of power, big serve. Kuznetsova is more of an allaround player, has won Grand Slams before, has experience, is playing well. Either way it will be a tough match.

Q. Is it possible to enjoy your inbetween days at the slams?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah, I enjoy my afternoon naps (smiling). I love them.

Q. After practice, can you put tennis a little bit behind you and have dinner, shopping, have a little bit of fun?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Not so much shopping. But it's pretty routine. You practice. I usually do 30 minutes of shoulder work and exercises. Go back, take a nap, read my book, watch some tennis, do some treatment, have dinner, go to sleep.

Q. What are you reading?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: George Orwell's 1984.

Q. Very light reading.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: You're telling me. I know, I'm not going to say the gentleman, but the guy that asked me the ridiculous question about the world ending. I was going to say, I really hope I can finish that book by the time the world ends (smiling).

Q. Are you glad he's not here today?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Doesn't really matter to me. One less question, right?

Q. It's a good book. Pretty heavy.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It was never really given to me in my high school years. So decided that this is a good time. I don't know. My trainer actually picked it up for me. I have to be nice and read it. He spent $20 on it, so... Got to be nice. Got to use my gifts. It was either that or the running book by Haruki Murakami, where he wrote about running. I was like, I don't think so. I was like worst thing about running is reading a book about running.
~MashyOwnThemAll is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 04:03 AM   #3637
country flag hobahobaspirit

hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold hobahobaspirit is a splendid one to behold

I don't remember 1984 being a long book, it's like 300 to 400 pages.
hobahobaspirit is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 04:22 AM   #3638
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

That's pretty long (and deep) if you're in Australia playing tennis most of the time

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 10:44 AM   #3639
country flag gc-spurs

gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute gc-spurs has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh more Pova snark.

Bring on all the pretenders. Someday, WE WILL BE REMEMBERED
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliversmith View Post
oudin is a great player she already beat maria i expect to do the same now
btw whos bolivia smith?
gc-spurs is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3640
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobahobaspirit View Post
I don't remember 1984 being a long book, it's like 300 to 400 pages.
Thematically it is very deep though, I really can't believe that's what she's reading at AO but it would definately take your mind off tennis. But page wise it isn't overly long.
Old Jan 21st, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3641
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

Hahaha. All my classmates love 1984. Murakami is great author. She should read him.
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM   #3642
country flag MashaFan01

MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future MashaFan01 has a brilliant future

I just want to share this article with all you Masha fans to give you some encouragement:

Maria Sharapova: Brutal Draw Won't Keep Red-Hot Russian from Aussie Open Title

I found it a good analysis and yes - Masha has some demons to fight IF she's able to enter the QF and IF she'll meet Serena there - The latter hasn't been looking that fit while Masha seems to be health personified - So - if Masha is ever going to beat Serena again - it would be now - I bet that IF Masha can get around Serena - the title will be hers - I know - it's an optimistic opinion - but not that unrealistic

Also - I want to remind y'all that looking back to the AO 2008 - Masha played her best tennis in the QF vs Justine Henin - Maybe history will repeat itself 2012? - I sure hope so
MashaFan01 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3643
country flag Jamrock,20

Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light Jamrock,20 is a glorious beacon of light

I approve and believe in this post! She can do it!
Jamrock,20 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jan 22nd, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3644
country flag jameshazza

jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute jameshazza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaFan01 View Post
I just want to share this article with all you Masha fans to give you some encouragement:

Maria Sharapova: Brutal Draw Won't Keep Red-Hot Russian from Aussie Open Title

I found it a good analysis and yes - Masha has some demons to fight IF she's able to enter the QF and IF she'll meet Serena there - The latter hasn't been looking that fit while Masha seems to be health personified - So - if Masha is ever going to beat Serena again - it would be now - I bet that IF Masha can get around Serena - the title will be hers - I know - it's an optimistic opinion - but not that unrealistic

Also - I want to remind y'all that looking back to the AO 2008 - Masha played her best tennis in the QF vs Justine Henin - Maybe history will repeat itself 2012? - I sure hope so
I've got a good feeling too, it may end in disappointment, but I doubt it'll be a beatdown if she make QF. Masha always plays her best tennis in GS QFs IMO - there's a reason why outside of RG she hasn't lost one. But first Lisicki.
Old Jan 23rd, 2012, 11:20 AM   #3645
country flag ~MashyOwnThemAll

~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold ~MashyOwnThemAll is a splendid one to behold

M. SHARAPOVA/S. Lisicki

3‑6, 6‑2, 6‑3

Q. You're obviously happy to advance in the tournament, but how happy were you with your game tonight?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, the first three games were good, then it went south for a bit, and then I got it together in the second. The third was a battle. No doubt, she played some really good tennis. I think the level was pretty high. You know, she had some opportunities and some breakpoints. You know, I came up with a good couple of second serves, you know, won that game, and felt pretty confident after that.

Yeah, obviously a few ups and down, but really happy to be through and a step further than last year.

Q. What part of her game gave you the most trouble tonight?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, she's a really solid player. She has a big game. Big weapons. Serves really well. You know, started returning well, but that wasn't working for me. Got that back. But, you know, returning's obviously really important against her.

Q. How much do you think your experience counted out there tonight?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: In the match, during the match, you don't really think about it. You're really in the battle. So you don't think about how much experience you have compared to her.

I've been in those situations before many times. It's more about trying to carry the momentum, you know, in the situation, in the match, after winning the second set and hoping to continue that and improving the level, not worrying so much about experience.

Q. Must be hard to get a read on her game because she's slapping at the ball pretty hard the whole time.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Yeah.

Q. Did you think just in the second set to play more rally balls, but in a sense you have to dictate, too, because if you don't she's going to clock a winner from anywhere?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, if you played her strengths, if you give her time, I mean, that's what she really does best: she gets a good strike on the ball and can hit a good winner from, you know, any side of the court. But if she can do that for three hours straight, I mean, at the end of the match you end up losing and that's just too good.

But obviously I was trying to create those opportunities where, you know, maybe she had to go for a little bit more and force the errors out of her.

Q. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but movement‑wise you're looking pretty good out there. You got balls back with something on them.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Thank you.

Q. Just talk about that, because that's not a part of your game that's discussed very often.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, it's a part of my game that I constantly work on, being quick, working on the physical part. It's one of the most important things in the game because it has become a lot more physical and much more demanding on the body. Also in the last few years I'm stronger, I'm able to withstand much longer matches which helps me, and also the recovery. I think that's why my success has been a lot better on the clay.

But, yeah, it's an area that I always try to improve. I'm 6'2" and I think for somebody at that height, I still feel like I can be better.

Q. Did you watch Serena's match today?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I watched the last couple of games. That's it.

Q. Were you happy to see her get out of your path here?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: I thought that Makarova, the few points that I saw, played really solid and well, forced unforced errors from her.

Yeah, but either way, I mean, it doesn't matter. For her to come in and win in straight sets and to play at that level means she's obviously on a pretty big, high note right now confidence‑wise, and that's always dangerous.

Q. How do you approach a match against someone like her?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: You got to concentrate on yourself. You know that you're in a quarterfinals stage of a tournament. It's only going to be tough from here. I mean, the further you get, the tougher it gets.

Obviously it's focusing on what I have to do. I played her a couple of times last year. It was on clay. We haven't played on hard, I don't think. So that will be a different matchup. But another lefty. I think it will help me that I already played against a lefty in this tournament. So, yeah.

Q. You beat her what, Madrid, Rome last year? Madrid was fairly close, but Rome you got her pretty good. Did you see her make a big jump from there to today's tournament?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's tough to say. I didn't get a good chance to see a lot of games. I watched a few points. I usually don't like to watch too much tennis going into a match.

Q. Is it becoming more difficult to make you smile at the press conferences now, to find a way to have a cheerful answer?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Well, maybe you should start asking cheerful questions and I'll have cheerful answers (smiling). You always ask silly ones, so... I know you do. You're Italian.

Q. What do you consider your age is when you look at yourself?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: My what?

Q. Your age.

MARIA SHARAPOVA: My age?

Q. Do you feel yourself you are young or so many years on tennis that maybe you're older than your age? In relationship with what you have done in the tennis...

MARIA SHARAPOVA: The fact is I've been on the tour for many years, so you don't get away from that fact. I mean, I'm fortunate to be sitting in this position and saying that I achieved great success at 17 years old. Obviously maybe if I had achieved it a few years later, I wouldn't feel like I've been on the tour for so long.

But I'm certainly not complaining for that because that will probably be the highest note of my career. But I'm 24 years old, almost 25. I love this sport as much as I loved it, you know, when I was at that age.

Every day I feel like I wake up and I go out, I feel like I can improve, and that makes me feel young.

I feel like I still have a lot of energy and desire. Maybe the year before last I was on a steady line, maybe didn't have that energy and passion, and everything was kind of at a standstill. But I feel like I've regained that energy, yeah.

Q. Why would it be the highest note of your career when you were 17?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: Because I never had expected that that would come to my career. I was so naïve. I mean, I don't think at that point, when I had won Wimbledon, I understood what it meant. I thought it was just an incredible feeling, and it's Wimbledon, but I don't think I actually logically knew what I had done.

And, yeah, I don't know. I mean, you never quite know when your success is going to come. But I think it was just something that happened, the stars aligned for me to achieve that.

I've also been through a lot of tough times. I've also said the success that I can achieve, the fact that I got myself back to being top 5 in the world, playing tennis again, playing at a high level, competing at this level is pretty remarkable from where I was on a surgery table, not knowing if I'd ever be able to hit a serve again.

So just a lot of perspective. If I do achieve, you know, a Grand Slam win, something on that level, there's no doubt that that will be another big moment in my career.

Q. You were asked a question about being cheerful. When you hit a great winner, you do the fist pump, do you feel happy or is it just satisfaction?

MARIA SHARAPOVA: It's interesting. During a match, there's so many emotions. Sometimes I'm sure it's almost like you look angry in a way. In the end of the match it's more happiness and just joy, the fact that you won. I mean, whenever I win, it's more like just a really, really happy feeling.

I don't know. I mean, you work towards winning those types of matches ‑ tough or easy ‑ and it gives you a good satisfaction when that match point ends and you're the champion.

It is for many athletes. But when you're in the moment, I'm very competitive, so when I fist pump, it's more like, All right, I won this but we still have many more to go so I'm not celebrating that much yet.

Last edited by ~MashyOwnThemAll : Jan 23rd, 2012 at 11:27 AM.
~MashyOwnThemAll is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread