NCAA Tennis Championships, MAY 19-30, 2011, Taube Tennis Center, Stanford University - Page 29 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old May 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM   #421
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all
Re: NCAA Tennis Championships, MAY 19-30, 2011, Taube Tennis Center, Stanford Univers

Good point about the rules permitting a team to move the player only one position per match to following match. But I wonder if would be allowed to if the players sat out during one match. Without looking up specifics, didn't one team accomplish that by sitting a player, and then after a skipped match, the player came back moved two places?
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM   #422
country flag form

form has disabled reputation
Re: NCAA Tennis Championships, MAY 19-30, 2011, Taube Tennis Center, Stanford Univers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd_serve View Post
Good point about the rules permitting a team to move the player only one position per match to following match. But I wonder if would be allowed to if the players sat out during one match. Without looking up specifics, didn't one team accomplish that by sitting a player, and then after a skipped match, the player came back moved two places?
Key to the rule is if the player being moved is jumping two players more so than two spots. The rule is not about 'spots' as much as 'players' from each players previous position. Sitting a player does not than cancel out the previous order. If player A was ahead of player B and player C two weeks ago but misses some matches... she can be reinserted at B, but not directly to C. That would legally take another match.

There is also the periodic issue with a player not yet having played during the season but who is better than others. That player can be slotted into any position so long as it is in the order of 'ability.' In your example, when that player missed a match and then came back two lower, was there a 'new' player in the mix that had not previously been part of the ladder that season?

Last match order was X, Y, Z. Coach can, assuming justified on ability and results, switch Y & X. However a new/injured player enters line up for first time in season. He plays NEW player between Y & X. Under rules, X has only switched spots with one player in past line up. Now, the next match, coach could NOT move X back up to ahead of both Y & NEW. Legal, so long as the coach of the line up in question is playing the 'NEW' player in their proper order of ability on the team.

Lastly, you have A, B, C, D. B misses a match for whatever reason (injury, discipline, a day off). When B returns, B must can not be behind D. Despite missing a match, B must be somewhere near A & C excluding the addition of someone completely new other than A, B, C & D.

You can't just jump two players whether you skip a match or not.

Last edited by form : May 30th, 2011 at 06:37 PM.
form is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 01:40 AM   #423
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

Form, I wanted to ask about this point by private message, but the system would not let me. Is your private messaging turned off??
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:21 AM   #424
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
That was an Instant Classic and I wish more sports fans would take a chance and give college tennis a try. Both matches were great and the Florida comeback was tremendous.

4 1/2 hours of near constant play... one 15 min time out after doubles .... how many other 'athletes' play that long and that hard? I can't name another sport where six kids on each team just go at it for that long... and at such a high level.

As far as excuses, everybody has injuries or odd ball circumstances. Both teams played straight up and the better team in the final narrowly won. At least nothing quirky like a line up manipulation or having an odd ball 9 scholarship player season or anything.

Two teams in both matches went at it and championships were narrowly won. Good stuff.
I totally agree. Attending Cards tennis games was the best ticket in town, when I was living in the Bay Area. Just wish they would televise games more often but we all know where the money is at...
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:27 AM   #425
country flag tie_breaker

tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold tie_breaker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
Stanford submitted the line up with Burdette at $ 4.... You can't move a player two spots in one match without some massive explanation. That move was protested (Florida I would guess; maybe Baylor too) and the NCAA reversed Stanford's line up and by rule would have penalized Stanford (carefully worded letter and small fine, whoopey).

They could have moved Burdette to # 3 legally and won that fight (though her record at # 2 was very good and playing at # 2 is harder than playing at # 3). But the two spot move was (fill in your favorite adjective).

Ironic that ultimately the national championship came down to # 2.
What was the line-up with Burdette at #4? just curious...I was toying an idea in my mind with next year's line-up, with Burdette missing from #1-#3 with the success of Gibbs, Ahn, and Tan...
tie_breaker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:59 AM   #426
country flag 2nd_serve

The PAC-10 Championship tournament was held at Ojai California, and the results there were that Kristie Ahn won the Championship, vs Maria Sanchez, and our blogger here, reports that the de facto final was Gibbs vs. Ahn, that went three sets. The next morning the teams were required to submit their lineups for the NCAA tournament. Stanford submitted a lineup that was consistent with the Ojai results, but different that then order that had been played most of the season. The day after Ojai order of Ahn, Gibbs, Burdette. It seems that some team protested and the lineup was switched back. So, some people speculate what would have happened in the team final competition if the original order had been played.

I don't think that Tan has jumped herself above Burdette, but ain't is something that #5, made it to the finals. But we can have fun speculating about the order next year.
Old May 31st, 2011, 06:04 AM   #427
country flag 2nd_serve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_breaker View Post
I totally agree. Attending Cards tennis games was the best ticket in town, when I was living in the Bay Area. Just wish they would televise games more often but we all know where the money is at...
Its not television, but if they could get the streaming working like MLB.com, it would be fantastic.
Old May 31st, 2011, 11:42 PM   #428
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

lesson?

again, just shows that the 7TH WOMAN is SO important.

Like CAL in 2009, STAN in 2011.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:12 AM   #429
UFGatorFan

UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light UFGatorFan is a glorious beacon of light

Neither Florida or Stanford will be at team indoors next year. I wonder if this has to do with them meeting in the regular season, a match that is already scheduled? The likelihood they could meet 3 times might be more than enough to deter both from participating. Kind of a blow to the team indoors, not to have the top 2 programs there, though.
UFGatorFan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 02:32 AM   #430
country flag 2nd_serve

hmmm, interesting.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 04:05 AM   #431
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

In recent 3 years 2 of the team MVP were so called grinder, counterpuncher, moonballer, pusher, whatever you name it

Reka Zsilinszka of Duke
Lauren Embree of Florida

Could..this be a trend?
Kinda parallel development as Wozniacki becoming #1?

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote