What tricks do you use to concentrate more? - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM   #1
country flag Sammo

Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute Sammo has a reputation beyond repute
What tricks do you use to concentrate more?

Mines are trying to eliminate the surroundings of the tennis court from my mind and subsequently focusing on the court, focusing on my footwork and racquethead speed (learnt that from Rennae Stubbs) and thinking of my opponent as some kind of animated mannequin with a particular game style

Yours?

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live."
Sammo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 28th, 2011, 11:02 PM   #2
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What tricks do you use to concentrate more?

I only tend to lose concentration when returning, because I'm not playing at my own rhythm. So I have a couple of things that I do.

I do the same as you with my footwork, especially really concentrating on my weight going forward through the shot - for some reason this helps. I've found thinking about my swing (i.e. racquet speed) has the opposite effect as I second guess myself and either start to under hit or overhit.

It's kind of hard to describe but another thing that sometimes works for me is to get into position for the return before the opponent is ready to serve and just stand still and wait. Jumping up and down or turning my back and walking around, etc. just distracts me. Somehow this makes me feel that things are on my own terms and I have nothing else to do but concentrate on the coming serve.

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean. View Post
I only tend to lose concentration when returning, because I'm not playing at my own rhythm. So I have a couple of things that I do.

I do the same as you with my footwork, especially really concentrating on my weight going forward through the shot - for some reason this helps. I've found thinking about my swing (i.e. racquet speed) has the opposite effect as I second guess myself and either start to under hit or overhit.

It's kind of hard to describe but another thing that sometimes works for me is to get into position for the return before the opponent is ready to serve and just stand still and wait. Jumping up and down or turning my back and walking around, etc. just distracts me. Somehow this makes me feel that things are on my own terms and I have nothing else to do but concentrate on the coming serve.
I agree, I do that too.

Many people adjust their strings, but that hurts my fingers too much after a while.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #4
country flag Sean.
Look who's back!

Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute Sean. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desuetude View Post
I agree, I do that too.

Many people adjust their strings, but that hurts my fingers too much after a while.
Sometimes I don't move AT ALL, until the guy starts his service motion.

Vera Zvonareva * Ana Ivanović * Li Na * Laura Robson ......
Sean. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #5
country flag Lachy
ICE QUEENS.

Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute Lachy has a reputation beyond repute

Walk to back of court, face the fence and adjust my strings And also tap my leg as I'm waiting to return helps me focus
Lachy is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #6
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

I look down at my racket and play with my strings as well

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote