Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread - Page 52 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 29th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #766
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future
Re: Martina Navratilova Admiration Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfajeffster View Post
That pic of Martina with McEnroe is fantastic- best I've ever seen of these two together! I always wished they'd have played mixed doubles together- who would've beaten them?
Couldn't agree more
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 31st, 2011, 07:12 PM   #767
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Quote:
Unfortunately, women's tennis results are no longer of great interest to both sports and online resources. The Blast is the best resource for such information. Tennis suffers most from having always been seen as an elitist country club sport, and not too long ago, records (at least in the US) were primarily kept at private clubs. I can't imagine Martina's earlier results were even published in local papers, and even during the cold war, her finals wins were not even reported many times. Whatever records there may have been for Navratilova (especially after defection) might have also been destroyed.

Having researched a lot of tennis results and other types of related information in different countries in recent years, I would have to disagree with you. Once tennis had been accepted as a "legitimate" sport by the Communists, I don't think there would have been (m)any restrictions on reporting tournaments. And, although Martina Navratilova turned out to be a special case, early on some of her matches would surely have been covered in newspapers or other media.

It would be great if Martina herself was interested enough to dig out - or, just as good, if not better - employ a researcher to dig out her early results from, say, the years 1971-73. I'm sure a lot, if not most, of the results are still out there somewhere, partly in dusty, dirty archives, but there nevertheless.
newmark401 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 07:18 AM   #768
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Martina was in Denver thursday to speak at a women's Foundation of Colorado :http://denver.cbslocal.com/2011/11/0...ill-inspiring/
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #769
country flag gabybackhand

gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of gabybackhand has much to be proud of

Sorry if commented before, but I finally could see the whole 91 US Open SF Martina's win over Steffi, what a match! It was a tremendous performance by Navratilova, while Graf did not have a bad day at all and gave some incredible tennis especially to fight back and take the second set, some awsome Graf stuff. But Martina was on fire for most of the match, and she served incredible while her volleying was on! Some of the best game by Navratilova, considering her rival and that she was playing in a much powerful era than some of her most dominant years. It's absolutely necessary to remark some numbers, as they both hit several aces (more than 7 each at least I think), with those times technology, and the ratio winners/U.E. was amazing: midway the second set Graf was 36 W/11 U.E., and in the 3rd set Martina had hit more than 50 winners and 22 unforced errors, amazing! Please try really hard not to compare that to current tennis, even from the best in the game, as an act of mercy
Merciless Monica - Barcelona Bumblebee
gabybackhand is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #770
country flag allhingis

allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light allhingis is a glorious beacon of light

Didn´t know about this thread, very good one

If Martina played today she would be unstopabble
allhingis is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #771
country flag alfajeffster

alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute alfajeffster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark401 View Post
Having researched a lot of tennis results and other types of related information in different countries in recent years, I would have to disagree with you. Once tennis had been accepted as a "legitimate" sport by the Communists, I don't think there would have been (m)any restrictions on reporting tournaments. And, although Martina Navratilova turned out to be a special case, early on some of her matches would surely have been covered in newspapers or other media.

It would be great if Martina herself was interested enough to dig out - or, just as good, if not better - employ a researcher to dig out her early results from, say, the years 1971-73. I'm sure a lot, if not most, of the results are still out there somewhere, partly in dusty, dirty archives, but there nevertheless.
Jaroslav Drobny was a world-class player back in the late 40s and most of the 50s, and his results (I believe he did win Wimbledon or the USO) were blacked out on a regular basis by the communist block. I don't think they had anything against tennis per se, just the concept of defecting.
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #772
country flag newmark401

newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all newmark401 is a name known to all

Brief footage of a young Czech hopeful playing in the Annie Soisbault Cup back in 1973:

http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societ...tilova.fr.html
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #773
country flag calou

Quote:
Brief footage of a young Czech hopeful playing in the Annie Soisbault Cup back in 1973:

http://www.ina.fr/economie-et-societ...tilova.fr.html
I've already posted it on 1973 thread but thanks to post it again .
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #774
country flag Pat Bateman

Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all Pat Bateman is a name known to all

That is some amazing footage! I've never seen it before. Martina looks so young. Thanks for posting this.
Old Dec 12th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #775
country flag newmark401

Martina almost before she became Martina:

From the London "Times", 17 May 1975

A rising young star smashing her way to Wimbledon

by Rex Bellamy

"Martina Navratilova is only 18 years old. But in the first four months of the year she won £42,000 playing tennis in the United States. Uncle Sam taxed her 30 per cent. The Czechoslovak government took 20 per cent of the rest as a compulsory contribution towards national sports development. That still left the bulky lefthander more than £23,000 in pocket.

"Last Sunday, in Aix-en-Provence, Miss Navratilova crushed Evonne Goolagong in the final of the women's world team championship for the Federation Cup. With the help of Renata Tomanova (another muscular testimony to the Czech cuisine) she earned her country and eastern Europe as a whole their first world team title in either men's or women's tennis. Less than a year earlier these same Czechoslovaks had beaten Britain in the final of the under-21 competition for the Annie Soisbault Cup.

"East European nations have to make a teasing choice between political gestures and sporting prestige. Often they boycott - or scratch from - events in which South Africa takes part. For this reason Czechoslovakia had missed four consecutive Federation Cup competitions. Presumably the advent of a potential winning team made them change their minds. If so, they must be pleased with what could be construed as a contradiction of earlier policies.

"Miss Navratilova's home is Revnice, about 12 miles outside Prague. Her sister, aged 12, also plays tennis. 'The whole family are still playing tennis, even my grandmother. They were all good athletes. I started when I was five. My father is still my coach.'

"Did she have any early models? 'We didn't get to see too many tennis players. Only Wimbledon on television. I remember Billie Jean King, Nancy Gunter, Ann Jones. But as a tennis player I like Billie Jean most.'

"She used to take part in a variety of sports - ice hockey, athletics, skiing, handball, even soccer. ('I just played against the boys. As a girl, I couldn't be in the team.') She likes going to the movies, listening to classical music, reading books. A regular item of her equipment at tournaments is what looks like a handsome executive case. It is nothing of the sort: it is a backgammon board purchased in the United States, where she also buys her clothes.

"What with one thing and another it is hardly surprising that she finds the American tennis scene congenial. 'It's more enjoyable to play tennis in the States. Everything is much easier. You play indoors. So you always play. It's not windy. More spectators, more prize money. But it's more fun to play in the French or Italian because there is not so much pressure on you. There are not so many good players. On the Virginia Slims circuit there are all the good players. Then they play WTT' (the American inter-city team league).

"Her best matches before going to Aix, she reckons, were those in which she beat Christine Evert in Washington and Miss Goolagong in Boston. 'I have never played Billie Jean. My dream is to play her at Wimbledon, because that will probably be my last chance to play her. She's the greatest player. Of the other women players, I admire her the most. Not only because of her tennis ability, but also a person. She has done so much for women's tennis, women's sport.'

"Miss Navratilova is 5 ft 71/2 in tall and reluctantly concedes that her weight varies between 10st, 10lb and 11st, 6lb. Inevitably she is not always as agile and subtle as she might be, especially in picking up drop shots and short angles. One of her Federation Cup oppponents was the experienced Geraldine Barniville of Ireland, a shrewd and objective critic. 'She's terribly strong,' said Mrs Barniville. 'I don't think that half the men at home hit the ball as hard as she does. She must have wrists like iron. But she's very big and moves badly. She doesn't turn quickly.'

"A further weakness of Miss Navratilova's game is that at present her volleying is sometimes insecure. But her opponents mostly have too many problems of their own to concentrate on a cool examination of Miss Navratilova's supposed deficiencies. Her service and smash are explosive. She can really soundly and has fierce passing shots on both flanks. In the forecourt she is eager and bold, and usually has a sure touch.

"In short, she has the ability to play any kind of game on any kind of surface. But its basic nature is always aggressive - by Eastern European standards, uncommonly so. She no longer has a favourite surface. 'But I don't know whether I like to play on grass, because I didn't get used to it.'

"Her favourite strokes? 'Probably the running forehand down the line, or when I hit a really good top-spin passing shot. Because my weakness is my backhand I enjoy it more when I hit a good one. I also like to make all these fancy shots at the net - volley, drop shots.'

"In 1973 Miss Navratilova caused a stir by beating Mrs Gunter to reach the last eight of the French Championships. Last year she reached the finals of the Italian and West German Championships and, again, the last eight in Paris. In sharing the French mixed doubles title with Ivan Molina she became the youngest player ever to win a French championship. This year her further advance has been startling. She finds it difficult to explain.

"'I know I improve. I was expecting to improve. But I don't know why it happens. I was doing some physical exercises last November in Prague, so I got faster. That might be one of the reasons. I wasn't tired in the final set. I could still play my best - I didn't have to fight myself. Also, because I play all the best players and got more experience I know how to play the big points, the pressure points. And I can control myself better. I don't get upset so much by bad line calls.'

"It seems only yesterday we were assuming Miss Evert would rule the courts, especially the clay courts, for years to come. That assumption is no longer valid. But life is nothing unless it is a ceaseless quest for improvment. The ex-footballer from Revnice will really have to watch her diet - and perhaps take a few more doses of agility training. She would still be strong enough to carry all those dollar bills to the bank."
-----

Last edited by newmark401 : Dec 21st, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old Dec 21st, 2011, 10:00 PM   #776
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Excellent! Thanks so much and bravo for fishing this one out. I imagine the Ostrava result is the Czechoslovak National Champs.
I saw on a mainly Czech-language website that Martina Navratilova also won the doubles and mixed doubles events at the Czech International Championships in 1974 and the mixed doubles again at the same tournament in 1975. I'm not sure who her partners were. I don't think those results are up in this forum.
Old Jan 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM   #777
country flag samn

samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute samn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That pic of Martina with McEnroe is fantastic- best I've ever seen of these two together! I always wished they'd have played mixed doubles together- who would've beaten them?
I've often wondered how McEnroe/Shriver would have fared against Fleming/Navratilova. I think that Fleming/Navratilova would be the better team by a whisker.
Best left-right combination by a German (and that includes Max Schmeling): Steffi Graf. All she did in 1987 was knock Navratilova out of #1 and try to knock Evert out of the sport. (Mike Lupica in "The Best and Worst of Tennis in 1987", World Tennis)

"A couple of years ago, we nicknamed Steffi Graf's forehand 'Jaws'. And that music would go perfectly when she starts running in to the net, swarming on that little ball." (JoAnne Russell, during the 1988 Wimbledon final between Graf and Navratilova)
samn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 10:16 PM   #778
country flag newmark401

This is virtually all of the 1982 French Open singles final between Martina and Andrea Jaegar, with commentary (in French) by Virginia Ruzici and someone called Hervé. Excellent overall quality.

http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...jaeger.fr.html
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #779
country flag chaton

chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of chaton has much to be proud of

Quote:
This is virtually all of the 1982 French Open singles final between Martina and Andrea Jaegar, with commentary (in French) by Virginia Ruzici and someone called Hervé. Excellent overall quality.

http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...jaeger.fr.html
Hey thanks for posting that link. I found a lot of other old matches at this source. By the way also the Roland Garros Finals between Chrissie and Martina in 1984 and 1985...
chaton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #780
country flag newmark401

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaton View Post
Hey thanks for posting that link. I found a lot of other old matches at this source. By the way also the Roland Garros Finals between Chrissie and Martina in 1984 and 1985...
Yes, here's the link to the 1984 French Open final: http://www.ina.fr/sport/tennis/video...tilova.fr.html