Big West - news 2010-11 - Page 2 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Oct 4th, 2010, 10:56 PM   #16
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Long Beach St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by form View Post
obviously had higher rank a year ago and still MUCH betr rank than some cheaters.
Form in order for me to respond you have to post names otherwise I don't know who you're talking about?

Quote:
obviously u assume she is on ride
It's only a natural assumption because LBS hasn't carried a walk-on in years since that failed project with Nina Burgoon.

I was going to ask why Michaela Meszarosova didn't make the cut. But if KK is a walk-on then my suggestion player may still have a shot.
gouci is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 04:07 AM   #17
country flag gouci

gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all gouci is a name known to all
Re: Long Beach St.

Quote:
obviously had higher rank a year ago and still MUCH betr rank than some cheaters.
Form so you're saying Kouyoumjian had a better ranking than Hammel? Let's take a look at the facts and not rely on your faulty recollections.

Stephanie Hammel's TRN rankings
HS senior = 36
HS junior = 39
HS soph. = 29

Kouyoumjian's TRN rankings
HS senior = (303)
HS junior = 92
HS soph. = 38

Form this reminds me of when you accused UCI of stacking Amy Trankino at #1 and I had to correct you by posting the truth that Trankino NEVER played #1 at UCI.

Form to be honest I was kinda hoping UCI could pickup Kouyoumjian as a walk-on a while back until I saw her USTA record. In the last year Kouyoumjian has quit 6 tournaments. I don't think I've ever seen a player quit so many times.

UCI has warriors like Stephanie Hammel who would rather play Deborah Armstrong to an unfinished stalemate on 1 hand rather than quit.

In the future maybe if Kouyoumjian is playing against UCI in the finals of the Big West Tourney I wouldn't mind if Kouyoumjian decides to call it quits once again.
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #18
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice
Re: Big West - news 2010-11

I guess gouci just substituted "some" with "all" and went from there. Only in a cheater's world could you make that inference and waste board members time with a BS comparison, LBSU's potential walk-on with UCI's best returning player. Geez, maybe that is a legit comparison and reflects both program's talent level.

Last edited by RobertCB : Oct 5th, 2010 at 05:18 AM.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 05:23 PM   #19
country flag gouci

Hey Robert I loved the championship photos you took for the Big West of both the UCI men's and women's tennis team. If Form had to take those photos he probably would have "pulled a Kouyoumjian" and quit as photographer.

Last edited by gouci : Oct 5th, 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old Oct 7th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #20
country flag gouci

Re: UC Santa Barbara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouci View Post
UCSB may have their best team ever next season.
UCSB may have their best team this 2010-11 season.

Michelle Murphy is on the UCSB roster and so is early HS grad 5 star Paola Cos. This is a huge development.

Malenovska isn't playing against UCI & UCSB regular season. Long Beach St. might end up the #2 or #3 seed and have to go through very tough UCSB in the BWT semis?

Malenovska vs Novak
Alawi vs Damon
Dallara vs Lozano
Armstrong vs Hausman
Manasse vs Cos
Jeczmionka vs Murphy

Wouldn't it be a great story if UCI and UCSB met in the finals of the Big West Tournament with UCSB getting their shot at revenge vs UCI. In this scenario UCSB will be very motivated to beat anyone standing in the way like LBS in order to play UCI.

Last edited by gouci : Oct 7th, 2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old Oct 11th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #21
country flag 2nd_serve

2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all 2nd_serve is a name known to all

UC Davis had good results at the Saint Mary's tournament. Zamudio, Edles, and Curry all had good results, with the final of White draw being between two UC Davis players. And while the freshmen did not blow players away, they are considered a strong recruiting class by tennisrecruiting. They may have gotten the first tournament nerves out.
2nd_serve is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM   #22
country flag fantic
esprits d'élite

fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute fantic has a reputation beyond repute

Brook Doane of CSN beat Colffer and Landsman to reach the final of CSN invite.

"Learning knows no differences of social caste or privilege. The mind is a radical democrat."
- Woodrow Wilson
fantic is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 05:28 PM   #23
country flag gouci

Big West expansion

Big West considering adding Hawaii, UC San Diego (Div. 2) and Cal St. Bakersfield.

Quote:
Big West commissioner Dennis Farrell said UH was one of three schools that submitted information to be considered for membership by yesterday's deadline. He said the other two were Cal State Bakersfield and UC San Diego.

The Big West Council is scheduled to meet Dec. 8 to review the files and may make a recommendation to the board of directors at that time.

Star Advertiser article
Hawaii's top 3 did pretty well against Stanford in a 11/24/10 exibition.

1. No. 21 Mallory Burdette def. Barbara Pinterova 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
2. Kristie Ahn def. Magdalena Ploch 6-0, 4-6, 6-2
3. Nicole Gibbs def. Katarina Poljakova 6-3, 6-3

- Add 5 star Jaime Pawid to that line-up next season and Hawaii has a strong 1-4 singles.
- But Pinterova and Ploch graduates before Hawaii can join the Big West in 2012-13.
- However Jamie Pawid may be a contender for the Big West NCAA singles auto bid for 3 years.

- UCSD last season was ranked in the top 15 of Div. 2 in women's tennis.
- IMO it will just take a short time until UCSD surpasses CSF & UCR in women's tennis if they are added to the Big West.
- UCSD would even give UCI some competition for San Diego recruits.

I say add both Hawaii and UCSD.
Old Dec 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #24
country flag gouci

Re: Big West expansion

- Hawaii w. tennis also needs to work on retaining their players. I thought Ellen Linsenbolz (#1 singles) and Maraike Biglmaier (WTA 694) were going to be big additions for Hawaii but they only lasted less than a season.

- I was surprised that the unidentified team was not San Jose St. or Sac. St.

- If SJS told the WAC they were sending all other sports to the Big West the WAC can't really say no. The WAC is down to 7 football teams with 8 being needed to remain a football conference.

- Sac. St. might have tried to get the same deal as Cal Poly and UC Davis as football only in the Big Sky and all other sports to the Big West.

- With SJS & Sac. St. NOT EVEN EXPLORING the Big West option that makes me view their leadership as being reactive instead of proactive. If that's the case their programs aren't getting better anytime soon and its probably better they stay out of the Big West.

- I would have voted no for SJS but maybe yes for Sac. St. They have a good men's soccer, plus men & women's tennis program. Maybe Big West tennis might have had the potential to send 3 teams to the NCAAs with the addition of Sac. St.

- In the future when the landscape quakes again because of football realignment I see UCSD as insurance. On the remote chance the football schools Cal Poly, UCD & Hawaii leave the Big West, UCSD will keep the membership at 8 saving the hoops auto bid without having to add Bakersfield out of desperation.
Old Dec 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM   #25
country flag gouci

And I was about to congratulate LBS tennis for finally being able to take a trip to Hawaii.

So only the 7 Big West priority sports will be required to play Hawaii in round robin conference games during the regular season.

Teams like UCI, UCSB, CSUN and Cal Poly that have taken trips to Hawaii already will probably have an excuse to visit Hawaii every other year. They will be able to use going to Hawaii to help their recruiting.

Hawaii usually plays 4 or more WAC teams on their schedule. I bet all these teams will be replaced by Big West teams. Hawaii will fly to CA to play the Big West teams. So if Big West teams have to pay their own way to Hawaii then LBS/UCR/CSF will probably not be taking a trip to the islands anytime soon.

Maybe UCI & LBS can cut out UCR and CSF from the schedule and line up 2 more home matches against teams ranked in the 50-75 range.

The regular season tennis champion was only used for seeding and Commissioner Cup points. The BWT title had always been the coveted prize and from that standpoint not much has changed.
Old Dec 11th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #26
country flag gouci

Quote:
Before you ever noticed tennis existed, LB was there in Hawaii in 2004 (and 97).
Was the internet around in 97? Trying to follow college tennis before the internet must have been tough.

3 main sites allow me to follow tennis daily. TRN, this one and CTO/ITA. In 2004 I probably didn't frequent any of these 3 sites so you're right about not noticing tennis back then.

Quote:
However, maybe one positive from eliminating league mandatory scheduling is that a team could stop playing unethical programs?
But the NCAA sanctioned & wins vacated USC is in the Pac 10!

One last thing. Hey Form what did you hear about why UCSD didn't make it in?
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 08:38 AM   #27
country flag gouci

What if

Quote:
This chat is tired of both of us.... let me close with:
• You have not and cannot defend the actions of your coach... he withheld the truth (lied) about Hammel's injury to stack her at # 3 and slide the line up down. He had actually submitted her at # 2 I am told but they moved her to three only after he admitted she was not better than Bisharat at that time. HOW ABOUT EVERYBODY ELSE IN THE LINE UP?
When a team feels another team stacked their line-up and should be disqualified the avenue available to them is to file a protest. A protest was filed against UCI, officials reviewed the case and ruled in UCI's favor. So Form can not argue that UCI should have been disqualified for stacking because the protest recourse was given its due process.

Maybe Form thinks Stephanie Hammel shouldn't have been allowed to play at #3 with a brace.

So let's play WHAT IF Hammel played #6 singles or didn't play at all.

Long Beach St. wins doubles point - no change

1. Byron (UCI) def. Alawi - no change

2. Bisharat(UCI) def. Dallara - no change

3. Bartlett(UCI) def. Armstrong
Even Form wouldn't be dumb enough to argue Armstrong would have beaten Bartlett after Armstrong was playing so badly that particular day she couldn't even beat Hammel, who was playing courageously with her forehand tied behind her back. Plus Bartlett was on the way to beating Armstrong in straight sets the previous year in the Big West Tournament Finals before the match was stopped unfinished.

4. Kwan (UCI) vs Manasse - toss up

5. Smith (UCI) def. Jeczmionka
If Kwan easily def. Jeczmionka 6-3,6-2, Smith would have beaten her too.

6. Cantlay (LBS) vs Hammel or Holladay
Just for arguement's sake I'll give this to LBS.

None of Form's whining points changes the fact UCI defeated LBS on the tennis court. But I concede that if Stephanie Hammel had played #6 singles or not played in the line-up at all UCI would have probably defeated Long Beach St. 4-2 instead of 4-1. THERE Form you should be happy now and we can put this issue to rest.

Last edited by gouci : Jan 24th, 2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #28
country flag RobertCB

RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice RobertCB is just really nice

Come on gouci, we all know that Rachel, Sarah, and Debs would have won giving the match to LBSU .

Now it is a new season and I am looking forward to this year's conference matches. Do you want to make a bet on who wins the conference this year gouci? I take the photos again if UCI wins but you have to sing the LBSU fight song as I photograph the LBSU team if they win. I know you will be there, I just hope you have a good voice .

Last edited by RobertCB : Jan 26th, 2011 at 02:37 AM.
RobertCB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM   #29
country flag gouci

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertCB View Post
Do you want to make a bet on who wins the conference this year gouci? I take the photos again if UCI wins but you have to sing the LBSU fight song as I photograph the LBSU team if they win.
Too late Rob. I might have taken that bet shortly after Form posted Stephanie Hoffpauir transferred to UCI. But the truth comes out that Hoffpauir went to San Diego and what Form told you, Beachman and everyone on this board turned out to be a lie. Maybe that's why Form deleted that post.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #30
country flag gouci

Rob did you take any pictures of UCI men's basketball beating Long Beach St. this weekend? I would love to see pictures of the UCI students storming the court after the huge victory.

On 2nd thought never mind. The Bren was sold out so you probably weren't able to buy a ticket and take pictures.