Australian Players: A to Z - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 02:28 PM   #31
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Australian Players: A to Z

Quote:
You did?? Do mods get psychic powers too? I only decided to do it earlier today!
That's for me to know and you to never find out!

P. S. You have a slight typo in Peter Bolton's info-you must have tired as you got towards Z!. If my memory is correct Peter Bolton was killed in combat, shot down in an air raid over Cologne, Germany.

Last edited by Rollo : Nov 22nd, 2011 at 09:47 PM.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:55 PM   #32
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post

P. S. You have a slight typo in Peter Bolton's info-you must have tired as you got towards Z!. If my memory is correct Peter Bolton was killed in combat, shot down in an air raid voer Cologne, Germany.
So do you!

Quote:
Perhaps at a later date if you have time (and trust me I mean "if") you might be able to use those deleted posts for other areas of expansion-perhaps a listing of players by state for example.
Yeah - that could be something to do. Still not sure - I was going to sleep on it, but even though the first coffee has kicked in, I'm still umming and ahhing.

I could also use them to list some of the "mystery women" - eg the Dransfields - who are still driving me crazy. I could list my suspicions (eg that there are three sisters - Nellie, Mary and Margaret - and that Margaret might well have been known as Peggy - the 'P Dransfield' that you sometimes see) and perhaps others might be able to add their own info/thoughts to (hopefully) help work out who's who.

Though (at this moment) I reckon I might just include them in the general A-Z with a 'work in progress' type text box listing any assumptions/discussion points. Let me know what you think.

Yesterday I was mulling the idea of making this thread an 'A-Z of Australian Tennis History' including tournament notes/honour rolls, facts about the development of the game downunder etc. Then I figured even the A-Z of players was ambitious enough for a start. I think I may eventually do a 'History' thread but I'll think about it a bit more first.

Anyway - time for more coffee!
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM   #33
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Great work, Graham. I see you even found the first names of the Chenery sisters, who played in some of the Continental (Swiss) tournaments circa 1910. I knew they were from Australia.

Your thread looks fine as it stands - no need to make things too complicated.

Keep up the good work.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2011, 09:50 PM   #34
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo

P. S. You have a slight typo in Peter Bolton's info-you must have tired as you got towards Z!. If my memory is correct Peter Bolton was killed in combat, shot down in an air raid voer Cologne, Germany.

So do you!

Nah. That's not a typo. That's German

(That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Keep up the coffee and the great infomration GeeTee
Old Nov 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #35
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future

I've updated some - and added a few more - profiles in the last week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
I see you even found the first names of the Chenery sisters, who played in some of the Continental (Swiss) tournaments circa 1910. I knew they were from Australia.
Yeah the names seem to fit well as A. Chenery kept playing in Australia in 1890 after her sister would have had to travel to the UK for her marriage.

I wonder why the sister (was it just one?) who played in SUI kept using her maiden name, though I guess plenty of players at the time used faked names anyway.
Old Jan 30th, 2012, 10:15 PM   #36
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Hello there GeeTee. Question-could this player be the mother of Kerry Melville Reid?

Quote:
Dorothy Winifred GREENWOOD (NSW)
Married James Hector MELVILLE on 24 March 1939
and more information on Betty Ward (just in case-you probably have it already)

WARD, BETTY (Ward, Betty J)
Australia (South Australia)
Married Ross Harmer (of Clare) on 12 June 1937 in Gleneig, Australia, her hometown.

1931 Aussie draw. Associated with East Torrens. Her wedding notice stated the couple would settle in Mildura. Mr Harmer also played tennis.

Last edited by Rollo : Jan 30th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 08:53 PM   #37
country flag GeeTee

Quote:
Hello there GeeTee. Question-could this player be the mother of Kerry Melville Reid?
Correct!

Dorothy was born 21 Mar 1916 in Summer Hill, Sydney and Kerry Anne MELVILLE was the youngest of four children.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #38
country flag GeeTee

Quote:
and more information on Betty Ward (just in case-you probably have it already)
Didn't have the middle initial or DOM, so added. Thanks.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #39
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Didn't have the middle initial or DOM, so added. Thanks.
Quite welcome GT. I'm restarting reviewing the Aussie Open results next week if you are still game.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 07:17 PM   #40
country flag GeeTee

I think I already posted most of the corrections/additions I had in your individual year threads and another bunch in the GS results AO thread, so not sure I'll be able to add too much more at this stage. But you never know - go for it!

Louloubelle was also going to try and post some extra Aussie info in this thread, so hopefully that'll motivate me to do a bit more in here too.
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 04:48 PM   #41
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I think I already posted most of the corrections/additions I had in your individual year threads and another bunch in the GS results AO thread, so not sure I'll be able to add too much more at this stage. But you never know - go for it!

Louloubelle was also going to try and post some extra Aussie info in this thread, so hopefully that'll motivate me to do a bit more in here too.
Thanks GT. I'm excited that Louloubelle may be coming back. It was LLB who originally wrote up most of the notes when we started the Grand slam draws a few years back!

Just in case anyone wished to do some real digging-here is more on Le Messurier.

Messurier's papers are in the State Archives of South Australia in Adelaide and are described as having “Newspaper cuttings, photographs, programmes, correspondence, and badges relating to Kathleen Le Messurier's tennis career.”

There might be some real gems in the Adelaide archives relating to her.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #42
louloubelle

louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future louloubelle has a brilliant future

^^ Hi Rollo. Yes, this thread caught my attention and so Im pretty keen to keep adding to it. Ive sent Gee Tee some details about the 1950's... now working on the 60's. Unfortunately, a little more digging is required as most of it is dominated by Margaret Court.
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #43
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Great to have you back Louloubelle

I'm keen to see what you've dug up for the 50s and 60s. It is a tough era to find info for. It's ironic the Trove gives us a bigger picture for the earlier era. Hopefully they will expand it to include later dates.

In case you missed it here's a bit I found on Kaye Dening:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=452604
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #44
country flag Olympus

Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice Olympus is just really nice

Not sure if I'm duplicating other people's work but I have:

Agnes Ellen Abeckett
Birth 25 May 1870 in St Kilda, Victoria, Australia
Death 28 Jul 1963 in Malvern, Victoria, Australia

Youtha Constance Anthony
Born 1905 Malvern, Victoria, Australia
Married Edward Young 1933 in London,England

Marie Ethel Blanche Beegling
Born 1900 London, England
Died 1969

Margaret Ursula Bere
Born 1901
Died June 30 1944 in Oakhill, Somerset, England

Last edited by Olympus : Feb 7th, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
Olympus is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #45
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

It was all new to me Olympus

I can add some information for Mrs Quinnell.

Here is her obit:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...chTerm=richard james quinnell&searchLimits=

Yet another obit suggests her name was Emma Jane

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...chTerm=richard james quinnell&searchLimits=

And other info:

QUINNELL, MAY
Australia (Queensland)
Died 15 November 1932 in Melbourne, Australia
Married Sgt-Major (Brigade-Surgeon) Richard James Quinnell. He died 3 December 1902, in Melbourne, aged 68.

1889 and 1890 Queensland Champion

Former resident of India who came to Australia with her (doctor) husband. A respected artist whose oil paintings had won prizes, May spoke six languages and was reputed to have introduced the game of badminton to Queensland. She may have been considerably younger than her spouse. He had at least 2 sons born in the 1860s, yet May’s obit states she had no children.