Suzanne Lenglen Career Results - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:52 AM   #16
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation
Rollo is this thread just an example. Who is doing Lenglen? I have the following summary of Lenglen from Ayres Lawn Tennis Almanack for 1938 and the following titles she has won. Her address was also published.

LENGLEN, MLLE Suzanne Rachel Flore
Born Compiegne May 24 1899, Died July 4th 1938.

Taught by her father; enjoyed remarkable success at a very youthful age; Won Champs of Picardy when fourteen years old, also open singles at Lille, 1913; won singles at Cannes (Beau Site) and at two successive open tournaments at Cannes (Carlton), 1914; in June of same year won Hard Court Singles & Doubles Champs. at Paris; played in several exhibition matches on Riviera for French Red Cross 1916-18; in 1919 won every event in which she competed on Riviera without loss of set;

Singles and Doubles Champs at Wimbledon, in former defeating Mrs. Dorothy Lambert Chambers in challenge round; also singles at Deauville and Le Touquet; in 1920 maintained her unbeaten record in singles, winning
singles Championships for second year at Wimbledon, also doubles ( with Miss Ryan) and mixed doubles (with GL Patterson); in same year won gold medals (singles and mixed doubles), Olympic tournament at Antwerp; won Le Touquet Cup outright and French National Champs at Racing Club de Paris; also many prizes including Monte Carlo Vase on Riviera; in 1921 won three cups at Monte
Carlo outright and was undefeated in any singles match on Riviera; won all three world's Hard Court Champs at St Cloud; defended Singles Champ and again won Doubles Champs (with Miss Ryan) at Wimbledon; in Aug 1921 visited America, and was defeatedby Mrs mallory in second round of USA Ladies Singles Champs.also played in two exhibition matches on behalf of devestated France ; in 1922 won all three Champs, both at Brussels and Wimbledon, "playing through" at latter and defeating Mrs Mallory in final (62 60); also won French National Champs., and was undefeated in any match
during the year; in 1923 won Champs at Wimbledon for ifth sucessive year, also retained Doubles Champs;

again won Hard Court Champs(at St Cloud) and retained French Champs, maintaining her unbeaten record in Europe since the war; won singles at Biarritz and San Sebastian; in 1924 won all three South of France Champs at Nice and other events on Riviera; retired from Singles of Wimbledon through illness; in 1925 won all three Championships at St Cloud and Wimbledon; visited Italy and Austria, and, returning to England in October won both doubles at Cromer; beat Miss Wills in Cannes; in June 1926, won French Championships(Singles and Doubles), subsequently in August, joining professional ranks and touring America; in 1932 flew to Wimbledon to witness finals, and took skating in Paris;is now coach in Paris. Address: 4 Square Jean Paul Laureas, Paris.

Won Beaulieu 1920
Won Biarritz 1923, 1925
Won Cannes Beau Site 1914,1920,1921,1923
Won Championships of Cannes 1919
Won Chateau D'Ardennes, Belgium 1925
Won Cannes Carlton 1914,1919,1921,1923,1926
Won Deauville 1919,1922,1923,1925
Won French Champs 1920,1921,1922,1923,1925,1926
Won Le Touquet 1913,1919,1920
Won Lille 1913
Won Menton 1919,1923,1924
Won Monte Carlo Cup 1919,1920,1921
Won Nice 1919,1921,1923,1924,1925
Won Nice (2nd Meeting) 1923,1924,1925,1926
Won Olympics 1920
Won Pouville 1925
Won San Sebastian 1923
Won Wimbledon 1919,1920,1921,1922,1923,1925
Won World Hard Court Championships 1914,1921,1922,1923

Last edited by Rollo : Sep 27th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 06:08 PM   #17
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Rollo is this thread just an example. Who is doing Lenglen? I have the following summary of Lenglen from Ayres lawn Tennis Almanack for 1938 and the following titles she has won. Her address was also published.
Andrew Tas- I was using it as an example and for Suzanne's results. I have Alan Little's great book that lays out many details.

Thanks for the great start!
Rollo is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 11:49 PM   #18
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suzanne Lenglen Career Results

Bump-can anyone add to this? One record Suzanne surely will own forever is her amazing record of double bagels-has anyone else won even one event by winning 60 games to nil? One doubts it!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #19
AndrewTas

AndrewTas has disabled reputation

Hey Rollo
Just been looking through the tennis book web sites and the Tennis Gallery is selling a new edition of the Alan Little Lenglen book. I dont know if it has more results than the 1988 edition. Here is the review.

SUZANNE LENGLEN Tennis Idol of the Twenties (2007)
Little, Alan
Publisher: WIMBLEDON LAWN TENNIS MUSEUM
ISBN: 0-906741-43-2

Pages: 216
Condition: NEW
Binding: Paperback

Notes: REVISED EDITION

Alan Little's excellent new book tells the story of one of the few women in tennis history who could genuinely be considered the greatest player of all time. The book, originally published in 1988, has been substantially revised and updated to include the results of nearly all Mlle Lenglen's tournament matches from 1912 to 1926, plus many interesting photographs never previously published.
AndrewTas is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #20
country flag chris whiteside

chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold chris whiteside is a splendid one to behold

I find it so difficult to put pre-WWII women's tennis into perspective vs post War but Lenglen's record is breathtaking.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #21
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
Hey Rollo
Just been looking through the tennis book web sites and the Tennis Gallery is selling a new edition of the Alan Little Lenglen book. I dont know if it has more results than the 1988 edition. Here is the review.

SUZANNE LENGLEN Tennis Idol of the Twenties (2007)
Little, Alan
Publisher: WIMBLEDON LAWN TENNIS MUSEUM
ISBN: 0-906741-43-2

Pages: 216
Condition: NEW
Binding: Paperback

Notes: REVISED EDITION

Alan Little's excellent new book tells the story of one of the few women in tennis history who could genuinely be considered the greatest player of all time. The book, originally published in 1988, has been substantially revised and updated to include the results of nearly all Mlle Lenglen's tournament matches from 1912 to 1926, plus many interesting photographs never previously published.
That's great news! I'll check when I get home, but at over 200 pages it's substantially longer than the older edition I have. I had the good luck to talk with Alan Little when I visited the Wimbledon museum a few year's back. At
the time he was still trying to track down Suzanne's results, particularly from her pro tour in the US.

We must get ahold of this.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #22
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
From her loss in 1921 to Molla Mallory at forest Hills until 1926 she won 171 straight singles matches.
More than 125 of these matches were on clay?
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM   #23
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
More than 125 of these matches were on clay?
Yes. More than 90% of Suzanne's results were on clay. Probably the greatest "knock" on Lenglen was that most her matches were played on the French Riviera on clay. As Lenglen grew up on the Riviera it gave her a built in advantage.

Suzanne did enter many Continental events, but these were all on clay. She never once entered a singles event indoors-which is also true of Helen Wills. Even grass court events were rare for Lenglen. Outside of Wimbledon she did not enter a grass court event with the exception of her 1921 entry in the US Chmps. In 1921 the combination of unfamiliar conditions (many said US grass courts were very fast), illness, and the inspired play of Molla Mallory led to Suzanne retiring a set down. This was her only defeat after losing as a young teen in 1914.

Anyone who ever witnessed Lenglen in person had no doubts about her ability to compete with later generations. While we have to take their biases into account the same can be said of us. The other thing to recall is that to a person everyone remarks on her genius. What footage exists tends to back up that assessment.

In the final analysis she whether or not she "deserves" her records for longest clay court runs (and probably greatest consecutive wins overall) they are hers. The fates weren't always kind though-the fact that the slams were not established in her era has kept her slam count lower in some quarters, and the controversy of Wimbledon in 1926 ended her amateur career prematurely.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #24
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Lenglen's clay court streak reached 276 consecutive singles matches. This started in 1914 after she lost to Mrs Broquedis at the French Nationals. Between 1914 and 1926 she didn't lose at all on clay. Suzanne finished 1926 unbeaten, meaning her streak was ended by retirement.

It should be noted the Suzanne defaulted several times during the streak-in none of these matches was a single ball struck.
Old Oct 12th, 2010, 01:00 PM   #25

I'd like to see a list of those matches, like we did in the Chris Evert thread.
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #26
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Quote:
I'd like to see a list of those matches, like we did in the Chris Evert thread.
I completed her full results for 1921 today.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Oct 9 Madison Square Garden. (13,000) won 6-1 6-1
Oct 10 """""" (6,000)
Toronto
Baltimore
Boston
Philadelphia

Feb ?? Newark
Feb 11 Newark doubles only
Feb 12 Brooklyn doubles only
Feb 14 Providence doubles only

Left for France on Feb 19, 1927
Lili d'Alvarez said at the beginning of Lenglen's professional tour that while Mary Browne is the equal of nearly every other female player in the world, she never will succeed in winning a large score against Suzanne Lenglen. "For my part, I would never give a pesta to see a Browne-Lenglen match. If Miss Elizabeth Ryan were playing, it would be another matter."

According to the tour's business manager, William Pickens, on January 29, 1927, the amount of Lenglen's guarantee for the tour was $50,000 ($644,920 in June 2011 dollars, according to the consumer price index) plus 50 percent of the net gate receipts, which according to published reports was at least $50,000. Browne's guarantee was $30,000 ($386,952 in June 2011 dollars) plus 6 percent of the net gate receipts or at least $6,000 ($77,390 in June 2011 dollars). The tour promoter, C. C. Pyle, said that the total guarantees for the 6 touring players (4 men, 2 women) were $142,500 ($1,838,022 in June 2011 dollars). Pickens said that Pyle's profit, exclusive of royalties, was between $50,000 and $75,000.

After French and U.S. income taxes on assumed income of $100,000, Lenglen netted $45-50,000. http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...uzanne+lenglen

The tour reportedly visited 40 cities. Lenglen lost 2 sets to Browne in singles.

October 9: New York City, Madison Square Garden, 13,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-1, 6-1

October 10: New York City, Madison Square Garden, 3,500 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-2, 6-1
Mixed doubles: Vincent Richards / Lenglen d. Harvey Snodgrass / Browne 6-2

Browne was up a break in the first set at 2-1.

October 12: Toronto, The Arena, 500 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-0, 6-2
Mixed doubles: Snodgrass / Browne d. Richards / Lenglen 6-2

October 14: Baltimore, Fifth Regiment Armory, 5,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-0, 6-0

October 18: Boston, Boston Arena, 8,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-2, 6-1
Mixed doubles: Richards / Lenglen d. Paul Feret / Browne

October 19: Philadelphia, Sesqui-Centennial Auditorium, 3,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-2, 6-2

October 23: Montreal, The Forum
Lenglen d. Browne 6-1, 6-1
Mixed doubles: Richards / Browne d. Feret / Lenglen 8-6

October 26: Buffalo, New York, Broadway Auditorium
Results unknown.

October 28: Cleveland, Ohio, Public Auditorium, 8,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-1, 6-2

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Exact date and results unknown.

November 4: Columbus, Ohio, Fair Grounds Coliseum, 4,000 attendance
Results unknown.

Cincinnati, Ohio

November 9: Detroit, 4,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-3, 6-2
Mixed doubles: Feret / Lenglen d. Howard Kinsey / Browne 7-5

November 18: Chicago, Chicago Coliseum, 6,500 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 7-5, 6-1
Mixed doubles: Richards / Lenglen d. Snodgrass / Browne 7-5

After a pre-match, on-court altercation between Lenglen and a photographer, Browne won the first 4 games of the match and earned a $200 bonus from C. C. Pyle.

November 24: Wichita, Kansas
Lenglen d. Browne 6-3, 7-5

Browne had a set point while serving at 5-4 in the second set.

Denver, Colorado

December 1: Willows Arena, Victoria, British Columbia
Lenglen d. Browne 6-1 (one set only)
Mixed doubles: Snodgrass / Lenglen d. Kinsey / Browne 7-5

December 2: The Arena, Vancouver, British Columbia
Lenglen d. Browne 6-2, 6-2
Mixed doubles: Kinsey / Browne d. Feret / Lenglen 6-2

Seattle, Washington

December 5: Portland, Oregon, Portland Coliseum
Browne d. Lenglen 9-11, retired

Lenglen took a 5-1 lead before Browne tied at 5-5. Tour officials said that the first set was the "hardest fought" of the entire tour, with Browne getting within 2 points from winning the set. Lenglen was reported to have a head cold, although she reportedly told C. C. Pyle immediately after the match that she wanted to go back to France immediately.

December 7: San Francisco, Civic Auditorium, 4,000 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 8-6, 6-2
Mixed doubles: Richards / Lenglen d. Snodgrass / Browne 6-2

While in San Francisco, it was reported that Browne receives a bonus for every game she wins from Lenglen.

December 9: Oakland, Municipal Auditorium, 2,200 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-2, 7-5
Mixed doubles: Snodgrass / Lenglen d. Kinsey / Browne 6-4

Helen Wills Moody and Helen Jacobs were in attendance, with the former meeting with Lenglen earlier in the day.

December 28: Los Angeles, Grand Olympic Auditorium
Lenglen d. Browne 6-0, 6-1

January 2: San Antonio, Texas, Municipal Auditorium, 465 attendance
Lenglen d. Browne 6-3, 6-1
Mixed doubles: Kinsey / Browne d. Snodgrass / Lenglen 7-5

Browne led in the first set 3-2. Lenglen then "ran Miss Browne to defeat, shooting the ball into one corner, then into the other as the little American girl raced back and forth making brilliant but hopeless returns, seldom getting a chance to place shots herself." Lenglen never went to the net voluntarily. They played on a green canvas court that had a noticeable slant. Tickets cost $4.40 ($53), $3.30 ($40), $2.20 ($27), and $1.10 ($13) (2009 dollars in parentheses).

January 4: Dallas, Texas
Results unknown.

January 6: Houston, Texas, City Auditorium
Lenglen d. Browne with the loss of 4 games.

January 11: New Orleans, Louisiana (outdoors)
Lenglen d. Browne with the loss of 4 games.

January 15: Atlanta, Georgia, Municipal Auditorium
Lenglen d. Browne 6-4, 6-2
Mixed doubles: Richards / Lenglen versus Kinsey / Browne (result unknown)

While in Atlanta, Lenglen reportedly said that Helen Wills Moody was getting too fat to be a tennis star.

January 23: Miami, Florida, Biscayne Fronton
Results unknown.

Molla Bjurstedt Mallory practiced with Browne while she was in Miami. Lenglen and Bjurstedt Mallory barely spoke to each other when they met there.

Havana, Cuba

February 9: Hartford, Connecticut, State Armory
Browne d. Lenglen 6-3 (not clear if this was a scheduled one-set match)
Mixed doubles: Lenglen did not play because of tonsilitis

February 10: Newark, New Jersey
Mixed doubles: Richards / Lenglen d. Kinsey / Browne 6-3, 6-4

February 11: New Haven, Connecticut, New Haven Sports Arena
Lenglen played but the results are unknown.

February 12: Brooklyn, New York, 23rd Regiment Armory,"handful" of spectators
Singles result unknown.
Mixed doubles: Snodgrass / Browne d. Kinsey / Lenglen

They played on a "specially constructed cork and rubber court over which is stretched a heavy resin-coated canvas."

February 14: Providence, Rhode Island, Rhode Island Auditorium, sparse attendance
No singles (Lenglen too fatigued and physically unfit)
Doubles (men against mixed): Kinsey / Snodgrass d. Richards / Lenglen 6-4

Lenglen sailed back home on the French liner France and arrived in Le Havre, France on February 26.

Last edited by austinrunner : Nov 27th, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old Oct 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #28
country flag calou

calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future calou has a brilliant future

Thanks for celebrate OUR Champ !
My grandfather was totaly in love when he spoke of her,she was so gracious and "aérienne " !times are changing
calou is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #29

Lenglen while winning the World Hard Court Championships in 1914:

Tafadhali usijisumbue kugusa mwili wangu ulioza!
Old Jul 17th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #30
country flag Sam L
Sunset, Moonrise, Winter

Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute Sam L has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She never once entered a singles event indoors-which is also true of Helen Wills.
That's good. Indoor tennis is vile. It is against the spirit and history of lawn tennis.

It's disturbing to me how someone has put on Wikipedia that Suzanne Lenglen's World Hard Court Championship wins were Grand Slams. That is historical revisionism at its worst.

I also think that the French National Championship winners from 1891 (mens) should be included as Grand Slam winners. After all, wasn't the early US National Championship operating on the same basis as the French? I.e. open only to members of the national clubs?

The idea of the Grand Slam is to hold the national championships of Australia, France, United Kingdom and United States at the same time. We should never forget that.