On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro, the #1 Sunshine Queen - Page 70 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:22 AM   #1036
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Oh, I agree that either Serena or Venus could win Wimbledon. They have both shown in the past that they are capable of winning slams with very little preparation but I just don't think it is going to happen at Wimbledon this year.

With Serena it's hard to assess her fitness. I have no idea what kind of long lasting effects an embolism has but it did directly impact her lungs which is obviously crucial for an athlete. Serena was noticeably winded in both of her matches this week. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that she wasn't match fit. If that's true she will get better with each match she plays and should eventually be a threat to win more slams. However, if it is an ongoing medical condition it could end her career. I think that is unlikely but it is a possibility. We will have to wait and see.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #1037
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute
Re: On the Concept of Irony w/ Continual Reference to Caro:Off-topic 4 the POPULAR #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Oh, I agree that either Serena or Venus could win Wimbledon. They have both shown in the past that they are capable of winning slams with very little preparation but I just don't think it is going to happen at Wimbledon this year.
The one thing I'm sure of is that every player regards playing Venus or Serena at Wimbledon especially - even though they've just come back from injury - as about the toughest match they can get. And if they win their match against either - they'll be even more thrilled than against any other player.

Fitness wise it was really weird with Serena in that last set against Vera. She looked like she had no energy until she was down 5-2 and then had all the energy in the world till 5-5 and then went back to no energy.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #1038
country flag SwissMiss19

SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold SwissMiss19 is a splendid one to behold

I wish with all my might that Serena or Venus get trashed out of Wimbledon..those classless broads don't have a place in tennis

"You must suck in real life, cause online you are too awesome! " --------

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
SwissMiss19 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #1039
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post

With Serena it's hard to assess her fitness. I have no idea what kind of long lasting effects an embolism has but it did directly impact her lungs which is obviously crucial for an athlete. Serena was noticeably winded in both of her matches this week. I suspect it had more to do with the fact that she wasn't match fit. If that's true she will get better with each match she plays and should eventually be a threat to win more slams. However, if it is an ongoing medical condition it could end her career. I think that is unlikely but it is a possibility. We will have to wait and see.
Though I'm not a huge fan of hers,I admire all that Ree has done for the women's game,and I'd be sad if she pushed herself too hard and dropped dead on the tennis court

On to less morbid stuff....We have a precise term for Mexicans who go to the U.S. and deny their heritage and act as if they were ashamed of it.....There would be some profane terms,too,of course...but they would be used in addition to the general one.Do you Canucks have any nicknames for pathetic Canadians who constantly yammer about how life in the U.S. is supposedly so much better...while running down Canada at any chance they get??I'm not saying that there are MANY of those sorry lowlifes,but you've got to have at least a handful

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
bruce goose is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #1040
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Just browsed.. click error into the pictures thread in GM. From just seeing the last couple of pages, I understand the very tall Russian, who looks WAY older than her age, dressed in a Star Trek uniform, was by far the best looking #thingsIjustdon'tget

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 09:46 AM   #1041
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
The one thing I'm sure of is that every player regards playing Venus or Serena at Wimbledon especially - even though they've just come back from injury - as about the toughest match they can get. And if they win their match against either - they'll be even more thrilled than against any other player.

Fitness wise it was really weird with Serena in that last set against Vera. She looked like she had no energy until she was down 5-2 and then had all the energy in the world till 5-5 and then went back to no energy.
Beating Serena last year at Roland Garros arguably gave Sam Stosur a pretty huge boost. It wasn't quite enough to win it but she had a great run. I can easily see something similar happening at Wimbledon. Even if they are not at their best any player will be thrilled to get a win over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss19 View Post
I wish with all my might that Serena or Venus get trashed out of Wimbledon..those classless broads don't have a place in tennis
Yikes! The incident at the 2009 US Open was unfortunate but otherwise they seem reasonably classy to me. Full marks for use of the word "broads."

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:10 AM   #1042
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce goose View Post
Though I'm not a huge fan of hers,I admire all that Ree has done for the women's game,and I'd be sad if she pushed herself too hard and dropped dead on the tennis court

On to less morbid stuff....We have a precise term for Mexicans who go to the U.S. and deny their heritage and act as if they were ashamed of it.....There would be some profane terms,too,of course...but they would be used in addition to the general one.Do you Canucks have any nicknames for pathetic Canadians who constantly yammer about how life in the U.S. is supposedly so much better...while running down Canada at any chance they get??I'm not saying that there are MANY of those sorry lowlifes,but you've got to have at least a handful
I'm not sure if we do have a similar word. I think we have a very different relationship with them than your country does. There is a history of conflict but most of that was between the British and Americans with us caught in the middle. Since 1867 when we officially became a country we have had a very close relationship with America, mostly built on the trade relationship (we are each other's best customer). Understandably there is probably still some ill will on your nation's part due to the Mexican-American War and having parts of your country "annexed" by the Americans. Then there was Pancho Villa and much more recently the War on Drugs and the immigration debate. In recent years the biggest debate between Canada and the U.S. has been the softwood lumber dispute. Yes, even our conflicts are boring!

Traditionally we have had a pretty huge inferiority complex regarding our American cousins. There's a real sense of anything we can do they can do better. I'm sure that is why we cling so tightly to hockey. The win over the Americans at the most recent Olympics was a huge deal here. Sadly, we were probably the only nation on the planet that was even paying attention but we need to make the most of our "victories."

Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #1043
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Few days ago, Caro was 18-20 for SW19 glory. Now she's down to 11.5-12 FFS

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 17th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #1044
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Having enjoyed so many Benny Hill episodes,I know w/o a doubt that a mirthful spirit lurks within the UK somewhere,so I'm holding out hope that someone will draw on the draw.......crayon,magic marker,chalk...doesn't matter

Semi-retired tennis fan praying for a Culture of Accountability from the Pathetic Enabler, the WTA

Soccer=the RCC and Islam in terms of brainwashed,mindless fanatics who'll kill and maim for their stupid religion
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #1045
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan66 View Post
You can call it 'tabloid' or not. None of it is incorrect though and probably best we just agree to disagree about Bendtner
So we should believe all that is written about Woz too? and the Bendtner player description you gave? I don't see the difference between that and GM's version of our Caroline. As for his Caroline, I met her 3 weeks ago at a charity do.

Like a player or not, please afford him the respect you would ask for our Caroline ok?
Burisleif is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #1046
country flag Frederik

Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute Frederik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burisleif View Post
So we should believe all that is written about Woz too? and the Bendtner player description you gave? I don't see the difference between that and GM's version of our Caroline. As for his Caroline, I met her 3 weeks ago at a charity do.

Like a player or not, please afford him the respect you would ask for our Caroline ok?
I'm sorry but Bendtner is pretty much the definition of a scrub (exaggeration). He makes Mario Gomez look like Messi.
Frederik is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 01:32 PM   #1047
country flag bruce goose

Congratulations to Vinci on her first grass-court title;she strikes me as an admirable,hardworking overachiever

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 04:56 PM   #1048
country flag terjw

terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute terjw has a reputation beyond repute

So who was pleased that Marion won Eastbourne. I think she coped with those really windy conditions in her two matches today so well. So I'm glad she won. Also SF the last 5 years. Nice to see her finally win it.

Petra was really coming back strong though and I honestly thought she was going to win until that diasastrous game se served 3dfs - and it wasn't even a long game with multiple deuces.

Chris Evert, Steffi Graf, Kim Clijsters
terjw is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 06:40 PM   #1049
country flag Protoss

Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute Protoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by postalblowfish View Post
Both, please.
Super 8 is about this group of kids in 1979 who witness this mysterious train crash and what happens after that.

It was dissapointing in that the story didn't focus much on the monster and focused on the kids instead. I was under the impression that it was going to focus on the monster. It was still very good though.
Protoss is online now View My Blog!  
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 07:01 PM   #1050
country flag DownInAHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by terjw View Post
So who was pleased that Marion won Eastbourne. I think she coped with those really windy conditions in her two matches today so well. So I'm glad she won. Also SF the last 5 years. Nice to see her finally win it.

Petra was really coming back strong though and I honestly thought she was going to win until that diasastrous game se served 3dfs - and it wasn't even a long game with multiple deuces.
Bit of an odd final set. After Marion took the injury timeout I kind of expected Petra to pull away and then she had that service game where she lost focus and Marion pulled ahead. Then I believe that Marion was broken and at that point it didn't necessarily appear that either one of them wanted to win it.

I know that at least one person that frequents this forum is going to be happy with this result.

Closed Thread