** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2 - Page 79 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:02 PM   #1171
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute
Re: ** Masha News and Articles! ** Vol. 2

Doubles would be too much, no? She still has Sydney left if she needs the extra match play.
Don't wanna burn herself out before the AO right.
Break My Rapture is offline View My Blog!  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #1172
country flag Mr.Sharapova

Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute Mr.Sharapova has a reputation beyond repute

We are forgetting she is not Wozniacki
Mr.Sharapova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1173
country flag Mistress of Evil
mean-spirited, vicious bitch witch

Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute Mistress of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shafanovic View Post
Oh and she should play doubles with Yanina here =)
No Doubles. Firts she is a mediocre doubles player + too much pressure on the body/ shoulder.
And Wickmayer Really
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #1174
country flag Sharapovian
RG '14

Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute Sharapovian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sharapova stays silent, Safina happy to chat

Maria Sharapova kept her lips zipped, while another former world No1, Dinara Safina, wasn't so shy as the big guns came out to play in Auckland yesterday.

After rain caused her to miss out on a hit at the ASB Classic venue on Tuesday, Sharapova made the most of the fine conditions by spending three hours training on centre court.

With her two coaches she practised between 11am and 1pm and then again for an hour from 4pm.

But although her preparations for the tournament have begun, Sharapova continued to give the silent treatment to the media and won't do any interviews until she's contractually obliged to on Saturday, two days out from the tournament opener.

It's disappointing that the highest-profile player to play at the Classic has chosen to snub local media because it damages the buildup for the tournament.

But Safina didn't have the same issues and chatted away after an hour on one of the back courts.

There is none of the hype around Safina that there is with Sharapova, but it's arguable she should be considered the tournament favourite. Safina may not have a serve as good as Sharapova's, but she possesses a devastating backhand and, now injury-free, has her eyes set on quickly moving from her lowly world ranking of 63 into the top 10 at least.......
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/tennis/...-happy-to-chat

Wow she did a lot of practice

Probably staying silent for a good reason.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1175
country flag Pops Maellard
Quiche

Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute Pops Maellard has a reputation beyond repute

Letting the media starve.
Pops Maellard is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #1176
country flag denny5576

denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of denny5576 has much to be proud of

Sharapova signing session big hit

Maria Sharapova was in hot demand on Auckland's Viaduct Harbour this evening as tennis fans queued for her autograph.
Sharapova, along with Svetlana Kuznetsova and Yanina Wickmayer, put aside the risk of wrist injury ahead of next week's ASB Classic at the signing session.
About 200 fans -- including a few news reporters -- were seen queuing as they sought signatures on posters, shirts, tennis balls, mobile phones and even yo-yos.
Tournament officials were expecting some of the signed items to find their way onto popular trading websites in the next few days.
Many young girls were among those queuing, though second in line was 63-year-old Emily Poulsen from the North Shore.
"I love tennis and I especially love Maria Sharapova, so getting the chance to see her is amazing," she said.
Kuznetsova and Wickmayer took time out to test out a serving net, but the popular Sharapova didn't get a break during 40 minutes of signing duties.
None of the players spoke to media after the signing session, though Kuznetsova was clearly keen to make a splash as she whacked a tennis ball into Waitemata Harbour just before leaving.
Sharapova, a triple grand slam singles title winner and the world's highest-paid female athlete, is top seed at the ASB Classic, which starts on Monday.
She has spent much of her time since arriving in New Zealand practising, and today she had a session hitting with New Zealander Sacha Jones, who has a wild card entry into the ASB Classic.
Wickmayer, the defending champion, is the second seed and Kuznetsova, a dual grand slam winner, is third seed.
denny5576 is offline View My Blog!  
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #1177
country flag kimgurl

kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all kimgurl is a name known to all

feelin a good vibes for masha next year(crossed finger)...wasnt able to see much of her matches last year, so to break the record(my list of must "do" next year)is to watch as many masha's tournament next year..who knows she will win all GS and take the no.1 spot in the WTAso just wanna witness it..like most of yah here-------------oh yeah i watched it!!!!!!!!

AJAH MASHA
START OF MASHA GS YEARS
kimgurl is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 12:06 AM   #1178
country flag nelsondan

nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute nelsondan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Sharapova continued to give the silent treatment to the media and won't do any interviews until she's contractually obliged to on Saturday
How many hours after the time of this post will it be until the contractual obligation? I believe their time compared to the time of this post would mean a little bit past 2 p.m. on Saturday.

Last edited by nelsondan : Jan 1st, 2011 at 12:22 AM.
nelsondan is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 12:08 AM   #1179
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute Break My Rapture has a reputation beyond repute

Maria left a new message on FB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Sharapova
I want to wish all my fans a happy and healthy 2011. We have been enjoying our time in Auckland and getting a ton of good training. Looking forward to playing my first match.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:23 PM   #1180
country flag NewShoulderPlz.

NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future

Tennis: Sharapova holds court

Maria Sharapova often feels like an entertainer in a circus.

The superstar Russian, who is the headline act at the ASB Classic starting tomorrow, certainly made a big impression in her first media session yesterday.

The 23-year-old is probably the most photographed sportswoman on the planet. She's a genuine global celebrity and has heard it all before at thousands of press conferences and interviews but was candid, refreshing and charismatic.

She seems aware of her status and more than happy to play her part, a real contrast with some of her sullen and serious contemporaries.

"At the end of the day, all of us are entertainers," she says. "People buy tickets to watch us play and it's like a circus - we go from one destination to another."

It would be easy to see her in the role of court jester, as the relaxed Sharapova showed some comic touches to put the press in their place. There was a real sharpness and wit, honed by the years of interviews.

"Are you saying tennis is not my thing?" she quizzically asked one reporter who suggested, with her height, she could have been a netballer.

Maria Sharapova Inc is a worldwide brand, used to sell clothing, cosmetics and courts from Beijing to Budapest. Apart from her tennis feats, she has been with IMG models since 2003 and graced countless magazine covers. Her appeal has only increased with her recent engagement to NBA star Sacha Vujacic.

But Sharapova does her best to downplay the glamour.

"It all seems so glamorous at a red carpet event with five layers of makeup and you look amazing," she says. "But often I am back in my pyjamas within 30 minutes, talking with my friends and family. And the next day you are back out sweating at practice. I think it's more how people see it than the actual reality."

She also strives to convince that life as Maria Sharapova, or 'Masha' as she is known in Russia, is white-picket-fence normal.

"I do a lot of normal things. I go to the movies, I shop, I cook, I enjoy the little things in life. I walk around town."

She will never be able to be anonymous but that sounds like a small price to pay.

"I don't mind when people recognise me and ask for an autograph," she admits. "Obviously when you are eating a bowl of bolagnese pasta and have got meat sauce all over your mouth and they are asking for a picture, that is a different story. But, generally, it's pretty neat when people recognise you and respect you for the work you put in."

The relaxed nature of New Zealand is an oft-quoted tale from overseas visitors but Sharapova has been genuinely surprised by how carefree Kiwis seem to be.

"They will stop you and say, 'hello' and usually you are ready to pull out the pen and paper for an autograph but they just tell you how happy they are that I am here and really respectful - that is nice considering we are so busy."

Over the five days she's spent in Auckland, Sharapova has shown the focus that made her a champion; the intensity that saw her win Wimbledon as a 17-year-old; the desire that gets you 22 titles and three grand slams and the work ethic that brings you back from career-threatening injuries. She refuses to court distractions and has not faced the media once apart from the scheduled hour at yesterday's draw. This was a key element of the pre-contract negotiations.

"If I wanted to, I could do an interview every single hour of the day, but that is not really in my best interests and I am not that kind of person," she says.

She has trained twice a day, realising it's important to adjust to the humid conditions after coming from a northern winter. She spends little time in the player lounges and chose to skip the official New Years Eve player's function, instead dining at the Skytower with her entourage. There has also been no time for the usual helicopter ride or harbour cruise other players are sometimes offered and, apart from the extra security detail and two designated drivers, there have been no special requests from team Sharapova.

"It is too embarrassing to say I haven't done anything else?" she says of her time in Auckland. "My priority was to get used to the conditions and the court and have a couple of practice sessions a day."

There was a trip to see Little Fockers on Thursday and the "big foodie" has enjoyed the wide variety of cuisine in the city of sails.

Her focus is key if she is to make a climb back up the rankings. Although she would not explicitly admit it, it's obvious she doesn't see herself as No18 in the world and wants to redress the situation as soon as possible, starting at the ASB Classic. It has been a long, twisted road back after the shoulder injuries that saw her plummet as low as 126 two years ago.

"I kept my head up," Sharapova says of her long exile from the game. "I was pretty confident I would be back - although I thought it would be faster. If you let tough experiences put you down, then it's pretty tough to get back up."

Despite losing some power in her serve, the emergence of young stars and re-emergence of some old rivals, the 1.88m Sharapova is adamant she will be a major player again.

"I have come back from an awful lot, something that could have taken me away from the game. I am back on the court, going well and I have to build on it little by little.

"If I am able to win a grand slam after my injury, it would be my greatest achievement in my career."

The first step will be an opening match at the ASB Classic against Carla Suarez Navarro. The two have never met, and the 22-year-old Spaniard is a tricky proposition, with the pedigree of two grand slam quarter-final appearances and a one-handed backhand that resembles Justin Henin.

But the circus will roll on, and Maria should be providing great entertainment late into the week.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10697486

MARIA Career GrandSlam SHARAPOVA

NewShoulderPlz. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:29 PM   #1181
country flag NewShoulderPlz.

NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future NewShoulderPlz. has a brilliant future

Tennis: Maria's bedtime secret
By Michael Burgess

She's the most glamorous female tennis player to grace the courts since Anna Kournikova retired, but Russian beauty Maria Sharapova is hardly living the life of a superstar in Auckland.

She was prepared to miss the city's spectacular New Year's Eve fireworks display because she was in bed by 9.30pm, and a trip to the movies to see the critically-panned Little Fockers seems to have been the most exciting off-court action so far.

The former world No 1, in New Zealand to play in the ASB Classic which starts tomorrow, turned down the chance of a sightseeing trip in a helicopter and is still thinking about the offer of a cruise on the Waitemata Harbour.

Training and playing, it seems, is more important than anything.

Sharapova skipped a New Year's Eve function for the players at the Heritage Hotel, instead opting for a meal at SkyCity's Orbit restaurant and an early night.

"We had a nice dinner and a great view of the city," she said at her first media conference of the week yesterday. "The fireworks woke me up. I loved them - they were great. I wish I could have stayed up to watch them but I was too tired."

A spokesman for Orbit said Sharapova was "lovely to deal with".

A self-confessed foodie, she's eaten mostly at the hotel, though she's had a Thai meal at a Viaduct restaurant.

She hasn't mixed with the public much either, except for a wander up Queen St soon after her arrival, noticing the vertical bungy jump - "not something in my league" - and a lack of pushy residents.

"Normally people want an autograph or photo, but they just wanted to wish me good luck and tell me how great it was that I was here."

If anyone is to get a glimpse of the Russian beauty off the court, it might be an art dealer - she loves modern art and is looking to take some home. But though she also loves New Zealand wool, there is little chance of any leaving the country with her: "You have great rugs - but I am afraid I won't be able to send them or take them because they are so big."

Everywhere she goes, she is accompanied by a Kiwi security guard, apparently the same one hired to protect Tom Cruise when he was here for a film.

Tournament organiser Richard Palmer said the one-to-one protection had been done only once before for the women's tournament - when Kournikova visited. There will be extra security at the courts, too.

"We want to keep it Kiwi style - there won't be four big gorillas around her, but we have to take the measures necessary given her standing," Palmer said. "Plain clothes - you won't even notice they are there."

Perhaps it's just as well Sharapova has not needed too much time or money spent on extra-curricular activities - Palmer confirmed the tournament had already paid "considerably more than it ever has for a player" to get her here.

"But we paid less than most other tournaments would as the agent realises what is fair in our market."

Sharapova has drawn a tough first round match, against world No 57, Spaniard Carla Suarez Navarro. She will find out whether she plays tomorrow or Tuesday after qualifying finishes today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/tennis/new...ectid=10697453

Tennis: Fans' true colours

Maria Sharapova has yet to play a match in Auckland but already has a committed fan club.

North Shore resident Craig Rendle and his group has dedicated months to planning their support for the Russian glamour girl.

They have a corporate box for the entire week and all attendees will be kitted head to toe in LA Lakers uniforms, a tribute to Sharapova's basketball-playing fiance Sacha Vujacic.

"Blonde wigs are so yesterday, and we wanted something different," explained Rendell. "We have chants and songs prepared, and we hope Maria likes the support."

Last laugh Sharapova - Vujacic was traded to the New Jersey Nets two weeks ago.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10697452

MARIA Career GrandSlam SHARAPOVA

NewShoulderPlz. is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 05:40 PM   #1182
country flag Marilyn Monheaux

Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute Marilyn Monheaux has a reputation beyond repute

I like Masha's attitude.

My wish for 2011: Less "Sharapova Inc" & "Glamazon" talk and more tennis news, please.
I'm honestly tired of having to read through the whole "highest paid, most photographed" bla bla before I get an actual Masha quote. We get it! She's rich & famous and you guys wanna show everybody what a biiiiiiig catch you made with her. Now stop it!
Marilyn Monheaux is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:03 PM   #1183
Break My Rapture
Heaux

I lol'd at those amaze fans who were planning to wear LA Lakers costumes.
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:10 PM   #1184
Mrs. Dimitrova
#CareerSlamPova

Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute Mrs. Dimitrova has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear she's focusing on tennis but I don't like the idea of skipping New Years. She should have a little rest time.

But meh, it was her decision so whatever Maria.
Mrs. Dimitrova is offline View My Blog!  
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM   #1185
Break My Rapture
Heaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teerin View Post
Good to hear she's focusing on tennis but I don't like the idea of skipping New Years. She should have a little rest time.

But meh, it was her decision so whatever Maria.
Well she went to bed at 9:30 PM. Sleeping is resting, right?
Closed Thread