Weeks at #1 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

View Poll Results: How many weeks do you expect Caro to top the rankings?

>377 weeks 3 7.89%
333-377 weeks 0 0%
261-332 weeks 1 2.63%
210-260 weeks 3 7.89%
179-209 weeks 2 5.26%
124-178 weeks 10 26.32%
118-123 weeks 3 7.89%
99-117 weeks 4 10.53%
40-98 weeks 10 26.32%
27-39 weeks 2 5.26%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #1
country flag QuietPlease

QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future
Weeks at #1

This week is Caroline's 27th week atop the WTA ranking, thereby surpassing Dinara's 26.
According to the WTA Caroline has secured the #1 spot at least until May 16th (31 weeks).
But considering she hasn't that many points to defend until August 22nd when her 900 Montreal points is dropped, I can't see anyone taking the top spot earlier than that (August 15th = 44th week).

I know the future is hard to tell, but how high do you expect her to climb on the list of #1s during her career?

1 Steffi Graf 377 weeks
2 Martina Navratilova 332 weeks
3 Chris Evert 260 weeks
4 Martina Hingis 209 weeks
5 Monica Seles 178 weeks
6 Serena Williams 123 weeks
7 Justine Henin 117 weeks
8 Lindsay Davenport 98 weeks
9 Amélie Mauresmo 39 weeks
10 Caroline Wozniacki 27 weeks

2006 Year End #237 - 2007 Year End #64 - 2008 Year End #12 - 2009 Year End #4

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

2012 Year End #10 - 2013 Year End #10

Last edited by QuietPlease : Apr 18th, 2011 at 01:13 AM.
QuietPlease is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #2
country flag QuietPlease

QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future QuietPlease has a brilliant future
Re: Weeks at #1

I voted 124-178 weeks.

Obviously I think she will pass Amélie in July. Then there's a big gap to Lindsay, but once there Serena's not that far away
(then again, Serena could still add to her total)

I reckon topping the ranks more than 3 years (156 weeks) is very, very difficult. I suppose many would have said Hingis had a fair chance of catching Steffi, yet she was so far from it - over 3 years short (168 weeks). You never know what's going to happen.

Happy guessing

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

Last edited by QuietPlease : Apr 18th, 2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM   #3
country flag poulao

poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of poulao has much to be proud of

This is difficult to be realistic about. It would be more down to earth, to have 1 or 2 years as a starter.
poulao is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #4
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

It's impossible to say with any degree of certainty. As things stand right now with Clijsters and the WSs probably not playing beyond 2012 I could well see Caro be #1 for something like 5 years. The only other current player with results consistently at Caro's level is Zvonareva but she turns 27 this year and I don't see her getting much stronger than she is now while Caro's still rising.
The only player in Caros age group even approaching her level is Azarenka. She's had very good results lately but I'm still not convinced she has the mental and physical stability to maintain this level.
And you never know when a new superstar will burst onto the scene from the junior ranks, but with the physical demands of the game these days we're not likely to see a new Graf or Hingis. The days of players below the age of 18 competing at top 5 level is over, I think.
The most likely thing to trip up Caro's career is injury. Any player can get a serious injury at any time. And she IS playing a rather heavy schedule with a game that involves long matches with lots of running. Caro has an excellent physique and has avoided serious injuries so far but it may catch up with her in a few years unless she cuts her schedule some in the future.
And then of course there's the question of motivation. If Caro wins everything there is to win in the next few years - she well could - she may start to lose interest and not have a very long career or only play the big events like Serena and be overtaken by a new 'Wozniacki'. The Olympics will be an important factor in that regard. If Caro doesn't win in London next year I think she'll maintain her motivation at least until Rio 2016.
She has also mentioned a desire to have children. She may meet a wonderful man and want to start a family. Will it happen at 24? 27? 30? There's no telling.

But, if all things turn out well for Caro: her game continues to develop, no serious injuries, no problems with motivation etc. I see Caro maintaining her #1 ranking almost unbroken for the next 5 years!

Last edited by C. W. Fields : Apr 18th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
C. W. Fields is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #5
country flag QuietPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. W. Fields View Post
It's impossible to say with any degree of certainty. As things stand right now with Clijsters and the WSs probably not playing beyond 2012 I could well see Caro be #1 for something like 5 years. The only other current player with results consistently at Caro's level is Zvonareva but she turns 27 this year and I don't see her getting much stronger than she is now while Caro's still rising.
The only player in Caros age group even approaching her level is Azarenka. She's had very good results lately but I'm still not convinced she has the mental and physical stability to maintain this level.
And you never know when a new superstar will burst onto the scene from the junior ranks, but with the physical demands of the game these days we're not likely to see a new Graf or Hingis. The days of players below the age of 18 competing at top 5 level is over, I think.
The most likely thing to trip up Caro's career is injury. Any player can get a serious injury at any time. And she IS playing a rather heavy schedule with a game that involves long matches with lots of running. Caro has an excellent physique and has avoided serious injuries so far but it may catch up with her in a few years unless she cuts her schedule some in the future.
And then of course there's the question of motivation. If Caro wins everything there is to win in the next few years - she well could - she may start to lose interest and not have a very long career or only play the big events like Serena and be overtaken by a new 'Wozniacki'. The Olympics will be an important factor in that regard. If Caro doesn't win in London next year I think she'll maintain her motivation at least until Rio 2016.
She has also mentioned a desire to have children. She may meet a wonderful man and want to start a family. Will it happen at 24? 27? 30? There's no telling.

But, if all things turn out well for Caro: her game continues to develop, no serious injuries, no problems with motivation etc. I see Caro maintaining her #1 ranking almost unbroken for the next 5 years!
True, let's hope the injury bug doesn't catch Caroline. But all athletes can get injured.

We must also remember that falling into a slump is only human. And keeping the top spot while in a slump is not realistic. So while she's likely a contender for the #1 spot for several years, she may have to swap it with Zvonareva or Azarenka or whoever from time to time. Only 7 players have held the #1 rank more than 52 weeks in a row, and only 3 players have held it more than 104 weeks in a row (Graf, Nav, Evert). Steffi has the record with 186 weeks in a row (Aug ´87 - Mar ´91).

Longest streaks, 52+ weeks:

1 Steffi Graf 186 (also 94 & 87)
2 Martina Navratilova 156 (also 90)
3 Chris Evert 113 (also 76)
4 Monica Seles 91 (also 64)
5 Martina Hingis 80 (also 73)
6 Justine Henin 61
7 Serena Williams 57

Getting on that short list would be cool

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #6
country flag bruce goose

bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute bruce goose has a reputation beyond repute

Caroline will stay #1 long enough to please the more level-headed skeptics and erase their doubts....As for pleasing GM trolls,well...To put it gently,SOME opinions are less worth worrying about than others

Ste. Kim, we didn't have you for long enough, but we appreciate what you gave us

Fare thee well, Li
bruce goose is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #7
country flag backhandsmash

backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute backhandsmash has a reputation beyond repute

Reaching Seles and Hingis would be an incredible achievement, but I'm not sure if it's possible. The top 3 I definitely think is out of reach, though.

Buuut, she has surprised us before, so who knows.
backhandsmash is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #8
country flag Burisleif

Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute Burisleif has a reputation beyond repute

Considering Caroline wants a family at some point I would estimate no.5 in the list as a viable goal. Further there must come a point in a tennis career when you start to think Déjà vu every day? another 160 weeks over 5 years, then retire to do other things... Only time will tell.
Burisleif is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 12:43 AM   #9
country flag QuietPlease

30 and counting

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

Old May 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #10
country flag C. W. Fields

C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute C. W. Fields has a reputation beyond repute

Kim just lost her 2R match. That pretty much guarantess Caro'll stay #1 until at least HC summer season unless Vera wins both FO and Wimbledon.
Old May 30th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #11
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Vera can't be No. 1 after Wimbledon as she defend F points, but as she lost early in RG it won't matter anyway.

But still Kim can still be No. 1 after Wimby, but Caro "only" needs to win 2 rounds...

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #12
country flag Jorn
Good Luck Caro in 2014!

Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute Jorn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kim just lost her 2R match. That pretty much guarantess Caro'll stay #1 until at least HC summer season
Caro will now stay No. 1 atleast untill August or when her Canada Open points drop off...

Caroline Wozniacki Result page
Caroline Wozniacki tennis Forums
Jorn is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2011, 06:50 AM   #13
country flag QuietPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorn View Post
Caro will now stay No. 1 atleast untill August or when her Canada Open points drop off...
That's right. After Kim's (2nd) 2nd round loss no one can catch Caro at Wimbledon.
So she'll overtake Amelie for sure... Lindsay next?

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1

Old Jun 15th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #14
country flag DownInAHole

DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute DownInAHole has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietPlease View Post
That's right. After Kim's (2nd) 2nd round loss no one can catch Caro at Wimbledon.
So she'll overtake Amelie for sure... Lindsay next?
Hopefully, but even if Caroline is number one for another whole year she still will not catch Lindsay. If she manages that it will be a fantastic accomplishment for her.

Rock 'n' Roll Is Alive! (And It Lives In Minneapolis)
DownInAHole is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2011, 08:49 PM   #15
country flag QuietPlease

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInAHole View Post
Hopefully, but even if Caroline is number one for another whole year she still will not catch Lindsay. If she manages that it will be a fantastic accomplishment for her.
True the gap between Lindsay and Amelie is big. 59 weeks - over a year. Obviously we don't know who's #1 14 months from now, but Caro should be safe for a couple of months. Here's the top 5 with 2010 Wimbledon points off:

1 Caro 9635
2 Kim 7715
3 Vera 6535
4 Li 5755
5 Vika 5565

Kim has withdrawn from Wimbledon and gets 0 points. So no matter what happens Caro will be at least 1100 points ahead post Wimbledon. Actually, chances are she'll have a 2000+ lead after Wimby.

I see Caro at #1 at least until the USO. And I think she will be YE #1 again.

2010 Year End #1
2011 Year End #1