** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 82 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:00 AM   #1216
country flag Sp!ffy

Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Ok, get over it. What can you do about it?
Sp!ffy is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM   #1217
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!ffy View Post
Ok, get over it. What can you do about it?
Some were worried that she would play so much that she would be out of gas for the ao. Now some are worried that she will not play enough, or play against not tough enough players.

What can I do? I can be glad every time I get to see her play. She knows more about what she is doing than I do.
nelsondan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:10 AM   #1218
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Last year she played against Venus and Caroline (in exhibitions) and won, but lost in the first round of the AO anyway. It's better to have some real competitive matches than exhibition matches IMO, no matter what the competition is, so, I for one I’m thrilled she chose to play Auckland.

Seeing as the only bigger tournament before the AO is Sydney the week before you can't blame Maria for playing a MM event. That's also something she only does when there aren't any bigger events to play, maybe except Memphis last year, which she won by the way.

Her ranking isn't so low because she's played a couple of MM events, her ranking is low because she hasn't performed better in the important events. Although I have to say her Grand Slam draws have been unfortunate to say the least.

PS: Almost no player is able to play that many tournaments without being tired anymore, not just Maria. The ones that do either lose early in every single one, or are players that will face a burnout after a couple of years.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1219
country flag Sp!ffy

Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute Sp!ffy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondan View Post
Some were worried that she would play so much that she would be out of gas for the ao. Now some are worried that she will not play enough, or play against not tough enough players.

What can I do? I can be glad every time I get to see her play. She knows more about what she is doing than I do.
Sp!ffy is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:04 AM   #1220
country flag GalvoSteady

GalvoSteady has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaFanForever View Post
But Spiffy, that's not the point. One tournament IS enough, but the point is that Sydney has a way, way stronger field than Auckland, and it would be much better for Maria to get a taste on what kind of competition she is going to face at the Australian Open. She is a three time grand slam winner for god sake's. She needs to grow up and realize that she can't keep on playing the lower tier tournaments to get a couple of cheap wins under her belt, which won't get her ranking high enough to avoid Clijsters, Wozniacki or Henin in the fourth round of a grand slam. It's what happened all of last year, and it turned out to be an absolute disaster. If she were smart, she would have played in Sydney instead. But as usual, she chooses to play in a tournament filled with juniors so she can get a cheap tournament win under her belt. And then, by the time a grand slam comes, she comes up short against Li Na or Wozniacki in the fourth round. I want to support her but it's just getting more and more absurd. She has only made one grand slam quarterfinal since the 2008 Australian Open, and that is a horrible statistic. She came back in May 2009, it's 2011 now, if she can't find her form this year then it is worrying. She should be back in the top ten by now.
You are being a bit heartless when it comes to Masha's long time out to recover post- Rotator Cuff surgery.

I have had time out from tennis for different reasons and miss it dearly... I can only hope that Masha will have used her off season to build nice and steady. Let's all be positive! It's a gloomy enough world at the moment, and we should look to sport to keep our spirits up, and not make them even worse.

<gets down off soap box now>
GalvoSteady is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM   #1221
country flag MashaFanForever

MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Croft View Post
Last year she played against Venus and Caroline (in exhibitions) and won, but lost in the first round of the AO anyway. It's better to have some real competitive matches than exhibition matches IMO, no matter what the competition is, so, I for one I’m thrilled she chose to play Auckland.

Seeing as the only bigger tournament before the AO is Sydney the week before you can't blame Maria for playing a MM event. That's also something she only does when there aren't any bigger events to play, maybe except Memphis last year, which she won by the way.

Her ranking isn't so low because she's played a couple of MM events, her ranking is low because she hasn't performed better in the important events. Although I have to say her Grand Slam draws have been unfortunate to say the least.

PS: Almost no player is able to play that many tournaments without being tired anymore, not just Maria. The ones that do either lose early in every single one, or are players that will face a burnout after a couple of years.

Maybe you are misinformed. Hong Kong is not the reason she lost in the 1st round of the Australian Open last year. She played Hong Kong in 2008, and lost in the final to Venus and then won the Australian Open right after. Why she lost in the 1st round of the Australian Open is another subject altogether. My point is she can't keep on doing well in these international tournaments. As a three-time grand slam winner, former World No. 1 she is expected to go the biggest events and go deep in them, not suffer one embarrasing loss after another.
MashaFanForever is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 09:24 AM   #1222
country flag MashaFanForever

MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever MashaFanForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvoSteady View Post
You are being a bit heartless when it comes to Masha's long time out to recover post- Rotator Cuff surgery.

I have had time out from tennis for different reasons and miss it dearly... I can only hope that Masha will have used her off season to build nice and steady. Let's all be positive! It's a gloomy enough world at the moment, and we should look to sport to keep our spirits up, and not make them even worse.

<gets down off soap box now>
I can't see how I'm being heartless. Her shoulder injury is not bothering her anymore, and to be honest, I'm getting a bit sick of the media and just people in general acting like it still is. If it was a few months after her shoulder injury while she is still getting used to the new service motion, I would understand. But she's back to her old service motion now for a year now. I know she says she is working hard, and thinks she can have a good year, but it's a lot easy to say that. Putting it into actions is the hard part.
MashaFanForever is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:14 AM   #1223
country flag GalvoSteady

GalvoSteady has disabled reputation

^ Well your scale of being demanding is different to others.
Shoulder injuries are well hard to totally erase. She might have overplayed in her junior days because she showed so much early promise. In any case stop putting the media and Maria in same boat. They are not 'two peas in a pod' as my countrymen would say!
GalvoSteady is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1224
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

her shoulder injury halted her progression though, she had won the AO and Doha in 2008 played GREAT at the Fed Cup vs Israel then went to Indian Wells tore her tendon but played for months b4 doing anything. if if she had a leg injury she could have recovered better i think but it's her shoulder of the arm she swings with, she will always be weary of it
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Elena Baltacha R.I.P Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM   #1225
country flag Maria Croft

Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute Maria Croft has a reputation beyond repute

Well Mashafan, I think you have a very bad attitude, glad Maria doesn't, that's all I'm gonna say about this.

Wimbledon 2004 US Open 2006
Australian Open 2008 Roland Garros 2012 2014
0013..Eternal follower of the Golden Girl
Maria Croft is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM   #1226
country flag JamieOwen3

JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute JamieOwen3 has a reputation beyond repute

before critisizing her actually wait until she at least plays her first tournament of 2011 she says she's working hard yes but then you can't say that saying it and getting good results on the court is different just yet as she hasn't even played her first match of 2011
Maria Sharapova Venus & Serena Martina Hingis Anna Kournikova Monica Seles Ana Ivanovic Victoria Azarenka Jelena Dokic Laura Robson Eugenie Bouchard Heather Watson Elena Baltacha R.I.P Petra Kvitova Donna Vekic

Official Siberian Death Stare Of The Maria Mafia
Andy Murray 2013 Wimbledon Champion. @TheGrandSlams
JamieOwen3 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM   #1227
country flag CROUCHING TIGER

CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice CROUCHING TIGER is just really nice

I can understand MASHAFAN and he's not wrong in what he says. But OTOH let's see how she plays!!
CROUCHING TIGER is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:11 PM   #1228
country flag pov

pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute pov has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashaFanForever View Post
I can't see how I'm being heartless. Her shoulder injury is not bothering her anymore, and to be honest, I'm getting a bit sick of the media and just people in general acting like it still is. If it was a few months after her shoulder injury while she is still getting used to the new service motion, I would understand. But she's back to her old service motion now for a year now. I know she says she is working hard, and thinks she can have a good year, but it's a lot easy to say that. Putting it into actions is the hard part.
I agree. That's the way it is for everyone. For a top athlete like Sharapova who also has celebrity status there can be even more distractions. It's also easy for anyone to think that they are putting in extra effort when they are really just falling into the same old routines. The addition of a new coach has been the best thing so far. It would have said something great if thatt had been Shaarpova's idea
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:04 PM   #1229
country flag Sharapovian
RG '14

Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute

Tennis: Grand Slam my dream goal, says top seed

Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova says being able to win a Grand Slam tournament this year would be the biggest feat of her career.
The headline act at this week's ASB Classic in Auckland, the 23-year-old Sharapova has three major titles to her name.

"Absolutely, I would love to," she said when asked about her hopes of adding to that collection during 2011.

"If I'm able to win a Grand Slam after my injury, it would be my greatest achievement in my career."

Sharapova's last victory in a major was the 2008 Australian Open, but injuries have hampered her game in recent times.

Later that year, she had surgery to her right shoulder, which meant a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

In her comeback on the circuit, she has had to adjust what had been a strength, her serve.

"It's one of those things that comes with time and you build on it," she said.

"I've had to change it a few times to accommodate the shoulder and obviously that's not the best case scenario to do in the middle of your career."

The former world No 1 begins the new season ranked at 18, still high enough to make her the Classic's top seed.

Sharapova is rated by Forbes magazine as the world's top-earning female athlete, and her combination of photogenic qualities and tennis talent make her a huge drawcard.

Her first-round match today is part of the day session, which organisers said was a sellout, with all 3200 centre court tickets snapped up.

Her opponent is Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro, the world No 57, whom she has not faced before.

Sharapova said she chose the Auckland tournament because she wanted to make a switch to her pre-Australian Open schedule.

Last year, when she lost in the opening round in Melbourne, her build-up comprised exhibition events.

This time around, with her last competitive tennis match having been three months ago, she was eager to get back into tournament mode early.

"I wanted to change it up this year," she said.

"It's my first time in New Zealand. I've heard many great things about the tournament from other players. When I thought about playing a tournament event, this one was on the top of my list."

As part of her bid to climb back up the tennis ladder, Sharapova has hired Swede Thomas Hogstedt, who came on board last month to work with her longtime coach, Michael Joyce.

"It's nice to bring in someone with a fresh perspective ... and it's been really good."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/tennis/new...ectid=10697616
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:05 PM   #1230
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

You guys, she hasn't even started her first match yet. Why don't we save the whining after we see how she plays?
Mrs. Dimitrova is online now View My Blog!  
Closed Thread