barker vs evert and austin question.... - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 1st, 2011, 09:27 PM   #16
country flag Kathy Horvath

Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice
Re: barker vs evert and austin question....

Recently on YouTube someone has fortunately posted the 1976 French Open semi, Ruzici v Barker and also the Wimbeldon semi Barker v Stove. In both, particuarly the Ruzici match, you can see the forehand. Raw talent I think.

I know Baltacha beat Schiavone but Bally isnt really in the same class as Barker. Bally talks a good game but she doesnt execute. She is a good top 65 player but hasnt got the weapons to get beyond second rounds in GS. Barker had weapons. We havent had a GB player for so long to get into 3rd and 4th Rounds at GS tournaments. This may well change with Watson and Robson (who has just beaten two good players to reach the 1st round in China).
Kathy Horvath is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:17 AM   #17
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Horvath View Post
I know Baltacha beat Schiavone but Bally isnt really in the same class as Barker. Bally talks a good game but she doesnt execute. She is a good top 65 player but hasnt got the weapons to get beyond second rounds in GS. Barker had weapons. We havent had a GB player for so long to get into 3rd and 4th Rounds at GS tournaments. This may well change with Watson and Robson (who has just beaten two good players to reach the 1st round in China).
I 100% agree with you - hence the 'but I know what you're getting at'.

Baltacha is the best British No 1 we've had since Sarah Gomer

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Doubles - (Rank : 1) (High : 1)
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
AdeyC is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:57 PM   #18
country flag Sumarokov-Elston

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeyC View Post
I 100% agree with you - hence the 'but I know what you're getting at'.

Baltacha is the best British No 1 we've had since Sarah Gomer
Would that be the same Sara Gomer who only managed to win one game on her best surface (grass) against notoriously slow starter Chris Evert at Wimbledon in 1989, when Evert was completely over the hill, almost did not enter because of injury and had played about two tournaments that year?

Baltacha is like that other East European import - Alex Bogdanovic. The minute they reach our shores they get the "British disease" (mostly because they get everything handed to them on a plate for very little input, along with completely overblown BBC and other coverage of their actually very insignificant "careers").

But back to the main topic, and I have to say I am glad Barker did not make it through to 1983. I was watching the finals of the 1983 Mixed Doubles World Championships, featuring Chris Evert and Andrea Jaegar with two of the most frightening and uncomplementary "poodle perms" I have ever seen. The thought of the woman often unkindly called "the poor man's Chris Evert" sporting something similar is almost too frightening to ponder.
Sumarokov-Elston is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 08:17 PM   #19

Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice Kathy Horvath is just really nice

I think that was the fashion in the 1980s. Do you remember Bonnie Gadusek - now that was a poodle perm! I always thought Chris looked ok because she was quite stoical on court and had a bit of a ruthless air about her!

I cant recall Sara Gomer doing anything significant - I think she may have reached Wimbeldon 3rd round once.

Barker's career was over really by the end of 1982.
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM   #20
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute AdeyC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I cant recall Sara Gomer doing anything significant - I think she may have reached Wimbeldon 3rd round once.
She won a tourney in Auckland (last British woman to win one) and should have reached Wimbly 3R (had match points against Shriver), but did make 3R of US Open.

Titles (6) - 2012 - New Haven, SF - WIMBLEDON, 2013 - Beijing, Member of Winning GB Fed Cup Team, 2014 - Brisbane, Dubai, Stuttgart, Rome
Titles - (13) (w/tennisbuddy12) 2010 - Bad Gastein, (w/Tuckii) 2013 - ITF Bertioga, (w/mateusz2904) - 2010 - Bogota, ITF -Karuizawa, ITF - Montpellier, 2011 - Bogota, Birmingham, ITF - Poitiers, ITF - Bratislava, 2012 - ITF - Opole, 2013 - Bad Gastein, 2014 - WIMBLEDON, Bad Gastein
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #21
country flag daze11

daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold daze11 is a splendid one to behold

I think this clip actually does give some weight & credence to Ms HORVATH's claim of Steffi Grafism in the game of Sue Barker. That is some forehand...and plenty of running around the backhand to deliver it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwDgx14Ca28
daze11 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #22

Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all Sumarokov-Elston is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by daze11 View Post
I think this clip actually does give some weight & credence to Ms HORVATH's claim of Steffi Grafism in the game of Sue Barker. That is some forehand...and plenty of running around the backhand to deliver it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwDgx14Ca28
Yes, that was Sue Barker's trademark shot alright. I enjoyed the match, but Chris is looking all skin and bone! I wonder if there was some reason for her disastrous (by her standards) second half of 1981, marriage problems or something? She was thin enough as it was at Wimbledon, but here she is painfully thin. And when she went to collect the trophy with her hair down, I could have sworn it was Martina Navratilova! The hair looks so similar. I can imagine the remarks they used to get if they ever went out together around that time: "Look at those pair of dykes with the matching haircuts"!
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #23

Chris played very well in that Fed Cup match against Sue. Sometimes Chris upped her game when playing for her country. Sue didnt seem to play badly but the scoreline looks dreadful! Still liking Sue's play though - bearing in mind both are playing with wood - crunching the ball a lot. Great to see these matches - as at the time I dont think this was shown on UK tv! Have the UK been near the Fed Cup final since? I dont think so!
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #24

Quote:
Chris played very well in that Fed Cup match against Sue. Sometimes Chris upped her game when playing for her country. Sue didnt seem to play badly but the scoreline looks dreadful! Still liking Sue's play though - bearing in mind both are playing with wood - crunching the ball a lot. Great to see these matches - as at the time I dont think this was shown on UK tv! Have the UK been near the Fed Cup final since? I dont think so!
I agree, I don't think this was shown in the UK, a country which thinks that tennis began when Queen's Club began and ended when Wimbledon ended! I was not even aware that Britain had reached the final of the Federation Cup (which, at that time, was considered very inferior to the far more classy Whiteman Cup!). Whereas I did know that the UK reached the final of the Davis Cup, where they lost to the USA (1979?). I agree that Sue showed some nice tennis, while the score looks dreadful. I can imagine Chris having a good sn-igger when she heard the surface would be green clay, while the fact that Sue had once dared to beat her (in 1979, when she was basically losing to anyone capable of holding a racket) meant that the Ice Maiden was definitely going to do her outmost to humiliate this "inferior British model" of C. M. Evert...

But gotta love Sue's forehands, overheads and good racket preparation!
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #25
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

Quote:
Have the UK been near the Fed Cup final since? I dont think so!
I think a QF in 1990 was the best we've done since.

Old Oct 10th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #26

Im loving Sue's all round game on quite a slow surface. Not frightened of coming to the net either. She is definitely limited on the backhand but the overheads and forehands are quite wonderful! She was a stylish player. Because of racket technology and obviously different training methods - most players do not have style. In the women's current top 10 - Kvitova has some promise to develop a stylish game but stylish players are few and far between.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #27
country flag AdeyC
TT BOARD MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumarokov-Elston View Post
I agree, I don't think this was shown in the UK, a country which thinks that tennis began when Queen's Club began and ended when Wimbledon ended! I was not even aware that Britain had reached the final of the Federation Cup (which, at that time, was considered very inferior to the far more classy Whiteman Cup!).
But gotta love Sue's forehands, overheads and good racket preparation!
I dont think it was - these YouTube clips are the first time I've ever seen it.