Thread 1975 - Page 21 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Nov 10th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #301
country flag mick1303

mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice mick1303 is just really nice
Re: Thread 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugarte View Post
Hi Mick
The Sources Of The New Zealand Championships Are
World Tennis Magazines
From The German Open I Don T Have More Results To First And Second Round Sorry
Perhaps Someone Have These Results
Thank you! Terrific job anyway
mick1303 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Nov 15th, 2010, 06:04 AM   #302
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Curious if anyone knows why BJ King played so few VS events in 1975? She did well getting to first 2 finals, splitting them w/Chris. I would think BJ might have still regarded herself as best player, or as co-#1 w/Chris. I know she retired after Wimbledon. I just don't recall if it was injuries, or what that caused her to curtail her singles entries.

Second question: does anyone who has old magazines or media guides, know how tournament seedings were handled in 1975? In the other 1975 thread, results were posted with seedings were done. In the US Indoors in March, they had Margaret Court as #1 seed, ahead of Evert. I know there was no computer ranking system back then, and I doubt they used any sort of 12 month rolling system like today's rankings. But even if they just used results from the Slims circuit, Chrissie still had a better record than Court.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #303
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

The tournament in Sarasota was originally going to be King's last singles tournament. At that point, she had no plans to play Wimbledon. She demolished Chris Evert in the final.
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ean-king&hl=en

She then became a broadcaster for ABC sports.

She obviously changed her mind about her tennis career.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #304
country flag austinrunner

austinrunner has disabled reputation

One more thing about that Sarasota tournament. King was primarily responsible for that becoming an indoor event, which obviously benefitted King more than Evert.
austinrunner is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 02:37 AM   #305
country flag DennisFitz

DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all DennisFitz is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
The tournament in Sarasota was originally going to be King's last singles tournament. At that point, she had no plans to play Wimbledon. She demolished Chris Evert in the final.

She then became a broadcaster for ABC sports.

She obviously changed her mind about her tennis career.
Thanks for posting these articles. I didn't realize King retired in January 1975. I am even more perplexed, and curious why she would have come back for the last regular Slims event in Philadelphia. I know she played the 4 woman special in Austin, because that was the kind of event that really showcased women's tennis. (And amazing that as a semi-retired player, she nearly won it, almost knocking off young #1 Chrissie. Then again, seeing how Clijsters, Henin, and Date can comeback these days and do so well after retiring, it shouldn't be so surprising what King did in 1975, and again in 1977.)

Do you know when King made the decision to play Wimbledon in 1975?

PS - I think the 1975 Slims circuit was the first time all the events were played indoors. Prior to '75, the circuit was somewhat split and played throughout the year. They consolidated it into an indoor circuit beginning in 1975.
DennisFitz is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #306
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
PS - I think the 1975 Slims circuit was the first time all the events were played indoors. Prior to '75, the circuit was somewhat split and played throughout the year. They consolidated it into an indoor circuit beginning in 1975.
That's correct Dennis. The Slims (and later Avon) circuit was totally indoors on carpet from 1975-1982. Many of the events were natinanally televised in 1975 and 1976.
Rollo is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #307
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute Rollo has a reputation beyond repute

I found one early result from the German Open:

1R: Virginia Ruzici d Laurie Tenney 6-0 7-5
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #308
Rollo
Moderator - BFTP

I'm still updating and adding in Ugarte's wonderful results in a separate thread on 1975.

One correction: The Irish Championships, traditionally held on grass, switched over to a hard court surface in 1973.
Old Apr 17th, 2013, 12:32 PM   #309
country flag AdvantageBecker

AdvantageBecker is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody knows, whether the rare German VHS-Tape of "Wimbledon 75" (Select Glasbox) is dubbed by host Peter Ustinov himself or by an other voice?
AdvantageBecker is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #310
country flag GHFB

GHFB is an unknown quantity at this point

Such an interesting thread!

What an embarrassment of riches the women's tour had then: Evert, Court, King, Goolagong, an emerging Martina, Wade. Those VS tourneys were just packed with talent. Some of the QF(!) matches alone would have done justice to a GS final.

"...Do you know when King made the decision to play Wimbledon in 1975?" - Well, according to King's bio, it was when she felt she was robbed on some linecalls against Evert at L'eggs tourney in Lakeway. She wrote she stormed into the locker room, screaming she was going to win Wimbledon!

King must have been very intimidating on the court - I've noticed in her matches at Wimbledon against Evert (especially) and Navratilova that they turn their chairs so their backs are to her on the changeovers and generally keep right away from her. The Evert-King 82 SF is on Youtube and it's really obvious Evert is making a conscious effort to "block" King and I'm sure doesn't even look at BJK till they shake hands at the end!
GHFB is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote