Tennisrecruiting.net Top Women's Classes - 2011 Spring Rankings - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #1
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all
Tennisrecruiting.net Top Women's Classes - 2011 Spring Rankings

http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1135

Rank School
1 Duke (9)
2 USC (8)
3 UCLA
4 Michigan
5 Tennessee
6 Oklahoma State
7 Stanford
8 Purdue
9 Brown
T-10 Indiana
T-10 Illinois
12 Auburn
13 Georgia
14 North Carolina
15 Arizona State
16 Princeton
17 Florida State
18 Mississippi
19 Pepperdine
20 Columbia
21 Yale
22 Virginia
23 Stephen F. Austin
24 Georgia Tech
25 Iowa
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #2
country flag mboyle

mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute mboyle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Tennisrecruiting.net Top Women's Classes - 2011 Spring Rankings

BOO YA! Numbah one, baby! Gimmie that thurrr Capra, Goldfield, Turewicz, and Mulholland Drive!
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #3
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Mid-majors...

http://tennisrecruiting.net/article.asp?id=1206

1 Stephen F. Austin
2 Long Beach State
3 Pepperdine
4 St. Mary's (CA)
5 Hawaii
6 Coll. of Charleston
7 Miami (OH)
8 Loyola Marymount
9 North Texas
10 Washington & Lee
11 Boston U
12 Richmond
13 UC Santa Barbara
14 UNC Asheville
15 Army
16 UC Irvine
17 Eastern Michigan
18 Ball State
19 Montana
20 Wofford
21 Charlotte
22 Johns Hopkins
23 Houston
24 Gonzaga
25 UMass
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #4
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Just saying, tr is a great tool, but I don't project its accuracy with digital precision.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #5
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

Nice to see the Beach with another strong recruiting class. I have a question on the mid major rankings. How can Pepperdine ranked 19 in the overall rankings, slightly ahead of 23 Stephen F. Austin, be behind in the mid major poll: 1 Stephen F. Austin, 2 LBSU and 3 Pepperdine.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #6
country flag 10sE

Weird...and good question.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe in the main ranking Americans are given higher value. It is nice to see them being more "fair" in giving internationals consideration. In the past the rankings were based purely on American girls, so you had all of the ivies constantly in the top 25 recruiting classes and never even near the top 25 of the ITA rankings. I can't say I blame TR. It is bad business after for an American recruiting page used almost exclusively by American coaches and American players to be ranking international classes higher than American ones.

The lack of precision in recruiting rankings happens in other sports too. I read that the highest number of National Football League first round draft picks were three stars. Part of that of course is because there are many more three stars than there are five stars but it seems that the five stars don't pan out as much as one would think. Tracking the blue chips, etc. on the other thread will be interesting. All that a recruiting guru can tell you is a player's current level and as far as that goes I think that they are fairly accurate, using computers, head-to-head, and such. Of course this says nothing about work ethic, ceiling, health, etc. So yes, all the rankings are is a panel's opinion, but they are interesting.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 07:14 PM   #7
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Weird...and good question.

The lack of precision in recruiting rankings happens in other sports too. I read that the highest number of National Football League first round draft picks were three stars. Part of that of course is because there are many more three stars than there are five stars but it seems that the five stars don't pan out as much as one would think. Tracking the blue chips, etc. on the other thread will be interesting. All that a recruiting guru can tell you is a player's current level and as far as that goes I think that they are fairly accurate, using computers, head-to-head, and such. Of course this says nothing about work ethic, ceiling, health, etc. So yes, all the rankings are is a panel's opinion, but they are interesting.
In some ways the lack of precision in the tr rankings, creates some of the fun. It gives us a chance to reasonably believe, that we can have a better formed opinion than the authorities.

But what to do with our "better formed" opinions seems to be creating something of an etiquette issue. To try to say, I think that tr is overrating a certain player, can easily come across as too negative, and perhaps unfair to that player.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #8
country flag form

form has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCB View Post
Nice to see the Beach with another strong recruiting class. I have a question on the mid major rankings. How can Pepperdine ranked 19 in the overall rankings, slightly ahead of 23 Stephen F. Austin, be behind in the mid major poll: 1 Stephen F. Austin, 2 LBSU and 3 Pepperdine.
The first set of rankings (national) was used prior to LB announcing their signings in late May. The second set (mid major) began being tabulated after they were announced. Please note that LB may have announced their signings prior to that national list being posted but the info to use had already been sent to the 'rankers' prior to that date.

Similarly, UCLA would jump a lot with the recent signing of another blue chipper for next year.

And a lot of schools have not announced anyone yet. Mid majors in CA: SD State, Cal Poly, CS Northrige, Pacific all have spots still available and no doubt will fill with either late signings or transfers.

These rankings are only as good as the info available at the time they are judged.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote