Sabine's serve - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #1
country flag Ian Aberdon

Ian Aberdon has disabled reputation
Sabine's serve

This is the other topic I wanted to raise.

Everyone has talked about Sab's serve - well, her first serve anyway! - over the time she has joined the Tour.

At it's best, it can win her many matches as a result of free points from aces & service winners.

Equally however, if it isn't firing, she can struggle as we have seen.

One thing I have commented on previously is how inconsistent her serve can be. One of the things that underlines it for me is when she constantly has to catch her initial ball toss. I noticed it at Wimbledon this year, & I also saw a few examples of the same thing during the recent US Hard Court season, including her run to the title in Texas.

So is the problem her stance? The actual ball toss? Confidence? Timing? Has she alwaya had an issue with serving, or is it more a recent thing?

Is it something that can be fixed easily, IF it is perceived as being a problem?

I often find that anyone with a high ball toss can have problems, especially though with conditions overhead (ie. too much wind). Is Sabine's ball toss a high one, & perhaps she could do with shortening it a little?

What do others think?
Ian Aberdon is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 18th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #2
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future
Re: Sabine's serve

The serve comes naturally to Sabine and it's a good thing.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #3
country flag Purple_Rain

Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of Purple_Rain has much to be proud of

I can't comment on the technical aspects of serving. But when she stops hitting 115 mph and makes only 30% of her first serves, it's mental. She forgets how to do what worked for her earlier in the match/tournament/season and just lets it fly. It doesn't work. And before she knows it, she's lost a crucial series of games.

When it rains, it pours.
~~~
Special Mention: Jarka Gajdosova, queen headcase of the WTA
Purple_Rain is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #4
country flag 18majors

18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future 18majors has a brilliant future

Hope to see Sabine plays soon.
18majors is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote