WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees. - Page 5 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #61
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WTA starts to take action against grunters, Wozniacki agrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domachokeska View Post
Who even asks Caro? she will be irrelevant soon
It's so obvious that you can't even convince yourself, yet alone others

My Tennis Photo Database
Jimmie48 is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:03 PM   #62
country flag misty1

misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
You don't stop cleaning up your own house just because your neighbours live in a pigsty. You do what you can. And when I last looked the guys and the girls are competing on separate tours
maybe so, but like i said it wouldnt be fair to ask the ladies to stop and allow the men to keep doing it.
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #63
country flag Adrian.
Let's have a kiki!

Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute Adrian. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
It's so obvious that you can't even convince yourself, yet alone others
I don't have to convince others, Kvitova will do that today for me

Adrian. is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #64
country flag John.
I Was Gonna Cancel!

John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe people are defending grunting. It's the single worst thing about watching women's tennis.
John. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #65
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute
Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

It's been the first thing in her pro-life that I consider a big thumbs-down.

http://tennis.com/thespin/thedailyspin/index.aspx
Honestly, was Wednesday's "top" story in women's tennis more about other players' grunting or Caroline Wozniacki's whining?

We need to talk about grunting. Except that, really, nope, we don't. This subject seems a tired trope, fanned by the media. Most players say it hardly affects them. So it's odd when the freshly cemented year-end No. 1 opts to take on grunting as an allegedly timely on-court issue. At the season closing championships. In Istanbul. As if it hasn't been the case all year.

This just in: Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Petra Kvitova, and others are hardly WTA upstarts. And whether they clamor with a shriek-y cadence (Sharapova), yelp post-point—even on opponents' errors (Kvitova), or, worst, coo all the way through their foes' next shots (Azarenka), players largely pay it small mind. Whether the tennis is played indoors or outside, there remains nothing new under the sun.

Thus for all of her consistency and her patented dearth of unforced errors on court, the shot that Wozniacki took here was poorly timed. It came on a day when her headline should have revolved around that year-end No. 1 status, something no female player has managed twice in a row since Justine Henin in the mid-2000s, and a feat that no other active woman has pulled off twice aside from Serena Williams herself (2002, 2009). Instead, Wozniacki—in cahoots with the media—changed the narrative. And to what exactly? "Wozniacki Says Players Grunt 'On Purpose.'" How terrifically boring.

Well, at least the UK's Telegraph had fun with it. That paper counted down the arguable Top 10 grunters of all time. I repeat: Who doesn't love lists? Michelle Larcher de Brito owes her notoriety entirely to the most heinous sound every uttered on a tennis court, but the player who counts her truly counts her lucky stars to be included on the rundown (gruntdown?) is one Elena Bovina. (To those thinking, "Who?" ... enjoy

Notably bringing up the rear at No. 10 on that well-Telegraphed list was none other than Elena Dementieva, who I affectionately dubbed Demented for that unsightly but endearing serve toss and general headcasing. When she retired at 2010's WTA year-end championships in Doha, oh, tennis fans' collective viscera did groan.
"The human mind is not capable of grasping the Universe. We are like a little child entering a huge library. The walls are covered to the ceilings with books in many different tongues. The child knows that someone must have written these books. It does not know who or how. It does not understand the languages in which they are written. But the child notes a definite plan in the arrangement of the books - a mysterious order which it does not comprehend, but only dimly suspects." - Albert Einstein
pov is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #66
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1 View Post
then how do you explain players like serena or kim for example who seem to have no problem at all in handling these players that grunt

it might affect some players but then why wouldnt it affect them all the same way?

and what about those cases of players who tried to stop and then suffered because of it? there's obviously more to it than a simple fairytale as you claimed
Some people also handle Serena's serve quite well, so citing a few players who say they don't mind grunting proves nothing. And btw when it suits her Serena can turn on the grunts herself, so it would be pretty hypocritical if she suddenly started complaining about it. And to be perfectly honest, I would hope that the grunters were inconvenienced by having to stop. It's nobody's fault but theirs that they decided to become a grunter. They have probably won a few tight matches in key stages of their careers because of their grunting, so why should I weep for them if they do slightly less well for a while weaning themselves off the habit?
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #67
country flag misty1

misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of misty1 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromatolite View Post
Some people also handle Serena's serve quite well, so citing a few players who say they don't mind grunting proves nothing. And btw when it suits her Serena can turn on the grunts herself, so it would be pretty hypocritical if she suddenly started complaining about it. And to be perfectly honest, I would hope that the grunters were inconvenienced by having to stop. It's nobody's fault but theirs that they decided to become a grunter. They have probably won a few tight matches in key stages of their careers because of their grunting, so why should I weep for them if they do slightly less well for a while weaning themselves off the habit?
but the fact that the grunt doesnt affect everyone says something. If the grunting really had a negative affect on players then you'd think it would affect everyone in a way. why are some players seemingly completey thrown while others have no problem with it at all

and comparing it with the serve of serena really isnt a fair comparison. the serve is about so much more things other than pure power.

some players have come to adapt to the serena serve and found a way to deal with it, they can certainly find a way to deal with grunting.

you find a way to cope with whatever habits your opponent has
misty1 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #68
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute Jimmie48 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domachokeska View Post
I don't have to convince others, Kvitova will do that today for me
Uh, I have news for you: Even if Caro loses today she's still #1 and that makes her more relevant that pretty much all other players out there, sorry

My Tennis Photo Database
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #69
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wozniacki's sour-grapes whining about grunting

Woz is a whining and boring person, no surprise here. She knows her time is done despite that number one place. We all saw what happened during the last 6 months. She's done and she can't accept it. So she did the exact same thing that she does during a match when she get in troubles, she whined. She better goes back to her kangaroo fantasies, embarassing herself without looking for trouble.

TT Titles : Wimbledon 2013, Saint-Gaudens 2013, Charlottesville 2013
TT Doubles Titles : Osaka 2013 (w/matthias) Nantes Challenger YEC 2013, Charlotesville 2013, Sibenik 2013, Orlando 2013, Saint Martin 2013 (w/charmedRic)
Suicide Titles : Brisbane 2014
Tipping Titles : Australian Open 2014
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM   #70
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Really? Another topic for this? If you check out the bigger topic on this issue, you`ll see that most people agree with her. But of course since Caro said it it has to be outrageous... get a life.

My Tennis Photo Database
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM   #71
country flag Soliloque
La nuit je mens

Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute Soliloque has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie48 View Post
Really? Another topic for this? If you check out the bigger topic on this issue, you`ll see that most people agree with her. But of course since Caro said it it has to be outrageous... get a life.
We all agree with her about grunting but that's not the problem. Why bringing this subject now, during the last week of the year ?

I call attention whore.

TT Titles : Wimbledon 2013, Saint-Gaudens 2013, Charlottesville 2013
TT Doubles Titles : Osaka 2013 (w/matthias) Nantes Challenger YEC 2013, Charlotesville 2013, Sibenik 2013, Orlando 2013, Saint Martin 2013 (w/charmedRic)
Suicide Titles : Brisbane 2014
Tipping Titles : Australian Open 2014
Soliloque is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #72
country flag Mary Cherry.

Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute Mary Cherry. has a reputation beyond repute

"I don't mind it when it's Rafa"

Mary Cherry. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #73
country flag Jimmie48
Don't stop me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_Marquis View Post
We all agree with her about grunting but that's not the problem. Why bringing this subject now, during the last week of the year ?

I call attention whore.
Most likely because she was asked about her opinion, I doubt she woke up one morning and called the press just to get this off her chest.

I call that you`re deluded.

My Tennis Photo Database
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #74
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del_Marquis View Post

I call attention whore.
So you're saying that out of the blue Caroline arranged a presser to raise the issue?
Old Oct 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #75
country flag stromatolite

stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute stromatolite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but the fact that the grunt doesnt affect everyone says something. If the grunting really had a negative affect on players then you'd think it would affect everyone in a way. why are some players seemingly completey thrown while others have no problem with it at all

and comparing it with the serve of serena really isnt a fair comparison. the serve is about so much more things other than pure power.
I made the comparison with Serena's serve precisely to illustrate the point that different things affect different players differently. The fact that some players handle her serve quite well doesn't mean that the players who don't are only imagining that it's a good serve. And I don't know what your point about power is, I made no statement at all about what it is that makes Serena's serve so good because that's totally irrelevant to this discussion.

Quote:
some players have come to adapt to the serena serve and found a way to deal with it, they can certainly find a way to deal with grunting. There are other on court habits that could be viewed as just as obnoxious such as on court stalling, abusing the time out rule and applauding the opponents erros

you find a way to cope with whatever habits your opponent has
Why should they have to deal with the grunting? Unlike Serena's serve it's got nothing to do with tennis skill, it's simply an aggravating distraction. If anyone starts campaigning to force Serena to serve left-handed from now on because she otherwise has too much advantage over other players, I'll be the first to sign a petition opposing that. And those other bad on-court behaviours could and should be policed better as well, but that is not the topic of this thread.
stromatolite is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote