Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 03:58 AM   #16
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Sammy's 2011 Party and Off-Season Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRUstus View Post
10) What do you predict in 2012 for Sam (ranking, tournmanets, H2Hs with particular players etc.)?
don't like predict. I only hope that Sam will be healthy. If she will, so I guess there will be a lot of her great wins vs any girls of top5, top10, top20 ..... top1000
Good answer. I guess the main thing is that she's healthy and happy and competing hard. If she does that, we can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults
Why should it be B-grade? It will be directed by Quentin Tarantino and Sam will kick everyone's ass. Like Kill Bill.

Uma Thurman wouldn't be a bad choice to play her in a movie, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymons
3) What fictional character does Sam remind you of?
I would pick the character of Sarah Connor from the Terminator films, played by Linda Hamilton. In the first film, Sarah is an ordinary and timid person, certainly not tough. She is a woman who needs protection. And then, in Terminator 2 she rises to the challenge. The timid victim has been transformed into a muscular woman, a warrior, a survivor. I think she is the embodiment of a female fighter in fiction. And yet, there are scenes in the film when you can still see the vulnerability behind the muscles. I think it's the same thing with Sam. The timid player who could be blown off the court a few years ago has become a fighter, a survivor, a major threat for the best players of the game, because she belongs among the best IMHO...

P.S. Yes, this is my first post and hopefully not the last. No, I don't know why it took me so long.
Hi and nice to meet everybody!
Sup We need all the people we can get. I'm fairly certain Sam's performances are directly positively correlated with how many people are obsessively posting about her in this forum

These movie-character answers are great.
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 4th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #17
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymnos View Post
1) What was Sam's best win of the year?
I guess the win against Serena in the US Open Final comes in mind first for obvious reasons. Beating pissed-off Serena in New York city, in Arthur Ashe, 2 and 3 is kind of impossible to forget and overlook. And her wins against Petrova and Kirilenko at the USO were also very impressive, both exciting and dramatic.

2) What was Sam's worst loss of the year
Wimbledon 1st round.

I would pick the character of Sarah Connor from the Terminator films, played by Linda Hamilton. In the first film, Sarah is an ordinary and timid person, certainly not tough. She is a woman who needs protection. And then, in Terminator 2 she rises to the challenge. The timid victim has been transformed into a muscular woman, a warrior, a survivor. I think she is the embodiment of a female fighter in fiction. And yet, there are scenes in the film when you can still see the vulnerability behind the muscles. I think it's the same thing with Sam. The timid player who could be blown off the court a few years ago has become a fighter, a survivor, a major threat for the best players of the game, because she belongs among the best IMHO.

4) If you had to describe Sam's year in the form of a song, which song would it be?
"Standind on top of the world" by Sarah Connor (it's a funny coincidence, I know).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvapLudamBg
I think Sam proved many people wrong this year.

5) What was Sam's most under-rated win of the year?
Both wins against Vera on clay and grass, after being a set down and again the win against her at the USO QF, a match she was meant to win according to everyone.

6) Which of Sam's losses were you most impressed with?
The loss against Kvitova at the YEC. She took the first set and she managed to make a threat in the third, after being 5-0 down.

7) What part of Sam's game has improved most throughout the year?
First of all, I would say mental toughness. The matches against Nadia/Makiri/Serena at the USO prove this. And then it's the defence, the movement, the backhand.

8) What would you like to see Sam work on in the future?
The backhand.

9) What's the one match you wish Sam had won, that she didn't?
The final against Masha in Rome.

10) What do you predict in 2012 for Sam (ranking, tournmanets, H2Hs with particular players etc.)?
She will definately enter the top 5 close to the beginning of the season and she will remain in the top 5 for the rest of the year. I believe she will win 3-5 tournaments, including a slam (probably not Wimbledon ), just to see people stop saying she has only won 3 singles titles. As for H2Hs, I can see her beating again Masha, since she cracked the Masha code in the YEC. She also took a set off Kvitova, so a win will follow very soon. And if she can beat Masha and Petra, I don't see why she can't beat Vika too. These are my predictions and I do not think they are bold, considering the year she's had. My wish is that she stays healthy and mentally strong. Then the wins and the titles will follow, as I predict.

P.S. Yes, this is my first post and hopefully not the last. No, I don't know why it took me so long.
Hi and nice to meet everybody!
Nice to meet you Skymnos. Great first post!
stromatolite is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #18

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm just a hopelessly biased fanboy, but I'm surprised that I'm the only one so far predicting Sam will crack the top 2 next year. A lot of people (not just on this thread) are predicting that she'll win RG next year, and most see her as a legitimate contender (though obviously not the favorite) for the AO as well. The extra points Sam would gain if she won just one of those two titles is almost exactly equal to her current rankings deficit with respect to the top 2. Factoring in the modest number of points she is defending in general in the first half of the year, I think there is a real chance that she could peak at no. 2 or even no. 1 next year. Because she's got her USO points to defend she probably won't end the year ranked that high, but I think she could certainly have a stint at or close to the top of the rankings.
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #19
country flag Siderophyre

Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future Siderophyre has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
I know I'm just a hopelessly biased fanboy, but I'm surprised that I'm the only one so far predicting Sam will crack the top 2 next year. A lot of people (not just on this thread) are predicting that she'll win RG next year, and most see her as a legitimate contender (though obviously not the favorite) for the AO as well. The extra points Sam would gain if she won just one of those two titles is almost exactly equal to her current rankings deficit with respect to the top 2. Factoring in the modest number of points she is defending in general in the first half of the year, I think there is a real chance that she could peak at no. 2 or even no. 1 next year. Because she's got her USO points to defend she probably won't end the year ranked that high, but I think she could certainly have a stint at or close to the top of the rankings.
Nice. Of course what you say is mathematically true. I think Sam has the game to be number 1 or 2 (Navratilova has said this too, by the way), but does she have the other intangibles? Does she want it enough? Is she competitive enough? Does she have enough of the killer instict? I'm not sure. Also, she often doesn't react in the expected way - i.e. she is just as likely to feel extra pressure because she has no points to defend! (All this blab is just to ensure that I don't get my hopes too high...)

I'm sure all us hopelessly biased fanboys on here will be pissing ourselves if what you have predicted actually comes to pass.

It's later than you think...
Siderophyre is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre View Post
Nice. Of course what you say is mathematically true. I think Sam has the game to be number 1 or 2 (Navratilova has said this too, by the way), but does she have the other intangibles? Does she want it enough? Is she competitive enough? Does she have enough of the killer instict? I'm not sure. Also, she often doesn't react in the expected way - i.e. she is just as likely to feel extra pressure because she has no points to defend! (All this blab is just to ensure that I don't get my hopes too high...)

I'm sure all us hopelessly biased fanboys on here will be pissing ourselves if what you have predicted actually comes to pass.
Well, considering the fact that we were all hoping for Sam to improve her ranking in Tokyo and Beijing this year because she was not defending any points there, I guess your caution might be wise. But as long as she has an even halfway decent Australian and US hardcourt season I don't think it's unrealistic for her go into RG ranked 4 or higher. If she could then go on to win the title (big if I know, but a lot of people more knowledgable than me seem to think she's got a decent chance) I can't see how she could fail to reach the no. 2 spot at least. She would be holder of 2 of the 4 slam titles for heaven sake! But of course if she bombs out early again at both the AO and RG this is all going to have been idle speculation.
Old Nov 5th, 2011, 09:40 AM   #21
country flag dok-stos

dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all dok-stos is a name known to all

Good fun topic. Tricky too lol!!!
Off the top of my head...

1) What was Sam's best win of the year?
= Serena Williams/Us Open crowd beatdown
2) What was Sam's worst loss of the year
= Losing to some Russian? scrub at Wimbledon so early
=The ranga chick from Pokemon Misty (First cartoon person that popped into my head lol)
4) If you had to describe Sam's year in the form of a song, which song would it be?
= Party in the USA by Miley Cyrus
5) What was Sam's most under-rated win of the year?
=I think her run at the US Open. Makiri/Vera/S Williams was overshadowed in the end by that screaming banshee who Sam slayed in the final.
6) Which of Sam's losses were you most impressed with?
= Off the top of my head/the only ones I can think of... the Vika/Kvitova YEC 3 set? losses. Sammy is gradually learning how to beat them Bring on 2012
7) What part of Sam's game has improved most throughout the year?
= Backhand. More improvement needed though.
8) What would you like to see Sam work on in the future?
Backhand. Dealing with pressure.
9) What's the one match you wish Sam had won, that she didn't?
=Fed Cup losses at the start of the year
= Ranking Top 5! Another Grand Slam Title Not sure which one yet though....
dok-stos is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #22
country flag skymnos

skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siderophyre
I think it's definately possible to reach the top 2 in the first half of 2012, considering defending points, her game and her performance lately. But can she do it? Siderophyre is right. Our aspirations are our possibilities. If she really wants to reach the world No 1 and win a few more slams, she certainly has the potential to do so. And her willingness, her attitude and her competitiveness the past few months show that if she doesn't have the killer instinct yet, she is closer to it than ever.

I can't wait for 2012!
skymnos is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 06:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymnos View Post
I think it's definately possible to reach the top 2 in the first half of 2012, considering defending points, her game and her performance lately. But can she do it? Siderophyre is right. Our aspirations are our possibilities. If she really wants to reach the world No 1 and win a few more slams, she certainly has the potential to do so. And her willingness, her attitude and her competitiveness the past few months show that if she doesn't have the killer instinct yet, she is closer to it than ever.

I can't wait for 2012!
Well put! These are exciting times, for Sam and for us. Knowing that she has the potential to win more slams and go to the top of the rankings but not knowing for sure whether she'll actually do it is pretty nerve wracking at times, but I think you're right about the killer instinct. It's not there all the time, but she's shown flashes of ruthlessness the last couple of months that I never thought I'd see in her. And she finally seems to have shrugged off that lingering doubt she always seemed to have about whether she really belongs at the top. If she doesn't do as well next year as we all hope, it won't be because she lacks the guts to go for it.
Old Nov 7th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #24
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Not enough Sammy fans voting!
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=447879

Come on she deserves better than 5th (below the Banshee Vika).
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisforadults View Post
Not enough Sammy fans voting!
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=447879

Come on she deserves better than 5th (below the Banshee Vika).
Already voted long ago, but I'm not too worried by Sam not winning this one. It's not a serious contest, half of these trolls would vote for Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton if they were on the list.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 04:54 AM   #26
country flag SilverPersian

SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute SilverPersian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Already voted long ago, but I'm not too worried by Sam not winning this one. It's not a serious contest, half of these trolls would vote for Kim Kardashian or Paris Hilton if they were on the list.
I saw in the 2010 version of the top 10 liked/disliked topic that Sam was ranked overall as the 200th+ most popular player
Stanislas Wawrinka|Ryan Harrison|Andy Murray

SilverPersian is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 05:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPersian View Post
I saw in the 2010 version of the top 10 liked/disliked topic that Sam was ranked overall as the 200th+ most popular player
It's pretty shocking that she was ranked this low, but I'm not surprised that she didn't do too well. For some reason a large proportion of the worst category of trolls really dislikes Sam. I think they can't stand the fact that she just gets on with the business of playing tennis, without having her own designer line of tennis outfits, with no soap-stars in her box, without grunting or abusing the officials, and generally not being a drama queen. As well, for most of them their fav being beaten once in an important match by Sam is grounds enough for a lifetime of hatred. Jerks like this are attracted to these polls like bees to a honeypot. I take heart from the fact that Sam is both respected and liked by practically everybody involved in tennis in a professional capacity. I don't think she needs to lose any sleep if a bunch of hideous trolls hates her.

Btw: rank 200+ is not as bad as it looks. The way these contests work is that players get + points for being liked and - points for being disliked. So any player who gets + points from a lonely fan and no - points will be ranked higher than all players who get a lot of both, but more - than +. Stupid scoring system for a stupid poll.

Last edited by stromatolite : Nov 8th, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #28
country flag tennisforadults

tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute tennisforadults has a reputation beyond repute

Sam is not your normal tennis poster girl. I can understand why people can't embrace her sunnies and muscles.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM   #29
country flag Huntress55

Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future Huntress55 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Btw: rank 200+ is not as bad as it looks. The way these contests work is that players get + points for being liked and - points for being disliked. So any player who gets + points from a lonely fan and no - points will be ranked higher than all players who get a lot of both, but more - than +. Stupid scoring system for a stupid poll.
Yeah its not a great system. I mean Serena has a heaps of fans but alot of haters too so she's super low as well. But looking at it this way Sam might get alot of votes, not all good, but the point is she is becoming a well known tennis player, she is on fans radar even if its not always good
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #30
country flag skymnos

skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice skymnos is just really nice

Quote:
These are exciting times, for Sam and for us. Knowing that she has the potential to win more slams and go to the top of the rankings but not knowing for sure whether she'll actually do it is pretty nerve wracking at times.
Nerve wracking and exciting, indeed, at all times! But it comes along with being Sammy's fans! Besides, I like to think that otherwise it would be a bit boring.

Quote:
It's pretty shocking that she was ranked this low, but I'm not surprised that she didn't do too well. For some reason a large proportion of the worst category of trolls really dislikes Sam. I think they can't stand the fact that she just gets on with the business of playing tennis, without having her own designer line of tennis outfits, with no soap-stars in her box, without grunting or abusing the officials, and generally not being a drama queen. As well, for most of them their fav being beaten once in an important match by Sam is grounds enough for a lifetime of hatred. Jerks like this are attracted to these polls like bees to a honeypot. I take heart from the fact that Sam is both respected and liked by practically everybody involved in tennis in a professional capacity. I don't think she needs to lose any sleep if a bunch of hideous trolls hates her.
+1!
skymnos is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote