US Open early rounds + New Haven late round reports! - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM   #1
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute
Smile US Open early rounds + New Haven late round reports!

Hey everyone,

So I will be attending the US Open on Monday and Tuesday and POSSIBLY (hopefully ) Wednesday. I will take reports of all the matches I see and put them here. How it work is each day I can say what matches I would like to attend and I will report on the ones I see and then if anyone wants pictures from those matches, I will take them and post them, but I just have a phone camera, so don't expect much. I will do my best though.

I also went to the Wozniacki-Dementieva match in New Haven tonight. I won't post pictures, since I'm sure there are much better ones to be found and I only took three, but I do have a report of what it was like to be there (not just the actual tennis, as you saw on TV). Hopefully it's a good read, even though it is long .
So the atmosphere of the tournament was pretty good, I think people were disappointed the mens draw is so weak, but all the same enthusiastic on what there was. The stadium looks very empty on TV, but that's just because it is so big, there were a lot of people and a lot of people on the grounds outside the stadium, maybe they were day-ticket holders lagging behind or something, I'm not really sure. I have to say the future of the tournament seems a bit bleak though .
As for the match, Dementieva played quite well throughout, but just not quite well enough. The first set she won easily, but it was closer than the score. Wozniacki's injury timeout came out of nowhere and she certainly didn't act injured, so I wouldn't be alarmed. In the second set, Wozniacki played soo much better and Lena a little worse. Both played well in the third, but Elena just made too many unforced errors in the end. It was a great match though. Wozniacki is NOT a pusher, she was almost equal with Lena most of the match, just at the end she started pushing A LITTLE BIT, and that is what got her through, that she missed that little bit much less. Lena was a big headcase, talking to Mommy Vera the whole time (who looked nervous as hell, sitting all alone) and shouting Lichna and whatever else. Her grunt is loouuud, I heard some guys behind me saying they thought she was saying some word in Russian like "come on" to pump herself up . Wozniacki sure wasn't sunshine today, she was grumpy, hitting balls around the court and whacking her racquet. She is very mentally strong though! Both players are incredibly fit, Caroline showed no signs of injury and Elena looked completely fresh despite having played two three and a half hour matches to get there and then another long one today.
The crowd in New Haven absolutely adores Wozniacki, I guess because she keeps winning it, but every single point there would be "go Caroline!" shouts and when Elena would win a point unless she did something amazing there would be about five people clapping (including me ) and then at the end when they played "Sweet Caroline" the whole crowd went crazy and sang along. Nice atmosphere I guess.
I will save the funniest detail for last Piotr was sitting with a middle-aged blond woman (Mrs. Wozniacki I think?) and at the start of the match they were 2-3 seats away from Mommy Vera, but some people came and claimed those seats. Next they moved across the aisle, but those seats were claimed as well. Sitting in front of them was SHINO and another lineswoman who watched the whole match, so when the Wozniacki's got kicked out of there seats, they had a nice chat with Shino and ended up claiming her seats, forcing her to move to the middle .

Last edited by iGOAT : Aug 28th, 2010 at 06:22 AM.
iGOAT is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 28th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #2
country flag PhilePhile

PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future PhilePhile has a brilliant future
Re: US Open early rounds + New Haven late round reports!

Good report. Not long at all. But your paragraph is too freakin' long.
PhilePhile is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3
country flag iGOAT

iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute iGOAT has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I noticed that maybe I'll try to break it up a bit.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #4
country flag Melange

Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute Melange has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilePhile View Post
Good report. Not long at all. But your paragraph is too freakin' long.
Paragraph could do with more editing
Melange is online now View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #5
country flag iGOAT

It's not an essay or something. I'm just writing my thoughts on the match .
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM   #6
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome, thanks for the report! Did you see the Final by any chance?
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:04 AM   #7
country flag iGOAT

Well I'm glad you liked it I wish I had seen the final I didn't even get it to watch it by livestream or TV.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM   #8
country flag Ryan
NeverWoz

Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute Ryan has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad, but you'll see early USO stuff to make up for it.
Ryan is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 01:29 PM   #9
country flag Ferg

Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute Ferg has a reputation beyond repute

Piotr
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #10
country flag pattty

pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all pattty is a name known to all

Wow, thx for the report and looking for more!

make.belive
pattty is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #11
country flag Carotastrophe

Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future Carotastrophe has a brilliant future

Thank you for the reports! have fun in USO!!
M. Sharapova-D. Gavrilova-S. Stosur-Sun-Ling-Kai Chen
Carotastrophe is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #12
country flag TennisFan66

TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute TennisFan66 has a reputation beyond repute

Great report. Thank you! and yes, the 'middle aged blond woman' is Anna. Caro's mother .. Enjoy the Open...

WTA #1 for 67 Weeks.
2010, 2011 WTA YE#1
TennisFan66 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #13
country flag iGOAT

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like it .

So I have grounds pass for the Open tomorrow. Matches in bold are ones I plan to see for sure, matches in italics are ones that I may stop by if nothing else is on or if people want reports from them. Depending on my mood, I could see like 15 matches or just 5-6, just depends if I feel like skipping around or settling in for one match at a time .

Arthur Ashe Stadium

11:00
Women's Singles - 1st Round
Melanie Oudin(USA) vs. Olga Savchuk(UKR)

Not Before:13:00
Greta Arn(HUN) vs. Kim Clijsters(BEL)[2]

Men's Singles - 1st Round
Stephane Robert(FRA) vs. Andy Roddick(USA)[9]

Arthur Ashe Stadium

19:00
Roberta Vinci(ITA) vs. Venus Williams(USA)[3]

Brian Dabul(ARG) vs. Roger Federer(SUI)[2]

Louis Armstrong Stadium

Nikolay Davydenko(RUS)[6] vs. Michael Russell(USA)

Daniela Hantuchova(SVK)[24] vs. Dinara Safina(RUS)

Samantha Stosur(AUS)[5] vs. Elena Vesnina(RUS)

Not Before:17:00
Lleyton Hewitt(AUS)[32] vs. Paul-Henri Mathieu(FRA)

Grandstand

Francesca Schiavone(ITA)[6] vs. Ayumi Morita(JPN)

Robin Soderling(SWE)[5] vs. Andreas Haider-Maurer(AUT)

Taylor Dent(USA) vs. Alejandro Falla(COL)

Ana Ivanovic(SRB) vs. Ekaterina Makarova(RUS)

Court 4

Martin Klizan(SVK) vs. Juan Carlos Ferrero(ESP)[22]

Shahar Peer(ISR)[16] vs. Jelena Kostanic Tosic(CRO)

Ricardas Berankis(LTU) vs. Ryan Sweeting(USA)

Timea Bacsinszky(SUI) vs. Jie Zheng(CHN)[21]

Court 6

Johanna Larsson(SWE) vs. Alisa Kleybanova(RUS)[28]

Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova(RUS)[20] vs. Kristina Barrois(GER)

Jurgen Melzer(AUT)[13] vs. Dmitry Tursunov(RUS)

Michael Berrer(GER) vs. Andreas Beck(GER)

Court 7

Illya Marchenko(UKR) vs. Marin Cilic(CRO)[11]

Michelle Larcher De Brito(POR) vs. Sania Mirza(IND)

Tsvetana Pironkova(BUL)[32] vs. Renata Voracova(CZE)

Kevin Anderson(RSA) vs. Somdev Devvarman(IND)

Court 8

Vera Dushevina(RUS) vs. Alona Bondarenko(UKR)[29]

Igor Andreev(RUS) vs. Horacio Zeballos(ARG)

Virginie Razzano(FRA) vs. Klara Zakopalova(CZE)

Rebecca Marino(CAN) vs. Ksenia Pervak(RUS)

Court 10

Simon Greul(GER) vs. Richard Gasquet(FRA)

Petra Kvitova(CZE)[27] vs. Lucie Hradecka(CZE)

Albert Montanes(ESP)[21] vs. Michal Przysiezny(POL)

Court 11

Olga Govortsova(BLR) vs. Elena Dementieva(RUS)[12]

Gael Monfils(FRA)[17] vs. Robert Kendrick(USA)

Monica Niculescu(ROU) vs. Victoria Azarenka(BLR)[10]

Tim Smyczek(USA) vs. Thomaz Bellucci(BRA)[26]

Irina Falconi(USA) vs. Flavia Pennetta(ITA)[19]

Court 12

Thiemo de Bakker(NED) vs. Marc Gicquel(FRA)

Sally Peers(AUS) vs. Aleksandra Wozniak(CAN)

Agnes Szavay(HUN) vs. Sandra Zahlavova(CZE)

Court 13

Kei Nishikori(JPN) vs. Evgeny Korolev(KAZ)

Ivan Dodig(CRO) vs. Fernando Gonzalez(CHI)[27]

Marion Bartoli(FRA)[13] vs. Edina Gallovits(ROU)

Vania King(USA) vs. Christina McHale(USA)

Court 14

Bjorn Phau(GER) vs. Ricardo Mello(BRA)

Zuzana Ondraskova(CZE) vs. Sybille Bammer(AUT)

Pauline Parmentier(FRA) vs. Alberta Brianti(ITA)

Court 15

Sara Errani(ITA) vs. Tathiana Garbin(ITA)

Bojana Jovanovski(SRB) vs. Anastasia Rodionova(AUS)

Janko Tipsarevic(SRB) vs. Olivier Rochus(BEL)

Court 16

Maria Elena Camerin(ITA) vs. Sophie Ferguson(AUS)

Gisela Dulko(ARG) vs. Angelique Kerber(GER)

Leonardo Mayer(ARG) vs. Guillaume Rufin(FRA)

Court 17

Elena Baltacha(GBR) vs. Petra Martic(CRO)

Polona Hercog(SLO) vs. Mandy Minella(LUX)

Carsten Ball(AUS) vs. Milos Raonic(CAN)

I'm sure I'll miss some of those, and I may watch some others, but that is the plan as of now .
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #14
FORZA SARITA

FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute FORZA SARITA has a reputation beyond repute

you like flavia now? j/k
FORZA SARITA is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:35 AM   #15
country flag iGOAT

OK I'm back, so here are my reports .

General report of the day:
I didn't get there until almost 12 and it was absolutely sweltering hot. I went to watch Lena D right away, but I had to stand, which made my back hurt, so I wanted to sit down when it was over. None of the matches I had been interested in were on, but I saw Dushevina and Alona Bondarenko were deep in the third so I went to see that. Afterwards I wandered around the grounds, bought a hat and then tried to watch Soderling. It was completely full though and I didn't want to wait to get in, so I tried to see Monfils instead, however that was crammed full as well. I saw Sally Peers and Wozniak warming up (match before Ági) so I knew I had time to watch something else, so I went to see LDL and Mirza. After five games I left to find out Peers had already won, so I got some fries and went to watch Ágnes play. That went fast, so I tried Soderling again and snuck in through an exit and found a seat on the stairs. I only saw the fifth set, so next I went to see Pironkova play. This as hardly full at all, which was a nice change from the crowded Robin match. It is pretty clear at that point that the men's matches there are better-attended. Once that ended I went to see Azarenka-Niculescu and ironically that was completely full, so it took me a while to get a seat. I enjoyed that match most probably, watching the whole second and third sets, so once it was finished I got my dinner then went to watch The Fistpump play on Grandstand. I watched most of that match and left around 8:00. I took pictures of matches that were on non-televised courts with my phone. They aren't the best quality, but hopefully people will enjoy them since these matches weren't televised so there might not be any other pictures from them.

Dementieva - Govortsova
No pictures from this match, because it was on a televised court. O arrived right after the first set and my first impression is that Lena is basically a better version of Olga. They have similar power, but Lena misses left and can defend and put away shots better, so that gives her most points. Even in this early routine match, Lena was talking away to Mommy Vera the whole time, who was sitting right behind her chair. Apparently Mommy Vera is scared of the sun, as she had long sleeves on and a big white hat, I could barely recognize her . The crowd was very kind to Lena, you could they appreciate what she has done and her being on a smaller court today (Court 11), so that was nice. Lena's dress was nice (especially for Yonex) and looked good on her, but on closer glance it doesn't fit her quite right, and stuck out awkwardly at the top in her back and the bottom at the front. Govortsova seemed to be okay, but she had some tape on her knee, so she is injured I guess. Most points ultimately ended in unforced errors (usually by Olga), but Lena was focused and played well, and led Olga to missing I would say. However, at 5-1, Lena seemed to want the match to be over and got out of the heat and this crowded outside court, so she rushed a bit. She lost that game and made a big mess out of the last game. Down 0-40 serving for the match at 5-2, Lena hit the same serve she had at 5-6 (0-40) against Wozniacki in New Haven and it was an ace again, so I thought she might come back again, and sure enough she did, although it took much longer this time. After the match, Olga seemed to take it well, but she left the court very quickly. Despite having rushed to finish the match, Lena was adorable to the fans, and literally signed every single autograph request.

Dushevina - Alona Bondarenko
I took some pictures here, so they are below. Basically, I arrived at *4-3 Dushevina in the third and both players looked hot and tired. Vera looked like Pushevina at that point, they were having long rallies, but Vera was just pushing it back, while Alona was hitting it a little bit more. The crowd was for Alona and she broke to level the match as soon as I got there by just having stronger shots. Alona could be injured though as she had an ankle brace. The last two games were both long, but Vera looked exhausted and kept pushing, and Alona attacked enough to win, but not exactly amazing tennis. Vera was pissed and upset afterwards and took off quickly, while Alona stayed around for a while. She signed tons of autographs (everyone who asked) and also took pictures and shook hands with several people. She seems like a cool cat. Kateryna was waiting at the edge of the court to congratulate her and looked very bored waiting for Alona with all the fans. She was wearing practice gear, but wasn't sweaty or anything, so I guess she was practicing later. Finally as Kateryna was about to leave, Alona finished with the fans and handed her racquet bag to someone then walked back to the locker room with her sister. I stalked them and got a picture.
Alona's forehand
Alona's serve
Vera's serve
Alona after match point
Alona and Vera's handshake
Vera reflects as she leaves the court
Vera leaving in disappointment
Alona and Kateryna walking to the locker room

I will continue in the next post so I don't exceed the picture limit.