Suicide Tennis | Rules | - Page 9 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 26th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #121
country flag DAVAJ MKirilenko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suicide Tennis | Rules |

Quote:
Originally Posted by the jackal View Post
If we are changing rules (and keeping byes), we could at least change the rule regarding winning the title, in case of tie:

1. The set win-loss differential, followed by the game win-loss differential (instead of no of games lost, which IMO makes no sense - a 6-7 loss is worse than a 0-6 loss? )

2. In case of byes, start considering the games/sets lost from the second round onwards. Else its ridiculously unfair for a person to lose out on the title just cos someone had a first round bye. I say this despite being ranked 4 and hence on the favourable side of the byes rule, cos a first round bye deciding the eventual winner is just contrary to logic, IMO

Your first point is indeed also my point of view and I also gave it as suggestion before. This rule will be added as well.

We have bye's so the seeded players don't have to send for day 1. Then they also get 0 sets and 0 games loss. If they have to pick for day 1 to make it count for a TB, then you always have seeded players who forget to pick. Also, it rarely happens that a seeded player wins because of the bye.
Ok, it's an advantage but only for a TB. For the points it doesn't matter anyway.

Quote:
And a rule question (I asked this before too, but did not get a reply, so am asking again):

OOP (first round): A vs B, C vs D .

I pick A, back up C.
B withdraws and is replaced by LL.
Since I had picked A, will my result be decided by the A vs LL match? Or is it that since B withdrew my back up pick will be used regardless of the A vs LL match, and my result decided by the C vs D match?

Thank you.
If a player withdraws, the match will be cancelled and your backup will count.

1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #122
country flag Wedgie619

Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of

Quote:
If we are changing rules (and keeping byes), we could at least change the rule regarding winning the title, in case of tie:

1. The set win-loss differential, followed by the game win-loss differential (instead of no of games lost, which IMO makes no sense - a 6-7 loss is worse than a 0-6 loss? )

2. In case of byes, start considering the games/sets lost from the second round onwards. Else its ridiculously unfair for a person to lose out on the title just cos someone had a first round bye. I say this despite being ranked 4 and hence on the favourable side of the byes rule, cos a first round bye deciding the eventual winner is just contrary to logic, IMO
I am all for the differential rule being applied... and was in the same position as you before (i think ranked 5)...
However this the advantages those without the BYE, as for them to be in contention for the title they would have had to have a successful Day 1 pick as as suck will always have a slightly better win-loss differential in terms of sets...

The only way to eliminate an advantage all together for both seeds and non seeds are to count from Day 2 onwards... which I can see working but some might find that difficult to comprehend...
Semi/Quarter Finalist: YEC (09), Linz (07)/ Australian Open (09), Wimbledon (09)
Wedgie619 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #123
country flag Wedgie619

Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of Wedgie619 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVAJ MKirilenko View Post
Your first point is indeed also my point of view and I also gave it as suggestion before. This rule will be added as well.

We have bye's so the seeded players don't have to send for day 1. Then they also get 0 sets and 0 games loss. If they have to pick for day 1 to make it count for a TB, then you always have seeded players who forget to pick. Also, it rarely happens that a seeded player wins because of the bye.
Ok, it's an advantage but only for a TB. For the points it doesn't matter anyway.
I think though that after say the first half of the year in which we can gradually implement the rule that even seeded players MUST choose on Day 1... all players will eventually become used to the rule and start following this...

I mean we could only try it out right??? Coz this would be the farest way to decide...
Semi/Quarter Finalist: YEC (09), Linz (07)/ Australian Open (09), Wimbledon (09)
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 09:16 PM   #124
country flag the jackal

the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

Agreed it doesnt affect the points, but there is a great sense of achievement in winning a title!
I know that I at least would have been mighty pissed if i had lost out on a title just cos someone else had a bye in the first round , so I presume others will be as well. If it can be replaced by a better rule, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgie619 View Post

The only way to eliminate an advantage all together for both seeds and non seeds are to count from Day 2 onwards... which I can see working but some might find that difficult to comprehend...
That is exactly what I was suggesting...leave out the first round for TB purposes.

Quote:
I think though that after say the first half of the year in which we can gradually implement the rule that even seeded players MUST choose on Day 1... all players will eventually become used to the rule and start following this...

I mean we could only try it out right??? Coz this would be the farest way to decide...
I agree, if this can be implemented, it will be the fairest way to decide.
the jackal is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #125
country flag the jackal

the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light the jackal is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Changing only this rule and not the other could lead to a backlash from other seeded players...cos now the TB rule will work against the seeds
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 05:18 AM   #126
country flag the jackal

So what are the final changes to the rules for 2012?
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #127
country flag Wedgie619

I think we can/should make it a rule in that everyone must pick a Day 1 Match to be in... (I mean everyone even the seeds used to post "in" or "i should have a bye for day 1"- something along those lines)...

I mean even say for the first 2/3 months we only ask thay everyone post a pick for day one and if they dont then just send the a message saying next time you must... and say my Indian Wells/Miami that if they dont post a day one pick... they still recieve their bye (by picking on day 2) but cannot win the title if they make it to the end...
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 07:53 AM   #128
country flag the jackal

Quote:
I think we can/should make it a rule in that everyone must pick a Day 1 Match to be in... (I mean everyone even the seeds used to post "in" or "i should have a bye for day 1"- something along those lines)...

I mean even say for the first 2/3 months we only ask thay everyone post a pick for day one and if they dont then just send the a message saying next time you must... and say my Indian Wells/Miami that if they dont post a day one pick... they still recieve their bye (by picking on day 2) but cannot win the title if they make it to the end...
I agree
(Though perhaps instead of saying 'they cannot win the title' , maybe they get a 0 game differential for round 1 if they dont pick, which will put them at a comparative disadvantage, but not put them out of contention all together).
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #129
country flag Wedgie619

Quote:
I agree
(Though perhaps instead of saying 'they cannot win the title' , maybe they get a 0 game differential for round 1 if they dont pick, which will put them at a comparative disadvantage, but not put them out of contention all together).
ok I probably didnt really think the whole 'cannot win the title' thing out properly but making them have a 0 games differental does sound like a very happy median...
Old Dec 30th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #130
country flag purtov

purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of purtov has much to be proud of

Wedgie619, the jackal, whether it seems, what it is insignificant variation of rules?
You agree so that seeded player had the big advantage, it does not do pick in the first round.
But look for a way to deprive with its additional small advantage, complicating rules.

Not variations. If want validity, cancel Bye.
purtov is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:09 PM   #131
country flag Wedgie619

OK im going to write everything I think on the BYE matter in one post so my idea is easy to follow...

1. I agree with the rule that there should be BYEs (or something akin to it) in the premier tournaments...

2. I think that, in terms of a way to decide the winner of a tournament, the BYE has a too big of an advantage for the seeds...

3. To counteract this I propose that ALL SEEDED (and therefore people recieving a BYE) MUST PICK ON DAY 1. If their Day 1 pick loses, they continue on in the tournament, but are unable to win the title if made the final day. If their pick wins, then they continue to play Suicide Tennis as per every other player...

****My only question then would be: Would the Seed be alowed to 'repick' those they did on day 1?
I only ask this because if they can, then on Day 1 they could pick a heavy favourite to win the tournament (say Serena) without the remifications of not having to be able to pick her in the later rounds... Whereas if they could NOT 'repick' their Day 1 pick, then they would be playing the whole tournament (almost) EXACTLY like everyone else with the only benifit being if their Day 1 pick loses, they are still in the tournament...

I personally like the idea that they CANNOT 'repick' their Day 1 pick again...
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 08:13 PM   #132
country flag Wedgie619

Oh and just to add that thsi SHOULDNT be a hard rule to implement (whatever the change - if their is one - to the rule) because a Seeded player in Brisbane, PMed me after he didn't post Day 1 picks, saying that they would from now on as per the purposed change in rules...
Old Jan 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #133
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

I have little to say except that I agree with Wedgie above.

Oh and to declare conflict of interest I'm ranked 31st so I probably would never get a bye.
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson| Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Schoofs
Håkon is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #134
country flag DAVAJ MKirilenko
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute DAVAJ MKirilenko has a reputation beyond repute

The first pick for seeds only count to see who's the winner of the tournament. So yes, they can repick the player. I also don't think it's such an advantage that they can pick Serena or Clijsters at day 1. It doesn't say they have easy wins and maybe they don't even play. If the player even loses at day 1 then it's unlikely they will win the tournament cause you lost already 2 sets (except for retirement).

1. Ana Ivanovic

2. Maria Kirilenko
3. Anastasija Sevastova
DAVAJ MKirilenko is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #135
country flag Wedgie619

So is this now an official rule... That ALL player must choose a day 1 match (with the seeds being able to repick their day 1 player???

And what if the seed doesnt pick??? do they recieve a 6/0 6/0 loss???