String recommendation needed - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 9th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #1
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute
String recommendation needed

I broke a string last weekend and need a some advice on a replacement. I'm not really up on the latest and greatest, and I really don't care about adding spin or seeking alot of control, etc.

I basically hit against a wall 5-6 days a week for a couple hours as hard as I can, and I don't care about playing matches, etc. I hit flat, but mainly HARD, with a lower than average tension. My racquet is a Prince O3 Speedport White. It's been so long since the racquet was last strung I forgot what it was last strung with.

Any advice on a replacement would be greatly appreciated.

AravaneCaravan's tennis blog: http://thearavanecaravan.wordpress.com
Kipling is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:26 AM   #2
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future
Re: String recommendation needed

What's your budget like?

I've always loved Prince's Synth Gut Duraflex (16 gauge) for its durability and its price. Prince's "original" Synthgut works well, too.

If you're a hard hitter, Luxilion Big Bangers are pretty popular,too.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute Kipling has a reputation beyond repute

Budget's not an issue. I was looking at the Prince Synthetic w Duraflex, mainly because it's one of the few strings every big box store seems to carry. Otherwise, I'm looking at having to ship it off somewhere for a restring I guess.

Thanks for the response.

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 10:52 PM   #4
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

Minimiffed (who plays harder, better and more than I do) swears by that Duraflex. I think you'll be pleased with it.

He hits hard and flat, but also does a lot of touch work at the net. He has tried all the "durability" type strings that are readily available (because he does have budget constraints, i.e. me) and he says he thinks that string gives the best balance of wearability and touch.

Lena's bangs.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Elena Viatcheslavovna Dementieva--Eternal Goddess of the Divine Bangs
miffedmax is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Thanks.

I have several racquets from when I was experimenting after my shoulder surgery a few years ago and I took them out and looked at the strings for comparison. I have a Head Microgel that was strung with Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour on the mains and Wilson NXT 16 on the crosses and that combination almost caused my arm to fall off. And then I've got another Prince O3 strung with some type of Prince string--it might be synthetic gut, but it's difficult to read the script on it.

A friend and his daughter who I see at the courts regularly let me play with their racquets when they saw that I had broken a string. She's on one of the local high school teams, and he coaches her. It felt like hitting bricks using their racquets--they had some custom string combinations that were obviously designed more for control than power. But it was quite interesting. I think I realized for the first time that strings, a lot moreso than frames, made a huge difference in players' games.

Old Nov 11th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #6
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute miffedmax has a reputation beyond repute

The lad regards Hurricane as shite.

He plays a Babolat Pure Drive Lite with Duraflex. He likes being able to swing really fast, with a nice, light racket.

I kind of agree. I think a lot of people playtest rackets like crazy then just pick any old string when you need to experiment to get everything tuned to play your best. The racket does make difference for me, but the right string is important, especially the better a player you are.

Lena's bangs.
"I read on the internet that there is something chipmunky about me :-)"--Andrea H.

Old Nov 11th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #7
country flag cowsonice

cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future cowsonice has a brilliant future

I've always been curious to test strings, but it seems like such an expensive ....hobby within a hobby.

I'm sure the stringer at the local pro shop carries Prince Duraflex. I go to a pretty small-scale tennis shop, and they carry it.

Faves: Sharapova, Hantuchova, Safarova, Goerges
GO BEARS!
cowsonice is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #8
country flag miffedmax
Worshipping the bangs

Well, for minimiffed, we did it sort of like we did rackets. We got his coach to recommend some strings (he gave three or four) and we rotated them through a number of restringings. Since he uses two rackets, it only took a couple of months and he used the one he didn't like as a backup.

I've never done it because I just don't play enough (I just started using the same string as my kid). But if you're a competitive player who plays every day it's probably worth the effort, because you've probably got multiple rackets and have to get them restrung every few months anyways.

Lena's bangs.

Old Nov 11th, 2011, 06:15 AM   #9
country flag Moveyourfeet

Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future Moveyourfeet has a brilliant future

If you are hitting against a wall only then it doesn't really matter what string you get, as long as it's comfortable for you. Any cheap synthetic gut will do.
Moveyourfeet is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #10
country flag Kipling
Kaptain of Kool

Thanks, gang. I decided to try the Prince synthetic with duraflex based on your recommendations. Should have it back this evening!