FED Cup 2011, discussion, commitments etc. - Page 3 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Dec 21st, 2010, 07:56 AM   #31
country flag Kəv.

Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute Kəv. has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FED Cup 2011, discussion, commitments etc.

Australia

QIANG WANG. SHILIN XU. AYUMI MORITA. TAMARINE TANASUGARN.
LESIA TSURENKO. ALIZE LIM. ANA IVANOVIC. JULIA GOERGES.
CASEY DELLACQUA. NAIKTHA BAINS. PRISCILLA HON. DESTANEE AIAVA.
QUEEN ALEJANDRA NANCARREZ
Kəv. is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #32
country flag Inktrailer

Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of Inktrailer has much to be proud of

I'd play.

I'm in Great Britain so that's my natural choice but I'd be happy to represent any country that needed to make up numbers. If Britain already had 4 players, put me in anywhere else

Vika Azarenka // Shahar Peer // Virginie Razzano // Caro Wozniacki// Flavia Pennetta

Elena Baltacha // Katie O'Brien // Anne Keothavong // Sarah Borwell // Melanie South // Naomi Cavaday

Tipping Titles 2010: Miami, Rome, Eastbourne, Stanford
Inktrailer is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 09:43 PM   #33
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

I think british_player's idea is better as a new game Too big for this

But during the Fed Cup weekend I'd like to tip, yeah. Possibly for Norway
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson | Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Weijers
Håkon is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 07:01 PM   #34
country flag JustPetko

JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute JustPetko has a reputation beyond repute

Poland

TT Singles: (CH: #40) W ITF Biella'10, W ITF Nantes'10, W ITF Dubai'12 | TT Doubles: (CH: #1) ITF Nantes'10, ITF Bucharest'10, Marbella'11, Washington'11, Linz'11, YEC'11, ITF Opole'11, Pattaya'12, Tashkent'12, ITF Pune'12, Memphis'13, Carlsbad'13, Marrakesh'14, Washington'14 | Suicide: (CH: #5) W Luxembourg'12, W Luxembourg'13 | Tipping: (CH: #2) W YEC'11, W Acapulco'13, W Brisbane'14, W RG'14
JustPetko is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #35
country flag Djezonfly
Wimbledon Champion

Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute Djezonfly has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't read the whole thread yet but if you're looking for someone I'd like to play for France.
Djezonfly is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2011, 02:08 PM   #36
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

^^ No problem
ma re is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #37
country flag ma re

ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute ma re has a reputation beyond repute

Well people, FC weekend is approaching and I'd like to see if we'd agree on some ideas. The thread should be open a few days before the start of the competition, and everything should be agreed upon at least a few days before the thread is open, so I think we don't have much more than 10 days or so to settle everything. So here are my thoughts:

- that we play both WG and WG2 matches (singles only), including WG and WG2 play-offs; the reason is because if we wouldn't play the play-offs, only the first FC weekend would be really interesting, while the second (just the two semis) and the third (just the finals), wouldn't be much fun. This would give us 8 extra ties to play on the second week.

- I suggest that we don't form teams in advance after all. The reason is because I realized that many people will see the FC thread just a few days before the FC weekend for the first time, and if continue to form teams up until very late we might be in for a complete chaos. So I think everyone should be able to sign-up (by typing "in", just like for every tipping tournament) in that thread whenever and for which ever country they want. So just by typing "in + name of the country". Otherwise, many people would probably be disapppointed if we'd tell them they can't play because they didn't sign-up a month or so in advance, cause many probably don't even know that tipping will be played on the FC weekend.

- because of the fact that in the situations above we wouldn't be able to know the exact number of players for each country, I think it's best to go for the "dividing by the number of players" method of awarding points. So a total amount of points divided by the number of players representing that country.

But there are some more things to discuss. Like, do we want a table system like we have for tipping already, where all the countries would play all the rounds and get points for correct picks, with the winner being the team with the most points in the end. Or do we want a knock-out system, where teams would play against eachother in every round (but we'd have to be sure to have an even number of countries for that, and that's the tricky part). Or something totally different???

Also, do we value each correct tipp in every round the same or not? Maybe something like
1 point in the first rounds
0.5 for the WG2 play-offs
1.5 for the WG play-offs
2 for semis
and 3 for the finals would be good - all of course per correct tipp?

So to recap, on the first FC weekend there would be:
- 4 WG ties and 4 WG2 ties (first round of each).
On the second:
- 2 semis of WG, 4 WG play-offs and 4 WG2 play-offs.
And on the third there'd be just the finals, of course.

Another thing. In actual FED Cup there is a battle for the winner of each season, but also a continuous rankings system - do we follow with that too?

P. S. Try not to follow my example and please don't write huuuuuge posts cause we'll never get it done that way
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #38
country flag Håkon

Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute Håkon has a reputation beyond repute

Idea: countries with more than 2 players should be able to cancel their worst result.

Knockout would be a bit weird, we'd have to use PMs then I think because of strategic tipping - plus this is the newcomers' game, so imo we shouldn't demote new players to World Group II or III because their country wasn't in last year. I'd like a year-round table + a winner each week.

I like the suggested point system, but perhaps double it? So 2 - 1 -3 - 4 - 6? That way we avoid half-points. I think we should only count live matches as well. Perhaps we should give 8 for the final because there aren't that many matches, so the competition could be over already.

Short enough?
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #39
country flag ma re

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamR03A View Post
Idea: countries with more than 2 players should be able to cancel their worst result.

So you don't like the idea of dividing the sum of points with the number of players, or I'm missing something here? Not sure I understand how this would be done. Like, if those with more than 2 players would cancel their worst result, we'd still have teams with various numbers of players...?

Knockout would be a bit weird, we'd have to use PMs then I think because of strategic tipping - plus this is the newcomers' game, so imo we shouldn't demote new players to World Group II or III because their country wasn't in last year. I'd like a year-round table + a winner each week.

1. I agree knock-out would be too tricky to do.
2. You missed a point, I'm not saying that those who were worst last year should play WG2 (not sure where you got that). I suggested that those who did best in the first round this year (this February) should maybe be allowed to play in the semis in April, while those that didn't do so well should maybe only be allowed to play the play-off ties that same weekend.
3. A winner each week? In FED Cup? Are you drunk

I like the suggested point system, but perhaps double it? So 2 - 1 -3 - 4 - 6? That way we avoid half-points. I think we should only count live matches as well. Perhaps we should give 8 for the final because there aren't that many matches, so the competition could be over already.

Agree with everything here. We don't have to decide on points for the later rounds already, but only on some general idea.

Short enough?

Yup!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #40
country flag Håkon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma re View Post
So you don't like the idea of dividing the sum of points with the number of players, or I'm missing something here? Not sure I understand how this would be done. Like, if those with more than 2 players would cancel their worst result, we'd still have teams with various numbers of players...?
ok, let me explain with numbers

Alphaland has Bob, Carol and David in their team
Betaland has Eve and Phil
Gammaland has Joe, Irene, Kyle and Lisa.

Scores

Bob 18
Carol 14
David 10

Eve 14
Phil 12

Joe 17
Irene 14
Kyle 12
Lisa 11

Now, Alphaland and Gammaland take away their worst player

Alphaland 32 / 2 = 16
Betaland 26 / 2 = 13
Gammaland 43 / 3 = 14.33

I suppose it's not really necessary, but I thought it'd be a slight advantage to popular countries - it would avoid a 4-man team being punished because the 4th player doesn't tip on the final two days, for example.

And yeah, a winner each week is stupid, don't know what I was thinking there
game wins: FITD US Open '12, Guangzhou '10 (#1 since 8 July 2013), TT Indian Wells '11, TT doubles Moskva '11, Brussel '12, Pattaya '13, Stuttgart '13 (w/Andreas), PAW 4 titles, Suicide Olympic gold + 2 titles, Tipping 3 titles (#1 for 25 weeks, USO Series '12), Q-Ball 7 titles, Blackjack #1 2012, Pentathlon #1 2012 (5 titles)
Азарэнка | Павлюченкова | Arvidsson | Halep | Eikeri | Clijsters | Rus | Van Uytvanck | Watson | Bertens | Superboerin Hogenkamp | Weijers
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #41
country flag ma re

Aaaaah, got it, so canceling the worst score AND THEN dividing the points by the number of remaining players! Yeah, makes sense, could be interesting.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #42
country flag ma re

Anyone have anything against this...

All the members of the teams post, each correct tipp is given a certain amount of points and then the combined amounts of points (for each team) are divided by the number of players. Suggestion of points given per correct tipp:

- on the first FED Cup weekend (February)
4 for each in the QF of WG (16 singles matches over two days)
2 for each in the R1 of WG2 (16 singles matches over two days)

- on the second FED Cup weekend (April)
5 for each in the SF of WG (8 singles matches over two days)
3 for each in the playoffs of WG (16 singles matches over two days)
1 for each in the playoffs of WG2 (16 singles matches over two days)

- on the third FED Cup weekend (November)
6 for each in the finals of World Group (4 singles matches over two days)

Any complaints, suggestions...?
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #43
country flag ma re

Just to inform you all that I'll probably create the FED Cup thread tomorrow and that I'll already list you as players who have already signed up, along with your choice of countries. In other words, if you have specified here that you'd like to play and mentioned the country for which you'd like to participate, you don't have to type "in" at the start of that thread. Of course, if you for some reason want to change your team choice, you can do that until the start of the first match, so a lot of time is left to decide.

Since no one complained about these ideas, we will:
- accept any player interested into the FC, as long as he/she specifies the team for which he/she wants to play, and as long as it's done before the start of the first match on the first day
- accept players who are "late for the sign-up" (who want to join after the competition has started), but only if they will play for a new team (some country that's not yet in the game)
- divide the overall number of points each team acquires each day by the number of players that have played that day for the team (those who forget to send won't count for the day - I think that's fair)
- give 4 and 2 points per correct tipp during the first FC weekend
- not count any matches played after the winner of the tie is known
- count all the results on the 52-week basis as well; in other words, we'll have continuous ranking of countries (so teams will have to defend points next year etc.) as well as a yearly competition for a season FC winner

So everything is pretty much settled. If you have some last-minute suggestions, feel free to write, so that we resolve everything in time.

Hope to see you all on February 5th and 6th in Tipping FED Cup
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #44
country flag Miracle Worker

Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute Miracle Worker has a reputation beyond repute

Poland
Kimiko Date Krumm, Tomas Berdych, Michail Youzhny, Daniel Brands
Elena Dementieva, Julia Cohen, Anna Chakvetadze
Miracle Worker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #45
country flag ma re

Check it out:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthrea...0#post19063850

Those of you who have participated in this thread but have not committed yet, you can now do it there