If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next year? - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:07 AM   #16
country flag shap_half

shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute shap_half has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Well, I really think we could improve on her barking. It's a little too German Shepherd for me. We should aim for a full-grown Greyhound.
shap_half is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:09 AM   #17
country flag Nicolás89

Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute Nicolás89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Serve & volley, serve & volley and serve & volley.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 03:40 AM   #18
ElusiveChanteuse

ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute ElusiveChanteuse has a reputation beyond repute

Fitness, rallying, grunting during points
ElusiveChanteuse is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:26 AM   #19
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Lose the belly, we don't want to have another baby daddy on the way!
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM   #20
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Just reducing the amount of tourneys she can't land a ball in the court .
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:23 AM   #21
country flag Steven.

Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute Steven. has a reputation beyond repute

Volleys. She produces STUNNING drop volleys but sometimes it can be unbelievably horrendous. She can't drive volley that well as it gets predictable - she just smacks it down the center majority of the time. Oh and for every two great volleys is a bad one. She could improve that ratio to be even more dominant on fast courts than she is now.

This would actually improve her game as a whole, and not just volleying. She can cut down the amount of rallies even more. Her serve can become an even bigger weapon than it currently is as she could S&V more on faster courts often to mix things up.

I really don't think they should be working on anything else at the moment as her volley is much closer to perfection (although far from it) than her drop shots and lobs. Also, consistency is something I don't think can be worked on as on court is a completely different environment; there's more pressure to keep the ball in as opposed to during training. It's something the players have to learn to control themselves.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:33 PM   #22
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Why'd they move this to the subforum?

Aren't there 5 other Petra threads on GM now?

@Steven

Nice post.

I haven't seen her miss too many drive volleys, but I seen her miss more than enough sitters (with similar drive volley techniques), off of the lefty wide slice serve, that she hits on, too close to the line or out of bounds. She does this cause she's rushing.

I know she was playing against the top 8, but she's got to learn to just slap that ball towards the edge of the court ("Hit them where they ain't"), but not necessarily the lines.

Those pesky retrievers are not that fast or smart.

She could also employ fakes and deception, as she does so well on her forehand and backhand sitters, to throw the defender off. But I understand it's a lot harder, when both you and the defender are running towards the court and the net.
Excelscior is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:30 PM   #23
country flag Queen Petra Fan

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobito View Post
Last winter Kvitova's coach David Kotyza did a great job of improving Petra's fitness, speed and footwork and boy has it paid off this year. So where should the focus be now?

I'll start off by saying that she needs to put away the easy winners consistently. Too many times this year I've seen her throw her opponent out wide with a slice serve and get a weak return that she then belts as hard as she can and has the ball boys diving for cover. If the court is wide open, just roll it in for a winner.

Secondly, she needs top close down the net better when she comes in. She's a good vollier but she often makes them harder than they need to be.
You took the words out of my mouth. I get ulcers watching her matches when she's just tossing away points with her chronically unnecessary UEs. The other thing I would tell her is to give her shots more leeway when playing outdoors. You can paint the lines indoors but you've got to give yourself more clearance when you're playing outdoors. It would make a big difference in the long run. She needs an indoor game and an outdoor game.

Petra is the best!!! Go Czech Fed Cup Team!!!
Queen Petra Fan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:38 PM   #24

Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all Queen Petra Fan is a name known to all
Cool Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfarshear View Post
Her taste in men
He appears to be a great guy and makes her happy. Who did she kiss after her victory? Her zajiček. Leave the girl alone, she's in love. I wish everybody the same.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:38 PM   #25
country flag Excelscior

Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute Excelscior has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan View Post
You took the words out of my mouth. I get ulcers watching her matches when she's just tossing away points with her chronically unnecessary UEs. The other thing I would tell her is to give her shots more leeway when playing outdoors. You can paint the lines indoors but you've got to give yourself more clearance when you're playing outdoors. It would make a big difference in the long run. She needs an indoor game and an outdoor game.

Petra is the best!!! Go Czech Fed Cup Team!!!
Agree with everything you said. But I'll add one more subtlety, I think you'd agree with.

Petra also has to clean up her break points. Too many times in a match, she should win 6-2, 6-1 or 6-0, but she ends up winning 6-3, 6-4, cause she didn't take advantage of the break points, or she goes on a 1-4 game lapse while up.

Now these are two separate (but close) things, sometimes with the same result. Many times, Petra will just not take advantage of individual break opportunities, but still serve well, and win 6-2, instead of 6-0 and so forth. And of course there are other/worse times, when she'll just go on a complete siesta (third set Zvonareva, 1st set Azarenka, etc.), and not break or hold her own serve, but still wake up later, and win the set or match.

She needs to clean that up as well.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #26
country flag Excelscior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Petra Fan View Post
He appears to be a great guy and makes her happy. Who did she kiss after her victory? Her zajiček. Leave the girl alone, she's in love. I wish everybody the same.
Yuk!!! Lol
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM   #27

Unhappy Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelscior View Post
Yuk!!! Lol
I'll never understand why you knuckleheads are so down on her guy.

Be happy for the girl. Life on the road is probably lonely and fake as hell. It has to be weird when people just want a piece of you all the time or are just kissing your ass and playing nice to you. It must be nice for her to have someone she can be 'real' with, not 'professional' with. I hope it helps her a lot and keeps her balanced.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:03 PM   #28
country flag Excelscior

@Queen Petra Fan

Yeah. I just hope that sucka doesn't get her pregnant! How embarrassing would that be (I'm sure if he did she'd get an abortion; but we don't know her beliefs, situation)?

I know. TMI Lol

Regarding out door courts, and the Australian Open, I have a few hopes/suggestions for Petra below:

1) Keep going to the net off of good serves, floaters and returns.

2) Use more topspin (or the loopy corner shots) to clear the ball over the net and set up position, then use your flat shots for kill shots and change of direction cross court or down the line.

3) Hit the ball 6 inches from the lines (as you said QPF) when you're outdoors, or on windy days; unless it's one of those no wind days, when you don't have to worry.

If Petra can follow those things consistently (and/or react to them on the court), she will be Australian Open Champion this year (or at least a finalist).
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:15 PM   #29

Thumbs up Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Quote:
Agree with everything you said. But I'll add one more subtlety, I think you'd agree with.

Petra also has to clean up her break points. Too many times in a match, she should win 6-2, 6-1 or 6-0, but she ends up winning 6-3, 6-4, cause she didn't take advantage of the break points, or she goes on a 1-4 game lapse while up.

Now these are two separate (but close) things, sometimes with the same result. Many times, Petra will just not take advantage of individual break opportunities, but still serve well, and win 6-2, instead of 6-0 and so forth. And of course there are other/worse times, when she'll just go on a complete siesta (third set Zvonareva, 1st set Azarenka, etc.), and not break or hold her own serve, but still wake up later, and win the set or match.

She needs to clean that up as well.
It's a good point but obviously we have to remember her opponents are fighting like hell to prevent those breaks. On those points I wish she would just slow things down a little and really concentrate on serving better. A couple more well timed aces could be back breaking. On the other hand, you guys are so right about the mental siestas. It's alarming how quickly her momentum in a match can dissipate. You get up to grab a sandwich and she's lost five straight points! On the plus side, when she checks back in, she's been pretty devestating!
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #30

Talking Re: If you were David Kotyza, where would you be looking for Petra to improve next ye

Quote:
@Queen Petra Fan

Yeah. I just hope that sucka doesn't get her pregnant! How embarrassing would that be (I'm sure if he did she'd get an abortion; but we don't know her beliefs, situation)?

I know. TMI Lol

Regarding out door courts, and the Australian Open, I have a few hopes/suggestions for Petra below:

1) Keep going to the net off of good serves, floaters and returns.

2) Use more topspin (or the loopy corner shots) to clear the ball over the net and set up position, then use your flat shots for kill shots and change of direction cross court or down the line.

3) Hit the ball 6 inches from the lines (as you said QPF) when you're outdoors, or on windy days; unless it's one of those no wind days, when you don't have to worry.

If Petra can follow those things consistently (and/or react to them on the court), she will be Australian Open Champion this year (or at least a finalist).
Not to alarm you but, actually, in the interview she did with that guy from PNB in Turkey she mentioned her dream is to have kids.

Let's hope she's saving that idea for after her playing days are over.