2011-2012 recruiting - "speculation only" - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 6th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #46
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: 2011-2012 recruiting - "speculation only"

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
She has already given a verbal to Rice.
Well if you know more verbals please don't hold back.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 25th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #47
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all

Renata Arshavskaya (Russia) - blue chip

International rumor has it Renata Arshavskaya has a high interest in Columbia. This was before her twin sister Adel recently gave a verbal to Columbia.

Old Apr 17th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #48
country flag Embittered

Embittered has disabled reputation

Has Katie Gater had enough of warming the bench at Virginia: http://www.youtube.com/user/kcg6mc?
Embittered is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 12:18 PM   #49
country flag gouci

Katie Gater didn't even play in 1 dual match for Virginia.

The Virginia coach must have told her something that inspired the creation of that recruiting video.
Old May 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #50
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10sE View Post
Rumor has it that Kelsey Sundaram is transferring from Arkansas to Texas A&M. She was a 5-star recruit in the class of 2009 and was ranked #201 ITF.
I'm reposting this here. Thanks for the rumor 10sE.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #51
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute

SHame Katie was frozen out. I thought she'd have a good college career.

Laura Slater also hasn't gotten many games at college.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #52
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_masterton View Post
SHame Katie was frozen out. I thought she'd have a good college career.

Laura Slater also hasn't gotten a game at college.
What does "frozen out" mean in this context??
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #53
country flag paul_masterton

paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute paul_masterton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
What does "frozen out" mean in this context??
as in she's been left out the team all season. Can't really see why either, she didn't have a great first 6months, but should be a solid lower end player here at 5 or 6. Just weird she hasn't played a single match, and now appears on a recruiting video. As if she's been told she'll not play for the team again.
paul_masterton is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 09:21 PM   #54
country flag tennisbuddy12
College Tennis/Team USA expert

tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute tennisbuddy12 has a reputation beyond repute

No, I don't think she's being kicked off. I know she is taking visits to other schools, but she loves UVA. The only thing she doesn't like is the tennis (I don't know if it is a team problem or if she isn't happy with the lack of playing time). She probably signed a release so she can talk to other schools (she can change her mind and go back to UVA) and UVA is just helping her get her name out there. Coaches usually help transfers find other schools.

tennisbuddy12 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #55
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

I don't know anything about this particular case, but I think it can be a hard blow to the confidence of a player with some ITF and junior success to be slotted at #7 or #8. And then further hurting their game to just sit and watch when the team plays matches.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #56
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

I have heard the UVA coach is very tough and runs a very disciplined, no-nonsense program. A lot of junior players are used to being the boss and since they are paying their coaches, many of them are the boss when it comes to practices and such. Many college coaches are just like junior coaches and simply keep the players happy while trying to develop them at whatever pace they are able to. Other coaches take a different approach. More like "I am the one paying you now so get with the program or get lost".

I don't know the particulars of this case either but I have known several former players of the UVA coach and they either loved him or hated him based on the above. He does have a high turnover and she is not the first player to leave UVA in recent years. It is hard to argue with his results however, both at UVA and Kentucky. One must also remember that coaches want to win and logically unless the girl is a gigantic pain in the rear AND/OR she just doesn't have the talent to help the team out, they will not simply "freeze her out".

I am not implying that she's a brat or that she's no good. I am simply saying it is likely that she either did not buy into his methods or that after evaluating her talent and work ethic up close he didn't believe she had the potential to help the team.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #57
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
I have heard the UVA coach is very tough and runs a very disciplined, no-nonsense program. A lot of junior players are used to being the boss and since they are paying their coaches, many of them are the boss when it comes to practices and such. Many college coaches are just like junior coaches and simply keep the players happy while trying to develop them at whatever pace they are able to. Other coaches take a different approach. More like "I am the one paying you now so get with the program or get lost".

I don't know the particulars of this case either but I have known several former players of the UVA coach and they either loved him or hated him based on the above. He does have a high turnover and she is not the first player to leave UVA in recent years. It is hard to argue with his results however, both at UVA and Kentucky. One must also remember that coaches want to win and logically unless the girl is a gigantic pain in the rear AND/OR she just doesn't have the talent to help the team out, they will not simply "freeze her out".

I am not implying that she's a brat or that she's no good. I am simply saying it is likely that she either did not buy into his methods or that after evaluating her talent and work ethic up close he didn't believe she had the potential to help the team.
Good points, but I'll suggest some more possible explanations, and again say I have no idea if it applies to this particular coach and athlete.

Sometimes, the adjustment to college is hard for any students, including tennis athletes. Some kids become homesick. Some kids get confused with the freedom of drinking on campus. Or maybe a boyfriend / girlfriend problem Other, just may have difficult being on their own, and not having a parent or coach structuring their days. Or maybe, they have trouble managing to do both their school work and tennis practice, and correctly realize that they are going pro in something other than sports.

I don't know if it would get many response, but I'd like to open a thread where we talk about coaches. Do people think that the level of coaching in college tennis is what it should be? Are the coaches paid enough to attract the talent? Different coaching philosophies from different coaches. How could the level of college coaching be improved. etc.
I
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #58
country flag 10sE

10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all 10sE is a name known to all

Yes those are all possibilities but trust me, if a girl is a good enough player the coach will find a way to help her overcome those things. These coaches get paid to win. They aren't going to bend over backwards to get a girl to sign and then bail out on her at the first sign of trouble.

We would really need to know someone closer to the story, but even without the facts, I would be willing to make a large wager that she was either not very dedicated to tennis, not quite good enough, or both.

As far as the thread talking about coaches, that would be an interesting topic and you should start it. It would be much more interesting than "21 year-old freshmen", "100% foreign", and some of the other pathetic threads on here.
10sE is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:04 AM   #59
country flag Amalgamate

Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future Amalgamate has a brilliant future

Quote:
As far as the thread talking about coaches, that would be an interesting topic and you should start it. It would be much more interesting than "21 year-old freshmen", "100% foreign", and some of the other pathetic threads on here.
I find all of those threads informative and very interesting. I think your post is offensive.
Amalgamate is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #60
country flag 2nd_serve

Amalgamate,

I agree with you.

I think that the 21-year old freshman thread is very interesting , and has functioned as a good prompt to raise issues of how our junior and college tennis system can be improved. And, I think a team without any Americans is sad, particularly when it is a state funded school.

Last edited by 2nd_serve : Jun 9th, 2011 at 06:29 AM.