When will Caroline Wozniacki learn that pushing will not make the cut? - Page 4 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #46
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: When will Caroline Pushniacki learn that pushing will not make the cut?

She is not going to change her style. This is her 2nd slam semi in a row, and she had match point.
Nobody would change their style in that situation.
Just play one or 2 points better and you're in a slam final.

Slight improvements here & there. Everyone is trying to improve, not only Caroline.
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #47
country flag Spring Pools

Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute Spring Pools has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I don't know, I actually think she's improving, but against players like Li Na she will always look like a pusher because of how aggressive these players are. Of course there's still a lot of room for her to improve, though, it's just not really her nature to go for winners, I guess.
Wonder what would happen in a match of Caro and Radwanska
Spring Pools is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #48
country flag young_gunner913
Praise thy name.

young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute young_gunner913 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlox View Post
She had match point today. Its not like she was blown out. One good 1st serve from the final.
Why would any 20 year old think that means she has redo her style of play?
Because waiting for her opponents to lose isn't going to cut it all the time.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #49
country flag PLP

PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute PLP has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
She is not going to change her style. This is her 2nd slam semi in a row, and she had match point.
I don't think she has to change her style, just step it up in big points.
She just needs to go for it a tad more. She has the power.

Martina Hingis Forever!!!
PLP is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #50
country flag darrinbaker00
Serena's #1 Hater

darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute darrinbaker00 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BepaMaria View Post
Despite worldwide condemnation on her playing style, Caroline Pushniacki still insists on pushing in matches. In her AO semifinal against Li Na, she was 2 times a break up in the 2nd set and was in winning position but pushed. Eventually, Li won 3-6,7-5,6-3. Her pushing was evident in the 3rd set whereby she had 0 winners. So now the question here is: will Pushniacki ever learn that such a style of play will not win her majors? And if she does wake up, when will it be? Will it be too late?
When will you learn that "pushers" never make it past the club level, let alone #1 on the WTA computer? Will it be too late?
"He who finds a wife finds a good thing, and obtains favor from the Lord." -- Proverbs 18:22

"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard." -- Herb Brooks

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life." -- Muhammad Ali
darrinbaker00 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #51
country flag kman

kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future kman has a brilliant future

Quote:
She had match point today. Its not like she was blown out. One good 1st serve from the final.
Why would any 20 year old think that means she has redo her style of play?
This. Wrong time to make this thread.

Perhaps Caroline choked a little bit after missed MP, but not more than she was able to break back in the third and keep it tight till the end. Most WTA players would've choked much worse after that missed MP, regardless of their playing style.

Up until that matchpoint Caroline was flawless.

CAMELINE WOZNIACKI - THE BEST CAMELTOE ON THE FREE MARKET

Caroline Wozniacki :: Maria Sharapova :: Kim Clijsters
kman is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:09 AM   #52
country flag madmax

madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute madmax has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Slight improvements here & there. Everyone is trying to improve, not only Caroline.
you are still in denial I see...
I guess your case is even more severe than I ever thought
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Sharapova is so popular her owns fans have haters.
madmax is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:10 AM   #53
Serenita

Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute Serenita has a reputation beyond repute

Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech1 View Post
"Jesus take the wheel"
Serenita is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:17 AM   #54
country flag goldenlox

goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute goldenlox has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax View Post
you are still in denial I see...
I guess your case is even more severe than I ever thought
I might look back a few years from now & say it was denial. But right now I think Caro is right there, just has to be more solid on her 1st serve.
Its hard to win majors, but you keep getting match points in slam semis, you should be okay
HEALTH and HAPPINESS to EVERYONE

goldenlox is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #55
country flag silverwhite

silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute silverwhite has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
The bridesmaid in your avatar should learn also.
Come on. Don't insult Vera like that. She can hit hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger67 View Post
I don't like Venus or Urszula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inger67 View Post
If Ula can beat you 6-1, 6-3 then you know you're a mug
silverwhite is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #56
country flag BepaMaria

BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold BepaMaria is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polikarpov View Post
Unless she completely overhaul her stroke production and technique, or improve her transition and net play, her game will remain on plateau. You can't just go up to a defensive player like Karolina and tell her, "Go for your shots. Hit harder. Be more aggressive," because it just doesn't work that way. It's like telling a ballbasher to be more patient, contruct the points, and mix things up.

And the fact that she doesn't have enough court sense compound her problems.
But the problem is that she can play attacking tennis as well. If you saw her 2nd round match against King, she was attacking very well. However, she was pushing too much today and you cannot do that against the better players if you want to win. Why is it that she wasn't aggressive today like in her match against King?
I wish I could be BepaMaria, blessed with the knowledge of who's going to win every Slam before it happens
Pushniacki will remain slamless and never return to the top 5
Biggest Saviour of the WTA: Kim Clijsters 63 76

Last edited by BepaMaria : Jan 27th, 2011 at 06:31 AM.
BepaMaria is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #57
country flag azinna

azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute azinna has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
The funny thing is, she is so defensive about her defensive game.

You have players like Hingis who used to admit she lacked power and wanted to work on that. Or Henin was she was coming up, acknowledging that she lacks aggression on important points. Or Schiavone now. These are all players who are naturally more "defensive-minded".

The difference being, IMO, that all these players had weapons and courtcraft they can use, or force themselves to execute even when under pressure. Wozniacki literally has none. She tries so hard to rationalise that.
Unfortunately for Caro the tour hasn't made it impossible for her to be #1 with her 5-winner style (as it certainly did during Henin's, Hingis', even ASV's time). So in press conferences, she gets those pressure-laced questions about that missing slam, etc. And she's right to defend her style and protect her confidence...while quietly working to improve that aspect of her game.

I say it's obvious to the objective eye that she's been trying to incorporate pace, conviction and winner-producing opportunism in her strokes. But it's also clear that despite her steely sunshine in pressers, the #1 thing is proving a terrible distraction. Truthfully, she should be in the final upswing of her formative period. Instead, her play through much of this month has been shoulder-heavy.

Always on the lookout for a great tennis match.

Last edited by azinna : Jan 27th, 2011 at 02:04 PM.
azinna is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #58
country flag sammy01

sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute sammy01 has a reputation beyond repute

could goldenlox tell me how old caro is again, it has been 30 seconds since the last time i might have forgotten

Kim Clijsters - Supporting the comeback!

I have no other faves, I just hate

Follow me on twitter, I talk lots of shit about tennis - https://twitter.com/#!/Sammyb01
sammy01 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:47 AM   #59
country flag John.
On a Timebomb!

John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute John. has a reputation beyond repute

Is goldenlox Caro's cheerleader
John. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 06:48 AM   #60
country flag Sp!ffy

Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwhite View Post
Come on. Don't insult Vera like that. She can hit hard!
Not in the big matches.
Sp!ffy is offline View My Blog!  
Closed Thread