Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2 - Page 68 - TennisForum.com
TennisForum.com   Wagerline.com MensTennisForums.com TennisUniverse.com
TennisForum.com is the premier Women's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #1006
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Steffi Graf Admiration Thread Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyGrey View Post
haha... its like he wanted to say " not as well as I want to *rawr*"
MistyGrey, I agree lol! that was a very interesting answer to give
XTN is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Aug 14th, 2010, 06:14 AM   #1007
country flag XTN

XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light XTN is a glorious beacon of light

Some nice comments from the other top players of 99:

Quote:
Q. Hear about Steffi Graf's retirement; what are your thoughts on that? You of all people should have a good idea of what she has gone through over the years.

PETE SAMPRAS: Well, I haven't experienced the injuries she has had. She had -- she has also been out there longer than I have. She has been playing since she was 14. After coming back from an injury and having won 22 Grand Slam titles, I mean, I can kind of sympathize what she is going through because when you are on top it is not easy to maintain it and girls are getting younger and better and she has had an unbelievable career; obviously one of the best ever. Did it with a lot of class. She went out and got the job done and she made her racket do her talking. I have always looked up to her, the way she approached the game. She worked very hard and is a great athlete. But she -- nothing to be ashamed of after winning 22 Grand Slams. That is not easy.
Quote:
Q. ...the men's Tour and women's Tour are different, but is she the kind of player that has had so much success that even the men are looking at her and saying wow, this is an incredible career....

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: Yeah, I think it was at least for me when I was starting, she was already one of the tops with 17, 16 she was getting so much results like fortunate we all have to see that it is maybe one or two persons in the world can do this or fortunate really appreciate the way she played for all these years. I think she was one of the players who has style too. I like the way she plays. We know how hard it is to do all these things.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #1008
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Guga's statement
djul14 is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #1009
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

I also like what Krajicek said:
Quote:
Q. Steffi Graf is retiring. She announced it today. Any comment on that?

RICHARD KRAJICEK: Yeah, it is a shame in a way, she was I think very important for the women's game. Also automatically for the men's game because tennis is tennis, a man or woman. In a way it affected after announcing basically she wasn't coming back to Wimbledon and to the French, but I think it is one of the greatest players ever in tennis and even the greatest player. She won so many Grand Slams and she was always such a good athlete and good sports woman on the court, really conducted herself well and a good example for everybody. So it is a shame. In a way I respect her and I think it is also a good feeling that she had so many injury troubles and I think it would not have been nice if she would have stopped and not winning so much, but yeah, she won the French and finals of Wimbledon, so I think with a good feeling she stopped now. I think she has achieved everything she wanted and she can go on to do whatever she wants. I think that is good if you feel your time is there, doesn't matter if you are 28, 35, or 40, she felt it was now. I think it was a good choice.

Q. A few years ago you gave an opinion on women's tennis and Steffi was the only one you were respecting?

RICHARD KRAJICEK: I haven't said too much about women lately. I always respected Steffi and a couple of players, but I think Steffi, like I said, she has been a good example for everybody, man or woman, and she has been an ambassador for tennis. She has been a good sportswoman throughout her career and I always respected that.

Q. Will people realize more sort of what she was able to do in her career once people try to start doing some of the things that she did?

RICHARD KRAJICEK: No, I think people realize now with so many Grand Slams and dominating so much, so many years it was really -- yeah, I think people do realize it. I mean, once in a while you have somebody dominate for one year or two years, Hingis was dominating for a while. Monica still, with that terrible incident, was dominating. She has been really dominating 6-7 years, 360 weeks she was No. 1 or something. It is unbelievable. So it is going to be very difficult to equal what she has done or even come close. But, yeah, you never know. In ten years, 20 years when I am not even around anymore, I don't know maybe somebody gets up and starts beating what she has achieved, but she certainly achieved a lot. I think it is pretty amazing.
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 07:56 PM   #1010
country flag djul14

djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all djul14 is a name known to all

Wow, even more surprising to read it as we know what Krajicek thinks about women's tennis lol.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM   #1011
country flag djul14

L'Equipe frontpage from August 14, 1999 (not top quality but not my should)
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 11:48 AM   #1012
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

It is always nice to read how much she was appreciated and respected by the male players, it was also very nice at the end of the wtt in 2005, a male pro from the other team stepped up to her and said; ''it's an honour to be on the court with you''.
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #1013
country flag bia

bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light bia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
L'Equipe frontpage from August 14, 1999 (not top quality but not my should)
I still have this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warriorroger View Post
It is always nice to read how much she was appreciated and respected by the male players, it was also very nice at the end of the wtt in 2005, a male pro from the other team stepped up to her and said; ''it's an honour to be on the court with you''.
Do you remember who he was?
bia is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #1014
country flag XTN

bia, I was going to ask the same question. Warriorroger, do you remember which male player it was?
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1015
country flag XTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by djul14 View Post
Wow, even more surprising to read it as we know what Krajicek thinks about women's tennis lol.
LOL well I do know that Krajicek has been quite disparaging to women's tennis then but he has always held Steffi in utmost regard.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 04:28 PM   #1016
country flag djul14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bia View Post
I still have this.
So do I
I have others with her on the front page but too huge to scan, and some newspapers on L'Equipe website are missing.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #1017
country flag Warriorroger

Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold Warriorroger is a splendid one to behold

I will find the tape and try to find out who the player was, he was on the team with Ana Kounikova, he had long hair and wore his cap backwards, all teams were shaking hands and the moment he got to her he said that he was honoured to be on the court with her. I'll get back to you all.
Warriorroger is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #1018
country flag R-K-M

R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future R-K-M has a brilliant future

From The Telegraph,India

My Fundays
Steffi Graf
This tennis legend from Germany became the first tennis player to win all four Grand Slam singles titles and the Olympic gold medal in the same year in 1988. She is the only player to have won all four Grand Slam singles tournaments at least four times each

I grew up in Mannheim on the eastern banks of the Rhine, the second largest city in Baden-Worttemburg, Germany. I had a beautiful childhood but it was short and rather different from that of other children in our country and elsewhere.

I started liking tennis when I was very young. After I was born, my father Peter started playing tennis and giving instruction in it to supplement his income. So, at home, tennis was in the air. I was only three years and nine months when I was given a wooden racket. I would tie a rope between two chairs and that would be the net, our living room was the court and I would play with Dad. Soon I got the basement as the court and there was a sofa which served as the net. I received all sorts of encouragement from Papa. Everyday he would give me sweets or toys as prizes for playing well.

Papa discovered my talent in the game and took me to Munich for a tournament when I was only five years old. That was 1974 and the tournament was for the under-seven age group. I lost and left the court in tears. But very soon I started winning in my age group, and sometimes I even defeated girls who were senior to me.

The very next year Papa contacted the head coach of the Baden Tennis Centre, the regional centre of our national tennis federation. The head coach rejected me first but after playing with me he was rather pleased.

Early in the morning Papa would drive me out of bed and I would practise till 8am. Then I would go to school. This was my life till I turned 13, when I turned professional and had to travel around the world for a lot of tournaments.

For the sake of tennis, I missed out on many things as a child. I loved music and keeping pets. Both my parents were very caring and my younger brother was my playmate. Grandma was affectionate and also a good cook.

Ever since I turned pro, I did not find the time to meet my schoolmates. I missed them very much.

I love peace and hate wars. I am concerned for all children distressed and displaced due to wars. If you like you can also join me in helping them overcome the trauma of war.
"She's one of the greatest players, may be even greatest" - Richard Krajicek
"Steffi is the best all around player of all-time, regardless of surfaces" - Martina Navratilova
"Steffi is definitely the greatest singles player ever" - Billie Jean King
R-K-M is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #1019
juliehardwick

juliehardwick has disabled reputation

That's a strange article. It doesn't sound like her at all.
juliehardwick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #1020
country flag blauundweiss

blauundweiss is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes. Sounds rather like a school assignment work to make a Steffi story.
blauundweiss is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote