Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 122 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 23rd, 2011, 08:50 PM   #1816
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTN View Post
...her forehand became a much better rallying shot later in her career and she started moving the ball around better. I feel that 1994 may have been one of the biggest turning points in her career. At that time, she lost every tough match she had against ASV and got blown off the court twice by Mary Pierce. Her resolve in tough matches against difficult opponents and her ability to rebound against people who were hitting exceedingly hard off both wings were put into question. But maybe her back problems that nearly ended her career provided some perspective. All of a sudden, in 1995, ASV couldn't beat her anymore after that, even in very tough matches (Wimbledon, French Open). Maybe her experiences playing Pierce helped her develop an ability to hang in there when her opponent seemed to be blowing her away...
I agree with most of what you shared, however, it must be noted that prior to Seles, Graf's only rival was Navratilova, who attacked from the net, not with power baseline shots. Graf learned to play tennis with a standard size frame, whereas Seles, ASV, Pierce and Davenport et. al. used snowshoes, making hitting ping-pong bazooka winners from the baseline second hand. Steffi had to learn to be more defensive, a style which up until then was pretty much foreign to her. Throw serious back problems and knee surgery (not to mention almost a year off the tour), and it's remarkable she came back at all.
Advertisement

Old Nov 24th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #1817
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

I agree about how Graf had to adjust to other big-hitters and learned how to be more flexible about her game. I have to disagree, though, about Martina being her "only rival": she was the player to dethrone, of course, and gave Steffi, tough matches (US Open 89 for instance) but since she beat Graf at the US Open 87, they played only four matches but still she had to wait four years until she beat her again at Flushing Meadows in 1991. In truth, in her prime and until Seles became a dominant player since 1990, Steffi only lost once to Shriver (she was not at her best physically, but she finally lost), once to ASV and 3 times to Sabatini, who was almost the only player to give Graf a tough match or take at least a set from her during the German's first period of dominance between 1988 and 1990.
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #1818
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
I agree about how Graf had to adjust to other big-hitters and learned how to be more flexible about her game. I have to disagree, though, about Martina being her "only rival": she was the player to dethrone, of course, and gave Steffi, tough matches (US Open 89 for instance) but since she beat Graf at the US Open 87, they played only four matches but still she had to wait four years until she beat her again at Flushing Meadows in 1991. In truth, in her prime and until Seles became a dominant player since 1990, Steffi only lost once to Shriver (she was not at her best physically, but she finally lost), once to ASV and 3 times to Sabatini, who was almost the only player to give Graf a tough match or take at least a set from her during the German's first period of dominance between 1988 and 1990.
Not to be disagreeable or denigrate your post, but I submit the possibility of something more to their doubles partnership than met the eye might have had something to do with the few losses. She still dominated everyone from the baseline, and even though she ended up 9-9 with Martina, it's not a far stretch to say the head to head would've been much different had they played more often, and yes, I still maintain this was by design. Ah, but that's all conjecture and cannot possibly be proven, so let's do the right thing and not guess any more- what happened happened. Point is, back then there was nobody who made Steffi change her game. Why change a winning formula?
Old Nov 28th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #1819
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabybackhand View Post
I think alike, I guess you can say that Graf played with some "detachment" in her shots in her finals years, and I had that same sensation about other greats in the last part of their careers, when they seem to master their "art" with such ease that they could do some things "with eyes closed" and you just enjoy their calmness when doing smth so difficult, making it look so easy.
Great to "talk" to you both, Alfa and WarriorR
Thanks, it's great to have these conversations again with you all. Glad you guys understand what I mean, it's just like a singer who has been singing a song for 20 years, I loved watching the Graf strokes in the final years of her career, even in 1997 when she had so many difficulties with her knees and all, her strokes, her serve were so much more beautiful than in the 80s and mid 90s.
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1820
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

I think Graf's slice backhand became more of a weapon around 1994-95 after she'd worked with Heinz Gunthardt for a couple of years. She was able to keep it low and out of the hitting zone of her opponents thereby forcing them to often hit awkward, defensive shots. In some ways her loss in basic foot speed due to various injuries resulted in her defensive game getting better because she had to work the point to set up her forehand. In the latter half of her career, she became sort of like the baseline version of an attacking player. Instead of constructing a point with groundstrokes and approach shots to set up a winning volley at the net, she used roughly the same strategy to open up the court for her forehand. I remember discussing this with someone a few years ago and we agreed that Graf, in some ways, could play confidently because she knew that around 90% (if not more) of her opponents' shots were going to go to her backhand. At that level of the sport, it's a true luxury to be able to remove the element of surprise from one's opponent's game that regularly.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #1821
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Have you read about this one :

http://www.bild.de/sport/mehr-sport/...0762.bild.html

To sum up, she accuses Steffi of having deliberately lost a match, the double olympics SF, for them (so her = Kohde-Kilsch) not to win a gold medal, because Steffi's dad didn't wanted her (Kohde-Kilsch) to have gold...
First, I think it's ridiculous.
But god, the womand doesn't even look at her own performance. Says something like that 23years after. And says it on an interview, not face to face.
Poor woman.
I remember reading a long itw from her, published in 1985, or 86, you just can feel how she already felt pissed by the celebrity of boris becker, who became a star and not her and her new national rival...
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #1822
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Do you think anyone would have cared about her bankruptcy statement if Steffi's name wasn't there ???
Pathetic and easy way of getting attention.
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #1823
country flag irma

irma has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Have you read about this one :

http://www.bild.de/sport/mehr-sport/...0762.bild.html

To sum up, she accuses Steffi of having deliberately lost a match, the double olympics SF, for them (so her = Kohde-Kilsch) not to win a gold medal, because Steffi's dad didn't wanted her (Kohde-Kilsch) to have gold...
First, I think it's ridiculous.
But god, the womand doesn't even look at her own performance. Says something like that 23years after. And says it on an interview, not face to face.
Poor woman.
I remember reading a long itw from her, published in 1985, or 86, you just can feel how she already felt pissed by the celebrity of boris becker, who became a star and not her and her new national rival...
Why did Steffi (Peter) decide to lose in the semis and not in the final?
Also she (Kohde-Kilsch) is taking away from the opponents they lost too.(Novotna and Sukova)
Both already had to suffer from Steffi in singles a lot, so to claim that even in doubles it was all about Steffi's (Peter's) mood
is pretty low.

I think she lost her mind a little bit.
To the river so deep
We all end in the ocean
We all start in the streams
We're all carried along
By the river of dreams
In the middle of the night
irma is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #1824
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

I agree with you, that it's a lack of respect to the players who beat them too.

In other news, Steffi has apprently withdrew from newt year exhibition in Halle(http://www.zeit.de/news/2011-12/17/t...n-auf-17121003)...I had ticket for this event
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #1825
country flag Stef-fan

Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all Stef-fan is a name known to all

Quote:

In other news, Steffi has apprently withdrew from newt year exhibition in Halle(http://www.zeit.de/news/2011-12/17/t...n-auf-17121003)...I had ticket for this event
Sorry to hear that, should have warned you. There was a report few weeks back about Steffi informing Halle tournment that it is not certain that she would play for sure, not sure if it is before or after you bought the ticket.
May be there is a refund!!!!!
Stef-fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 07:56 PM   #1826
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef-fan View Post
Sorry to hear that, should have warned you. There was a report few weeks back about Steffi informing Halle tournment that it is not certain that she would play for sure, not sure if it is before or after you bought the ticket.
May be there is a refund!!!!!
I bought it before.
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #1827
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:

Oh.....too bad I did not know that Steffi had withdrawn. What is the reason for it, someone knows?
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 08:22 PM   #1828
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
Oh.....too bad I did not know that Steffi had withdrawn. What is the reason for it, someone knows?
Injury.

Seleçao don't worry, send me the ticket I 'll pay you (don't worry again lol)
I will find a way to sell it, or get a refund, or live with it
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #1829
country flag Seleção82

Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of Seleção82 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Injury.

Seleçao don't worry, send me the ticket I 'll pay you (don't worry again lol)
I will find a way to sell it, or get a refund, or live with it
Thanks my friend! ... But no, YOU don't worry!! It's far easier for me here in Germany to sell it. I don't think that I will go there myself *LOL* So don't worry!! I'm just glad that I didn't already send it to you.
Seleção82 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #1830
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seleção82 View Post
Thanks my friend! ... But no, YOU don't worry!! It's far easier for me here in Germany to sell it. I don't think that I will go there myself *LOL* So don't worry!! I'm just glad that I didn't already send it to you.
Check your private messages my fiend